Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
it's also cool how "progress" is apparently people throwing up their hands and saying "threads are hard!" and using a loving javascript webserver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pyf monad for automatically inserting nextTick calls in a CPU-bound calculation

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it is perhaps short-sighted to blame windows specifically because windows was a product of the microcomputer hobbyist culture which itself rejected large-scale computing, the real problem is systems becoming so complex and legacy-bound that they are no longer hackable

this of course implies that eventually we'll see a movement to create inner platforms within the web/mobile platforms :smith:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 29, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i'm pretty uncool, i write in C and its derivatives. it's what Doom was written in, so it's what i learned

php comes and goes, ruby on rails comes and goes, i keep writing C

*smokes pipe*

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

ahhh spiders posted:

it's also cool how "progress" is apparently people throwing up their hands and saying "threads are hard!" and using a loving javascript webserver

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ahhh spiders posted:

people throwing up their hands and saying "threads are hard!"

but threads are hard :confused:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

cooperative timeslicing isn't any more fun, or is there anyone left who still remembers developing win16?

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 29, 2012

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

actually co-op threads are rad as heck and provide basically all of the benefits of preemp threads and none of the fuckery

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

unless the thing you are waiting for seriously refuses to not block. in which case i guess they suck

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TiMBuS posted:

unless the thing you are waiting for seriously refuses to not block. in which case i guess they suck
it sucks for basically any long-running algorithm, you end up adding yield calls and/or throwing yourself continuation events where it seems appropriate which is dual to adding locks in a preemptive system. web workers solve this but if they have been adopted in nodejs i havent heard about it

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 29, 2012

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

yea co-op threads suck for long algos. i have a gui program that draws a graph and stutters if i dont use a pre-emptive thread, but poo poo i wish there was a solution that wasn't threads (this is on windows so i cant fork+pipe either argh)

dunno about node.js stuff i dont use it and hopefully never will

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
linuxgangster.com redirects to a site about boa constrictors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

linuxgangster.com redirects to a site about boa constrictors

Hi everyone. Just testing this out. (so excited) lol. Anyways, what possible combinations can I get out of an anery het albino het salmon if bred with my albino boa? Neither are ready to breed just yet. But a friend of my from Fresno is selling a few Anery babies that had an albino dad and a salmon mother that was het Anery. Just wondering if I would need my male albino to be het Anery to produce snows or if he would have to be het hypo to get some sunglow. Any help would be appreciated.
By the way my male albino red tail is only 10 months old and the Andries are all about 2 months old so they won't be ready till another year and a half for my male and about 3 years for the female Anery.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
wish you would get boa constricted

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

tef posted:

no they're not. use a better language (like haskell)

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
use perl 6

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

echinopsis posted:

linuxgangster.com

suck a nigga's dick, spread he code around, cast aside these patent laws of lesser men

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ppp posted:

use perl 6

use python 3

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

use python 3

no dont

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

what the fuck is half a fucking figure?!?!

barbarianbob posted:

richard o'keefe, isnt that the guy that writes code that looks like vaginas?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'll be honest if python's standard library wasn't such a loving disorganised mess I'd probably use python more

yes let's mix every identifier capitalisation style ever. also let's have "pickle" and "cpickle" and the only difference between the two is that the second has a faster(?) underlying implementation. ok chief.

also the GIL is frankly shameful.

basically what i'm saying is that i'm a mong

Teddy meowsevelt
Nov 25, 2011

what the fuck is half a fucking figure?!?!

Mr Dog posted:

yes let's mix every identifier capitalisation style ever. also let's have "pickle" and "cpickle" and the only difference between the two is that the second has a faster(?) underlying implementation. ok chief.

sounds like php

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Janin posted:

no they're not. use a better language (like haskell)

now you have uncountably many problems

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

now you have uncountably many problems
seriously if you're not writing a tutorial about monads using strained analogies to real-world things there's no reason to use Haskell

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

RZApublican posted:

suck a nigga's dick, spread he code around, cast aside these patent laws of lesser men

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
well haskell is pretty neat for a lot of things, and the problems with getting it to work with real systems aren't as pronounced as some folks make them out to be. at the same time, haskell isn't a panacea for parallelism generally or multithreaded parallelism* in particular, even thought it has some tools that help with certain types of problems (eg. `par` is cool but once you get beyond certain embarassing cases you need other tools because the substantial complexity of your task is the real problem rather than accidental complexity)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
did i mention that i want a clojure that isn't tied to the jvm/clr. like park that son of a gun on top of sbcl or whatever

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

it's loving stupid to think this sorry. bye

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TiMBuS posted:

yea co-op threads suck for long algos. i have a gui program that draws a graph and stutters if i dont use a pre-emptive thread, but poo poo i wish there was a solution that wasn't threads (this is on windows so i cant fork+pipe either argh)

dunno about node.js stuff i dont use it and hopefully never will

why don't you use threads

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

BonzoESC posted:

seriously if you're not writing a tutorial about monads using strained analogies to real-world things there's no reason to use Haskell
haskell is awesome if you want to write high-performance (lol, erlang) servers that don't crash, or if you want to have a nicer interface to some gnarly old C/C++/Python/Lua/etc library, or you are working on an extremely constrained environment and want to write a program with guaranteed-fixed memory allocation and cpu time, or or or or ...

basically, it's the best language ever for anything that isn't windows GUI programming

Otto Skorzeny posted:

well haskell is pretty neat for a lot of things, and the problems with getting it to work with real systems aren't as pronounced as some folks make them out to be. at the same time, haskell isn't a panacea for parallelism generally or multithreaded parallelism* in particular, even thought it has some tools that help with certain types of problems (eg. `par` is cool but once you get beyond certain embarassing cases you need other tools because the substantial complexity of your task is the real problem rather than accidental complexity)
the nice thing with haskell w.r.t. threads is that you can use its type system to enforce lots of different constraints on stuff like shared memory access or locking that would otherwise require hundreds of pages of documentation and "IMPORTANT: DONT CALL THESE PROCEDURES IN THE SAME THREAD AS ..." warnings.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

haskell is awesome if you want to write high-performance (lol, erlang) servers that don't crash, or if you want to have a nicer interface to some gnarly old C/C++/Python/Lua/etc library, or you are working on an extremely constrained environment and want to write a program with guaranteed-fixed memory allocation and cpu time, or or or or ...

basically, it's the best language ever for anything that isn't windows GUI programming

the nice thing with haskell w.r.t. threads is that you can use its type system to enforce lots of different constraints on stuff like shared memory access or locking that would otherwise require hundreds of pages of documentation and "IMPORTANT: DONT CALL THESE PROCEDURES IN THE SAME THREAD AS ..." warnings.

nah it sucks. cheers

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

haskell owns owns owns

the only two languages that need to exist are haskell and c

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
haskell is stupid and no one uses it, thank god

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

man just look how wrong you are

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Mr Dog posted:

i'll be honest if python's standard library wasn't such a loving disorganised mess I'd probably use python more

also the GIL is frankly shameful.

basically what i'm saying is that i'm a mong

the GIL isn't part of the standard library, it's an implementation detail of c-python. python 3 also does a lot to clean up the std lib, which is a good thing.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ahhh spiders posted:

it's loving stupid to think this sorry. bye

yeah was about to say that too

how the gently caress are threads that hard

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Janin posted:

haskell owns owns owns

the only two languages that need to exist are haskell and c

haskell more like hasmell

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i skipped the lat few pages. are all programming languages, methodologies, and development environments still unmitigated pieces of poo poo?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Deuterieux posted:

i skipped the lat few pages. are all programming languages, methodologies, and development environments still unmitigated pieces of poo poo?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Deuterieux posted:

yep, some just have a different kind of lovely smell to them