Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

rotor posted:

reminder that in the year 2012 people are literally excited about the following upcoming features of their development platform:

* opening a socket
* accelerated 3d rendering

but now i can use the Greatest Language of All Time, JavaScript, to write my quake source port!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

nightwheat stalker posted:

HTML5.....the future is now....

Hey

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

browsers as a platform are the reason you need a quad core with 4gb ram to run something that ran fine on a commodore 64

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

bring back mosaic

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Sweevo posted:

browsers as a platform are the reason you need a quad core with 4gb ram to run something that ran fine on a commodore 64

:qq:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

why can't i use modern technology on my lovely old hardware. why.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

rotor posted:

these were all solved problems and your ignorance of history is sadly predictable.

what killed desktop applications was security issues. it departments didn't want to be bothered with all these open ports and all these people installing these filthy applications on it's precious virginal computers.

being paid by the cj lobby I see

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why can't i use modern technology on my lovely old hardware. why.

because your modern technology is literally several orders of magnitude less efficient

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

because your modern technology is literally several orders of magnitude less efficient

sure. that's the cost of hyper-general-purpose computing. you could always use one of those efficient commodore 64s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

2 months ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in a browser that got like 5fps

10 years ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in svg that got like 5 fps

15 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids in java that got like 5 fps

20 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids written in pascal that got like 5fps

~*~progress~*~

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

sure. that's the cost of hyper-general-purpose computing. you could always use one of those efficient commodore 64s

that's true, quadcores are deffo more general purpose than pentiums

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

why am I talking to tiny bug child, my god

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
im often astounded by how fukken fast simple but data-heavy things like UITableViews work on something with as little processing power as an iphone

native code ftw

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
i think the ability to press a ok a bunch of times to file my taxes while taking a dump is progress

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why do you have to do your own taxes?

do you live in like africa or something?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

2 months ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in a browser that got like 5fps

10 years ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in svg that got like 5 fps

15 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids in java that got like 5 fps

20 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids written in pascal that got like 5fps

~*~progress~*~

2 months ago i used a really bad desktop application

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

rotor posted:

or it's because people don't do just one thing at a time anymore

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
what do you mean i can't even use an email app and play asteroids at the same time

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

don't make me angry, switchboy

he's completely right, you know. the update issue has been solved but none of the major applications bothered to use the solution.

windows developers, not network admins, ruined the desktop

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
seriously rotor, it's funny you bring up history because people have been whining about abstraction for decades and history has shown them to be the spergiest of the spergs

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

windows ruined the desktop

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

passionate dongs posted:

seriously rotor, it's funny you bring up history because people have been whining about abstraction for decades and history has shown them to be the spergiest of the spergs

not to mention computers started with thin clients and it was great and easier to manage

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
i can't wait for until we have a One World Computer maintained by amazon, designed by google, interfaced to by apple products and housed at the north pole.

knowing anything about the specifics how of a computer works will be the mark of a true blue collar poor.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Anal Tributary posted:

actually localStorage is very much synchronous
which is the only javascript client side storage that is synchronous

All the other storage options have synchronous standards but because javascript is poo poo implementing those standards isn't really feasible

Anal Tributary posted:

but i did some web sql stuff late 2010 when web sql was still a thing and

urgh

dark days, back then. dark days. it was the first javascript project i'd ever done and i'd never dealt with asynchronous/callback-based code, and it was before i'd discovered jquery, and basically i needed to scrape a shitload of web pages and save them into websql. so there were two layers of callbacks, and me trying to figure out how the gently caress to manage them ("wait you mean i can't just use a for loop? oh NOOOOOOo")
debugging it is even worse considering you lose most of the stack trace once you enter an asynchronous call

Anal Tributary posted:

nah, local storage solutions matter because they're going to bring web apps offline. which i guess pisses some people off, but whatever.
It should. You don't realize how unprepared javascript is for offline apps until you've tried to write one. Writing app code in javascript is loving horrendous, but creating an offline app is even worse

gently caress anyone who thinks web apps should support offline poo poo, if you want that then write a native app

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Evernote got that poo poo correct

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Inverse Icarus posted:

not to mention computers started with thin clients and it was great and easier to manage

you know what's even easier to manage? no computers at all!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

webos is clearly the framework of the future

ui in html5 + css + "enyo framework" (see also: jquery), logic in javascript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

he's completely right, you know. the update issue has been solved but none of the major applications bothered to use the solution.

windows developers, not network admins, ruined the desktop

its both, but yeah. if osx had been what it is now in 1998, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

and in a way, the desktop IS having great success, but only on iOS.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

its prototype + node.js actually

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

as the runaway success of webos has shown us,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HTML5 posted:

or it's because people don't do just one thing at a time anymore

yeah multitaksing wasn't invented until around 2000 or so, good point

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fidel sarcastro posted:

can we stop talking about webos please, I don't want to ruin my mascara

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

rotor posted:

yeah multitaksing wasn't invented until around 2000 or so, good point

windows 2000

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

~*~progress~*~

you know they're reimplementing http and html in javascript, json and web sockets. local storage instead of http caching too.

hooray!

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

its both, but yeah. if osx had been what it is now in 1998, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

and in a way, the desktop IS having great success, but only on iOS.

huh. i hadn't thought about it, but you're right. iOS is receiving way more native code than other platforms are

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

nah, windows didn't ruin it. i would say their worst crime was kowtowing to their retarded partners/devs who demanded so much bullshit. ms should have just told them no, but you dont make billions of dollars doing that so :shobon:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rotor posted:

its prototype + node.js actually

oh yeah i knew it was prototype but not node.js

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fidel sarcastro posted:

well it's really easy to program for and adapt internet garbage for so maybe if more than one device used it

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

my wife's company uses gmail for all their work mail (and for their clients too i guess) and she is really, really pissed off about the gmail change that they "just recently" forced everyone into

every few hours she just screams something like "WHY DO I HAVE TO HOVER TO GET TO MY LABELS?!!!?!?!" really loudly and scares the dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

well it's really easy to program for and adapt internet garbage for so maybe if more than one device used it

to this day I don't understand how webos got through two companies without landing on one decent piece of hardware

please don't cry rotor