Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Some black and white work by Devin Yalkin
http://devinyalkinphotography.com/acoustic-movements/acoustic-movements/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Browsing one of them image hosting sites, I stumbled on these by Elizaveta Porodina. Website also in image.

I HAVE AN INTENSE DESIRE TO GET PROBATED FOR INLINE UNTAGGED NUDITY

there's a few people i see on DA that are pretty close to this and drat i love the style

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MotoGP is about to start up again for the year, so I started wandering through some of my favorite MotoGP photographers, ran across this.

:stare:

Maybe not the most technically amazing capture ever but goddamn what a moment.

Also really dug this:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some great work from the late Tim Hertherington, an inside look at the lives of soldiers.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2012/04/15/147672749/late-photographer-tim-hetheringtons-work-showed-interior-lives-of-soldiers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

William Albert Allard: Five Decades

Incredible photojournalist for Nat Geo.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/allards-west/allard-photography

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Lars Tunbjörk

Bitingly funny and absurd photography.

el Brainvomito
Dec 30, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hey, can I make a request? Because you know, it's about other photographers, it seems most suitable thread here and most likely you guys will know this one since people here seem to know everything...!

I've been looking this photo project for my thesis, but seems like I have deleted the bookmark from my browsers. The photo project's idea was set of 12 waist up potrait photos including 12 different persons with same physichal assets. Like white nude woman with dread locks or black bold business guy. I think the photographer/s were based in either Germany or Holland/Belgium/Luxemburg-axel. Even thought it might be cool to see those dozens of the sets they had on their site back then, I don't mind getting their book about the project, if they had taken the pictures away from the internet.

el Brainvomito fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 23, 2012

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

el Brainvomito posted:

Hey, can I make a request? Because you know, it's about other photographers, it seems most suitable thread here and most likely you guys will know this one since people here seem to know everything...!

I've been looking this photo project for my thesis, but seems like I have deleted the bookmark from my browsers. The photo project's idea was set of 12 waist up potrait photos including 12 different persons with same physichal assets. Like white nude woman with dread locks or black bold business guy. I think the photographer/s were based in either Germany or Holland/Belgium/Luxemburg-axel. Even thought it might be cool to see those dozens of the sets they had on their site back then, I don't mind getting their book about the project, if they had taken the pictures away from the internet.

I think you're thinking about exactitudes...http://www.exactitudes.com/

Bang, isn't the internet amazing :)

el Brainvomito
Dec 30, 2008

by T. Finninho

m4mbo posted:

I think you're thinking about exactitudes...http://www.exactitudes.com/

Bang, isn't the internet amazing :)
Yes, it is. Especially this part of the internet. Really, thank you so much! Been looking this so many days in other communities and well, like I expected, you guys know everything.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
https://www.tonyharmer.com

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles8/948701/projects/3187457/afc8424ce632fd03d2f3d630210313eb.jpg

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles8/948701/projects/3224357/dea355288cdcbe975ec7e3bf4ce88950.jpg

(mod edit: images are now links due to borderline image leeching)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 24, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

No images to share, because they're easy enough to find.

But I just wanted to say that I got a copy of Jim Nachtwey's Inferno today.

This book is loving HUGE and it's a gigantic black monument to a decade of suffering and destruction in Eastern Europe and Africa.

This is a very powerful book. Where War Photographer will get you fired up over the man but still get the message across, in Inferno there's no hero to cling to and the subject matter hits you square in the guts.

Nachtwey is an amazing man. Not only is he working under extreme circumstances but his craft is wired so tight.

It was on sale on Amazon.ca (I paid something like $125), I suggest everyone jump on it if possible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's being hammered right now because of Reddit, but this is a great set of 4x5 Kodachromes from WW2. I've been really enjoying WW2 era photos lately, and these are fantastic.

http://pavelkosenko.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/4x5-kodachromes/

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
I've commented before on how much I love the look of those Kodachromes and I just can't figure out what makes them so special.

They are incredibly sharp, the colors are slightly oversaturated, buy there's still more to it.

Also gently caress you Kodak for not realizing that the world was moving to digital and not creating a way to produce Kodachrome in small quantities. Somebody should get on that, Kodak will be dead by the end of the year. They reanimated Polaroid film from the grave, how hard can it be.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
Walter Hugo's work is tits:

his website. watch the video of the process, turns his apartment/studio/lab into a room sized camera to make the plates.

edit: artist's name

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

William Albert Allard: Five Decades

Incredible photojournalist for Nat Geo.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/allards-west/allard-photography

Thanks for posting this, just bought his book.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Bottom Liner posted:

It's being hammered right now because of Reddit, but this is a great set of 4x5 Kodachromes from WW2. I've been really enjoying WW2 era photos lately, and these are fantastic.

http://pavelkosenko.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/4x5-kodachromes/

I didn't know that it was possible for shots like that to happen so long ago, Kodachrome is pretty amazing. I will be hunting around for other pictures like that now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Rot posted:

No images to share, because they're easy enough to find.

But I just wanted to say that I got a copy of Jim Nachtwey's Inferno today.

This book is loving HUGE and it's a gigantic black monument to a decade of suffering and destruction in Eastern Europe and Africa.

This is a very powerful book. Where War Photographer will get you fired up over the man but still get the message across, in Inferno there's no hero to cling to and the subject matter hits you square in the guts.

Nachtwey is an amazing man. Not only is he working under extreme circumstances but his craft is wired so tight.

It was on sale on Amazon.ca (I paid something like $125), I suggest everyone jump on it if possible.

It's hard as hell to look through, but it's one of my favorite photography books.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So this guy takes pretty amazing photos.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just read this interview with Christian Patterson about his book Redheaded Peckerwood. Have to say it sounds very interesting and the photos are quite evocative as well.

A selection of photos from Redheaded Peckerwood
Publisher's review

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

So this guy takes pretty amazing photos.

I think the subject matter is very interesting, and technically they're fine, but the style is just like every art school portfolio I've seen in the past X years.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the subject matter is very interesting, and technically they're fine, but the style is just like every art school portfolio I've seen in the past X years.

So what?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Haha, ok? Just saying, it's good work, just that that style has been done a million times over. The look and feel of the photos just seems unoriginal to me because of what I've seen a lot of. No need to get hostile.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, ok? Just saying, it's good work, just that that style has been done a million times over. The look and feel of the photos just seems unoriginal to me because of what I've seen a lot of. No need to get hostile.

Whelp you're right, there's no room for good photography if it's not 100% new and original.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, I said noone should ever shoot another landscape again.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
A man can't help it if he don't like the look of 400H

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, insult an entire school of aesthetic thought because you don't like it. No need to be hostile.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I didn't insult anything at all, I just said it looked like that and to me it was unoriginal because I have seen it so much. I even said it was good work with interesting subject matter and technical prowess.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm with Bottom Liner on this one. I think they are great examples of lines and composition, but I just don't find them very interesting. I like photos that tell a story, and aside from the guy on the beach, I really don't get much out of these aside from the technical qualities, and the yellow dingy look isn't my favorite. I also think this is why I am terrible at architectural photography. I can see why others like them, though, and since they seem to be popular with a few goons here, they probably deserve to be in here. :)

That being said, this is also about the 50th time this debate has come up in this thread, so here are some more photos! NatGeo Traveler's Annual Photo Contest is underway! As you can expect, there are some mediocre shots with some pretty fantastic ones thrown in. You can see every entry now instead of just "featured" ones every week, from the way they describe their gallery. Some of my favorites:

(if only there wasn't so much green, but lovely otherwise)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Axel Serenity posted:

(if only there wasn't so much green, but lovely otherwise)

I'm with Bottom Liner on this one. I think they are great examples of National Geographic Travel Photography, but I just don't find them very interesting. I like photos that tell a story, and aside from the smoke in the air, I really don't get much out of these aside from the tourism, and the Southeast Asian look isn't my favorite. I also think this is why I am terrible at trust fund photography. I can see why others like them, though, and since they seem to be popular with a few goons here, they probably deserve to be in here. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This thread went real :psyduck: all of a sudden.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Haha. Guys, guys - No need to poo poo into each others lawns here. I must say the National Geo photos don't do much for me, but that's probably just because this genre of photography doesn't jibe that well with me.

Devin Yalkins work left me pretty much "Holy poo poo!" though. So different strokes and all that.
That said I wish I could be at least consistently as good as the above architecture/landscape photographer. Taking interesting pictures of stuff is hard.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Reichstag posted:

Lars Tunbjörk

Bitingly funny and absurd photography.

I really enjoyed these, thank you.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

....I kind of agree honestly, but I don't think "originality" is what really bothers me. We all take ideas from people. Anyway the more I see that style the more I get tired of it. Everything's perfectly arranged and so clinical that it can suck the life out of the image. I feel like I'm looking at a diagram of how to take photos. This is how you shoot buildings, put this line there and that one there. Where can I see something I didn't expect?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I blame the Dusseldorf School of Photography and Stephen Shore for that aesthetic. That said, I absolutely love that style but I can understand that it might feel a bit repetitive.

Crazy Goat
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

This thread went real :psyduck: all of a sudden.

Holy hell, the guy tastefully said he didn't care for them and expressed his opinion.

Some people need to calm down, it's not like he took a dump in your cereal.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Crazy Goat posted:

Holy hell, the guy tastefully said he didn't care for them and expressed his opinion.

Some people need to calm down, it's not like he took a dump in your cereal.

What opinion? He said it's unoriginal but well done technically. He missed the point entirely. Maybe you should read up on the word banal before posting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think those are banal at all. Gursky is banal. A photo of a random wall is banal. Those are well executed landscapes of an exotic location. That is not banal. Don't assume, and don't tell people not to post based on those assumptions.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think those are banal at all. Gursky is banal. A photo of a random wall is banal. Those are well executed landscapes of an exotic location. That is not banal. Don't assume, and don't tell people not to post based on those assumptions.

Okay, don't post because you don't know what you are talking about. "Exotic locations" = stuff white people say about SE Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

Tell us more about how you don't "get" Gursky please. :allears:

• Locked thread