Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh boy here we go

First single off Sonata Arctica's new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc2upc_erQ

haha I remember when I kinda liked these guys

in fairness, I was 13. Even Unia wasn't that terrible (yet still not good) in retrospect, but man oh man The Days of Gays was so awful. And this is going to be even more terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Welp, my internet just came back up and I'm actually mad that I watched that.

Silence was such a cool album, I'm gonna pretend like all the others just don't exist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

deadwing posted:

haha I remember when I kinda liked these guys

in fairness, I was 13. Even Unia wasn't that terrible (yet still not good) in retrospect, but man oh man The Days of Gays was so awful. And this is going to be even more terrible.

They had some legit great albums. Unia confirmed that they were done though.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The worst part about it is you just know there is some fat girl out there with tears in her eyes screaming along to this because it speaks to her.

If Hot Topic had a theme song, this would be it.

Jesus christ this is bad. The whole song is the chorus.

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010
Wow, these guys were my gateway into metal, sad times.

I was trying really hard to like it at first, but yeah... black tears and Calvin killed it for me.

Edit: Anybody else make it to Paganfest this year? I made it to the one in SF, and had a great time.

Huntress was much better than I expected, and Arkona was one of the best live sets I've seen thus far.

Manatee Insanity fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 23, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh boy here we go

First single off Sonata Arctica's new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc2upc_erQ

Hooolllllllyyyyyy gently caress.

Are they trying to get into Eurovision or something? Guys, that isn't something to be proud of.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Im not sure how much of these songs has been already spread around, but for anyone curious to hear more of the album and how NOT GREAT it is, this guy has a bunch of 1:30 second clips uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/user/edselom

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm getting embarrassed to admit I even enjoyed their first 4 albums. Their last couple have been that terrible and this one is somehow even worse.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Someone posted this in the Youtube thread in PYF. I found it amusing. A cat drums to death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LTf-dVfuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LTf-dVfuo

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Watain, Behemoth and In Solitude were amazing tonight. The Devil's Blood sucked, while the opening local doom metal band was pretty cool.

I am hurting.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
For those of you lamenting the state of Sonata Arctica, might I recommend checking out a band from Italy called Bejelit. Their singer is a dead-ringer for Tony Kakko.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

henpod posted:

Someone posted this in the Youtube thread in PYF. I found it amusing. A cat drums to death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LTf-dVfuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LTf-dVfuo

Thank your for bringing a smile to my face this morning.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just found out that Borknagar released a new album last month. Has anybody listened to it? Thoughts? It seems to have pretty positive reviews, and I loved their previous album(s), so I'll likely be checking it out regardless.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I just found out that Borknagar released a new album last month. Has anybody listened to it? Thoughts? It seems to have pretty positive reviews, and I loved their previous album(s), so I'll likely be checking it out regardless.

I thought it was pretty meh, but I'm not exactly a huge fan. If you loved the previous stuff you'll probably enjoy it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

CornHolio posted:

Vortex's return makes it listenable, as I'd disregarded the band since Empiricism. I'm sure someone's posted "Epochalypse" on Youtube by now, listen to that and decide for yourself.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Full dates

I'll be at the Milwaukee show on the 17th. Very excited for this tour.

nerve fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 23, 2012

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

nerve posted:

I'll also be there and was actually worried that it would be scheduled on a bad weekend.

Very excited and can't wait for the first comment of someone making GBS threads all over this tour.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nerve posted:

Full dates

Why would you go? Exhumed alone simply isn't worth that price or ear torture...

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Killsion posted:

Why would you go? Exhumed alone simply isn't worth that price or ear torture...

Primary reason is that I like many of the bands on the tour.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

extendedsolo posted:

I'll also be there and was actually worried that it would be scheduled on a bad weekend.

And I got the luck of the draw too and it's on my night off work. :woop:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nerve posted:

Full dates

I can read every single one of those band logos.

Tour isn't metal enough.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I can read every single one of those band logos.

Tour isn't metal enough.

This is a problem. Hmm...

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I even like some of the -core bands that are in that tour... too bad the crowd will be poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's a whole lot of bands I don't care about to see Cannibal and Goatwhore.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

s0nar posted:

+Exhumed for me

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

s0nar posted:

I dunno, Cerebral Bore are pretty catchy (though they'd probably only be playing for about twenty minutes).

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$
Hi Metal Thread!
I really like one album by Black Dahlia Murder. Before you start yelling at me about being lame, is there anything really reminiscent of Nocturnal? Really fast paced with shifting melodies. Here is my favourite song from the album. I am not sure what it is about that particular song that i really like, maybe it's the thinly veiled castlevania references, but i've been searching for something similar for quite some time.

Hugs and kisses Metal Thread <3
-Valk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taco_Fury
Apr 6, 2006

To apologize, I'll cut my source of pleasure.

Valk posted:

Hi Metal Thread!
I really like one album by Black Dahlia Murder. Before you start yelling at me about being lame, is there anything really reminiscent of Nocturnal? Really fast paced with shifting melodies. Here is my favourite song from the album. I am not sure what it is about that particular song that i really like, maybe it's the thinly veiled castlevania references, but i've been searching for something similar for quite some time.

-Valk

Is this a serious post? I cannot tell...going to assume it is. I love TBDM, but their best are Deflorate and Ritual. Definitely a band that gets better with each album. Unhallowed (their first) is still a great "KICK YOU IN THE loving FACE" disc, though, even if it's not as mature as their later stuff.

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

Taco_Fury posted:

Is this a serious post? I cannot tell...going to assume it is. I love TBDM, but their best are Deflorate and Ritual. Definitely a band that gets better with each album. Unhallowed (their first) is still a great "KICK YOU IN THE loving FACE" disc, though, even if it's not as mature as their later stuff.
Hahaha, I can see how it might be interpreted as a joke but no, it isn't. I am a really big fan of Nocturnal, but not so much their other albums I've heard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Valk posted:

Hahaha, I can see how it might be interpreted as a joke but no, it isn't. I am a really big fan of Nocturnal, but not so much their other albums I've heard.

Pretty much any Gothenburg band after Slaughter of the Soul was released will sound like the building blocks for TBDM.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

s0nar posted:

Cannibal and Goatwhore. +Exhumed.

I'll go for this, but stay to see the 250 lbs. (+plus) biker rednecks squish the poo poo out of the the teenage hipsters in the circle pits only to jumped by 10 to 12 of them like a pack of androgynous faux pas fashion wolves.

Valk posted:

I really like one album by Black Dahlia Murder.

I'm with you Valk. I dig me some old school Black Dahlia Murder as well. While I can certainly appreciate the well developed craft of their later albums like Ritual and Deflorate, I still have a soft spot for Unhallowed, Miasma and Nocturnal. I still like to crank Unhallowed from time to time. I mean, The Blackest Incarnation? That shits just evil!

To answer your question on similar material, there is always At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul or Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt or even some early In Flames like The Jester Race thru Clayman for shifting melodies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

In Flames - The Jester Race

This is the album that got me into melodic Gothenburg-style stuff, so I wholeheartedly agree.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Valk posted:

Hi Metal Thread!

-Valk

Caliban is about the only band close to TBDM that I like but I'm sure you'd like them. Their new album I am nemesis is pretty good.

And yes, The Jester Race is great.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I would also suggest any of the blackened- or technical thrash groups, specifically Behemoth ("Lucifer", NWS) and Colosso ("Demolish to Rebuild"). There's a black metal thread that can be of some help with the former.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Well, what the hell, I always thought these guys were some lame metalcore band for some reason. Turns out I was totally wrong, this is pretty good stuff.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Valk posted:

Hi Metal Thread!

-Valk

If you like that song Lamb Of God should be right up your alley

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Listening to that Sonata Arctica track is like having an audio form of wicca vomited directly into your brain.

Here's some eclectic poo poo I've been listening to recently.

Electric Wizard Stoner/Doom/Whatever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkOvx1dBI2E&feature=share

Wizard Rifle An enigmatic mathy/prog duo from PDX. Sounds like the cool parts of all of your favorite songs got into a car full of calculators and slammed it into a wall on the subgenre highway. or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDcG5naGX4

Pallbearer retro-tinged, almost uplifting doom with some seriously badass vocals. People have been throwing around Dio comparisons and I'd be inclined to say they're apt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBUiuRWh3I&feature=related

Occultation Doom-ey, slithering, evil surf rock kind of poo poo featuring Nameless Void of Negative Plane on the guitars.

http://soundcloud.com/brooklynvegan/occultation-living-portrait

Atriarch Seething, blackened death-rock shrouded in some really sinister sounding mysticism. I feel like I might have posted these dudes here before, but they deserve a reposting. Wait for the track to hit its stride and tell me these guys aren't picking up right where motherfucking Weakling left off.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13432-offerings/

Giant Squid Fun nautical themed proggy poo poo featuring Jackie Perez Gratz of Grayceon on the cello. Saw them open for Alcest in SF last week and was thoroughly entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrI_bYlXM8g

That mix is all over the place, I know. Hopefully some of you dig some of it.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The new Ketzer album is pretty good, as is the new Desaster.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Clit Avoider posted:

The new Ketzer album is pretty good, as is the new Desaster.

Desaster are still around? I thought they had disappeared around five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They just put out a few mediocre albums and slipped off the radar a bit.

Also, amazing what you can find on youtube these days - here's something for anyone who likes demo-level doom/heavy metal. I don't think either band has put anything out since, I got their stuff handed to me by two of the lunatics involved years back.