Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

And just in case he decides to point out that "LOOK AT THE RX8, THEY PUBLISH DIFFERENT NUMBERS FOR THE AUTO AND MANUAL", it's because the auto RX8 gets a different, less-powerful, lower-RPM rotary :v:

Of course, your life would be far better if you just avoided these types of conversations in the first place.

Same with the Camaro which has the L99 in the auto and the LS3 in the manual.

You can't convince him anyways, once you get past the fact that VW is not secretly producing underrated 300 horsepower monsters he'll do what the Honda guys used to do in the early 2000s. Endlessly point you at "tuned" VeeDub dyno queens pushing 900 (unusable) horsepower on E85 and 40 lbs of boost and prattle on endlessly about how VW didn't unleash the full potential of the 1.8T but the real fans know the deal. Then he's gonna seal the deal with some stupid joke about dumbestics or Rustangs and continue not caring that his car is slow.

You can't win arguments with fanboys. Don't even try.

PS this is slightly off topic but the VeeDub scene is full of the dumbest dummies who've ever dumbed. The domestic guys have their rednecks and the import guys love lovely body kits and fart cans but I've never seen either them cut notches in the frame so they can slam it...hello salvage title.

http://www.baylordrivingclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8262

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
People have been notching frames for ever and ever and if you do it right it's fine.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

You can't win arguments with fanboys. Don't even try.

I deal with them by asking them to come to the track and prove it. I've never had one take me up on the offer.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm wondering how that new GT500 is going to put the power down unless they increase rear tire width drastically from the 285s. The regular GT felt like a handful to me on 255s.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kronix posted:

It has more torque off idle than the current GT has anywhere. I think we're at the point where the new GT500 is stupidly awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as I hope it's going to be, it's approaching super car levels of fast.

I certainly would love to kill myself in one.

It has the same amount of torque at 1000rpm as a ferrari 458 italia makes at peak, which is at 6000 RPM.

It might be the most powerful production soft top ever. I can't think of a more powerful one. The zonda cinque and veyron gran sport are obviously more powerful roadsters, but they're not conventional convertibles, more targa hard tops.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, I should know better than to argue with a fanboy. Still... thanks, guys.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah, I should know better than to argue with a fanboy. Still... thanks, guys.

"When the green flag drops, the bullshit stops."

It's a phrase for a reason.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Goddamn it. I've been shopping around for Noble M400s but now I sort of want a new GT500.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The temptation to go with this is killing me. 7500 USD to put my '12 over 600hp?

Yes please.

Now to convince the wife.

Tide fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 28, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Comrade Flynn posted:

Goddamn it. I've been shopping around for Noble M400s but now I sort of want a new GT500.

I only have 2nd hand knowledge from that shop I visited with 3 Nobles, but if you want to drive the car frequently, a Noble isn't gonna cut it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I only have 2nd hand knowledge from that shop I visited with 3 Nobles, but if you want to drive the car frequently, a Noble isn't gonna cut it.

Why? I've been having a hard time finding people who have actually put any real miles on the cars to talk to.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Can you get the new GT500 or whatever the nearest Camaro equivalent is ...

with an automatic tranny?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Number_6 posted:

The ZL-1 had its Nurburgring time set with the automatic version.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Comrade Flynn posted:

Youre going to park an m400 on the street :psyduck:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why? I've been having a hard time finding people who have actually put any real miles on the cars to talk to.

I was checking out an M5. The owner happened to run a specialty car shop. He was cool, and we chilled for an hour just talking cars. There were 2 Noble 400s, a GTO, and a Rossion. Some mental notes:
- very garage build mentality: weird variations between cars, very lazy wiring/routing
- the Duratec just can't cut it at the power levels they're trying. Hell, the GTO was getting a KA swapped in for better reliability (and power?).
- the 400 that was a track car had something go wrong at the last 3 track days it'd gone to, resulting in not being able to run the whole day.
The fact that there were 4 Nobles (not a terribly common car) all torn down in a small shop in Lawrence, MA said enough to me about their upkeep.

I can give you his contact info if you want to him him up for more details.

He did say that, when everything is working right, there's nothing like it in terms of power or sensation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

I was checking out an M5. The owner happened to run a specialty car shop. He was cool, and we chilled for an hour just talking cars. There were 2 Noble 400s, a GTO, and a Rossion. Some mental notes:
- very garage build mentality: weird variations between cars, very lazy wiring/routing
- the Duratec just can't cut it at the power levels they're trying. Hell, the GTO was getting a KA swapped in for better reliability (and power?).
- the 400 that was a track car had something go wrong at the last 3 track days it'd gone to, resulting in not being able to run the whole day.
The fact that there were 4 Nobles (not a terribly common car) all torn down in a small shop in Lawrence, MA said enough to me about their upkeep.

He did say that, when everything is working right, there's nothing like it in terms of power or sensation.

But that is what they actually are though - kits imported and then assembled individually by the owners? Also what KA swap? You mean the engine from an early 80s Nissan truck?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

But that is what they actually are though - kits imported and then assembled individually by the owners? Also what KA swap? You mean the engine from an early 80s Nissan truck?

I understand that they're low volume hand built cars. But I was relaying evidence of their panning out as such. Oops, I meant the K20.
Wtf, this is the Mustang thread.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

kronix posted:

Same with the Camaro which has the L99 in the auto and the LS3 in the manual.

You can't convince him anyways, once you get past the fact that VW is not secretly producing underrated 300 horsepower monsters he'll do what the Honda guys used to do in the early 2000s. Endlessly point you at "tuned" VeeDub dyno queens pushing 900 (unusable) horsepower on E85 and 40 lbs of boost and prattle on endlessly about how VW didn't unleash the full potential of the 1.8T but the real fans know the deal. Then he's gonna seal the deal with some stupid joke about dumbestics or Rustangs and continue not caring that his car is slow.

This makes me sad because I was just like this with the 2jz in the early 2000s. The LS1 and the Coyote made me see the light.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I have no clue about the Chevy, but i know Ford doesn't put an automatic into the GT500. You can swap in an automatic without much trouble, however.

In other news, the 2013 5.0 doesn't have the piston oil squirters like the 2011/12. Most people that have been building these engines have been removing them anyway, so I'm not sure it's a big deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

In other news, the 2013 5.0 doesn't have the piston oil squirters like the 2011/12. Most people that have been building these engines have been removing them anyway, so I'm not sure it's a big deal.

I saw that it was part of the tweaks to get extra hp. It's a bit surprising that they would take out a small but expensive to design in feature like that so soon.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oh yeah, for those of you wanting a turbo kit, I'd recommend waiting for Ken Bjonnes and Power by the Hour to get done with their collaboration kit. Ken is a badass and Power by the Hour make some really impressive stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/66WvM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oKtZl.jpg

http://youtu.be/XDP5ei35OVk

Edit: Forgot to add that it did 206mph at the Texas Mile.

http://youtu.be/w0fOPDXo4Tg

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 28, 2012

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

blargle posted:

I'm wondering how that new GT500 is going to put the power down unless they increase rear tire width drastically from the 285s. The regular GT felt like a handful to me on 255s.

If it's anything like the 2012's, it'll be pretty ugly. I can light up the tires in my car on the highway. If you are on an undivided highway and need to quickly pass someone, you really need to be mindful of how quickly you stomp the gas as you might end up pulling the pass sideways. Oh, god help you if it's cold and raining out, you'll be spinning the tires as soon as you let off the clutch. Merging in that weather is a bitch.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 28, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

Youre going to park an m400 on the street :psyduck:

Where on earth did I say that?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Question: Just how much abuse can the 2012 V6 transmission/clutch take? This is the first standard car I've ever driven and I'm kinda bouncing around and stalling...you know, newbie stuff.

Would it be a good idea to get the transmission oil flushed and changed after 1000 or so miles to clean up all the metal shaving my ineptitude has caused?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rabble posted:

Question: Just how much abuse can the 2012 V6 transmission/clutch take? This is the first standard car I've ever driven and I'm kinda bouncing around and stalling...you know, newbie stuff.

Would it be a good idea to get the transmission oil flushed and changed after 1000 or so miles to clean up all the metal shaving my ineptitude has caused?

That's...not really how manual transmissions work. Unless you are doing really awful stuff like trying to jam it into gear without using the clutch, stalling has no effect on the trans.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

That's...not really how manual transmissions work. Unless you are doing really awful stuff like trying to jam it into gear without using the clutch, stalling has no effect on the trans.

Well, I know that. I just want to make sure that I keep it in tip top shape for a long time, so I want to take care of it and not let potential issues linger. I'm sure I'm just being overly paranoid of a new car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rabble posted:

Not a Mustang, but the 1997 Mirage that my brothers learned to drive stick in lasted 100,000 miles and a decade afterwards.

It takes time to learn a new transmission and clutch too: I bounce and stall my 'stang a bit and I've been manual-only for five years.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Comrade Flynn posted:

Im confused didnt you do your suspension on the street?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rabble posted:

I learned stickshift on my 2011, and it's had no problems whatsoever so far (only 12500km on it still, mind you). I'm led to believe that stalling at a stop isn't really bad for the car, just a pain in the rear end, but stalling it while driving is Bad News (mind you, there's really no reason you should ever do that unless you're paying no attention whatsoever).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

I learned stickshift on my 2011, and it's had no problems whatsoever so far (only 12500km on it still, mind you). I'm led to believe that stalling at a stop isn't really bad for the car, just a pain in the rear end, but stalling it while driving is Bad News (mind you, there's really no reason you should ever do that unless you're paying no attention whatsoever).

Stalling is not particularly bad for a car. The beginner tendency to ride the clutch is bad for the clutch.

How would you stall while driving? Are you talking about not downshifting or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Krakkles posted:

Stalling is not particularly bad for a car. The beginner tendency to ride the clutch is bad for the clutch.

How would you stall while driving? Are you talking about not downshifting or something?

Yeah, if for example you're on the highway and you slow down to avoid a deer or something without putting the clutch in. I nearly did it once (in exactly that situation), but even going 40 km/h in 6th wasn't enough to do it, so like I said, you have to really gently caress up to manage it.

And I can only speak for myself, but when I was learning, I had the opposite problem: acting like the clutch was some sort of evil thing that had to be released as soon as humanly possible (probably because I'd heard of so many newbies riding it too much). Yep, I stalled a lot at the beginning (and had some rather jerky 1-2 shifts).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Shouldn't be any difference stalling the car in 6th vs. stalling the car in 1st, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've stalled cars in high gears locking up the wheels with ABS disabled (embarrassing and brutal on the tires).

When I was learning it took me a long time to get comfortable with slipping the clutch; I would shudder through parking lots lugging the poo poo out of the car and occasionally dumping the clutch and brake simultaneously to adjust course. I still catch myself doing it sometimes. Nobody ever taught me to get a car started on just the clutch so there was no knowledge of any finesse.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 30, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Did you see the Top Gear episode here they took 3 Italian mid engined supercars across Europe and the Noble blew a clutch on the road?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

I drove it to Nija's house as he has air tools there. I have a garage. Thanks for inquiring though!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Number_6 posted:

It would be better if it came with a DCT or an SMG. But new auto boxes are getting so good that they can switch gears faster than most humans.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It would be better if it came with a DCT or an SMG. But new auto boxes are getting so good that they can switch gears faster than most humans.

Switching gears faster is important for numbers, but I won't be driving one of these cars with an automatic until they have the feel right.

Having driven recent Corvettes and the CTSV's with the automatics back to back with the manuals really puts things in perspective. The manuals are just simply much, much, much more fun to drive. Nothing puts a grin on my face like a well done rev match with an obscenely loud exhaust on a manual/V8 powered car.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Switching gears faster is important for numbers, but I won't be driving one of these cars with an automatic until they have the feel right.

Having driven recent Corvettes and the CTSV's with the automatics back to back with the manuals really puts things in perspective. The manuals are just simply much, much, much more fun to drive. Nothing puts a grin on my face like a well done rev match with an obscenely loud exhaust on a manual/V8 powered car.

Try a Porsche with the PDK system. It's amazingly fun.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have an opinion on aftermarket suspension kits for the 2011+ mustang? I was thinking about getting the Eibach Pro System Plus kit. Not so much for the lower stance, but to eliminate the body roll and nose dip on braking/butt dip on accel, and to generally just be a bit tighter than stock.

Anyone have other recommendations or experiences they'd like to share? I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yeah, if for example you're on the highway and you slow down to avoid a deer or something without putting the clutch in. I nearly did it once (in exactly that situation), but even going 40 km/h in 6th wasn't enough to do it, so like I said, you have to really gently caress up to manage it.
Stalling while at speed is really hard, since the kinetic energy of the car will do a pretty good job of spinning the engine.

Hit a milestone today, I don't drive very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rabble posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on aftermarket suspension kits for the 2011+ mustang? I was thinking about getting the Eibach Pro System Plus kit. Not so much for the lower stance, but to eliminate the body roll and nose dip on braking/butt dip on accel, and to generally just be a bit tighter than stock.

Anyone have other recommendations or experiences they'd like to share? I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Eibach makes decent stuff if your goal is just to improve over stock on a street car.