Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

my wife's company uses gmail for all their work mail (and for their clients too i guess) and she is really, really pissed off about the gmail change that they "just recently" forced everyone into

every few hours she just screams something like "WHY DO I HAVE TO HOVER TO GET TO MY LABELS?!!!?!?!" really loudly and scares the dogs

gmail is a fine service with a hideous ui

mail.app or postbox and never deal with it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HTML5 posted:

or it's because people don't do just one thing at a time anymore
lol the overwhelming majority of windows users didn't know how to switch windows and now they don't know or care what tabs are, multitasking is and always will be a nerd feature

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ps sorry bout ruining your languages thread op

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

rotor posted:

reminder that in the year 2012 people are literally excited about the following upcoming features of their development platform:

* opening a socket
* accelerated 3d rendering

I don't think you can really call them "people"

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

my wife's company uses gmail for all their work mail (and for their clients too i guess) and she is really, really pissed off about the gmail change that they "just recently" forced everyone into

every few hours she just screams something like "WHY DO I HAVE TO HOVER TO GET TO MY LABELS?!!!?!?!" really loudly and scares the dogs

your wife sounds like a charming lady

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
here let me try to get back to the subject

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Inverse Icarus posted:

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

My Linux Rig posted:

It should. You don't realize how unprepared javascript is for offline apps until you've tried to write one. Writing app code in javascript is loving horrendous, but creating an offline app is even worse

gently caress anyone who thinks web apps should support offline poo poo, if you want that then write a native app

i'm writing a note-taking app in emberjs that is 100% offline at the moment; working pretty well

eventually gonna have sync to a server but that's as simple as swapping the localStorage adapter i'm using out with a REST adapter (or maybe using them in parallel)

it hasn't been that bad, really vOv

though every time i serialize JSON to a string for localStorage i die a little inside (my fault for being lazy and not wanting to do an indexedDB adapter)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ps: tell your wife to click+drag the little almost-invisible horizontal line below the labels

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Janin posted:

i wanted to put :ironicat: here, but :ironicat: is not enough. there is not sufficiently ironic emoticon. we must dig deeper. we must go further. we need better. man requires a sufficiently ironic emoticon for this event. we must find it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Janin posted:

holy poo poo

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

you will remember where you were on this day when janin uttered the dumbest of all possible sentences in the human tongue

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Janin posted:

LMAO nice one

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

you will remember where you were on this day when janin uttered the dumbest of all possible sentences in the human tongue

counterpoint: tiny bug childe

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Janin posted:

bronze this post

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

what the fuck is half a fucking figure?!?!

Janin posted:

someone post this in calligraphy and i will tattoo it on my arms

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Janin posted:

oh lol janin

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Janin posted:

you are insane

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if "engineers" had their way every computer application would literally be a labview project

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
yep

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

if "engineers" had their way every computer application would literally be a labview project

i see your point, but masking the features most common for people that make the most out of your application? it's like hiding the steering wheel in a racing game

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

womynizer posted:

i see your point, but masking the features most common for people that make the most out of your application? it's like hiding the steering wheel in a racing game
whoa what applications are you talking about

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

whoa what applications are you talking about

train sim 2012

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw i don't know what racing games you've been playing but most of them are not controlled by dragging a steering wheel around

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

btw i don't know what racing games you've been playing but most of them are not controlled by dragging a steering wheel around

train sim 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Janin posted:

ps: tell your wife to click+drag the little almost-invisible horizontal line below the labels

wife literally said "gently caress those google assholes, make them fix it"

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

wow you wife sounds awesome not joking at all (i am)

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
the only valid criticism of google is from True Nerds like me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Inverse Icarus posted:

mrs icarus is the true goon

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
apparently this conversation reminded her of the time they changed the ui on the analytics page and now she's yelling about that again

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
you should probably do something to pacify her

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
e: it's saturday

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

you should probably do something to pacify her

i promised to take her to house in the woord or whatever

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Inverse Icarus posted:

apparently this conversation reminded her of the time they changed the ui on the analytics page and now she's yelling about that again

buy her an account

e: give her your account

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Inverse Icarus posted:

she would be way back in line, with all of google engineering up in front.

half of us basically converted to thunderbird/mail.app overnight

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Rufo posted:

buy her an account

e: give her your account

she... has an account

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Janin posted:

since when are you a googler

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Inverse Icarus posted:

she... has an account

condolences

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Janin posted:

"thank you for the tip, i was able to move the thing. don't broke what ain't whatever."
- the wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

since when are you a googler
since over a year ago