Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arbite posted:

Bryan: "Antonio Cesaro... his gimmick now is that he's a former rugby player who wants to be a wrestler"

Dave: "What! They can't... oh Jesus Christ, whatever."

I think they broke Dave.

That's like saying a guy from South Texas is a hockey player who wanted to be a wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

That's like saying a guy from South Texas is a hockey player who wanted to be a wrestler.
Stranger things have happened. Jason Statham was a member of the British National Diving team.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Perigryn posted:

Stranger things have happened. Jason Statham was a member of the British National Diving team.

Oh. Well I found it funny because the Swiss don't play Rugby, they play football. Hence the Texas -> Hockey joke.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

Oh. Well I found it funny because the Swiss don't play Rugby, they play football. Hence the Texas -> Hockey joke.
Oh, it is funny. A friend of mine who lived in Switzerland for a while will probably mention it tomorrow lol

Then again, Aksana said it. She had no idea what a Llama is...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love the running joke that Teddy is the worst GM of all time

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

How did Dave not loving know that was a freezer? My god

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If there was a freezer scene in Meatballs or Grease, he'd be all over it

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I love the running joke that Teddy is the worst GM of all time

Teddy being appalled "You'e going to strip him of his title because he's been drinking!?" If he's showing up on tv drunk yeah! Teddy doesn't get this because he's the worst GM of all time.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dshban posted:

We just put up a new feature on Smart Wrestling Fan Extra that'll be up on the normal feed in the coming days - a Fantasy Federation Draft, where all of the hosts pick their own dream 30-person roster (20 men, 6 women, 2 announcers, 2 wildcards) and eventually make their own WrestleMania card from these rosters. I'd love to get people's thoughts on it if they get a chance to listen to it.

A five hour fantasy booking podcast sounds rough to be honest.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Lance Storm is going to lose his poo poo when he hears about how that Overeem hearing went.

Either that, or he is past the point of caring.

For those who weren't following it, apparently it wrapped up with the officials basically offering Overeem a reduced punishment, one guy even suggesting that they only make him stay out 4 months. They also all talked about how they admire Overeem.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Lance Storm is going to lose his poo poo when he hears about how that Overeem hearing went.

For those who weren't following it, apparently it wrapped up with the officials basically offering Overeem a reduced punishment, one guy even suggesting that they only make him stay out 4 months. They also all talked about how they admire Overeem.

Given that Lance had already made up his mind that he was going to lose his poo poo about it, who cares?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

Well, he suspected something like this would happen and probably did get it all out of his system that day.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lance storm is pretty annoying about steroids

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Does Lance Storm still do that super endearing thing where he blames the person and never the system? Or does he only do that when talking about the WWE?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

Well, he suspected something like this would happen and probably did get it all out of his system that day.

He thought they were going to let Overeem get a TRT exemption and fight JDS next month. In fact, they didn't. It's lovely that he's getting 3 months off his suspension, but in the end Lance was pretty loving wrong.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Does Lance Storm still do that super endearing thing where he blames the person and never the system? Or does he only do that when talking about the WWE?

I think he blames the system for not being stricter on this stuff when it comes to UFC.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
On a lighter note, I read the Overeem story on F4W and couldn't stop laughing when I read that his doctor's name is "Hector Molina":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEgPlxjDok

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I would love to hear Dave's lecture for that Stanford class.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I would love to hear Dave's lecture for that Stanford class.

Wasn't Alvarez's book on a Harvard reading list at one point? For a bullshit marketing elective or something, but still?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The draft is two hours, the fantasy booking of the card is a separate thing. But OK.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"... on the one show of the week where we're guaranteed not to talk about Alistair Overeem."

*spends five minutes talking about Overeem*

Oh Bryan.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Especially from people who aren't professionals. I could barely sit through Cornette rebooking the invasion and that was like 2-3 hours.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

PaybackJack posted:

Especially from people who aren't professionals. I could barely sit through Cornette rebooking the invasion and that was like 2-3 hours.

Well, again, it's not so much fantasy booking as who we think are the most valuable properties in wrestling. I've heard only super positive things so far from people who listened to it. But fair enough! :)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

as someone who listened to it, it was genuinely a lot of fun. Not fantasy booking so much as evaluating the current state of play of professional wrestling and seeing what could be built from it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

He thought they were going to let Overeem get a TRT exemption and fight JDS next month. In fact, they didn't. It's lovely that he's getting 3 months off his suspension, but in the end Lance was pretty loving wrong.

Eh honestly he probably got a pretty fair punishment. He lost a massive heavyweight title fight pay day and in the end he can't fight for a year of the date of his failed test. Not only that, but there's always a shot Dana White just fires him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dshban posted:

We just put up a new feature on Smart Wrestling Fan Extra that'll be up on the normal feed in the coming days - a Fantasy Federation Draft, where all of the hosts pick their own dream 30-person roster (20 men, 6 women, 2 announcers, 2 wildcards) and eventually make their own WrestleMania card from these rosters. I'd love to get people's thoughts on it if they get a chance to listen to it.

no Wiggly, no coconono.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Holy poo poo. Bryan just mentioned a TNA Live event on Friday in Kent. Does anybody know if he does meet-ups for them or anything, because I'm totally going. The last one was friggin' awesome.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Holy poo poo. Bryan just mentioned a TNA Live event on Friday in Kent. Does anybody know if he does meet-ups for them or anything, because I'm totally going. The last one was friggin' awesome.

Just tweet at him, he's v personable.

I am really looking forward to hear Storm's rant about the Overeem situation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BAN DICKEYE posted:

Whelp. Time to learn the tweetie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

BAN DICKEYE posted:

I am really looking forward to hear Storm's rant about the Overeem situation.
His rants would be better if Bryan were willing or able to explain the circumstances of testing, commissions, etc. so Lance would have all his facts straight.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

If you are going to buy tickets let me know and I will go with you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

His rants would be better if Bryan were willing or able to explain the circumstances of testing, commissions, etc. so Lance would have all his facts straight.

thats why im lookin forward to it, hearin pro wrestlers sperg bout issues they dont know the full details of is immensely entertaining to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nason complaining that King Mo got a full year when he was honest (he made up a bullshit supplement excuse) but Overeem was a huge liar (also made up excuses) and got a slap on the wrist (9 months) is hilarious. He sounds just like the commission, one liar sounded more sincere to him, so how dare they be lenient on the guy that sounded sincere to them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Nason complaining that King Mo got a full year when he was honest (he made up a bullshit supplement excuse) but Overeem was a huge liar (also made up excuses) and got a slap on the wrist (9 months) is hilarious. He sounds just like the commission, one liar sounded more sincere to him, so how dare they be lenient on the guy that sounded sincere to them.

At the very least, Mo actually had the supplement and it contained the very thing he tested positive for, even if that almost certainly wasn't the reason for the failed test.

Overeem went from TRT and dick pills to ultimately settling on a defense of an anti-inflammatory shot that 99% of the time has no testosterone in it. Not to mention dipping out on a previous drug test, getting away with that by agreeing to random testing, then literally running out of the building and fleeing in a car to avoid the random test that he was explicitly told he would have to take following the press conference minutes before it started.

I'd say Mo, without question, deserved less of a suspension than Overeem.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

At the very least, Mo actually had the supplement and it contained the very thing he tested positive for, even if that almost certainly wasn't the reason for the failed test.

Overeem went from TRT and dick pills to ultimately settling on a defense of an anti-inflammatory shot that 99% of the time has no testosterone in it. Not to mention dipping out on a previous drug test, getting away with that by agreeing to random testing, then literally running out of the building and fleeing in a car to avoid the random test that he was explicitly told he would have to take following the press conference minutes before it started.

I'd say Mo, without question, deserved less of a suspension than Overeem.

Mo was actually in the cage and fought a dude while doped up. Overeem on the other hand due to it being out of competition did not, even if he had every intention of doing so. King Mo was just as bad as Overeem, you don't get points for your lie just because you stuck to one story.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Mo was actually in the cage and fought a dude while doped up. Overeem on the other hand due to it being out of competition did not, even if he had every intention of doing so. King Mo was just as bad as Overeem, you don't get points for your lie just because you stuck to one story.

Overeem got off light because he's Overeem. Mo got the full deal because nobody gives a poo poo about King Mo.

That's what happened. Everyone knows it. It is what it is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Overeem got off light because he's Overeem. Mo got the full deal because nobody gives a poo poo about King Mo.

That's what happened. Everyone knows it. It is what it is.

Then why do lots of fighters get reduced suspensions, fighters about as popular as King Mo?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Then why do lots of fighters get reduced suspensions, fighters about as popular as King Mo?

Those fighters probably don't have a history of dickish bullshit with commissions.

Acting like Overeem didn't get off lighter because he's Overeem is naive as hell. They opened the hearing talking about how he literally fled the test as soon as the press conference was over and then openly gushed over how wonderful his explanation was at the end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Those fighters probably don't have a history of dickish bullshit with commissions.

Acting like Overeem didn't get off lighter because he's Overeem is naive as hell. They opened the hearing talking about how he literally fled the test as soon as the press conference was over and then openly gushed over how wonderful his explanation was at the end.

Overeem isn't exactly a mega star. He has one UFC main event. Before that he's appeared on a few not so well rated Strikeforce events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Overeem isn't exactly a mega star. He has one UFC main event. Before that he's appeared on a few not so well rated Strikeforce events.

Being a potential golden boy for Lorenzo probably doesn't hurt much.

I guess I can't blame Overeem much. It's just a lovely situation.

• Locked thread