Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Holy poo poo, this show.

I'm midway through Season 5. It's good I'm only getting these one disc at a time from netflix because otherwise I'd never sleep until it was over.

Jesus, Forest Whitaker.

EDIT: Just wrapped S5. It's like nobody told Shawn Ryan that TV shows couldn't be like this. I mean ...

SnowDog fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
I know I was the last to post here, but goddamn. I just finished the series.

And now I'm sitting there staring at my netflix queue saying, "Well, now what?" because goddamn.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

SnowDog posted:

I know I was the last to post here, but goddamn. I just finished the series.

And now I'm sitting there staring at my netflix queue saying, "Well, now what?" because goddamn.

You're in luck! The Chicago Code, a pretty solid one-season Shawn Ryan show about cops in Chicago, is on Netflix!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Chicago Code is annoying because you can see glimpses of Shield-esque quality, but the whole thing's been gimped due to it being on network TV. I thought it was worth watching though.

Terriers and Justified should be the Shield followups really. Sons of Anarchy as well I guess, although it's really hard to recommend that nowadays.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Junkenstein posted:

Terriers and Justified should be the Shield followups really.

loving right.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Can't recommend Justified enough, watch that.

Go ahead and watch SoA as well, just stop at the end of season two (even if you really enjoy it...*especially* if you like it, actually).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Karmalaa70 posted:

Can't recommend Justified enough, watch that.

Go ahead and watch SoA as well, just stop at the end of season two (even if you really enjoy it...*especially* if you like it, actually).

Yeah, really. Anyone who's watching it and want to know what happens after the end of S2, they get the kid back after killing a bunch of guys.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Junkenstein posted:

Terriers and Justified should be the Shield followups really. Sons of Anarchy as well I guess, although it's really hard to recommend that nowadays.
Terriers and Justified are are perfect in their own ways but nothing really captures the "Holy poo poo!"-ness of The Shield. That being said I can't suggest anything better. The first two seasons of Spartacus are probably the closest I can think of (is anybody watching the third)?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You remember when you were a kid, and you had done something wrong and you kept trying out ways how to avoid getting in trouble with it, whether it was intercepting phone calls from teachers before they could get to your mom, hiding something that had been destroyed, or just plain practicing lying until you could stare your parents in the eyes without blinking? And even if you got out of it, you had to live with the fear that it would be revealed some ways towards the end?

Every episode of Shield is like that in the feelings that it elicits, even if you aren't in the harms way yourself. And it only gets worse towards the end.

No other show has done this to me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh, and Southland as well, if you want LA police stuff that isn't a typical procedural. I've only seen the first season so far, and it's very good, but I've heard it gets pretty amazing later on. Someone in my Facebook feed earlier this year said something along the lines of 'Southland: The Shield shaped hole well and truly filled'.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I hope this isn't thread encromancy, but i didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

I just got into this show a few weeks ago, and just finished season 5. It just gets better and better.

Forrest Whittaker's performance is probably one of the best I have seen in any medium. The first time he lost control, after the Russian sting, it was viscerally terrifying. When he went to visit Corinne at the end of Ep10, I seriously thought he was going to rage-rape her in retaliation. Also, despite what people have been saying...I think Vic legitimately loved Lem and thought he was doing what was best for him. When he lost it and charged Cavanaugh, that was pure rage...nothing faked. I cried when I realized what Shane was going to do, and the follow up with him begging Lem's corpse for forgiveness. Basically the entire last 15 minutes of the episode, I was like a baby. drat...this show. Off to start season 6!

I had to get that out...

EDIT: In a lot of ways Kavanaugh reminds me of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. They both want to follow the rules, and they try to do right...but they are both so close to raging out and destroying whatever is nearby at a moments notice. In both of them you can feel a palpable anger just below the surface, and you just know that they are about to lose it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 3, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Devorum posted:

I hope this isn't thread encromancy, but i didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

I just got into this show a few weeks ago, and just finished season 5. It just gets better and better.

Forrest Whittaker's performance is probably one of the best I have seen in any medium. The first time he lost control, after the Russian sting, it was viscerally terrifying. When he went to visit Corinne at the end of Ep10, I seriously thought he was going to rage-rape her in retaliation. Also, despite what people have been saying...I think Vic legitimately loved Lem and thought he was doing what was best for him. When he lost it and charged Cavanaugh, that was pure rage...nothing faked. I cried when I realized what Shane was going to do, and the follow up with him begging Lem's corpse for forgiveness. Basically the entire last 15 minutes of the episode, I was like a baby. drat...this show. Off to start season 6!

I had to get that out...

EDIT: In a lot of ways Kavanaugh reminds me of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. They both want to follow the rules, and they try to do right...but they are both so close to raging out and destroying whatever is nearby at a moments notice. In both of them you can feel a palpable anger just below the surface, and you just know that they are about to lose it.

Thread necromancy on this is fine. It allows us who have already been through the series to vicariously enjoy it again.

Please post your thoughts on the final season! (Think of season 6 and season 7 as one season together)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Remulak posted:

Terriers and Justified are are perfect in their own ways but nothing really captures the "Holy poo poo!"-ness of The Shield. That being said I can't suggest anything better. The first two seasons of Spartacus are probably the closest I can think of (is anybody watching the third)?

The third season of Spartacus is really good. It takes a while to get used to the new actors but when you do they are good in their roles. It also has two of the most insane episodes of tv this year.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DarkCrawler posted:

You remember when you were a kid, and you had done something wrong and you kept trying out ways how to avoid getting in trouble with it, whether it was intercepting phone calls from teachers before they could get to your mom, hiding something that had been destroyed, or just plain practicing lying until you could stare your parents in the eyes without blinking? And even if you got out of it, you had to live with the fear that it would be revealed some ways towards the end?

Every episode of Shield is like that in the feelings that it elicits, even if you aren't in the harms way yourself. And it only gets worse towards the end.

No other show has done this to me.

I think dvd's of The Shield should come with a bottle of Xanax. That show was so was intense it was bad for your health. My balls were in throat the entire time Antoine Mitchell was in interrogation.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was watching it on my commute and the Vic's, er, speech to the agents at the end made me miss my subway stop. I was physically shaking.

I think there's something to be said about the way interrogations are used on the show, and how different characters use them in their own unique ways to get what they want.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished the series, and that had to have been the most satisfying series finale I have ever seen.

I liked how Ronnie went from being the goofy member of the team, to the logical, stone cold guy he was in the end...that was great. It made me sick watching Vic hang him out while ensuring he had immunity for himself. Shane's exit was heart-wrenching. I knew what he was planning, but seeing it happen and everyone's reactions really hammered it home. I also liked that Vic didn't win. He thought he had, with typical Vic arrogance, but he ended up in his own personal hell. The look on Olivia's face when he started his admissions was perfect, right along with "how much memory does that thing have." And Claudette's reaction to finding out he had gotten immunity was spectacularly acted. I'm not sure if CCH Pounder won anything for this show, but she drat well should have.

Throughout the series, to me at least, it was just as much about Claudette and Dutch as Vic and the strike team. They were my two favorite characters all the way through, and their dynamic together was wonderful. I got a little misty eyed when she told him to keep being a friend at the end. All in all, I wish there was more...but i couldn't have asked for it to be wrapped up any better than it was. gently caress, what a show.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 10, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Devorum posted:

Just finished the series, and that had to have been the most satisfying series finale I have ever seen.

I liked how Ronnie went from being the goofy member of the team, to the logical, stone cold guy he was in the end...that was great. It made me sick watching Vic hang him out while ensuring he had immunity for himself. Shane's exit was heart-wrenching. I knew what he was planning, but seeing it happen and everyone's reactions really hammered it home. I also liked that Vic didn't win. He thought he had, with typical Vic arrogance, but he ended up in his own personal hell. The look on Olivia's face when he started his admissions was perfect, right along with "how much memory does that thing have." And Claudette's reaction to finding out he had gotten immunity was spectacularly acted. I'm not sure if CCH Pounder won anything for this show, but she drat well should have.

Throughout the series, to me at least, it was just as much about Claudette and Dutch as Vic and the strike team. They were my two favorite characters all the way through, and their dynamic together was wonderful. I got a little misty eyed when she told him to keep being a friend at the end. All in all, I wish there was more...but i couldn't have asked for it to be wrapped up any better than it was. gently caress, what a show.

Agreed on all counts. The show was primarily about the Strike Team, but would not have worked (as well, at least) without all the other great characters, specifically Dutch and Claudette. They served as a nice juxtaposition to the Strike Team, "real po-lice", as the Wire might put it.

And yeah, there's never been a scene that I can think of as tense as Olivia interrogating Vic... You wonder if he's going to do it. They drag it out so long and maximize the suspense. And then when he does do it, your reactions mirror Olivia's: jaw hitting the floor, can't believe what you've just heard, even though we all knew what he did from the opening episode.

It also sucked to see him hang Ronnie out to dry. The actor who played Ronnie wasn't even really an actor, but he definitely developed some chops over those 7 years. His "WE WERE GONNA RUN, TOGETHER!" at the end was so well-acted. I actually didn't see Shane's suicide coming until he literally pulled the trigger, although in retrospect, it was because I was a bit distracted, so it floored me. And then when you find out he brings his wife and kid "with him"... Ugh.

The Wire, the Sopranos, may be better shows than the Shield, but neither one had such poignant punctuations at the end of their series-- they didn't even come close. drat, I feel like it's time for a Shield re-watch on my end, once I get through the West Wing for the first time.

Glad you enjoyed it! :) The show is severely underrated. My dad, for example, won't watch it because of the "shaky" cinematography. But I feel that it lends more to its realism, and of course, underscores the tension that is ever-present on screen. Besides, if it weren't for the way it was shot, we wouldn't have such great shots like the super quick close-ups to character reactions, which I always appreciated.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 10, 2012

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

escape artist posted:

Agreed on all counts. The show was primarily about the Strike Team, but would not have worked (as well, at least) without all the other great characters, specifically Dutch and Claudette. They served as a nice juxtaposition to the Strike Team, "real po-lice", as the Wire might put it.

And yeah, there's never been a scene that I can think of as tense as Olivia interrogating Vic... You wonder if he's going to do it. They drag it out so long and maximize the suspense. And then when he does do it, your reactions mirror Olivia's: jaw hitting the floor, can't believe what you've just heard, even though we all knew what he did from the opening episode.

It also sucked to see him hang Ronnie out to dry. The actor who played Ronnie wasn't even really an actor, but he definitely developed some chops over those 7 years. His "WE WERE GONNA RUN, TOGETHER!" at the end was so well-acted. I actually didn't see Shane's suicide coming until he literally pulled the trigger, although in retrospect, it was because I was a bit distracted, so it floored me. And then when you find out he brings his wife and kid "with him"... Ugh.

The Wire, the Sopranos, may be better shows than the Shield, but neither one had such poignant punctuations at the end of their series-- they didn't even come close. drat, I feel like it's time for a Shield re-watch on my end, once I get through the West Wing for the first time.

Glad you enjoyed it! :) The show is severely underrated. My dad, for example, won't watch it because of the "shaky" cinematography. But I feel that it lends more to its realism, and of course, underscores the tension that is ever-present on screen. Besides, if it weren't for the way it was shot, we wouldn't have such great shots like the super quick close-ups to character reactions, which I always appreciated.

I liked the way it was filmed for the most part. I don't know about Sopranos being better...it had some really shaky episodes and arcs toward the end, and didn't feel nearly as tightly put together in the final season. The only finale that has come close to this one for me was Six Feet Under, and I still get chills hearing the main theme to that show 6-7 years later.

As for Ronnie, I was unaware he was a last minute addition and all that until just now. I honestly thought his character arc was him getting "hardened" by the life, especially after his attack. It worked out well, because he came off as the one member of the team who kept his poo poo together, didn't blab about anything, kept his finances tightly controlled, and generally had a way out at any given time. That made it even harder seeing him be the one that ends up in prison. And yes, his reaction while being arrested was spot on, right down to being able to hear him yelling in the background afterwards.

Not sure how much of that needed to be spoilered. Well...off to start Sons of Anarchy and Justified.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Devorum posted:

I liked the way it was filmed for the most part. I don't know about Sopranos being better...it had some really shaky episodes and arcs toward the end, and didn't feel nearly as tightly put together in the final season. The only finale that has come close to this one for me was Six Feet Under, and I still get chills hearing the main theme to that show 6-7 years later.

As for Ronnie, I was unaware he was a last minute addition and all that until just now. I honestly thought his character arc was him getting "hardened" by the life, especially after his attack. It worked out well, because he came off as the one member of the team who kept his poo poo together, didn't blab about anything, kept his finances tightly controlled, and generally had a way out at any given time. That made it even harder seeing him be the one that ends up in prison. And yes, his reaction while being arrested was spot on, right down to being able to hear him yelling in the background afterwards.

Not sure how much of that needed to be spoilered. Well...off to start Sons of Anarchy and Justified.
I think overall Sopranos was better, but yeah, it became unhinged and declined in quality, and the ending was not satisfying-- whereas the opposite happened for the Shield-- it increased its quality for most of the seasons. Season 4, 5, and 7 are the best.

And I agree too about Six Feet Under, unfortunately that had a few off seasons as well. But the finale made the right worth it. I also agree-- that song, Sia - Breathe Me, is forever linked to it, and always stirs up emotions, even if it's in a lovely movie or video game trailer.

I agree about Ronnie. [I think he was a last minute add-on, a friend of Shawn Ryan] If you ever re-watch, you'll notice that he has very few speaking parts at the beginning, he's kind of the tech guy for a while. He ended up becoming a nuanced character and really added to the dynamic of the team. And yeah, none of the Strike Team were saints, but Ronnie deserved the least of it.

I really enjoyed when Ronnie committed his first murder, and was so un-emotional during it and the aftermath, to the point where it unnerved Vic a bit. But that's Ronnie-- he does what he has to do, and like his finances, keeps his emotions in check.

Also, not enough can be said about the stellar performances from the guest stars Forest Whitaker, Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson. At first, I was like "this is the guy from Kangaroo Jack playing the hardest gangster in LA" but after only a few episodes I was like :asoiaf:

escape artist fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 10, 2012

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My personal high point of the finale was definitely Dutch reading Vic his rights. After everything he'd put up with through the seasons, it was such a good gently caress you moment.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Handsome Dead posted:

My personal high point of the finale was definitely Dutch reading Vic his rights. After everything he'd put up with through the seasons, it was such a good gently caress you moment.

When does that happen? Do you mean Ronnie?

If that's the case, I love the lines "What are you arresting me for?" "...The last three years."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The moment I was really sold on Ronnie was after Vic finally admits to him that he and Shane killed Crowley and Ronnie's response is,"I wish you'd told me..... I would have helped you."

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

escape artist posted:

When does that happen? Do you mean Ronnie?

If that's the case, I love the lines "What are you arresting me for?" "...The last three years."

Yeah, that's it. It's been about a year and a half since I watched it so that must be where I got confused. Reading this thread, though, I really want to start all over again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish it was on Netflix.

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish it was on Netflix.
Shawn Ryan has posted on twitter a few times that it should be on netflix streaming sometime in 2012; the only thing holding them up is music licensing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

The moment I was really sold on Ronnie was after Vic finally admits to him that he and Shane killed Crowley and Ronnie's response is,"I wish you'd told me..... I would have helped you."

Yes! Great, unexpected moment. Totally the opposite of Lem's (expected?) response... Or, does Lem ever even find out?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

escape artist posted:

Yes! Great, unexpected moment. Totally the opposite of Lem's (expected?) response... Or, does Lem ever even find out?

No one explicitly tells him, but you get the impression he figured it out himself after he confronted Vic.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

spabz posted:

Shawn Ryan has posted on twitter a few times that it should be on netflix streaming sometime in 2012; the only thing holding them up is music licensing.

Great avatar, by the way. Just watched that movie last night. Tremendous!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No one explicitly tells him, but you get the impression he figured it out himself after he confronted Vic.

How does he react? Assuming we're not talking about the "breaking the car window with his fist" scene.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just started Sons of Anarchy, and I looked away from the screen for a second...and it happened to be the scene where Jay Karnes is introduced...I heard his voice and snapped back to the screen like "DUTCH!!".

Then I was sad, because it wasn't Dutch.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Devorum posted:

Just started Sons of Anarchy, and I looked away from the screen for a second...and it happened to be the scene where Jay Karnes is introduced...I heard his voice and snapped back to the screen like "DUTCH!!".

Then I was sad, because it wasn't Dutch.

There are a few Shield alumni in that show :)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

escape artist posted:

It's worth watching the fourth season just for.....actually, no, no it's not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^ Dammit, beaten, though he's right. I do like how they dealt with Kozik, though. I think his last line might be a throwback to his exit in The Shield.

escape artist posted:

Especially in S4. Really, if you've watched Deadwood and The Shield, it's like practically everyone came back in one form or another.

Also, yeah... I saw S1 of SoA before I watched any of the Shield. When I first saw Dutch, I was put-off due to his SoA role, but he's definitely my favourite character from The Shield.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm only two episodes in but, holy poo poo, Braquo is definitely living up to The Shield comparisons. If you're looking for something to fill that Shield-shaped hole, I'd defintiely recommend it. One of the main characters even looks like Vic and the police station bears a certain resemblance to the Barn.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've been watching Homicide: Life on the Streets recently, and Detective Bayliss bears a resemblance to Dutch, and is the butt of a lot of jokes in the squad, much like Dutch.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

escape artist posted:

I've been watching Homicide: Life on the Streets recently, and Detective Bayliss bears a resemblance to Dutch, and is the butt of a lot of jokes in the squad, much like Dutch.

You have no idea. Just wait until you get to the end of the show.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Just finished this last night, and the finale was as incredible as everyone says.

The scene where Ronnie is arrested was particularly well done. Throughout the entire series Ronnie stays collected, calm, and in control. Seeing him burst into a rage, screaming and thrashing around was like watching everything he kept in over the course of the show explode out of him all at once.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Bumping this up as everyone needs to watch this show

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

bobkatt013 posted:

Bumping this up as everyone needs to watch this show

I recently started watching this for the first time; I'm about halfway through the 2nd season. I thought the first couple episodes of the first season were a bit of a chore but I really like it now.

I haven't read any spoilers, but judging from the general reaction and the amount of spoiler text in this thread I'm in for one hell of a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rewatching this with my gf (her first time, my 2nd), and we're almost done Season 2. I really, really love this show, and while she wasn't that receptive to it at first, a couple times now she actually has suggested we watch it, without me saying anything.

To be fair, she's not a fan of cop shows. It's a hard sell at first for anyone feeling like that.

• Locked thread