Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

menino posted:

Great thanks for the info, anything you could come up with is appreciated.

e: A somewhat strange question: I have a parent working for one of the universities I plan on applying to (actually my top choice), and they have a lot of goodwill there, although in a completely unrelated dept/field. Would mentioning this be bad form/hurt my chances?

No reason not to. At my alma mater, family members of employees got free schooling. I don't know if it applied to grad school or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
My job has just informed me that because I have a decent GPA for my nearly-finished undergraduate degree in business administration, that they'd be willing to foot the bill for an MBA if I wanted to go.

The problem is that the only reason I was able to get my BS in business was because my school had a good 80% of their classes online. The other 20% was in-class. Because of my crazy work schedule and other personal factors, I'd have to attend a 100% online university for my MBA.

My boss doesn't have a problem with online degrees, but the higher ups do and they won't pay for it. Let me correct that: they will pay for it as long as my degree or transcrips say nothing about it being an online school/class. Meaning it has to be a legitimate school that just so happens to have online classes. My transcripts or degree cannot look any different from someone who lives 1 mile from campus and physically went there.

My current school is like this. 80% of my degree was earned online, and there's literally no indication on the transcripts. My degree will not have the words "online", "internet", or "information superhighway" anywhere on it. This is what I need from the MBA program.

Can anyone recommend a school that has a physical campus that offers 100% of their classes online (but classes that they also have in a physical class if I actually wanted to)? Thanks so much, because googling this is giving me too many thebestwebsitetogetyourMBAfrom.com results.

Edit: If it helps, my GPA is a 3.84, my current job is office work but not really business related, and I am a female.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 23, 2012

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Anyone here interviewed with McKinsey? Any tips?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Milky_Sauce posted:

Can anyone recommend a school that has a physical campus that offers 100% of their classes online (but classes that they also have in a physical class if I actually wanted to)? Thanks so much, because googling this is giving me too many thebestwebsitetogetyourMBAfrom.com results.

we literally discussed this last page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post402448510

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

My meeting with the Dean at UNR went really, really smoothly. I got there 15 minutes ahead of time, and his calendar was free so we met a little early, discussed the program, and he was very pleased with my resume and work qualifications and I was back out the door before my originally scheduled start time. Since I was done so early I gave my meter time to a girl and got her number too. So good day :). I genuinely feel incredibly lucky that I was the last to get an application in for this fall's program.

Now I just hope my GPA from my BA coursework is sufficient to get me in. (I had a 3.09 GPA, which would have been better except for a traumatic death in the family where I got a 2.0/2.4 GPA for 2 semesters). Including me, they got 45 applicants and they are limiting the size of the cohort. I've sent my official transcripts to both UNR and Brandman as a just-in-case backup. I get the feeling that Brandman will accept me no matter what, but I wouldn't be terribly upset with it - their statistical data looks pretty good to me, especially their student loan repayment statistics. Also, I found out that the degree reads:

Brandman University
Part of the Chapman University System

I'm pretty interested in seeing how the cohort system will work with an online-only program and if I'm accepted I will be sure to provide regular updates for anyone else wanting to go down this path.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 23, 2012

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Not really; that's actually proving what I said, that jobs don't want to hear "online MBA" and my question was what school offers one that doesn't differentiate between an online MBA and one you get in-class.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2012

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Milky_Sauce posted:

Not really; that's actually proving what I said, that jobs don't want to hear "online MBA" and my question was what school offers one that doesn't differentiate between an online MBA and one you get in-class.

Actually, that's very similar to what we talked about, and I found that Brandman and UNR were the best choices for me (YMMV). They don't differentiate between online and in-classroom programs, and neither university has "online" or "internet" or "distance learning" anywhere on the transcripts or degree.

But really, if you want to find out about online programs, all it takes is a little bit of research. And you're probably going to have to do it yourself as I don't think people here have a tremendous amount of experience with online MBAs. Use the US News and World Report rankings as a springboard and move forward from there. Just don't treat their rankings like the ten commandments. It's only a tool to help you sort out the chaffe. I've found that most universities will get back to you within a few hours. Some even have online chat sessions you can use to get questions answered.

-----------

Also I talked to the Brandman counselor again and it turns out that Brandman is probably one of the most military-friendly institutions having campuses on several military bases and growing. That alleviates my concern that it's some kind of degree mill. And since it's a non-profit, I don't think they're out to suck up VA benefits. I'm feeling better about Brandman as a backup with everything I learn about them.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Drewski, the problem is that Brandman has no meaningful alumni recruitment network and/or job placement that I know of. I think you would be better served researching other online programs like Penn State, North Carolina, Northeastern, Arizona, etc.

Milky_Sauce, here's a c/p of the Penn State one.
What will the iMBA diploma and transcript actually say?
Your diploma will state that The Pennsylvania State University grants you the Degree of Master of Business Administration in recognition of the completion of advanced study in business administration. Additionally, your transcript will be a Penn State transcript. Neither the diploma nor the transcript will differentiate the mode (online or otherwise) in which the courses or degree was completed.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Drewski, the problem is that Brandman has no meaningful alumni recruitment network and/or job placement that I know of. I think you would be better served researching other online programs like Penn State, North Carolina, Northeastern, Arizona, etc.

Your diploma will state that The Pennsylvania State University grants you the Degree of Master of Business Administration in recognition of the completion of advanced study in business administration. Additionally, your transcript will be a Penn State transcript. Neither the diploma nor the transcript will differentiate the mode (online or otherwise) in which the courses or degree was completed.

That's a very good point you make. But with a USC almni recruitment network / job placement program, and with me already in the federal government system, I'm not necessarily sure if it is relevant to me. Definitely for other people, though. I'll have another conversation with the Brandman counselor on Friday, discuss those points with her, and report back here. Thanks :D

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewski posted:

Also I talked to the Brandman counselor again and it turns out that Brandman is probably one of the most military-friendly institutions having campuses on several military bases and growing. That alleviates my concern that it's some kind of degree mill. And since it's a non-profit, I don't think they're out to suck up VA benefits.

Having lots of classes on bases and expanding in that market makes it sound exactly like a degree mill designed around soaking up VA benefits and military tuition reimbursement.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I will give Penn State a shot. I've had a regular, full time job for about 7 years, but it's barely a business-related job. I have a 3.84 GPA (BS in Business), but I worry that and that alone will not get me into Penn State. I got an A in Accounting 1 and 2, Economics 1 and 2, and every business class, but I got a C in statistics :ohdear:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 27, 2012

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

quote:

but I got a C in statistics

As an admissions guy from Harvard once told me, "Nobody cares if you get a 'C' or one."

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Vomik posted:

Anyone here interviewed with McKinsey? Any tips?

Practice case interviews with a friend or someone else going through the recruiting process. There is no substitute for this. The fit and behavioral questions are pretty standard - just look on their website for what they are looking for in candidates to decide what experiences to highlight. McKinsey cases are a bit more structured than some of the others I had encountered, they have a few "checkpoints" where they guide you into solving particular questions rather than free-forming the whole thing and presenting it.

Edit: my best resources were Case in Point and various university case books (Wharton's especially).

lvx occvlta
Aug 26, 2004

Beyond the Dark Sun
I am enrolled in Penn State's World Campus iMBA program. I chose to go with distance learning for two reasons: first, so I can continue to work and fund/offset the cost of my education and second, to maintain my professional contacts. Consider this when you research MBA programs-- for all the networking benefits you'll receive as a full-time student, what are the potential downsides? What might you lose by being "out of the loop" for two years? In some industries, that's career suicide.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Hired_Sellout posted:

As an admissions guy from Harvard once told me, "Nobody cares if you get a 'C' or one."

I admit I'm a bit dense with puns, but I don't even get this one :saddowns:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
How do MBA programs view GPA for people who have been out of school for a while, and are they pretty strict about it?

My cumulative is pretty low (3.1) but my last 45 hours were 3.92, which was about six years ago, and the really crappy scores about 8. I didn't take the GMAT, but my GRE scores' "equivalent" is 750. I'd think I can point to the recent GPA and GRE score to make my case, but I'm not sure how formulaic MBA programs are, as I've heard law schools are pretty strict with GPA+LSAT.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

Milky_Sauce posted:

I admit I'm a bit dense with puns, but I don't even get this one :saddowns:

I think that the idea is that usually the expression would be "an x or two," implying that a few of whatever was fine. In this case, the joke is that you get one and only one, in spite of the wording.

fre3
May 27, 2003
i r winnar
Harvard grades their MBA on a 1-3 scale with 1 being top score, as opposed to the traditional 4.0 GPA scale. So he meant either an C or a 1 (A equivalent) it doesn't matter. But I think the GPA irrelevancy is only applicable to top schools.

For instance a company would probably take a C-student from Harvard than an A-student at a unranked school.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

menino posted:

How do MBA programs view GPA for people who have been out of school for a while, and are they pretty strict about it?

My cumulative is pretty low (3.1) but my last 45 hours were 3.92, which was about six years ago, and the really crappy scores about 8. I didn't take the GMAT, but my GRE scores' "equivalent" is 750. I'd think I can point to the recent GPA and GRE score to make my case, but I'm not sure how formulaic MBA programs are, as I've heard law schools are pretty strict with GPA+LSAT.

MBA programs seem to care less about GPA and more about on the GMAT, which you will probably have to take if you want to get into a good program. The scores are not comparable to the GRE and you can expect to do worse on the GMAT than you did on the GRE.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

hieronymus posted:

MBA programs seem to care less about GPA and more about on the GMAT, which you will probably have to take if you want to get into a good program. The scores are not comparable to the GRE and you can expect to do worse on the GMAT than you did on the GRE.

They are comparable, at least on the ETS site, they created a specfic matrix for evaluation. Are you saying that this isn't the case? All of hte schools I'm looking at take the GRE, just curious at whether anyone has heard how the adcoms' views align with ETS' evaluation.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

T0MSERV0 posted:

I think that the idea is that usually the expression would be "an x or two," implying that a few of whatever was fine. In this case, the joke is that you get one and only one, in spite of the wording.

Correct. I guess it's funnier when one is pants-shittingly nervous on account of applying to Harvard with borderline grades.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

hieronymus posted:

Not true. They test some different things, so, it can depend upon your particular skill set.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just finished up my last class! I graduate on Friday and officially become a baller. It was a part time program and I hurtled through it in two years so it is going to be awesome to have a social life again now.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Just finished up my last class! I graduate on Friday and officially become a baller. It was a part time program and I hurtled through it in two years so it is going to be awesome to have a social life again now.

Well done, Thoguh. I just finished year 1 of my 2 year program. Half-way to being a baller.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Got accepted to Georgetown McDonough as a round 3 applicant!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats, are you going to attend?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Absolutely. It's going to be nice seeing DC again.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My wife was recently accepted by Ross, and she's considering their offer of keeping her slot open for a year or two if she puts down a two grand deposit. I'm fundamentally against the idea of an mba, but in terms of specifics, will a Ross mba result in companies throwing money at her? She's taking the gmat again before it changes format so perhaps at the end of the day she'll get an offer from a more attractive school.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Why are you against the idea of an mba?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Anyone knowledgable about the Chicago-area job market? I'm looking at Notre Dame and UIUC among others, wondering if there is there a huge difference between the two for non-Ibanking exposure. I'm leaning towards marketing and biz development/strategy.

I'm also looking at NU and Ross but I think they're more of a stretch, and I only have GRE, no GMAT.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Would getting an MBA at a Chinese university be a bad idea? I don't really have much in the way of useful connections right now. I'm just in China, thinking of staying a while, I've got a year and a half of GI bill left, and MBAs are the most common program offered in English (my Chinese is still poo poo).

Anyone know anything about Chinese business schools?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

Why are you against the idea of an mba?

It seems a tad low class to me; I don't pretend to know everything about MBAs, and I don't want to derail the thread with criticism. I'm really just interested to know what this thread thinks about the Ross MBA programme, specifically in terms of its job prospects; my wife is seriously considering attending the programme (or paying down 2 grand to keep her slot open to attend later), and I have to figure out the job/earning prospects so that I can feel confident about whether or not the loans required would be worth it.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Agesilaus posted:

My wife was recently accepted by Ross, and she's considering their offer of keeping her slot open for a year or two if she puts down a two grand deposit. I'm fundamentally against the idea of an mba, but in terms of specifics, will a Ross mba result in companies throwing money at her? She's taking the gmat again before it changes format so perhaps at the end of the day she'll get an offer from a more attractive school.

As with anything, she will get out of the MBA what she puts into it. Ross has a great brand, and according to their site, the average graduating salary is a tad over $100,000. Of course, take those figures with a grain of salt, but it sounds like a great opportunity to me. If she works hard and does what she is supposed to do, she will probably be in a good situation when she graduates.

Also, another baller here, checkin' in for the "graduating this week" crew.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Agesilaus posted:

It seems a tad low class to me

What's low class about being a baller?

Seriously though, I have never been exposed to that particular critisism before so am intruiged. Can you elaborate?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ballers, ballers everywhere, and not a drop to drink (because the graduating MBAs DRANK IT ALL, holy poo poo)

Seriously though, this would be a lot nicer if I were among the ~50% of my graduating class with job offers

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tyro posted:

Seriously though, this would be a lot nicer if I were among the ~50% of my graduating class with job offers

A man can dream, a man can dream... :allears:

Seriously, though, I literally had my post MBA job given to me by the (then) CFO of the company who was in one of my classes... :devil:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyro posted:

Ballers, ballers everywhere, and not a drop to drink (because the graduating MBAs DRANK IT ALL, holy poo poo)

drat. Percentages like that sure make me glad I did a part time program and never quit my job. What industry are you wanting to get into?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyro posted:

What school do you go to? Are MBA programmes suffering the same way that law schools are, with large numbers of unemployed graduates? This is my number one fear, because having been through law school myself I know that american academia is not afraid to be dishonest and rip people off. Seeing the tuition fee for MBA programmes makes me worried.

Thoguh posted:

What's low class about being a baller?

Seriously though, I have never been exposed to that particular critisism before so am intruiged. Can you elaborate?

I don't know exactly what "baller" means, but I assume it has something to do with being given to money and flashy things. That's low class, and generally speaking business, finance, and marketing all involve low class concerns like popular appeal and economic profitability. In terms of MBA being a leadership development programme, I am sad to see that there is no focus on studying classical history and philosophy, and I don't believe you can build a leader worth mentioning if you don't start with the proper foundation.

Anyway, I'm happy to discuss it if it's really not going to derail the thread, but I imagine there are people who will get upset when their interests are put in perspective. I'm not saying that people can't work in finance or marketing, but rather that these are low class professions and ought to be recognised as such so that we can ensure proper supervision and regulation.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Agesilaus posted:

I don't know exactly what "baller" means, but I assume it has something to do with being given to money and flashy things. That's low class, and generally speaking business, finance, and marketing all involve low class concerns like popular appeal and economic profitability.

So what exactly do you prescribe as being a 'high class concern'? I want to understand what exactly your perspective of things are before I respond fully to this assertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

VideoTapir posted:

Would getting an MBA at a Chinese university be a bad idea? I don't really have much in the way of useful connections right now. I'm just in China, thinking of staying a while, I've got a year and a half of GI bill left, and MBAs are the most common program offered in English (my Chinese is still poo poo).

Anyone know anything about Chinese business schools?

CEIBS is very highly rated, in Shanghai. I think it was in the top 20 globally according to FT. I found a good rundown here:

http://www.uibe.edu.cn/upload/uibe_eng/News&Events/businessweek%20chinabschools.pdf

It's a few years old, but a good overview. HK is supposed to have some good schools too.