Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
lmbo @ my new title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
public service announcement: how to make the new gmail less horrible

1. click the flower icon in the top right, click "compact"

2. click it again, click "themes", click "high contrast"

3. on this same page, find the "general" tab, click it, find "button labels", set to "text"

it still doesn't have any color, because the google designers are loving *allergic* to color unless it's bright obnoxious RED, but with these settings it's at least vaguely usable for reading email

also, you can click the iChat icon in the bottom left to turn off the "gmail chat" that nobody in the entire world uses or cares about

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
*sips pbr, adds more whitespace*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Inverse Icarus posted:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Inverse Icarus posted:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
turn off javascript, click 'use html mode as default' :krad:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

but how will i experience the wonder of the web2.0 without my javascript

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

tef posted:

turn off javascript, click 'use html mode as default' :krad:
but then the tab icon won't update when I get a new message :effort:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
just kidding use a mail client

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
one of our goals with the redesign is to make themes more powerful! *castrates themes*

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

john siracusa told me that there's an 'even more' menu accessible in gmail's 'more' menu

also richard o'keefe is literally the best reason to be an erlang programmer

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I'm so loving glad I have apple everything. Had no idea there was a new gmail interface until my wife started bitching (no she's not a goon)

Ps inverse Icarus you need to put out more your wife has major hysteria like I can tell all the way across the Internet

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

They changed something about something I'm used to. Curse you people!

People would literally complain about TV going widescreen just to say.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hey janin will you tell the guy who does gmail to go back to the old style theme thanks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

People would literally complain about TV going widescreen just to say.

nah it's objectively worse

i watched my (ostensibly good with computers) dad try to reply to a gmail for a full minute a few weeks ago before I helped him find the mystery meat icon for it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

the talent deficit posted:

I have a book by o'keefe, but it is about prolog :3:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Richard O'Keefe is objectively awesome. Guy owns at CS and PLs, wrote about Prolog, stick around Erlang, knows a billion programming languages, and has a PhD in underwater acoustics or something.

He also gave me my best/harshest criticism on LYSE:

quote:

I've taken a brief look at it. I'm currently somewhat feverish, so detailed comments are out until I'm better. On thing hit me in the face, however, "Learn You Some Erlang" is really horrible. Idiomatic English would not have "You" there. It just looks so unprofessional. Seeing that, you DON'T expect quality writing. (I don't say that the writing isn't quality writing, just that the title leads one not to expect it to be.) And "Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good" is almost unbearably twee. See that, and you THINK (surely mistakenly!) "this site is as flaky as mica". The other thing I notice on the home page is - a bearded squid - with only EIGHT tentacles instead of TEN (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_tentacles_does_the_squid_have)

Presumably you know your audience much better than I do, but I very nearly didn't look any further.

I wanted to put some of these comments on the back of the printed book.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

when people say 'good user interface is invisible', they don't mean 'click on whitespace and hope for the best', nor 'replace text with arbitrary icons'. them's bad things.

the gmail redesign is arguably a rebranding to bring it in line with the g+ aesthetic.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

when people say 'good user interface is invisible', they don't mean 'click on whitespace and hope for the best', nor 'replace text with arbitrary icons'. them's bad things.

the gmail redesign is arguably a rebranding to bring it in line with the g+ aesthetic.

Had to follow along with the TOS!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

Richard O'Keefe is objectively awesome. Guy owns at CS and PLs, wrote about Prolog, stick around Erlang, knows a billion programming languages, and has a PhD in underwater acoustics or something.

His prolog book is one of the best, "Hacking your program is no substitute for understanding your problem. Prolog is different, but not that different. Elegance is not optional."

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Sniep posted:

hey janin will you tell the guy who does gmail to go back to the old style theme thanks
yeah, they ignored months of complaints from ten thousand engineers, I'm sure one more will change their mind

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

His prolog book is one of the best, "Hacking your program is no substitute for understanding your problem. Prolog is different, but not that different. Elegance is not optional."

to paraphrase,

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

the talent deficit posted:

richard o'keefe, isnt that the guy that writes code that looks like vaginas?

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

->({});

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Ps inverse Icarus you need to put out more your wife has major hysteria like I can tell all the way across the Internet

by giving her my ki i am giving her power

i must maintain my power

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TiMBuS posted:

->({});

8======D {} (;

me and i2's wife

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

8======D {} (;

me and i2's wife

sideways vagina???

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Janin posted:

she would be way back in line, with all of google engineering up in front.

half of us basically converted to thunderbird/mail.app overnight

thunderbird is just so bad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

another entry in the looooong list of "mail programs worse than sparrow"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm actually liking thunderbird so far. The conversation add-ons and mail folding options make it okay, although it just eats so much memory.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

my stepdads beer posted:

postbox ftw

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mail.ahahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thunderbird seems fine unless it got a bunch worse in the last 2 or 3 years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you need a desktop mail client use microsoft windows live mail 2011 sp1

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rotor posted:

thunderbird seems fine unless it got a bunch worse in the last 2 or 3 years

it actually got better

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
Mail.app was good enough for Steve, it's good enough for me.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nothing was good enough for steve

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

rotor posted:

2 months ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in a browser that got like 5fps

10 years ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in svg that got like 5 fps

15 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids in java that got like 5 fps

20 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids written in pascal that got like 5fps

~*~progress~*~

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i use mac mail and nothing on my windows desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i tried sparrow but it cant cope with threads with more than like 200 emails without either fragmenting them or locking up