Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

rotor posted:

its sort of the equivalent of riding lawnmowers slowly over a decade becoming the standard mode of transportation with all this carlike poo poo crudely welded onto the sides and now your actual car can't drive on the tiny little roads and every time someone raves about some great feature of their new mower like "hey did you hear? the new model John Deeres have these lamps that let you safely drive in the dark so you don't have to carry a flashlight with you! they're called 'headlights!!!" you look back on your audi or lexus or whatever and die a little inside

which particular things are you complaining about? like what browser plugin do you think should be a standalone app but isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Inverse Icarus posted:

which particular things are you complaining about? like what browser plugin do you think should be a standalone app but isn't?

i dont think its about plugins; it's about browsers slowly, slowly, sloooowly gaining desktop app capabilities (why the gently caress are localStorage/indexedDB/file API/all storage solutions still loving TERRIBLE)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

rotor posted:

its sort of the equivalent of riding lawnmowers slowly over a decade becoming the standard mode of transportation with all this carlike poo poo crudely welded onto the sides and now your actual car can't drive on the tiny little roads and every time someone raves about some great feature of their new mower like "hey did you hear? the new model John Deeres have these lamps that let you safely drive in the dark so you don't have to carry a flashlight with you! they're called 'headlights!!!" you look back on your audi or lexus or whatever and die a little inside

lol you sad old man. its more like how when cars were first invented farmers wanted to make people hide their cars in bushes whenever horses were going by. (you're the farmers)

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
:munch:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol you sad old man. its more like how when cars were first invented farmers wanted to make people hide their cars in bushes whenever horses were going by. (you're the farmers)

now i realize it. tbc is jeff atwood with a mean streak.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

z0ratio fartboner posted:

:munch:

rotor and tbc wrestling

cmon cmon

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I guess if you have to do front end stuff the web sucks but that's why you don't do that. Just work on the cool and fun backend things and if someone tries to get you to debug some JS you go separation of concerns, BITCH and then do a 360 and walk off

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Inverse Icarus posted:

it's not a matter of network vs. standalone, network apps were going to happen anyway, it's about people building inner platforms and thinking they're awesome for doing so

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I guess if you have to do front end stuff the web sucks but that's why you don't do that. Just work on the cool and fun backend things and if someone tries to get you to debug some JS you go separation of concerns, BITCH and then do a 360 and walk off

front-end dev stuff is fun as hell

the most rewarding part of development is making poo poo look good and easy to use. obviously i got mad respect for backend dudes who make the poo poo fundamentally work, but i love doing the top layer because i love working on what users see and what defines their user experience

:spergin:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Anal Tributary posted:

the most rewarding part of development is making a tight API that makes sense to any real code looks at it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Anal Tributary posted:

front-end dev stuff is fun as hell

the most rewarding part of development is making poo poo look good and easy to use. obviously i got mad respect for backend dudes who make the poo poo fundamentally work, but i love doing the top layer because i love working on what users see and what defines their user experience

This is def. true. I decided to move away from the front-end because you end up at a pressure point between designers, lazy back-end dev (which I now am), project managers, QA who always blames you first, and customers who think you're in charge of a lot of stuff. It's a lot of pressure from a lot of people with little freedom of movement.

Being a back-end dude is letting you a lot of leeway in what you do and nobody gets in your business trying to tell you what to do because they can barely see what's happening except 'does it work or not'. It's good fun.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tiny Bug Child posted:

like how

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i've actually been doing a bunch of work on a build tool for Ember.js apps and i actually found the most enjoyable part being writing docs, because that's when it goes from "a silly little thing i write code for" to "a tool that other people can use"

front-end dev works the same way

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Anal Tributary posted:

good because i'm not gay and don't like colors

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the login would look FAAAABULOOUS in a mauve

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
browsers are the de facto application platform because like it or not, yospos.

relying on users to install a thing? relying on users to update a thing? relying on users to configure a thing?

there is no need to have a compiled apps for 99.999999999% of regular person computer activity.

* rides lawnmower off into sunset *

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

passionate dongs posted:

relying on users to install a thing? relying on users to update a thing? relying on users to configure a thing?

there is no need to have a compiled apps for 99.999999999% of regular person computer activity.

it's true

Developing for HTML, CSS, and js means your poo poo works on every computer and every cell phone and every tablet today

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

BonzoESC posted:

it's true

Developing for HTML, CSS, and js means your poo poo works badly on 85% of computers and atrociously on 65% of cell phones and terribly on every tablet today

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

passionate dongs posted:

regular people only use CRUD applications

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
otoh who the heck wants to write shrinkwrap software

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Otto Skorzeny posted:

um

thats still a lot more than 0

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Anal Tributary posted:

i dont think its about plugins; it's about browsers slowly, slowly, sloooowly gaining desktop app capabilities (why the gently caress are localStorage/indexedDB/file API/all storage solutions still loving TERRIBLE)
cause its javascript and everything has to be asynchronous bullshit

Though to be honest, why even use those at all? All the best web apps have treated web apps as they should be treated: as thin clients that don't do anything more than manage the UI and call the server for everything else

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

passionate dongs posted:

these were all solved problems and your ignorance of history is sadly predictable.

what killed desktop applications was security issues. it departments didn't want to be bothered with all these open ports and all these people installing these filthy applications on it's precious virginal computers.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

rotor posted:

these were all solved problems and your ignorance of history is sadly predictable.

yeah i love how adobe and java handle updates!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

they were "solved" with lovely halfassed solutions. "gosh just <do arcane user-hostile procedure X>" is not really a solution when you can have the same thing by opening yr browser and going to a page

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Inverse Icarus posted:

yeah i love how adobe and java handle updates!

don't make me angry, switchboy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

they were "solved" with lovely halfassed solutions. "gosh just <do arcane user-hostile procedure X>" is not really a solution when you can have the same thing by opening yr browser and going to a page

lol ok tbc sure man, sure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

*pats you on the head*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

now run along & play you lil scamp

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

arcane user-hostile procedure

mods, needful

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

chrome is a desktop app that has solved all those issues

When was the last time you noticed an update in that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason that the language features from desktop apps cant be used in web apps. ex: replace javascript with byecode, replace html/css with xaml. you write whatever you want and it gets compiled to bytecode that gets sent to the client rather than the client downloading the source and compiling it in realtime which limits your language availability. then replace html + css w/ something like xaml and u've got dynamic UIs that are fed to the user over http. all the benefits of desktop apps, none of the shittyness of js/html/css.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

chrome is a desktop app that has solved all those issues

When was the last time you noticed an update in that

google had the experience from web apps to learn how to do it right!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Shaggar posted:

theres no reason that the language features from desktop apps cant be used in web apps. ex: replace javascript with byecode, replace html/css with xaml. you write whatever you want and it gets compiled to bytecode that gets sent to the client rather than the client downloading the source and compiling it in realtime which limits your language availability. then replace html + css w/ something like xaml and u've got dynamic UIs that are fed to the user over http. all the benefits of desktop apps, none of the shittyness of js/html/css.

this is the grossest post. ugh.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

cause its javascript and everything has to be asynchronous bullshit

actually localStorage is very much synchronous

but i did some web sql stuff late 2010 when web sql was still a thing and

urgh

dark days, back then. dark days. it was the first javascript project i'd ever done and i'd never dealt with asynchronous/callback-based code, and it was before i'd discovered jquery, and basically i needed to scrape a shitload of web pages and save them into websql. so there were two layers of callbacks, and me trying to figure out how the gently caress to manage them ("wait you mean i can't just use a for loop? oh NOOOOOOo")

quote:

Though to be honest, why even use those at all? All the best web apps have treated web apps as they should be treated: as thin clients that don't do anything more than manage the UI and call the server for everything else

nah, local storage solutions matter because they're going to bring web apps offline. which i guess pisses some people off, but whatever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

reminder that in the year 2012 people are literally excited about the following upcoming features of their development platform:

* opening a socket
* accelerated 3d rendering

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i like many things, web apps included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i just wish they werent poo poo