Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

QueenBee posted:

One of my bunnies has something wrong with her eye, it is slightly weepy and she is squinting, doesn't seem to be painful though. What could be going on? I will be taking her to the vet, but is there anything I can do until I get her there? I don't have a car until Thursday, can this wait until then or should I try and figure another way to get her there? Before anyone chews me out I will walk there if needed tomorrow.

Why do pets always get sick at the worst time?

Can you take a taxi? I don't have a car and have to take cabs. Just let the dispatcher know when you call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

beautifck posted:

I do let him out, or open his door when im home. but he even seems to be content to hangout in his bedroom even with the door open. he doesnt spray or anything so thats good. i will get him fixed asap, after his molars are done though...

the family i rescued him from had him in a 2.5ft x 2.5ft cage.. gross PINE shavings.. no toys or hay. he didnt even know what to do with hay when i first gave it to him. but at least hes eating it for the most part... 60% hay is better than nothing.
do you think if i let him meet a fixed female he will start spraying or something?

Spraying would not be my first guess... there will be a LOT of humping or attempts to do so. This will annoy the female to no end because even if she is fixed it doesn't mean she has to put up with that kind of nonsense. I suppose you could try it if you want to see how well he interacts with other rabbits in general, but it's a bad idea if you're thinking about bonding the two. Rabbits know how to hold a grudge.

I'm happy you're giving him a good home now. So many rabbits are badly taken care of, so it's great when their owner actually wants them to have a good life. :]

QueenBee posted:

A better question is do rabbits hate their eyes or something? They sure love burying themselves in hay and not caring one bit about all the sharp bits sticking into their face. Not to mention they love running at you when you have your fingers stuck out at an angle and poking themselves in the eye with your fingers. Or is it just mine that do that?

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010
I managed to finagle a lift to the vet early tomorrow, and maybe home if I get an early appointment. so I will ring them early tomorrow and see if they can get me in then, if not I will hang around until they can. Then I will catch the bus home, I figure if I put her in a cat litter box no one will know. The worst time bunny, car troubles this week, an exam next Tues, ANZAC day this week so a public holiday, and it's Sunday today so I don't even know if they have an early booking. She's lucky she is cute, gonna smooch that fluffy angora nose :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I heard a weird noise and turned on the light. Bitsy was in my room walking in circles.... like a cat chasing its tail. She seemed really confused like she didn't know what way to go. Like she couldn't see (this was before I turned the light on but there was still light in the room).

she seems to have "snapped out of it" and is behaving normally from what I can tell.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
My rabbit is recovering, but he's still not at his usual level of eating and pooping. I'll take what I can get.

I'm starting to think that maybe the mites came in through a window in his room. I just wanted him to have fresh air :smith: . Thinking of maybe taping up the window area

QueenBee posted:

One of my bunnies has something wrong with her eye, it is slightly weepy and she is squinting, doesn't seem to be painful though. What could be going on? I will be taking her to the vet, but is there anything I can do until I get her there? I don't have a car until Thursday, can this wait until then or should I try and figure another way to get her there? Before anyone chews me out I will walk there if needed tomorrow.

They can get hay and crap in their tear ducts. And sometimes their eyes just derp out for no apparent reason at all (my vet specializes in rabbits and she never could figure out why my Flemish Giant's eyes were weepy (antibiotics did nothing, flushing tear ducts did nothing, doesn't seem to be a tooth thing, etc).

It could probably wait, but if anything changes, take your bun in asap. For now, gently wipe the area with a towel soaked in warm water once or twice a day.

Edit: Yay, you're taking her in :)

Also, I've just realized that my Flemish has now officially had something wrong with his eyes, ears, feet, fur, and digestive system. I swear he is loved, cared for, and does not live in squalor :smith:

Edit again: BinkyBunny has willow wreaths in stock again (http://store.binkybunny.com/willow-wreaths-with-foliage-p42.aspx)! I got a sample of willow leaves in a previous BinkyBunny order and my Flemish went apeshit for them, so I ordered the max amount (6). Can't wait to see his reaction! Highly recommend BinkyBunny. They accidentally sent me the wrong thing once and they responded immediately, let me keep the incorrect item, and sent me the correct item for free. Plus, every order comes with a free gift. BusyBunny doesn't even seem to give you the free notepads anymore :(.

Pig Boots fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 22, 2012

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I admit that I'm officially sold on Carefresh for the simple fact that this is the first time that I have cleaned Hass' cage and he jumped right back in 30 minutes later instead of me having to chase him back in at midnight because I needed sleep.

Now I just have to survive having a new comer move into my apartment.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I've got a diet question, specifically about Kale. This page ( http://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html ) doesn't reference Kale as something that should be a highly limited part of the diet, and even refutes the idea that it is high in Oxalic Acid.

Elsewhere I've read the exact opposite, and even noticed that the shopping list linked at the top of that same page mentions it as a 1-3 times per week food along with Mustard Greens.

I've always played it safe and limited the kale to a few times per week, but would really like to be able to mix it in with their daily variety if it's harmless. Our rabbits are really picky on their veggies and it would be awesome to be able to give them a little extra of what they go nuts for.

edit: The more I'm searching around the more I'm seeing the concerns over calcium more than the Oxalates, but once again it seems to be split opinions on how much is too much.

The337th fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 23, 2012

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

DS at Night posted:

Ehhhhh I'm not sure it ever works. Even if people say "my rabbit is totally the dominant one, he kicks that cat's rear end!" that's not a good thing. That means the rabbit is scared and is lunging at the cat as a sort of defensive strike. Even if they are on equal terms it only needs to go wrong once for the rabbit to drop dead. I've definitely known a case of that happening. I would say if anybody who already has a rabbit is considering getting a cat or vice versa, they should get either two rabbits or two cats instead. It would be much better for them.

I don't completely agree. I think my late cat and rabbit had a successful friendship that started when my rabbit was just a few months old and was introduced to my cats who were about 8 years old at the time. He even got along with the ferret, though I would never recommend that situation to someone who isn't familiar with keeping either animal. My other cat has always been indifferent to new animals in the house(we've had many). In fact, I had more trouble with rabbit-on-rabbit interactions than rabbit vs any other pet.

If an owner knows their pets well enough, then they will know whether or not introducing them is the right thing to do. Yes, it only takes a split second for something to go terribly wrong but not everyone is buying a rabbit intending for it to get along splendidly with a dog or cat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I think that prey and predator animals should not have to live together in a domesticated setting.

Regardless of how successful a relationship it is possible to have and regardless of how well you know your animals, they are animals. They run on instinct - especially prey animals.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The337th posted:

I've got a diet question, specifically about Kale. This page ( http://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html ) doesn't reference Kale as something that should be a highly limited part of the diet, and even refutes the idea that it is high in Oxalic Acid.

It's an older source, but per http://www.ajcn.org/content/51/4/656.abstract, kale is low-oxalate and high in calcium with high bioavailability of its calcium (at least in humans).

If your rabbits are older or have a history of bladder sludge/stones, I would avoid it except in small amounts. However, if you feed a large variety, small amounts of it are fine. Personally I mostly avoid it, but even my 14y.o. sludgey girl gets a tiny leaf once a month or so.

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010
So I didn't take my bun in today, because I woke up this morning and her eye is perfectly fine, like nothing was ever wrong with it. I rinsed it out gently with a dropper of sterile saline last night, so I think she might of just had some dust trapped in there or something. I think I will still take he in on Thursday to get her checked out, as I am a worrier.

Poor girl she has just gotten used to us and started being a snuggle bun, now she is all pissed off again over the eye washing :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

QueenBee posted:

Poor girl she has just gotten used to us and started being a snuggle bun, now she is all pissed off again over the eye washing :(

It's the cycle of bun ownership. Cilantro hides from me 50% of the time when I come in her room and it's been over a month since I was dosing her daily with Reglan.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

So anyway as a gift I got a rabbit toy from my sister today, who obviously means well and all that usual stuff. It was called a "straw carrot" and claims to be great for a rabbit to gnaw on. Thing is it's made of what looks like orange rope that has obviously been glued together. Some Googling tells me the inside is basically rubbish, like stones and couch stuffing and Japanese newspapers. One of the comments even says their rabbit died from it.

Now I would say it's normal that my sister doesn't automatically assume that something you buy in a pet store is actively harmful to your pets. But holy poo poo how the gently caress do they get away with selling this poo poo aaargh why does nobody care :bang:

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Rabbit update: Poop appearance and quantity are just about back to normal, still eating a little less than usual, but he's pretty much fine now.

DS at Night posted:

So anyway as a gift I got a rabbit toy from my sister today, who obviously means well and all that usual stuff. It was called a "straw carrot" and claims to be great for a rabbit to gnaw on. Thing is it's made of what looks like orange rope that has obviously been glued together. Some Googling tells me the inside is basically rubbish, like stones and couch stuffing and Japanese newspapers. One of the comments even says their rabbit died from it.

Now I would say it's normal that my sister doesn't automatically assume that something you buy in a pet store is actively harmful to your pets. But holy poo poo how the gently caress do they get away with selling this poo poo aaargh why does nobody care :bang:

I don't understand it, either. However, things are actually improving as far as the pet stores go. Do they still sell crappy "fiesta" pellets, yogurt treats, and dangerous toys? Yes. But healthy (timothy-based!!!) pellets and various hays are available pretty much everywhere now, and most stores have at least one safe toy. When I got my first rabbit, ALL of the toys were crap and I could only buy one brand of Timothy-based pellets (and I could only find it at my vet's office, and at one high-end pet shop). Pet shops still have a LONG way to go, but at least they're good for more than just Carefresh and litter boxes these days.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

A devil looking for papaya tablets.

A simple rabbit chilling in a fortress

Recently there was a leak in the ceiling of the devil room. I had to make them a "for the time being" cage but they don't like it. Instead, they have opted to live like hobos in this box.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I don't know which I like better so I'll post them both:

:3:

:3:

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
Introducing my two house buns, Lando (the brown-ish tortoise-shell fur) and his gal pal Hannah Solo (black fur. We thought she was a he when we first adopted her, only later to be proven wrong.) This was taken earlier this year, chilling in one of their litter boxes.

Since then, Hannah has hit bunny puberty (she has the cutest dew lap) but is constantly face-humping poor Lando. So until she gets spayed early next month, we have to keep them separate.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Omg dewlaps are my favorite. I don't know why, I just love them on buns. Post adorable dewlaps itt! SAMe doesn't have one, I don't know if lionheads just don't really get them or what.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

A couple of veggie snobs:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

We recently acquired a new member of our family!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

omg love! What's his/her name and how old etc!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

His name is Charlie, and he's <5 months right now. We're not sure on the exact birthdate, though. Our vet has told us we had to wait to get him fixed because he wasn't old enough yet, so. But he makes me all kinds of :shobon:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So I was taking care of TJ and discovered he likes to eat cobwebs. He gets into places that haven't been cleaned in a bit and licks the walls. I brought up a flower pot that was in storage for a while and he prairie dogs next to it just licking the cobwebs off.

I also discovered he can thump the ground while standing on his rear legs. Thanks for keeping us alert about that blue jay in the feeder for 90 minutes little guy.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

aww TJ! Paterson used to lick coins that he found on the ground. He would be sitting quietly and when I would go to see what he was doing he would run away leaving a moist, warm coin behind.

the image of a bunny sitting around licking a wall makes me laugh.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This was when we brought him home;

And here is him as a pancake.

Silly bunny :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro is shedding heavily aka "why is there rabbit fur in my X?" where X = everything.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy hasn't peed on the floor in a few days. I had started to keep them in their room exclusively for the last while because she was having this ~issue~ with peeing anywhere she wanted to (in their room, only). So I guess that locking them up is working. It's hard on me because I'm bad at saying no to them and anytime that Bitsy looks at me I know that she is telling me to let her out with every psychic power that she has.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What would make an acceptable bunny friendly flooring for a cage? I don't want to put a piece of flooring in there that Charlie will chew up and give him tummy troubles. :ohdear:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Grass mats are wonderful. You can get them from Busy Bunny, or World Market/Cost Plus sells seagrass mat rugs at $10 per 1'x9' strip (or they did last time I checked in-store, I couldn't find them online).

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Imalloutofideas posted:

What would make an acceptable bunny friendly flooring for a cage? I don't want to put a piece of flooring in there that Charlie will chew up and give him tummy troubles. :ohdear:

Are you looking for hard flooring or soft flooring? If it's hard flooring, I think some people use chloroplast.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Getting back after a few days' absense... "there you are, now give me treats, where are my treats, I like my treats, I want treats, give them to me. Wait you were gone? Treats."

I guess this is what you get for not having a dog.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy has stopped peeing on the floor! YAY!!!!!!!! It has been almost a year of unlittertrained annoying hell but after being locked in their (very spacious and complex) cage and not let out for the past month she has stopped PEEING on the floor. Now the poops....

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Yay luscious! Charlie seemed to be litter trained when we got him. We put the pan down and he just went for it. I'm happy for your success, but super glad I didn't have to struggle (so far)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Imalloutofideas posted:

Yay luscious! Charlie seemed to be litter trained when we got him. We put the pan down and he just went for it. I'm happy for your success, but super glad I didn't have to struggle (so far)

When I got both of them they were littertrained but still had accidents. Then I was traveling for a little while and my brother was taking care of them. I think that they got stressed and she managed to unlittertrain herself in protest or something. I don't know. I just kind of figured that she would do what she was going to do but my boyfriend was really adamant about the fact that she would be littertrained again if we locked them in a smaller area and didn't give them run of the whole apt.

They have been in that section of cage / room for about three weeks now. The peeing has stopped but who knows how long for the pooping.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Hass has taken to the new human living in the apartment very well. Of course it helps that my boyfriend has let the bunn out of the cage whenever he is home and I have been feeding him endive, parsley, spinach, etc (ie, the dude is spoiled as all hell.)

However, the new furniture we just got has confused Hass so much and he is very squirmish right now...

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro ate half her dinner and wasn't enthusiastic at all about pellets. I'll be checking on her in 3 hours or so. Litter box is changed to track poops, 1cc reglan administered! Hold on, the ride is starting!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

good luck :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Awesome, when a rabbit has had GI problems before I get the idea that they get them again more easily later on. Good luck with that :/

On an unrelated note what is the cutoff point between being somebody who likes her rabbit pets, and being a crazy rabbit lady? There's this person I know who takes really bad care of her rabbit, basically ever since she got a dog she regrets ever getting the rabbit who she sees as a burden. He never gets to leave the cage, the dog harrasses him constantly, things like that. I want to confiscate that rabbit. But I think it really wouldn't work between him and my two other ones. There are people here who have three rabbits living together right? Was it a lot of work to make that go well? And were the first two already friendly rabbits?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I would take it even just to surrender to the Humane Society. I have seen situations like that. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I have a hard time telling when a rabbit is playing with a thing or pissed off at a thing, so help me out:

Gordon loves to play with the twist ties that come around her lettuce. She grabs them and puts them in the air with her mouth. Is it terribly cruel to sit it around her hears and laugh as she knocks it off?

e: just realized I typed hears for ears but it works