Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
To be fair it's not just an English thing. You should listen to Spanish commentators trying to pronounce 'Wilshere'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Italian ones routinely mangle "Rooney" by saying "Roo-nayee" but other than that they do pretty well.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
I do love it when Jimbo's in a buoyant mood. And also: 'The sure shot shank redemption'. Holy poo poo.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Personally I thought he was a bit disappointed with the contributions of yesterday'd pod guests.

Then again I might just be projecting my dislike of them onto ACJ.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I listen to podcasts to go to sleep. For nights when Football Weekly and the Ramble are not available, I find that the Footy Show, a Canadian podcast, is tolerable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mandalay posted:

Personally I thought he was a bit disappointed with the contributions of yesterday'd pod guests.

Then again I might just be projecting my dislike of them onto ACJ.

Woah woah woah. You didn't like "He came in his face, it was the money shot if you will" ?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

Woah woah woah. You didn't like "He came in his face, it was the money shot if you will" ?

I just heard that one about 30 seconds ago. Holy poo poo.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
at that I lol'd

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

LordPants posted:

More about the in-person guests (in before sean ingle rant)

Rafa Chhhhhhhhonigstein was on the phone :eng101:

fake edit: douuuuble entenre

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Sid is what everyone stereotypically hates about London based football. Snidey shite, odds, snivelling "Well, I said" crap"... blah blah. gently caress all insight. Give me Auclair, Honegstein, Duarte, Bandini. We KNOW about the loving premier league. And don't get that Ewan oval office involved in the Scottish issues, oval office knows gently caress all.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Fuckin hate Audible and their shite adverts.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I like Audible but I hate their ads. :smith:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I tried that Scottish comedy podcast but I couldn't understand a word.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ICA posted:

They've been running that ad for about a year now, right?

What annoyed me was that stupid world cup song that used to get stuck in my head. "Ooh aah, Cote d'Ivoire" :psyduck:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Luke Moore of Football Ramble fame was on this weeks 5Live World Football Phone In instead of Andy Brassell and wasn't terrible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ICA posted:

You're easily annoyed.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

All Of The Dicks posted:

I tried that Scottish comedy podcast but I couldn't understand a word.

haha, being Scottish I dont find their accents that thick, you may need a translater in certain parts of the country!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Speaking of playing Toulouse, why don't we move on to Italy?"

Jimbo :allears:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

peanut- posted:

Jimbo :allears:

Makes me wish I was around for his days on TV presenting Serie A. I can only dream of the puns that were cracked back in the day..

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I wish Sean Ingle would shut up about odds, for real. He always sounds like he's got a snivelly little cold as well which I admittedly think prejudices me against him when he's talking, but he comes off as arrogant and I've can't remember him ever saying something insightful that couldn't have come from any other football journalist in the country.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
The tension between Richardson and Sean Ingle is really strange too.

There was a moment towards the end of today's pod when Ingle made a remark about the conference Sid is attending and James Richardson just sounded incredibly pissed off by it. Maybe I'm just exaggerating but it seems like there's quite a few moments like this between them.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Hoops posted:

I wish Sean Ingle would shut up about odds, for real. He always sounds like he's got a snivelly little cold as well which I admittedly think prejudices me against him when he's talking, but he comes off as arrogant and I've can't remember him ever saying something insightful that couldn't have come from any other football journalist in the country.

He's been overruled quite loudly a lot recently. Annoys me how he seems to think that odds are some rigorous certainty even when results go against them - 'but, but the bookies said-'

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I am OK posted:

He's been overruled quite loudly a lot recently. Annoys me how he seems to think that odds are some rigorous certainty even when results go against them - 'but, but the bookies said-'

Odds are pretty much the most accurate stats there are though. Bookies know what they're doing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mickolution posted:

Odds are pretty much the most accurate stats there are though. Bookies know what they're doing.

Yes but what they're doing is making money, not actually accurately predicting the results of football.

When Sean Ingle says "man united have a two thirds chance to win the title" what he's actually doing is talking absolute bollocks.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Yes but what they're doing is making money, not actually accurately predicting the results of football.

When Sean Ingle says "man united have a two thirds chance to win the title" what he's actually doing is talking absolute bollocks.

Do you understand what odds are?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mickolution posted:

Do you understand what odds are?

Yes, but a bookie will balance the book. See; Englands constant stupidly low odds in every tournament ever, because just in case they actually do win the bookie doesn't want to be completely hosed.

The odds of a bookmaker and proper statistical predictions are not the same thing. Ingle goes with the former and it's irritating because it's literally all he does or says and offers nothing else.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yes, odds are adjusted to factor in the amount of money going on a bet, but by and large, the odds play out. For me, they're more valuable than most of the bullshit stats people insist on applying to football.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

I also really like the Men in Blazers podcast, which is part of the Grantland Network. Really funny and it's a good place to start if you're an American and trying to follow the Premier League.

I'll second this, I really like Men in Blazers.

James Richardson:Puns::Roger Bennett:Similes

Maybe it's a little Americanized, but I don't really get that feeling. Of course, I'm an American.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Really enjoyed James Richardson's Day Today reference on Thursday.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Sharing more love for Football Weekly and The Football Ramble. I regularly listen to the ESPNsoccernet podcast (feat. Dan Mason) and I have to admit I'm a fan of The Off the Ball Football Show, from NewsTalk Radio in Ireland. They seem to do a reasonable job with the EPL, Champions League, Europa League and assorted other happenings, with a bit of local content every now and then.

Locally (AU) I usually get the 442 & The World Game podcasts, although as our season comes to an end, so do they.

The next challenge will be to find some good podcasts for the MLS, K- & J-Leagues, and of course the upcoming Euro2012. Any recommendations?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Spangly A posted:

He's totally correct. There's three possible outcomes of the match on monday, two of them result in United winning the title. That's a two thirds chance!

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Shoutout to Beyond The Pitch podcast. http://www.beyondthepitch.net/

They put up a new episode most every day or other day, interviews tending to be between 30min and 1hr in length.

Recent guests (approximately the last week) include Gabriel Marcotti, Bobby McMahon, Sid Lowe, Warren Barton (recurring guest- "Primetime Football" [4/22]), Ray Hudson and Janusz Michallik.

Here is an example listing

quote:

Phil and Anto are joined by world-recognized Spanish football correspondent Sid Lowe directly post-match from Camp Nou in Barcelona after a massive 2-1 victory by Real Madrid essentially settled the title for Los Blancos on the heels of a tremendous Cristiano Ronaldo game winner. We examine many of the key talking points including the starting lineup by Pep Guardiola, which was something of a surprise, perhaps an approaching weariness amongst the Barcelona team itself and whether the fine margins in this El Clasico were the sum of past experiences for the Real Madrid of Jose Mourinho over the last two years. We get into the symbolism of the evening including what this victory will mean to Cristiano Ronaldo on a big worldwide stage, but also how the absence of David Villa really became an important factor indirectly in the sense that efficiency around goal has played a rapidly increasing problem for Barcelona largely borne from past deals involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Samuel Eto`o which have denied Barcelona a needed ruthlessness around goal. We also evaluate the evolution of Mesut Ozil and what it may mean for Kaka who was conspicuously never used either tonight or against Bayern Munich. Other topics reviewed include the Gerard Pique snub and how defensive frailties in key points became a problem this evening and how some decisions by the Spanish federation may signal more trouble ahead for those players who are selected for Euro 2012.

They also have regular episodes of "Manchester United Show," [4/23] "Inside MLS," [4/25]"Milan Insider" [3/18] and other club or league specific (e.g. Portuguese, Dutch, German leagues) content that in my opinion is usually worthwhile even for a neutral. A couple less common topics for which I've heard full length interviews include the Coerver Coaching methodology[1][2], and youth development in Japan [1][2]

Finally, I know this forum has a lot of Liverpool supporters, they may want to listen [4/2] a discussion about the club with "Gareth Roberts of Well Red Magazine and Late Tackle"

ragle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 28, 2012

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Nimmy posted:

I'll second this, I really like Men in Blazers.

James Richardson:Puns::Roger Bennett:Similes

Maybe it's a little Americanized, but I don't really get that feeling. Of course, I'm an American.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I can't stand this show and always have to clear it from my weekly Grantland pod feed. As far as I can tell the hosts are just some doughy expats who regurgitate standard tabloid generalities.

I'd be more tolerant of MIB I guess if Grantland didn't care much about football but the site's written content on the sport has gotten pretty good.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

The Mash posted:

He's totally correct. There's three possible outcomes of the match on monday, two of them result in United winning the title. That's a two thirds chance!

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

MoPZiG posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I can't stand this show and always have to clear it from my weekly Grantland pod feed. As far as I can tell the hosts are just some doughy expats who regurgitate standard tabloid generalities.

I'd be more tolerant of MIB I guess if Grantland didn't care much about football but the site's written content on the sport has gotten pretty good.

I like that they are open about who they cheer for, and I think they are pretty funny. They usually don't repeat fake tabloid stories to "inform", but rather to joke about them. And strange to me that you listen to the other Grantland pods, frankly the only one I like is Jalen Rose. And I don't care for the lazy writing on Grantland with very few exceptions.

Different tastes I guess.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

ek posted:

The next challenge will be to find some good podcasts for the MLS, K- & J-Leagues, and of course the upcoming Euro2012. Any recommendations?

A couple of my friends put together a K-League podcast, it is pure amateur though, so don't expect slick presentation.

http://www.outsideview.podbean.com/

Here is their blog, which has more contributors and is usually worth a read for some interesting tidbit.

http://outsideviewpodcast.wordpress.com/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ek posted:

Ben Mabley does the Football Japan Minutecast which is a short update every week. More substantial is the J Talk Pod by the dude from the FC Tokyo cast, Ben Maxwell. Usually he has a personality from the foreign community talking about the league. Often has the wonderful Sean Carrol on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Football Weekly will be at the Euros. Well, I presume they will be, that's how they got started all those years ago.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football Weekly is pretty hilariously bad tempered today. Even Jimbo gets tetchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
It's all Blur's fault.