Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pricing for the Incredible 4G has come out.

Apparently Verizon thinks new phone = $299 price point even if it has some specs that are inferior to phones that have already come and gone at that pricepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
That's kinda dumb. Isn't ATT selling the One X for 199?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Pricing for the Incredible 4G has come out.

Apparently Verizon thinks new phone = $299 price point even if it has some specs that are inferior to phones that have already come and gone at that pricepoint.

That's loving bullshit, IMO.

The Razr Maxx isn't even 300. Are they thinking its better? The incredible 4g only has a vga front camera compared to the Maxx's HD front camera.

I am not going to spend that much. Anyway, as I posted in the other thread, and since people upgrading from their verizon phone might care,

I still haven't upgraded my Incredible, but the Droid Razr just dropped 50$ so now the phone is only 99$. I don't know if that's permanent, or just a thing for the time being. But, I am seriously considering getting it.

edit: the info about the incredible price might not be final because who knows if its even 'official' considering the link to the phone doesn't work on the teaser.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 23, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

double post sorry

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Doctor Butts posted:

That's loving bullshit, IMO.

The Razr Maxx isn't even 300. Are they thinking its better? The incredible 4g only has a vga front camera compared to the Maxx's HD front camera.

I am not going to spend that much. Anyway, as I posted in the other thread, and since people upgrading from their verizon phone might care,

I still haven't upgraded my Incredible, but the Droid Razr just dropped 50$ so now the phone is only 99$. I don't know if that's permanent, or just a thing for the time being. But, I am seriously considering getting it.

edit: the info about the incredible price might not be final because who knows if its even 'official' considering the link to the phone doesn't work on the teaser.

Get the Razr Maxx over the Razr.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Too late.

The Razr Maxx was out of my price range.

But, after what just happened while ordering the Razr, maybe I could have.

Some really weird crap on the Verizon site.

I log in, it says "oh hey guess what you can get the razr for 99$"
Sweet. That's in my budget. I decide I can buy it.
So I login to the site again, click "upgrade my device" and it says the phone is only 49.99.
What?
Ok, so I add it to my cart, and it says its $99 again. Ok. I go through the checkout, and then the price displays 49.99 + the $30 phone upgrade fee- $80. Ok, I guess things are going pretty good. Then out of nowhere, I am about to hit 'buy the motherfucking phone already i don't want your accessories' I keep seeing 80$... somewhere. But then it starts applying these discounts of of nowhere and by the time I'm about to click the final "are YOU SURE you want this?" button, the price charged says $36. Just the upgrade fee and the tax on the upgrade fee.

I don't get it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Doctor Butts posted:

Too late.

So I login to the site again, click "upgrade my device" and it says the phone is only 49.99.
What?
Ok, so I add it to my cart, and it says its $99 again. Ok. I go through the checkout, and then the price displays 49.99 + the $30 phone upgrade fee- $80. Ok, I guess things are going pretty good. Then out of nowhere, I am about to hit 'buy the motherfucking phone already i don't want your accessories' I keep seeing 80$... somewhere. But then it starts applying these discounts of of nowhere and by the time I'm about to click the final "are YOU SURE you want this?" button, the price charged says $36. Just the upgrade fee and the tax on the upgrade fee.

I don't get it.
If you feel like tearing poo poo up, you can turn a RAZR into a RAZR MAXX for ~$100
http://www.cellphone-repair-shop.com/verizon-droid-razr-maxx-back-housing-battery-cover-and-frame-black/
http://www.cellphone-repair-shop.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-eb40-internal-battery-with-flex-cable/

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Doctor Butts posted:

Too late.

What?

I don't get it.

If I had to hazard a guess, either your NE2 credit, or business/work discount

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Earlier today I would click on it, and the supposed price was $99 even with the $50 NE2 credit.
When I went through the shopping cart, this big red thing came up stating that my business/work discount would not apply.

Regardless, I feel like I got away with something, and kinda bummed because I feel like I could have gotten something more expensive. But, hey, its an upgrade on the incredible and I had heard about the 'maxx' conversion if I hated the battery life.

edit: that's odd. It showed my NE2 discount as 50, but in the final checkout it shows the discount as 99.00. I guess it was the NE2 discount then. Still confused though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Went into Verizon and talked to the lady working there. She said it'd be no problem to get my unlimited back on my Breakout.

Called customer care talked to Tanesha and she said within 10 days she will get back to me with my unlimited back on :D

But yeah never going into a situation like that ever again without knowing what the hell can, could, and will happen.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

MeinGott posted:

Went into Verizon and talked to the lady working there. She said it'd be no problem to get my unlimited back on my Breakout.

Called customer care talked to Tanesha and she said within 10 days she will get back to me with my unlimited back on :D

But yeah never going into a situation like that ever again without knowing what the hell can, could, and will happen.

I sure hope you have a call ID for that conversation. 10 days seems like an arbitrary number when a computer program switches your data to unlimited. If your account has to wait until a new billing cycle, I can accept that. If not, then that poo poo sounds really shady.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah, especially since you only have 14 days from the date it was originally dropped to get it back. You need to be calling them back ASAP and getting them to do it while you're on the phone. Sounds like they're just trying to run out the clock.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Yeah, especially since you only have 14 days from the date it was originally dropped to get it back. You need to be calling them back ASAP and getting them to do it while you're on the phone. Sounds like they're just trying to run out the clock.
It's going to take about 24-48 hours to get it back as it has to be submitted to an offline team for review. The codes to re-add the feature used to be live in the system to be used at discretion but are now currently the domain of of a group that does not take phone calls directly. Also it's not 14 days to get it back AND THATS FINAL THE CLOCK IS TICKING, it's 14 days to submit the request to get it back.

I really doubt anyone is doing anything as asinine as "running out the clock." Customer service doesn't get anything positive out of anyone losing a feature they are legitimately supposed to have.

The biggest thing by far that is looked at for rating customer service interactions is customer feedback surveys. Your typical customer service rep will do everything possible to get your poo poo straightened out because you might get a survey. Also that's their loving job.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

You seem to know what you're talking about and I have no real response other than to say that, for the sake of this guy, I hope you're right.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

The biggest thing by far that is looked at for rating customer service interactions is customer feedback surveys. Your typical customer service rep will do everything possible to get your poo poo straightened out because you might get a survey. Also that's their loving job.

Do you work CS? Because being in the indirect channel, I can assure you this is not how everyone operates. I'd love to think everyone felt this way, and there are many that do, but I do EVERYTHING in my power to not have to deal with CS.

And then there are outsourced call centers...Jesus, don't let me get started about them. I heard heard rumors they were dumping them, but nothing to back it up.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

It's going to take about 24-48 hours to get it back as it has to be submitted to an offline team for review. The codes to re-add the feature used to be live in the system to be used at discretion but are now currently the domain of of a group that does not take phone calls directly. Also it's not 14 days to get it back AND THATS FINAL THE CLOCK IS TICKING, it's 14 days to submit the request to get it back.

I really doubt anyone is doing anything as asinine as "running out the clock." Customer service doesn't get anything positive out of anyone losing a feature they are legitimately supposed to have.

I will second this. I've submitted many IPRs (Inactive Pricing Requests, a form we fill out to re-add grandfathered pricing/features, such as unlimited data) and they generally take 5-7 business days to complete. The department is very proactive about the changes, and will automatically communicate back with the submitter any approvals, denials, or if they have questions. I had one incident where I accidentally put the wrong code in the form, and the person processing it emailed me to verify the correct code before applying it. They may be slow, but they do their jobs well.

Tl;dr: It's not in Verizon's interest to gently caress over good customers, and sometimes multi-billion dollar corporations can do things right.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Are these legit? I remember hearing of the upgrade, but it was more expensive, and that sold out in a nano second.

Because I really want to get this

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

SpacedOut posted:

Tl;dr: It's not in Verizon's interest to gently caress over good customers, and sometimes multi-billion dollar corporations can do things right.

I WILL second this a billion times over. I've seen countless times where people come in an claim all sorts of ridiculous stuff was told to them by someone, and it makes no sense whatsoever that the rep would do that. Even if they were having a bad day they wouldn't claim your $79.99 would be half off, or you could cancel a contract if you couldn't afford it any longer without penalty.

1) Sometimes people make mistakes. They weren't trying to "Screw" you. It doesn't entitle you to free service for the rest of your life because they quoted you $.40 cents instead of the $.50 it really was.

2) Most often, you misheard what was told you. There is a lot of info being exchanged and its easy to mix things together when you are trying to remember them 6 months later. All off it is on the paperwork you received.

3) Being an rear end in a top hat makes us all want to help you even less. So if you are a complete jerk, and the policy is XXX but you know SOMETIMES, you can get an exception made for something, why put your neck out for the guy who is screaming and insulting you? 99% percent of the time you are yelling at a person who had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction that you are upset about, so getting pissed off at them accomplishes nothing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Are these legit? I remember hearing of the upgrade, but it was more expensive, and that sold out in a nano second.

Because I really want to get this
I grabbed those links from a thread in XDA (ugh) which I found by googling "turn RAZR into RAZR MAXX." It seemed to work pretty much like an extended battery would on any other phone where you replace the battery with a bigger one and the backplate with one that sticks out a little more, but not intended to be user-serviceable.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I grabbed those links from a thread in XDA (ugh) which I found by googling "turn RAZR into RAZR MAXX." It seemed to work pretty much like an extended battery would on any other phone where you replace the battery with a bigger one and the backplate with one that sticks out a little more, but not intended to be user-serviceable.

Cool, I'll grab it then. I seem to remember it was still coming out, and there was some sort of group buy as well.

EDIT: I actually wont. They offer a total kit (the one i originally saw) but that is no longer accepting backorders. They sell the battery seperate (forcing you to get the 'optional' adhesive) and the back cover (forcing you to get the 'optional' installation', AND also has the adhesive) but its not a complete package.

They are the only game in town it seems, and they are holding all the cards. i can wait it out :/

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 25, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Cool, I'll grab it then. I seem to remember it was still coming out, and there was some sort of group buy as well.
You should probably try to find the details about the procedure before you drop $100 based on what some internet guy says. I don't have either of the RAZRs.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

3) Being an rear end in a top hat makes us all want to help you even less. So if you are a complete jerk, and the policy is XXX but you know SOMETIMES, you can get an exception made for something, why put your neck out for the guy who is screaming and insulting you? 99% percent of the time you are yelling at a person who had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction that you are upset about, so getting pissed off at them accomplishes nothing.

This. Not to get all work ranty, and I hate to admit it, but I'm much much more willing to go "above and beyond" for a customer who is genuinely nice/understanding about a problem than for a customer who is an rear end in a top hat straight out of the gate.

Case in point: Yesterday I helped a very nice older lady who's home charger for her phone broke, and she was out of warranty. Since it was an older phone, we didn't have the charger in stock. Rather than make her pay for one & wait several days for it to ship to her, I just gave her one of our old tester chargers for free. If she had come in throwing a fit, instead of being nice, I probably would have never done that for her.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was very polite so maybe I will get unlimited data AND a bag of stickers :3:

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

MeinGott posted:

I was very polite so maybe I will get unlimited data AND a bag of stickers :3:

I can give you a complimentary Verizon Earth Day reusable grocery bag.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpacedOut posted:

I can give you a complimentary Verizon Earth Day reusable grocery bag.

gently caress yes that'd be totally kick rear end.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
LTE testing began today in my market. Can't wait for the influx of people complaining that their internets are broken. Had a screamer today, somehow used ~1GB since the 11th, claimed that the iPhone version of backup assistant (market app, because she had an old rear end pantech we didn't have the cable for) "broke my poo poo and used all my loving data"

Couldn't have been the itunes sync that was set to cellular, and downloaded eleventy-thousand songs over the cell radio. Nope. She knew she had a defective iPhone and/or I hosed everything up. Depended on the minute.

She was also super mad that neither Verizon nor I could tell her exactly (for 100% certainty) what was using the data. Only how much had been used.

:fuckoff:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick question for anyone in an LTE market, specifically Oakland/SF/Bay Area. I'm going to be relocating in a few months to SF and the apartment we have found has pretty crappy internet 6mbps ATT DSL. I'm going to most likely be working from home so I need decent internet. The 6mbps should suffice but in event it doesn't I was looking into a LTE MiFi or a 4G iPhone when they come out. My question is, how is the coverage area in SF and Oakland and what are the download caps? If it ends up being my primary internet will crack the caps using VOIP/Teleconferencing plus downloading steam games and using Xbox live?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Mobile Broadband is $50 5Gb, $80 for 10GB.

The new Home broadband fusion system is coming out in may. This is a stationary system that gets installed with an external antenna, and comes with a router with ethernet and wifi.

Caps are $60 for 10GB, $90 for 20GB $120 for 30GB and $10/GB overage on all 3.

In other words, get cable internet if you can.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Next Tuesday is the 14 days mark :ohdear:

Please Verizon, lend me your unlimited data again :pray:

Or I will cry and cry and :cry: :negative: :smithicide:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

SpacedOut posted:

This. Not to get all work ranty, and I hate to admit it, but I'm much much more willing to go "above and beyond" for a customer who is genuinely nice/understanding about a problem than for a customer who is an rear end in a top hat straight out of the gate.

Case in point: Yesterday I helped a very nice older lady who's home charger for her phone broke, and she was out of warranty. Since it was an older phone, we didn't have the charger in stock. Rather than make her pay for one & wait several days for it to ship to her, I just gave her one of our old tester chargers for free. If she had come in throwing a fit, instead of being nice, I probably would have never done that for her.

You know how some countries do 2 years of mandatory military service? The USA needs 2 years of mandatory retail/restaurant service.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Rent posted:

You know how some countries do 2 years of mandatory military service? The USA needs 2 years of mandatory retail/restaurant service.

Amen. Working food service or retail is a great way to make you appreciate a career where you are treated as a professional. It also boosted my empathy for servers and customer service people in a major way compared to many of my friends.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
RIP Unlimited Data.
I took you for granted and now you're gone.
:911:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MeinGott posted:

RIP Unlimited Data.

Were you not able to get it back?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

MeinGott posted:

RIP Unlimited Data.

If you'd like to PM me your mobile telephone number, I'll see what I can do for you when I'm in my store tomorrow.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpacedOut posted:

If you'd like to PM me your mobile telephone number, I'll see what I can do for you when I'm in my store tomorrow.

I'd totally pm you if I had PMs.

Maybe emails?
joshuawalrath@gmail.com

Cojawfee posted:

Were you not able to get it back?

Yeah with the whole getting a new number with the phone I think it got it all hosed up.

E: thanks SpacedOut for looking into it for me. Greatly appreciated!

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 29, 2012

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I have a droid incredible 2 and the volume rocker is hosed up. I can turn the volume down but not up. I know I can make an insure claim on it and a VZW employee on another forum told me I would probably get traded up to a Rezound since the INC2 is EOL.

Really want to since I don't think I can get bumped to a galaxy s3 when they come out and Verizon isn't getting the one x. Can anyone confirm that I can do this and is it a good idea?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

metachronos posted:

I have a droid incredible 2 and the volume rocker is hosed up. I can turn the volume down but not up. I know I can make an insure claim on it and a VZW employee on another forum told me I would probably get traded up to a Rezound since the INC2 is EOL.

Really want to since I don't think I can get bumped to a galaxy s3 when they come out and Verizon isn't getting the one x. Can anyone confirm that I can do this and is it a good idea?

Strongly doubt the validity of this. I tried to place an insurance claim (through Asurion) on a OG Droid a few years back when the Droid 2 was released as a bunch of people were getting Droid 2's as replacements. This was long after OG Droid had reached EOL. They sent me an OG Droid as a replacement.

As always, YMMV.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

metachronos posted:

Do the process at phoneclaim.com and see what they offer. You have a chance to back out before accepting.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
Curently I have a t-mobile android phone, but the screen broke, and I want an iphone, so I'm thinking of switching to verizon. If I get teh 4S right now, and I "trade it in" (or whatever the proper term for this is), for the 5 when it comes out? Also, could I have my old t-mobile number switched over to work with my verizon iphone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

how!! posted:

Curently I have a t-mobile android phone, but the screen broke, and I want an iphone, so I'm thinking of switching to verizon. If I get teh 4S right now, and I "trade it in" (or whatever the proper term for this is), for the 5 when it comes out? Also, could I have my old t-mobile number switched over to work with my verizon iphone?

Yes, you can port your number from T-Mobile to Verizon... and your best bet is to buy a used iPhone 4 on eBay or craigslist , and use the subsidized upgrade on the iPhone 5 if you feel like waiting for the 5 to come out. 99‰ of the time, if you use the subsidized upgrade you're stuck with that phone for 20 months of a 2 year contract.

• Locked thread