Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's alliiiive!

It's an assignment for a data structures class. I know it's not very exciting but this is the first real confirmation I've gotten in some time that my code works, aside from tracing algorithms and crunching numbers and tracing it on a paper grid to make sure what it was doing made sense. Next step is to get gnuplot to make it pretty for me.

The numbers are rovers, and the Xes are obstructions. Rovers enter the world not knowing anythign but what they've seen, and have to explore and map the surface while trying to minimize terrain costs (they don't even know how big the world is so most of my headache has been keeping track of them using different systems on the inside and the outside and reconciling the two, so that the outside knows where the rover is in order to tell it what it can see). Underneath that is a randomly generated world like this, where the cost to move from any given cell to the next is determined by the relative heights:

The rovers don't know anything about each other yet, and when they step on each other currently Bad Things Happen. It appears in my screenshot that 4 has already been eaten. Rest in peace, rover 4. Ultimately they should sync their map data when they become adjacent but this isn't a requirement (though it may be a final exam thing and I've written what I have with that addition in mind). I've imagined a clever algorithm for doing it efficiently so I want to do it at some point.

Also, gently caress the boost graph library's documentation forever

Bonus animated gif of my terrain generator doing its thing on a 250x250 grid: http://i.minus.com/ibfCc5XFfKEUB2.gif (linked because it's big)

I wish I knew how to animate stuff like this in realtime inside the program instead of having to deal with gnuplot. Someday.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004

A small web app that will send you a notification if a band you like is coming to town.

I found out that one of my favorite bands had been in town two weeks earlier.. they broke up several years later, without ever coming back.. this is something that's stuck in my mind since.

Edit: It's up and running at http://concertsby.me

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Instead of sleeping I got gnuplot to give me sexy output :toot:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

drat, that's some sexy output. What kind of pathfinding are you using?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

drat, that's some sexy output. What kind of pathfinding are you using?

e: the rover has to map the accessible surface, with costs and constraints related to slope as well as obstructions (the red checks), knowing only about cells it has been adjacent to

It's just dijkstra from the BGL at the moment. It runs until it finds a shortest path to an unvisited vertex, then stops the algorithm and pushes that path into its command queue. Then it follows the command queue until it discovers a new unvisited vertex, either on the way or at its destination, at which point it dumps whatever's left in the queue and recalculates.

I've been pondering how I might better implement the pathfinding but I'm already above and beyond what the assignment calls for and I really need to stop working on this and do linear algebra and physics stuff :negative:

I've never used the BGL or done pathfinding stuff or dealt with adjacency lists in actual code so aside from having to get my head around the awful, sadistic BGL documentation and generic witchcraft I've had fun slaving away over this thing.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 17, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Next you need to have the rovers build 'communications towers' when they reach the tallest point of land they're on. These could transmit map information to any other rover in line of sight ;)

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
I continue to crack away at Marathon's map format in my spare time. I now render it using actual WebGL calls (gl.drawElements) rather than 2D canvas calls. Also, I can read the polygon type (water, platform, etc.) and respond accordingly. I'm incorrectly rendering secret doors, landscaped textured polys, and a few other things, but it's a solid first cut I think.

I have the first cut at getting the lines in, but again, it's a first cut. I'm not properly ignoring lines between similar elevations, or the bolding the lines on the edge of the map.

Exploring all this is incredibly cool and rewarding. WebGL is surprisingly different than the version of OpenGL used in Aleph One which is forcing me to actually understand both the OpenGL and the WebGL. The fact that javascript isn't strongly typed is making the code considerably simpler -- that and I don't need to hack in support for different platforms or SDL.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Not a screenshot, but my website/tutorial on Erlang, Learn You Some Erlang has officially got its page to be published by No Starch Press as a dead tree book.

Pretty happy about it, although I'm fighting a bit to get the book cover to look a bit more like the site. That will be the conclusion of roughly 4 years of hard work during weeknights and week-ends, very eager to hold a real copy in my hands :3:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

Not a screenshot, but my website/tutorial on Erlang, Learn You Some Erlang has officially got its page to be published by No Starch Press as a dead tree book.

Pretty happy about it, although I'm fighting a bit to get the book cover to look a bit more like the site. That will be the conclusion of roughly 4 years of hard work during weeknights and week-ends, very eager to hold a real copy in my hands :3:

Ask No Starch to use the same material for the cover that they did for Land of Lisp, poo poo's awesome

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Congrats, that is awesome. No Starch owns and I agree regarding the Land of Lisp binding.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

MononcQc posted:

Is this coming so SafariBooksOnline?

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Grawl posted:

Is this coming so SafariBooksOnline?

It's already free online, if that's what you're after: http://learnyousomeerlang.com/content

pianoSpleen
Jun 13, 2007
printf("Java is for programmers with no %socks", "c");

Pfhreak posted:

I continue to crack away at Marathon's map format in my spare time. I now render it using actual WebGL calls (gl.drawElements) rather than 2D canvas calls. Also, I can read the polygon type (water, platform, etc.) and respond accordingly. I'm incorrectly rendering secret doors, landscaped textured polys, and a few other things, but it's a solid first cut I think.

I have the first cut at getting the lines in, but again, it's a first cut. I'm not properly ignoring lines between similar elevations, or the bolding the lines on the edge of the map.

Exploring all this is incredibly cool and rewarding. WebGL is surprisingly different than the version of OpenGL used in Aleph One which is forcing me to actually understand both the OpenGL and the WebGL. The fact that javascript isn't strongly typed is making the code considerably simpler -- that and I don't need to hack in support for different platforms or SDL.

Hi there! I've actually done a custom source port of Marathon before; if you're interested I can share my experience with you. Give me a yell if you are :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is sort of a repost but I'm picking up this project again and would like to get some feedback on what kind of features would be helpful to implement. This video shows some of the changes I've made since the currently-released 0.15 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T26nQX1Pc6g

To avoid clutter in this thread hit me up on IRC or on the Facebook page I just made for it.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

pianoSpleen posted:

Hi there! I've actually done a custom source port of Marathon before; if you're interested I can share my experience with you. Give me a yell if you are :)

Yes, yes I am. You don't have the PMs, however. What's a good way to get in touch?

pianoSpleen
Jun 13, 2007
printf("Java is for programmers with no %socks", "c");
Hit me with an email: lol_spam at prolapsoft dot com

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

Congrats! One day I hope to have something to write about.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

:2bong: parse everything :2bong:

- by teffu

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

These days, O'Reilly is releasing a bunch of books under 150 pages on various topics. I've been a tech reviewer on one of these and I guess your parsing stuff could fit that pattern. Remind me to tell you more about their format on IRC.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
I know this can be frowned upon, but other than buying the book through NoStarch press (Sept. 2012 and I'm a horrible cheap bastard) is there any other way to offer some voluntary compensation? I've been plowing through the book online and feel a little guilty about giving nothing back.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

I know this can be frowned upon, but other than buying the book through NoStarch press (Sept. 2012 and I'm a horrible cheap bastard) is there any other way to offer some voluntary compensation? I've been plowing through the book online and feel a little guilty about giving nothing back.

I've never set up a channel to receive money. This is because I always feared that I'd get people to donate who would then ask me to cover topic X and Y and be really persistent about it, waving donation money as if it had bought them a right to try and boss me around on stuff to write.

I knew full well that I would be losing money putting stuff online, that people would be getting the information for free (this was in fact one of my main objectives). You don't have to pay me anything or compensate in any way. If you don't feel like paying No Starch for the book, just don't. I'm fine with it.

Even publishing the book isn't something that I plan will bring much money. It is very likely that it will take a long time before I can say I wrote the book for even the minimum wage. I got my true compensation in terms of reputation and job offers with better salaries already, so really, no guilt to feel on your part.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It kind of speaks for itself.

We'll be going into beta someday today, and it should soft-launch on Facebook sometimes soon after that. Right now, I'm in DB hell, since I have to hand-enter all of the sweater definitions with raw PHP. If it succeeds, I'll... you know, actually make a tool for this. For now, though: Ugh.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Shalinor posted:

It kind of speaks for itself.

We'll be going into beta someday today, and it should soft-launch on Facebook sometimes soon after that. Right now, I'm in DB hell, since I have to hand-enter all of the sweater definitions with raw PHP. If it succeeds, I'll... you know, actually make a tool for this. For now, though: Ugh.

I know what it's supposed to say, but it looks like it says "a game about knilling"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I know what it's supposed to say, but it looks like it says "a game about knilling"

I thought it was this, and just assumed that knilling was a thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Yeah maybe remove the outlines between the pins and the letters (one pin per T).

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
I know the n is there, and that those are ts. But I still can't help read it as "a game about killing" cheerfully.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Carthag posted:

Yeah maybe remove the outlines between the pins and the letters (one pin per T).
I think just connecting the little hands to the T's on either side might be enough. Should be an easy enough tweak to make.

(thanks for the feedback, yeah, hadn't ever really looked at it like that before)

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

This is the first thing I saw:

Also, the purple backdrop behind the text doesn't really match the cartoony style you have going elsewhere.

vv : I like the ball of yarn too, it just immediately reminded me of the Chrome logo.

Pfhreak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 27, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Shalinor posted:

I think just connecting the little hands to the T's on either side might be enough. Should be an easy enough tweak to make.

I agree. I think if you take away the lines connecting it to the L shapes may look good. Also, I like the ball of yarn, though it could be smaller.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

Factor Mystic posted:

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

ClickOnce install link

Todo:
- Out of box/post install experience
- Capture region functionality
- Color eyedropper
- Better uploading stuff (OAuth)
- Documentation
- Website
- In-app editing, at least cropping and probably also redaction and arrows
- Metrics/feedback collection

More work on this, most visibly region capture (with optional + default region select helper thing):

Minimalist but functional.

Since the app doesn't have a single instance limitation yet, I used the region-selecting capability of instance #2 to take this. :v:

Again, if anyone wants to try this out, just hit the link I quoted above. Also since last time I added Ctrl + Shift + PrintScreen which takes a great documentation quality screenshot of the current foreground window and directly uploads it to Imgur and copies the link to your clipboard. That functionality has been possible for quite awhile, but now it's in the default out of box configuration.

If you're one of the four people who've already downloaded this app all you need to do to update is hit the 'Relaunch to update' menu item on the system tray icon, and it will (should!) silently bring you up to date. Streamlined, no-thought updates are a priority for this app (should be for all desktop apps) and so I'm pleased that that appears to be working.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
This has kept me busy since Easter.

Edit: The two guys on the left just hacked those two server racks so now the four other dudes are distracted by their crashing computers.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I knew fuckall about web based programming when I started this. And now I know a little bit of Javascript and PHP.

I scraped some info and created a database of 5000+ home addresses and the prices that they were evaluated at according to the national association of realtors. Then I used the google geocoding api to get their latitude and longitude values and store that in the DB. Now i display them in pink / red circles based on price. Also you can see schools. Foreclosures are the red balloons with links to their webpages.

Only one zipcode and thousands of circles on a page chews up memory though.

http://www.somethinglikecorkscrews.com/

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Could you shade a street at the average price and only plot majorly different prices as dots?
Save the fine plotting of each house value to a zoomed in view.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Been playing MUDs lately, and realised I only needed to tweak my roguelike engine a little bit to make text-based input easily done even as a main method of control. Ended up actually making my sample project for the engine use this by default, since it's easier to show off and test the extensibility of the engine with it!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not much to see here visually, but I finished full code-coverage tests for the 6502 implementation I'm writing for an NES emulator. With the CPU pretty much done, time to dive in and start building the PPU.

Writing the whole thing in Go (and planning to use SDL for the graphics/audio layer). I've written a handful of VM's in Go recently and really like it for that kind of task.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Ferg posted:

Not much to see here visually, but I finished full code-coverage tests for the 6502 implementation I'm writing for an NES emulator. With the CPU pretty much done, time to dive in and start building the PPU.

Writing the whole thing in Go (and planning to use SDL for the graphics/audio layer). I've written a handful of VM's in Go recently and really like it for that kind of task.

I am curious what resources you use for building emulators.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TJChap2840 posted:

I am curious what resources you use for building emulators.

http://emu-docs.org/ has been a godsend. It still requires a lot of research though. The PPU was never publicly documented so that will be a lot of reading up on reverse-engineered information and learning from what other folks have done as well (that's true for the APU as well).

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I am a terrible, terrible Draw Something player, so rather than admit I can't figure out an obvious-in-hindsight drawing, on the bus yesterday I wrote a quick Python script that brute-forces all possible words of a certain length that could be spelled with the 12 supplied characters. It ain't much to look at, but:

[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py lekuuovelymw 7
ukulele
[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py sxqepivytdxk 7
skydive
[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py ccegmopqrtuu 8
computer

I will forever look cool in the eyes of my mobile gaming friends.

It was a fun excuse to write a recursive generator, which went to show that I don't actaully understand how yield is implemented under the hood :pcgaming:

ShadoX
Oct 4, 2004
There is no W!

Dijkstracula posted:

I am a terrible, terrible Draw Something player, so rather than admit I can't figure out an obvious-in-hindsight drawing, on the bus yesterday I wrote a quick Python script that brute-forces all possible words of a certain length that could be spelled with the 12 supplied characters. It ain't much to look at, but:

[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py lekuuovelymw 7
ukulele
[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py sxqepivytdxk 7
skydive
[tnathan@diamond code]$ python dscheat.py ccegmopqrtuu 8
computer

I will forever look cool in the eyes of my mobile gaming friends.

It was a fun excuse to write a recursive generator, which went to show that I don't actaully understand how yield is implemented under the hood :pcgaming:

Is it using the actual Draw Something word list? Otherwise you're going to be drawing a blank on a lot of the stupid two word "words."

Edit: "kingtut" is a good one I saw recently.

ShadoX fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

ShadoX posted:

Is it using the actual Draw Something word list? Otherwise you're going to be drawing a blank on a lot of the stupid two word "words."
No, just /usr/share/dict/words , which was enough for me to figure out friggin "skydive". I haven't encountered any of the two-word "words" yet (maybe I would if I played more, but if I played more I'd be good enough that I wouldn't need to cheat at it :v: )