Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if old gas has been left unstabilized in a bike before? I am going to look at a 9 year old bike with 5000km on it and I'm pretty worried this might be the case. And if it is, I'd like to knock him down on it.

In a test ride situation you can't take it apart but you can look for some signs. If the pilot jets are clogged, it will idle poorly. If it idles poorly, it can be compensated for by turning up the idle. So if it idles at a high rpm, or if the rpm climbs noticeably while warming up, chances are the idle is set high to compensate. It might also idle rougher as different cylinders might get different amount of charge, but that's hard to tell without knowing the model well. 9 years and 5000 km means garage queen, I suppose I'd ask a subtle question instead of listening to the idle. "So the mileage is great, barely been broken in! How have you stored it?" Someone who cares about bikes would mention the stabilizer quite early in their response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Varnishing the carbs isn't a concern?

It is but they should be able to be cleaned. I would definitely knock him down for having to drain the gas and clean the carbs, because it's gonna need it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Varnishing the carbs isn't a concern?

Consider that gasoline varnish is literally dried-out polymerized gasoline...so its primary solvent is also gasoline. If the engine runs, there was little enough varnish that fuel can run through the carb, and that flowing fuel will slowly dissolve any deposits. If the engine *doesn't* run, then you may be looking at something like this

Either way, though, you might have sediment or crumbling o-rings or whatever so you can't really lose by cleaning.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

RE: oil chat
Rotella T6, the end.

This. Two strokes or four, its all you need

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Olde Weird Tip posted:

This. Two strokes or four, its all you need

I just use regular rear end canola oil. Don't listen to them folks that tell you to use that extra virgin poo poo, it's just a ploy to get you to pay more money

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not sure what you got but if it's not JASO-MA labelled it's going to be bad for your clutch. Which basically limits you to 'motorcycle' oil. The energy-conserving stuff is a separate distinction.
Got a source on this? I'd heard differently, that friction-modifying additives was the only issue.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not sure what you got but if it's not JASO-MA labelled it's going to be bad for your clutch. Which basically limits you to 'motorcycle' oil. The energy-conserving stuff is a separate distinction.

Doesn't necessarily need to be JASO-MA, that's a newer standard. Best bet is to match what the manual asks for or better.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks guys! I will keep that all in mind, especially the advice to pay attention to the idle from cold start.

I'd rather not have to clean the carbs right away as this will be my first bike but I guess I should get used to the frequent maintenance ASAP anyways.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My coworker told me today my rear wheel is out of true, it's missing a spoke so I'm really not surprised. I suck at true-ing wheels, any idea how much it's going to run me to have a shop do it for me?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Snowdens Secret posted:

I got a different recommendation from ninja250.org. Not that I'm arguing. Ill be changing it at 2000 miles again then at 3 or 4 ill switch to rotella. If I gently caress up my clutch then I guess you were right and ill get to throw in another clutch.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if old gas has been left unstabilized in a bike before? I am going to look at a 9 year old bike with 5000km on it and I'm pretty worried this might be the case. And if it is, I'd like to knock him down on it.

A quick sniff and I can usually tell. Old gas has a varnish type smell to me. You can pull some out with a straw or syringe if you want and and put it in something clear to see. Depending on the bike, I think having to clean the fuel system from old gas is worth trying to knock someone down on price.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Got a source on this? I'd heard differently, that friction-modifying additives was the only issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#JASO

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html, specifically this bit:

quote:

The most current S standards are SL and SM. These standards differ from earlier standards like SH by lowering phosphorus to improve catalytic converter life, and increasing molybdenum to lower internal engine friction and improve gas mileage. Phosphorus was originally added to oils to help protect high pressure areas like cam lobes and crankshaft bearings, so lowering phosphorus levels is a compromise of lower pollution, perhaps at the expense of engine life. Molybdenum is added to improve fuel economy due to the federal CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards, thereby helping GM and Ford keep selling large V8s to the American public, but can perhaps cause problems in engines with wet clutches.

So the two hits are lowered phosphorus and added moly in car oil vs bike (and older car) oil.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

In 2004 (I think, it might have been back to 2001) the API changed the certs for auto oil so that -all- oil contains molybdenum additives. The 'energy-conserving- stuff includes more. It's this stuff that's bad for wet clutches. An older bike's owner's manual isn't going to tell you to stay away from auto oil because older auto oil didn't have moly added, and car oil might have been perfectly fine to use. It's the car oil formulations that changed, 'motorcycle oil' didn't change, and new standards like JASO-MA basically exist to say "Yes, this is the same old stuff as before." Old fudds who have been doing their own oil changes since the '60s putting the same oil in their cars and bikes probably have no idea about this, and anecdotes with older oil are irrelevant. This has nothing to do with viscosity, natural vs synthetic etc.

Basically, use modern motorcycle oil, or something specifically labelled "approved for wet clutches". The JASO-MA label seems to be a good indicator of this. It's not some oil baron conspiracy to make you overpay for bike oil. I know my (2012) bike manual states API SH (obsoleted in 2001) AND JASO-MA certification fo replacement oil. Will car oil blow up your clutch in the first 5 miles? I really doubt it. Will it lessen the life of your clutch? Probably. Will your bike last long enough for it to be noticeable? No clue. Is the 'energy conserving' stuff worse? Most likely. Commercial diesel oil? No clue.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Motorcyclists should just run Shell Rotella T 15w40 or 5w40 and call it a day. They're inexpensive oils marketed for diesel engines, meet JASO MA standards, and have a huge second market among motorcyclists.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I got a different recommendation from ninja250.org. Not that I'm arguing. Ill be changing it at 2000 miles again then at 3 or 4 ill switch to rotella. If I gently caress up my clutch then I guess you were right and ill get to throw in another clutch.

Nice bit about rotella is it's jaso-ma. You should have zero trouble with it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
This is really interesting thanks! I still won't lose any sleep since it's just a few thousand miles until Shell Rotella is going in it (after break-in period). I put 50 miles on it right after the oil change and felt nothing different.

EDIT: Wow, I assumed that all rotella products were full synthetic. If I had known that that was not the case, I would have gone for the Rotella T... My main reason was that I had heard conventional / non EC oil was fine and I didn't want to put synthetic in too early as to mess with break-in.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 21, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yeah, there's both synthetic and non-synthetic Rotella. Don't worry about using regular oil for a while, it's a non-issue.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

MotoMind posted:

Yeah, there's both synthetic and non-synthetic Rotella. Don't worry about using regular oil for a while, it's a non-issue.

Yeah, I just feel bad for making GBS threads up this thread with another oil debate. I was excited to turn a wrench on the new toy. :woop: I even meant to post this in the less questions, more chatting thread too. :saddowns:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MotoMind posted:

Motorcyclists should just run Shell Rotella T 15w40 or 5w40 and call it a day. They're inexpensive oils marketed for diesel engines, meet JASO MA standards, and have a huge second market among motorcyclists.
I know that Rotella is specifically prescribed for vintage/classic BMWs because of it's high levels of ZDDP which is supposed to be good for older engines with flat tappets.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm at my wits end here, so if someone can help me with my battery/charging system (?) related problem on my 2006 V-Strom DL1000, I'd be ever so grateful.

I recently revived my improperly-stored V-Strom after about 8 months of storage. The battery was, of course, dead. I charged it with my battery tender, gave it a go, and it turned over quickly. I decided to ride with it for a week or two until one day, just as I'm rolling to a stop in my driveway, the engine dies (may have stalled it, though I doubt it). I try to start it, and the bike makes a nasty clicking sound while the console flickers.

I figure the battery has gone bad from being discharged for so long, so I buy a new Big Crank AGM battery. I installed it two weekends ago and rode the bike around happily that weekend and the next. After a 3 hour ride yesterday, and three 30 minute rides today, with no cranking problems or electrical issues to note, the bike refuses to start after a ~30 minute stop. And it's D-E-D dead.

Luckily, a security guard was able to give me a jump which got me the ~10 miles home. Now I'm worried though - this is a brand new battery, so I doubt it's the problem. But why would the bike run for three weekends without being started on weekdays, and go for a hard 2-3 hour ride yesterday, only to die after a short jaunt today?

Lastly, is it important that the terminals seem to be accumulating corrosion at an accelerated rate?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 22, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Radbot posted:

Lastly, is it important that the terminals seem to be accumulating corrosion at an accelerated rate?

I don't know specifically about this, but it definitely sounds like something in your charging system is shot. A battery can only store so much energy, and it sounds like yours was storing enough energy for three weekends of riding before it stopped producing sufficient voltage to produce a spark for your spark plugs. That'll happen if it isn't getting charged.

I don't know enough about the V-Strom charging system to tell you the likely culprits, unfortunately.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Use this flowchart to diagnose the issue. I correctly diagnosed a failing stator with it.

Fault Finding Flowchart for Motorcycle Charging Systems

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

Use this flowchart to diagnose the issue. I correctly diagnosed a failing stator with it.

Fault Finding Flowchart for Motorcycle Charging Systems

This can't be posted or exposed enough.

It only fails for 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s Hondas -> Always the stator AND the voltage regulator/rectifier.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan posted:

When I press the starter button it does the clickclickclick sound, I'm not sure if it does any rattling. I'll have to look at it again.

HAven't tried bumping it yet, I had to get somewhere so I took off my gear and hopped on a bus, don't have access right now, so this is all the info I got. I guess I'll have to have a proper look.

Update: this is the sound it makes when I press the starter button...
I had remembered it wrong, it's not the regular clicking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtLKxAILuPU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

niethan posted:

Update: this is the sound it makes when I press the starter button...
I had remembered it wrong, it's not the regular clicking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtLKxAILuPU

Try pressing the white connector down a little bit, and tighten up your pos and neg terminals on the battery. Also, your battery may be dead.

More info: https://www.google.com/search?q=buzzing+starter+klr

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Rotella

I use it in my bikes and in my car with zero problems whatsoever. And it's cheap!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I wouldn't run rotella if it's not the proper weight for your bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've used Rotella T6 in several bikes. In the DRZ I change it pretty often ~1200-1500 miles somewhat out of paranoia but the shifting does get a little notchy after a while. It's so cheap I don't really feel bad about it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

JP Money posted:

I've used Rotella T6 in several bikes. In the DRZ I change it pretty often ~1200-1500 miles somewhat out of paranoia but the shifting does get a little notchy after a while. It's so cheap I don't really feel bad about it.

No need to feel bad. Changing the oil more often is only going to be better. I used to get on my gf's case about changing her oil too often (manufacturer recommended 4,500 miles between changes, but she does every 3,000), but there's literally no harm done except a slightly lighter bank account over the years.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am having a problem with my 1999 Honda Shadow 1100; it does not want to start. I went out yesterday morning and it was close to low 40s. It would turn over but not start. I have gas in there, choke was pulled in, kickstand up, in neutral, just wouldn't start. I got out of work yesterday evening and I'd guess high 50s low 60s, and tried again. It started right up. Thinking it was just some weird one off thing, I didn't do any more tinkering. This morning I went out to it (40s weather) and it did the same thing. Turned over plenty and in rhythm, but just wouldn't start. I did notice the neutral dummy light would slightly flicker. Right now, I am thinking battery is the right place to start troubleshooting. I know the battery in there is at least two years old so replacing it probably isn't a bad idea. I haven't had problems with it not starting up in the past. Even in the winter in 20 degree weather, it would fire right up. It was just fine last week when I last drove it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So I'm riding a 1981 Suzuki gs650e. I had a charging problem that I fixed with a new stator and regulator/rectifier and so far all is well. This is my first bike in a while and have been wondering about riding higher up in the rpms. Is it ok to ride up past where the bike builds power the most? It seems to stop pulling as hard around 6k. The tach redlined at 9500 and the specs for the bike say 73 horse @9k. Is it ok to ride for lengths of time at higher rpms like 7000 or 7500? Is there a certain rpm that's safe to spike to before shifting? Also when riding after about 65mph you're at under or around 6k and it vibrates like mad, it's a real buzzing on my hands and feet not so much like the tires are vibrating or anything. Is this something to worry about or just something that comes with an old bike?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I hate SUVs because their mirrors are at the perfect height to clip my mirrors.

What kind of mirrors are good replacements for this lane-splitting dude?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
pigspotters, obv.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kenny powerzzz posted:

So I'm riding a 1981 Suzuki gs650e. I had a charging problem that I fixed with a new stator and regulator/rectifier and so far all is well. This is my first bike in a while and have been wondering about riding higher up in the rpms. Is it ok to ride up past where the bike builds power the most? It seems to stop pulling as hard around 6k. The tach redlined at 9500 and the specs for the bike say 73 horse @9k. Is it ok to ride for lengths of time at higher rpms like 7000 or 7500? Is there a certain rpm that's safe to spike to before shifting? Also when riding after about 65mph you're at under or around 6k and it vibrates like mad, it's a real buzzing on my hands and feet not so much like the tires are vibrating or anything. Is this something to worry about or just something that comes with an old bike?

Keep it under redline and you should be a-ok.

Your carbs might need to be synced to make it pull harder and vibrate less.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Carb question.

Just rebuilt a set of carbs for a 1980 CB900 Custom. One problem. I've bench-synced the set, but where 3 of the 4 throttle plates cover 1/2 of the tiny jet holes they're supposed to (per manual spec), the 4th one doesn't cover it right.

It appears that the PO used pliers to yank the throttle plates, scraping the soft aluminum. I guess his genius fix was to file off the burrs from those scratches. Problem is that he rounded off the edge of one. It's not completely rounded off, but it's no longer a sharp edge.

It's about as close as I can get, but this one throttle plate doesn't have a sharp cutoff over the hole like it should.

The question is this: Will it ever run well enough with a very slightly damaged throttle plate? Is it worth even putting this on the bike and trying to sync, or should I suck it up and spend the $30 for the only throttle plates I can find on Ebay before even bothering?

Bike needs a lot more love before it's ready to crank, but I'm going piece by piece. Carbs and tank first, next is valves and rings before I even get to ignition.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

It's about as close as I can get, but this one throttle plate doesn't have a sharp cutoff over the hole like it should.

The question is this: Will it ever run well enough with a very slightly damaged throttle plate?

Well, it should probably work fine as soon as the plate is open, but at idle and just off I'd imagine that cylinder would have problems. No way to tell how bad without running it, though.

30 bucks really isn't that much, considering. I quit keeping track of how much I'm spending on my project and it's a lot more fun that way!

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Sagebrush posted:

30 bucks really isn't that much, considering. I quit keeping track of how much I'm spending on my project and it's a lot more fun that way!

Yeah, this particular one has been just nickel & diming me to the point that the wife has started to notice the stream of ebay deliveries.

I kinda find it more fun to work with what I have rather than buy replacement parts, but I don't think this will be one of those times if it doesn't want to play nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I kinda find it more fun to work with what I have rather than buy replacement parts

Well, I agree with that, which is why I spent like 6 hours electrolyzing and sanding and polishing and clear-coating 72 old spokes instead of just buying a new set off eBay. And why I spent a week dissolving a sheared-off jammed-in bolt out of the side cover with acid instead of hitting up the junkyard. But carburetor parts are usually so precisely machined, and it's such a critical piece of the bike, that you'd be better off just replacing the broken part.

Now, if you had a benchtop mill and lathe and you just made a new throttle plate from a chunk of aluminum, then you'd be operating on a whole other level.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is a newbie question but, out of pure curiosity...what do you guys do about potholes? My town is full of them yet a sizable amount of people have motorbikes. Is avoiding them the only protection against them?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd gas it over them at the very least if you didn't see it coming at all. Don't let your front fall into it if you can help it. If you have to hit a gigantic hole there's really nothing much you can do if you're at speed. Try to swerve if you can - if not gas it hard to at least get the weight off the front wheel and onto the back wheel that is (hopefully) wider and can distribute the shock a bit more.

No guarantee that you won't bend a rim or something but I'd just avoid as best you can. I live in TX now though so potholes are nonexistent :chord:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Not owning bikes with clip-ons helps, too... drat you, New York.