Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
you know how when u take a dump it's like "yeah that smells like poo poo, but it's my poo poo"

but when anyone else takes a dump it's "eww wtf is that lovely smell"

that's how programmers argue about languages, methodologies, and environments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Deuterieux posted:

i skipped the lat few pages. are all programming languages, methodologies, and development environments still unmitigated pieces of poo poo?

much
your
POSTING

i barely GNU her! posted:

"yeah that smells like poo poo, but it's my poo poo"
don't sign your posts

jonpv
Apr 19, 2007

Simply unbannable!
everyone who doesn't write their programs by physically soldering together big old NAND gates and D type flip flops that they keep in a bucket in the corner needs to get out and learn to code in a real physical giant loving physical programming language

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

i barely GNU her! posted:

you know how when u take a dump it's like "yeah that smells like poo poo, but it's my poo poo"

but when anyone else takes a dump it's "eww wtf is that lovely smell"

that's how programmers argue about languages, methodologies, and environments
the worst is when youre in a stall thinking "phewee thats a smelly one" and then you realise you might as well be smelling the dude next door

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its weird when you take a poo poo
forget about it
walk back in a minute later
are grossed out by the smell
then realise it's yours

conflicted is a word that springs to mind

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

echinopsis posted:

its weird when you take a poo poo
forget about it
walk back in a minute later

what

what

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

if its yellow let it mellow
if its brown let it sit around

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
not flushing the toilet when you take a piss because you want to pretend you're a conservationist and are protecting the environment is the most moronic liberal guilt bullshit i've ever heard of

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahhh spiders posted:

not flushing the toilet when you take a piss because you want to pretend you're a conservationist and are protecting the environment is the most moronic liberal guilt bullshit i've ever heard of
in rural places with self-contained septic systems it's not a liberal guilt thing but a legit practical thing to do so you don't have to call the honey wagon as often

but lol@ rurals live in a city morans

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

BonzoESC posted:

in rural places with self-contained septic systems it's not a liberal guilt thing but a legit practical thing to do so you don't have to call the honey wagon as often

but lol@ rurals live in a city morans

if that were the case why wouldn't you have a dual-flush toilet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahhh spiders posted:

if that were the case why wouldn't you have a dual-flush toilet
'cause you installed the toilet in the '70s

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
erlang and haskell are cool cause you can spray poo poo across all your rooms simultaneously and are notified when you miss a spot, without the global poo poo smearing taking a poo poo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tinselt0wn posted:

erlang and haskell are cool cause you can spray poo poo across all your rooms simultaneously and are notified when you miss a spot, without the global poo poo smearing taking a poo poo

Haha, yeah, but how about explaining it without using an analogy that involves your posting?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i only do verilog and sometimes perl or ruby, and systemverilog which is to verilog as objective c is to c, well that's my post

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

ahhh spiders posted:

Haha, yeah, but how about explaining it without using an analogy that involves your posting?
you mean one that doesn't involve his posting

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

poo poo I read that wrong

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my posting is single threaded for yospos

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Janin posted:

haskell is awesome if you want to write high-performance (lol, erlang) servers that don't crash, or if you want to have a nicer interface to some gnarly old C/C++/Python/Lua/etc library, or you are working on an extremely constrained environment and want to write a program with guaranteed-fixed memory allocation and cpu time, or or or or ...

basically, it's the best language ever for anything that isn't windows GUI programming

the nice thing with haskell w.r.t. threads is that you can use its type system to enforce lots of different constraints on stuff like shared memory access or locking that would otherwise require hundreds of pages of documentation and "IMPORTANT: DONT CALL THESE PROCEDURES IN THE SAME THREAD AS ..." warnings.

seryospost, for a lot of task Haskell appears to become thunk heaven, and it gets very hard to get good performance and/or good profiling out of it because it's pretyt hard to get profiling working at all without messing up with the lazy semantics of the language.

When you get some performance problems (usually related to memory), the act of trying to profile the code or ad debugging info is often enough to solve the problem, but then you don't want to ship code that's running in debug mode and welp Haskell gets really lovely hard to make work well for certain classes of serious things.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lmao if your program isn't simply a collection of smaller single-purpose programs that talk to each other using character streams that can have their parallelism managed by the os

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

lmao if your program isn't simply a collection of smaller single-purpose programs that talk to each other using character streams that can have their parallelism managed by the os

my system doesn't have an os :(

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

then use windows instead of linuxes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

i mostly agree but serializing data to a byte stream for IPC is a dumb, shared memory passing ftw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Otto Skorzeny posted:

:wth:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you got no os idunno just write some bytes or some poo poo I ain't give a gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nigga so poor he ain't even got an os, drat, it hard for a po white man to get ahead in obamas america

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

haskell is old news the only reason anyone says anything good about it is that we don't have a new hotness yet. for free i will share what the Next Big Thing will look like: language support for bloom filters, tries, and sharding. maybe some other things that you can do perfectly well with one or at most two arrays. it will not support arrays.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

MononcQc posted:

seryospost, for a lot of task Haskell appears to become thunk heaven, and it gets very hard to get good performance and/or good profiling out of it because it's pretyt hard to get profiling working at all without messing up with the lazy semantics of the language.

When you get some performance problems (usually related to memory), the act of trying to profile the code or ad debugging info is often enough to solve the problem, but then you don't want to ship code that's running in debug mode and welp Haskell gets really lovely hard to make work well for certain classes of serious things.
this is easily solved by spending more than like twenty minutes learning the language

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Janin posted:

this is easily solved by spending more than like twenty minutes learning the language

pffff. pass.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i think janin is trying to troll but its p difficult to separate his real wrongposts from the fake ones

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Janin posted:

worse is better, you will never sell a language that depends on a graduate CS education to get started vs. one in which you can write "og say print stuff to screen"

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Gazpacho posted:

worse is better, you will never sell a language that depends on a graduate CS education to get started vs. one in which you can write "og say print stuff to screen"

code:
main = do
    putStrLn "uggh how og print"
    putStrLn "og confused without semicolons, og smash"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

main = do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean honestly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Janin posted:

code:
main = do
    putStrLn "uggh how og print"
    putStrLn "og confused without semicolons, og smash"
sweet now try doing it inside an arbitrary function OH SNAP

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

main = doo-doo imo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

maine = doo-doo imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

main = pee
main = pee
main = do
main = do

putStrLn "it is a bad language"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

main = pee
main = pee
main = do
main = do

putStrLn "it is a bad language"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

haskell is old news the only reason anyone says anything good about it is that we don't have a new hotness yet. for free i will share what the Next Big Thing will look like: language support for bloom filters, tries, and sharding. maybe some other things that you can do perfectly well with one or at most two arrays. it will not support arrays.

another event-based single-threaded network server. this time it uses blitzbasic