Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zenintrude posted:

She and Ben Foster are so different from what they became over the last decade.

Well, they've also gone from early 20s to early 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

Well, The Office used to be a faux documentary but that angle was dropped long ago and now the cameras are so omnipresent it's more a taped comedy that allows 4th wall breaking.

Right. The British Office changed shows. Now things like Modern Family and Parks and Rec use On The Fly interviews like it is reality TV and they don't even pretend that it is supposed to be a documentary. They're just convenient breaks to the story to fill with jokes.

The found footage thing is like that too. It isn't like Cloverfield anymore. It has been proven time and time again that the hand held camera aspect adds scares to a weak script by making you feel like you're there.

It can be done quite well (I defy anyone to find a scarier part of the movie Signs than the Mexican birthday party scene) and it can be stupid.

But they don't really follow the rules any more, multiple camera angles, no real time wasted on coming up with how the footage was found, etc.

Which is fine with me. It's like, let's all agree on this so I don't throw up from shaky camera angles or have to sacrifice scope.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

If you were wondering why the blonde girl from 5second films stopped showing up for a while, now you know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kiimo posted:

So here's our new one. This film got snatched up and fast-tracked and we had to turn this around super fast with Alcon.

I will listen to and accept any and all criticisms and flimsily defend ourselves while blaming the other company for anything you don't like.

The trailer seemed interesting enough, and the poster looks awesome. I love pretty much anything to do with Chernobyl/Pripyat, so this poster instantly identifies to me that even more poo poo is gonna down in that area, which has me sold. I'll be seeing this :)

My only criticism would be that the type is a little hard on the eyes. But I don't know how I would have done it any differently.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

Right. The British Office changed shows. Now things like Modern Family and Parks and Rec use On The Fly interviews like it is reality TV and they don't even pretend that it is supposed to be a documentary. They're just convenient breaks to the story to fill with jokes.

The found footage thing is like that too. It isn't like Cloverfield anymore. It has been proven time and time again that the hand held camera aspect adds scares to a weak script by making you feel like you're there.

It can be done quite well (I defy anyone to find a scarier part of the movie Signs than the Mexican birthday party scene) and it can be stupid.

But they don't really follow the rules any more, multiple camera angles, no real time wasted on coming up with how the footage was found, etc.

Which is fine with me. It's like, let's all agree on this so I don't throw up from shaky camera angles or have to sacrifice scope.

It all seems like laziness to me, especially the 'to camera' interviews. In the original The Office, the documentary style had real influence on the characters (people responding to it being aired, Tim taking off his mic, Brent's 'celebrity', etc...) where as the other shows you mentioned just use it for jokes the writers couldn't organically weave into the dialogue. They're the same asides to the audience which used to be done by people speaking to each other without others in the scene hearing. Arrested Development was different because it used all the conventions of documentaries except for those which had characters break the fourth wall.

Found footage only works for me when there is a legitimate reason for it (like the spanish REC), as in there needs to be a good reason why the character continues to film, not just a loose premise for why they're holding the camera in the first place.

Nice poster btw :)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The trailer seemed interesting enough, and the poster looks awesome. I love pretty much anything to do with Chernobyl/Pripyat, so this poster instantly identifies to me that even more poo poo is gonna down in that area, which has me sold. I'll be seeing this :)

My only criticism would be that the type is a little hard on the eyes. But I don't know how I would have done it any differently.

Here's the problem, the billing block and the pedigree have rules. So the filmmakers selected a certain font that they want to use. The producers want Oren Peli's name at the top. But the unions have rules. The DGA has rules. The font below needs to be the same size as the font above.

The font they selected for the top makes the billing block huge and cuts off the town so you have to massage it to make everything work. You can see at the bottom that the director's name is down there alone. Well, Oren Peli and the Van Dykes that wrote the screenplay together can't be broken up, they have to be on the same line. The two guys that run Alcon together, Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove need to be on the same lines. Alcon, Filmnation and Oren Peli/Witten's company need to be on the same line. And on and on and on.

In the end we went with a font close to what the filmmakers wanted and would sign off on and not take up half the space. It is a little hard to see but on one-sheet size it is easier to read.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the Ad Pub Guidelines that make up poster legal bullshit.

Chaddicus
Apr 1, 2012

Ex libris.

kiimo posted:

So here's our new one. This film got snatched up and fast-tracked and we had to turn this around super fast with Alcon.

I will listen to and accept any and all criticisms and flimsily defend ourselves while blaming the other company for anything you don't like.

I think it's cool. No suggestions here. :shobon:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

kiimo posted:

"25 May"? On a US poster? Is that just to make it look more "Russian"? Because nothing else about the poster really fits with that.

EDIT: I guess the title font is vaguely Cyrillic-looking, but that's it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

kiimo posted:

I will concede this point to you, as the movie wasn't very scary at all.

Was it supposed to be a scary movie? It came off as more... a boring movie, than anything.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I really dig it, kiimo. I like that you can kind of see a skull in the radiation symbol, but it's clearly a radiation symbol.

Good stuff.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
My only minor complaint is that the clouds that make up the radiation symbol don't really look like clouds at first glance. They look more like big black holes until you get a chance to look a little closer, but like I said that's minor. Pretty good poster.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I didn't realise it was the radiation symbol for a while, I just looked at it and saw a warped skull, which made sense to me as it is a radiation-themed horror movie. I guess it wasn't until the word radiation popped into my head I realised it wasn't a skull at all, or at least not intentionally. :downs:

Edit: Looking it over again, it's actually the shape of the cloud that form a skull shape, and my mind filled in the eyes and nose hole automatically based on that. Also, looking at the thumbnail it's immediately obvious its the radiation symbol, but bringing the full size on my screen like how I originally saw it makes me see the skull first because my eyes are drawn to the white space.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 24, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And to bring us all back down to earth, take a gander at this piece of poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
James Cromwell as Kirk Douglas

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've never wanted to see a film less.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I must be looking at it wrong, because the horse looks like it has a googly eye :psyduck:

Also, there's no way a human could stay in that position on top of a horse in motion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've never wanted to see a film less.

I dunno. I'd check it out on HBO or Showtime if indeed that 9 year old lesbian does get tossed off her horse and seriously injured like she seems to be in the poster.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

and now I can't unsee it. That horse is pissed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I initially misread that as Cowgirls 'N Aliens and thought it might be a Syfy Saturday Night shitfest.

That said: N'

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
In 1939, the residents of a small town in Kansas took shelter from a tornado.
They said it was safe...
It wasn't.

In the 13th century, King Edward I of England addressed his loyal subjects.
He said it was safe...
It wasn't.

In the spring of 1910, Jane and Michael Banks were left alone with a baby-sitter.
They said it was safe...
It wasn't.

In 1985, Jorge Orta hit a slow roller toward first base and ran for his life.
They said it was safe...
It wasn't.

...okay, I'll stop now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Sigourney Weaver in the clichéd "walking away from the photoshop explosion whilst wearing sunglasses" routine. Really? Sigourney Weaver?

This one has some new posters. They are not good either.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Hahaha, the super-warm and blown-out lighting on this one really makes it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

Aside from "Experience the Fallout", I really like it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hahaha, the super-warm and blown-out lighting on this one really makes it.
"The Cold Light of Day"? I know, let's make it look like a beautiful summer afternoon, like the kind where you just want to skip work and go to the beach, that'll totally work!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

And to bring us all back down to earth, take a gander at this piece of poo poo.

What the gently caress is this bullshit

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenophon posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit

If the poster is anything to go by, coma inducing pap. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

This poster evokes one word to me: dreary.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
James Cromwell wants to die.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

James Cromwell wants to die.
Did he have a stroke or something? Because going by that poster....

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I know James Cromwell is old but man does he look old there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mel Gibson's latest. Apparently he spends the holidays shooting everyone and being all crazy. Are you sure this isn't a documentary?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I saw a trailer for that more than a month ago and it was called "Get the Gringo". Maybe those posters are for the international release?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Here's the problem, the billing block and the pedigree have rules. So the filmmakers selected a certain font that they want to use. The producers want Oren Peli's name at the top. But the unions have rules. The DGA has rules. The font below needs to be the same size as the font above.

The font they selected for the top makes the billing block huge and cuts off the town so you have to massage it to make everything work. You can see at the bottom that the director's name is down there alone. Well, Oren Peli and the Van Dykes that wrote the screenplay together can't be broken up, they have to be on the same line. The two guys that run Alcon together, Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove need to be on the same lines. Alcon, Filmnation and Oren Peli/Witten's company need to be on the same line. And on and on and on.

In the end we went with a font close to what the filmmakers wanted and would sign off on and not take up half the space. It is a little hard to see but on one-sheet size it is easier to read.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the Ad Pub Guidelines that make up poster legal bullshit.

Your job sounds like someone dumps a box full of hopelessly tangled christmas lights on your desk in the morning and tells you to have it straightened out by lunch.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vagabundo posted:

Man, Farmer Hoggett is looking old there :(

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Get the Gringo is a title that makes me want to see the film. It sounds horribly amusing. If only the posters weren't so average...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I saw a trailer for that more than a month ago and it was called "Get the Gringo". Maybe those posters are for the international release?

Likely. I don't think most people outside of the Western Hemisphere know what a "gringo" is.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Young Freud posted:

Likely. I don't think most people outside of the Western Hemisphere know what a "gringo" is.

There's people outside the western hemisphere!?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

kiimo posted:

Get out of here P.O.S.T.E.R :)

Looks good, I like the idea of the trefoil being a skull but I'm pretty sure it's been done already.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Young Freud posted:

"Get the gwailo", problem solved.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Vagabundo posted:

Mel Gibson's latest. Apparently he spends the holidays shooting everyone and being all crazy. Are you sure this isn't a documentary?

Im not sure having Mel Gibson walk away from what looks like a Concentration Camp is really the best imagery for him these days.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Spent his summer vacation coming up with the final solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

People know what a gringo is. We've seen far more than enough American movies and TV to know what a gringo is.

Which reminds me, did Captain America suffer at all in the foreign market like people kept saying it probably would?