Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I once saw a Cadillac Escalade EXT with a bed full of all sorts of construction poo poo and dents and dings all over the body and it was also covered in mud. I gave that driver two thumbs up.

But yeah, how are those guys getting the pack early such that they can create liveries for the Transit? Is that a VIP thing or something?

Turn-10 is giving away the packs via the official forums, Facebook, and Twitter. But i'm still surprised at how quickly people are making liveries. They must get started by using another car, a few days in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Extreme Van Racing would be an awesome game. More vans, please.

Also, in the US, using a van like a regular car is like the ultimate in white trash behavior. Even the white compact pickup truck drivers will look down on you.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I just won a May DLC code on the Forza forums! :O So much for going to sleep.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 30, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Jarf posted:

I just won a May DLC code on the Forza forums! :O So much for going to sleep.

I propose a kart racing series! (karts with roofs)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

YF19pilot posted:

No, it's a new van. It's just the Ford Econoline litterally has not changed since 1985, so it's hard to tell just how old it is from the outside.

As an auto tech, I can tell you they've changed. Before '08, you used to be able to reach under the hood. Since then, the hood has just been a glorified mail slot. Narrow, vertical, and a good place to get your arms stuck.

YF19pilot posted:

Needs to be the turbo version. There's at least two or three out there in the world that have the engine worked on to be a total sleeper. And one with a Chevy Small Block.

I do know of one with a midengined Mopar 440, can't find the Youtube of it right now. Unfortunately, mine was just a nonturbo 2.2L, at least it was a manual trans.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Falken posted:

I propose a kart racing series! (karts with roofs)

Heck yes!

This pack is pretty baller.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/dD26j.jpg][/tIMG]

Tuning up a C class Lotus Cortina as well.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TPSXA.jpg][/tIMG]

Jarf fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 30, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Aaaaarg broke my fanatec CSR shifter in the middle of a race. Has this happened to anyone else's?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 30, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No, but that scares me. What exactly were you doing? I've always been worried about it while trying to put it in gear. I wish there wasn't a spring that forced it to the middle, it always feels like I'm loving something up inside while trying to get into 5th and 6th.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

No, but that scares me. What exactly were you doing? I've always been worried about it while trying to put it in gear. I wish there wasn't a spring that forced it to the middle, it always feels like I'm loving something up inside while trying to get into 5th and 6th.

Downshifting from 4th to 3rd. I guess I was doing it too hard, but I wasn't doing it any harder than I normally do. I've only had the thing for a month. I had it mounted to an aftermarket playseat mounting bracket so it was in the proper shifting position rather than using the flimsy chopsticks hanging out of the side of the wheel. Maybe the fact that it was so sturdily mounted gave me a false sense of security about the force it could withstand.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jarf posted:

Heck yes!

This pack is pretty baller.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/dD26j.jpg][/tIMG]

Tuning up a C class Lotus Cortina as well.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TPSXA.jpg][/tIMG]

I need GVR-4 pics. Stat!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So for those of you who got the pack early, I have to ask: What are the silly / awesome aero options this time? the Raptor got a full Baja kit, the Alfa GTV-6 got crazy rear end hoods, the 2012 Charger got a pushbar... What's this month's comedy option?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Aaaaarg broke my fanatec CSR shifter in the middle of a race. Has this happened to anyone else's?

drat son.

The plastic part that you broke is removable and replaceable. contact Fanatec. Strangely, the inside of the CSR 6 Pattern shifter does not have any springs at all, just pots and a ball bearing affair. Apparently if you sand down some of the raised portions it makes it less aggressive. The one that always worries me is switching to reverse gear. Too far over. I usually just switch to reverse using the paddle shifters to save me breaking the thing.

e: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/1/3345497/ShowThread.aspx Way to possibly make it more durable.

Fanatec better hurry the gently caress up with their Clubsport version. The only other option is to be a Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter and then buy a £60 adapter. I'd do this, but shifters with the metal gate plates are a pain to shift. Shifting diagonally from 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th and back is not possible, so you have to kind of go "up right up" for 2nd to 3rd etc.

e: Wish I saved the replay for the B500 race we had at Laguna Seca. Bentron and I went 2 wide in the Corkscrew in a Dodge Challenger (1970) and a 69 Camaro.

Falken fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 30, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I emailed fanatec support about it yesterday and just got a response saying they are sending a replacement. Excellent!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I've toughened up my sequential shifter with some filing down parts, washers to add spring tension and lego bricks to add rigidity. Time to test it! If it breaks, well... I have a plan for that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How how hard can you upgrade that Smart car? Because I've been dreaming of upgrading the hell out of that thing just to see it frisbee into the sky off random hills and corners.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flint Ironstag posted:

As an auto tech, I can tell you they've changed. Before '08, you used to be able to reach under the hood. Since then, the hood has just been a glorified mail slot. Narrow, vertical, and a good place to get your arms stuck.

That seems odd, since the '08 facelift actually gave it a longer hood, but I guess it is also a bit taller and could make it interesting to get under there. Frankly the '96 with a 460 I used to work on was hard enough, especially being a RV where aftermarket interior trim made me hope I never had to pull the doghouse, I can't imagine how bad it is with the OHC motors (might be why the Econoline never got the 3V motors).

Other than that though, the Econoline is just like the Ranger and Crown Vic in that the ones sold now (or last year in the case of the other two) are practically identical to those sold in the '90s and most differences are entirely to meet changing legal standards over that time. Ford had a set of popular fleet vehicles, and fleets don't like change, so they sat on their asses until it was far too late and they ended up having to kill them all because updating them to both compete and stay legal was too expensive.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 30, 2012

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

GreatGreen posted:

How how hard can you upgrade that Smart car? Because I've been dreaming of upgrading the hell out of that thing just to see it frisbee into the sky off random hills and corners.

A500+ if I can recall correctly. It has about 200+ HP and weights about 1,500lbs.

Surprisingly stable considering its shape and tiny wheelbase.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I need GVR-4 pics. Stat!

Sure, this one has the street aero on.

[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/sapGJ.jpg][/tIMG]
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TS2Eb.jpg][/tIMG]

Jarf fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 30, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Falken posted:

"By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th."

Despite being a legendary racecar driver and a philanthropist, Senna is regarded today by the people who actually raced with him as being a massive rear end in a top hat.

1. To finish first, first finish

1. It is the responsibility of the passing driver to pass, not the leading driver to get out of the way.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Despite being a legendary racecar driver and a philanthropist, Senna is regarded today by the people who actually raced with him as being a massive rear end in a top hat.

1. To finish first, first finish

1. It is the responsibility of the passing driver to pass, not the leading driver to get out of the way.
Oh yeah, totally. If you were to drive with Senna's mentality, you'd either be kicked out of alot of lobbies or crashing out plenty.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

GutBomb posted:

That's kind of disappointing that it can snap off like that, I've been wanting a shifter to go with my wheel but I've stayed away so far because they all seemed kind of cheap and not carlike. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd actually pay whatever it would cost to get one that feels like an actual stick shift and doesn't break so I'll probably just use paddles forever.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Soccer in smart cars.

:neckbeard:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Flint Ironstag posted:

Nooo don't tell me that! I recently got rid of my '97 E150, and had dreams of getting a newer one with more room to work on it. Of course, hearing wolrah's news that they're not going to make any more Econolines is far worse news. :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Speaking about the Fanatec CSR shifter, I recommend the credit card / silent mod. The gears obviously don't snap into place nearly as much as they used to - more like an old gearbox in a 200k miles 80s BMW - but I find that highly preferable to the decidedly plastic-toy clicking from before.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
My favorite thing is when someone has their mic up too loud and you can hear the click-clack of them shifting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GOD IS BED posted:

Of course, hearing wolrah's news that they're not going to make any more Econolines is far worse news. :(

The big Transit is coming over starting next year, apparently under the branding "T-Series" (i.e. T-150, T-250, etc). The GM twins then will be the only "traditional" full-size vans still in production. Apparently the E-Series chassis-cabs will still be produced as a base for RVs and commercial trucks, but the fact that Ford's trademarked up to T-550 indicates they see the Transit chassis eventually covering the entire van market. All we know for sure about the new one is it'll be on the RWD Transit chassis (Euro models are offered in both FWD and RWD), the 3.5L Ecoboost will be one of the engine options, and there will also be some sort of diesel.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 30, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

I'm ok with that, but personal ownership of pickups I am against.

While I agree that many people drive pickup trucks when they really aren't needed, many areas of North america exist where a pickup truck is almost required, either because moving stuff around such as camping/atv type recreational equipment basically requires a pickup, or because there are very few vehicles that aren't pickup trucks made today that are rugged enough to stand up to commuting conditions in places like Northern Alberta where I am.

Right now is "Spring Breakup", where the roads are literally falling apart, and a major portion of the population don't necessarily need to haul stuff every day, but they need to get to the job site such as a well location or gas line location, which simply can't be done with an AWD Subaru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkLAM8Khxc

That is a typical office parking lot where I live hahaha :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trucks should still be regulated though. In major cities, I'm constantly encountering assclowns in a crew cab dualie belching out god knows how much pollution being produced by some 50 liter diesel monster of an engine.

And there isn't so much as a ding anywhere on the paint. Not even a smudge of dirt. Instead, they slapped a picture of Calvin in the rear window pissing on something the owner doesn't like, added a bed cover, and maybe threw in a body lift for giggles.

If you need inefficient vehicle to live your life, that's one thing. Any other purpose is just being an rear end in a top hat. You could easily put three of my daily driver on the road for the amount of fuel a single full size truck uses. :colbert:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
But xzzy. You are missing the point. If their truck is big, then everyone knows that they MUST have a huge schwantz. Especially when those pussies in their Mazda Miata/Honda Civic can't see around their oversized rear end at an intersection and nearly die trying to pull out.

Also, you can't haul things with a dually pickup. You might scratch the paint.

(That being said my stepdad owns one of these, and they are great. Of course, he hauls a 5th wheel trailer to the race track as part of our convoy of random car haulers[Ambulance, 1953 La France foamite ladder truck.] so it actually has a point.)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^^^ My truck is 84 feet long with a 15 Litre motor. I have the smallest Micropenis of all.

xzzy posted:

Trucks should still be regulated though. In major cities, I'm constantly encountering assclowns in a crew cab dualie belching out god knows how much pollution being produced by some 50 liter diesel monster of an engine.

And there isn't so much as a ding anywhere on the paint. Not even a smudge of dirt. Instead, they slapped a picture of Calvin in the rear window pissing on something the owner doesn't like, added a bed cover, and maybe threw in a body lift for giggles.

If you need inefficient vehicle to live your life, that's one thing. Any other purpose is just being an rear end in a top hat. You could easily put three of my daily driver on the road for the amount of fuel a single full size truck uses. :colbert:

They are regulated. Insurance, Gas guzzler tax, emissions restrictions, Carbon tax on the fuel etc etc. Did you know that the emissions restrictions force the engines to use double the fuel as older models ? A modern Ford 6.6 Pwerstroke or new cummins gets horrible economy versus a 90's 12v cummins or an old Ford/International 7 litre. If anything, blame the tree huggers for poor fuel economy. 90's era diesel trucks could get 30mpg on the highway.

I agree that big trucks are a waste and stupid for 99% of the population. What really gets me is when these guys call their lifted pickup a "Rig" and leave it running in parking lots for hours a day, because "diesels need to idle, and my rig likes to run hot". Stop calling your loving pickup truck a rig, and stop calling your god drat computer a rig.

Your "Rig" couldn't even tow a single engine of a real rig.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 30, 2012

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

xzzy posted:

"Regulating Pickup Trucks" is the least American combination of words ever combined. I saw some guy backing into a busy street right near the intersection, from a blind driveway in a practically awe-inspiring Suburban that Tyrion Lannister could probably jump-rope under. He can't see; he doesn't need to see. He almost crunched a Saturn SL1, but I didn't care because I was singing the Star-Spangled banner so goddamn LOUD.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jonathan posted:

While I agree that many people drive pickup trucks when they really aren't needed, many areas of North america exist where a pickup truck is almost required, either because moving stuff around such as camping/atv type recreational equipment basically requires a pickup, or because there are very few vehicles that aren't pickup trucks made today that are rugged enough to stand up to commuting conditions in places like Northern Alberta where I am.

Right now is "Spring Breakup", where the roads are literally falling apart, and a major portion of the population don't necessarily need to haul stuff every day, but they need to get to the job site such as a well location or gas line location, which simply can't be done with an AWD Subaru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkLAM8Khxc

That is a typical office parking lot where I live hahaha :(

If I can survive Northeastern winters in an RX7, and before that a 300zx, then nobody needs a loving pickup for weather or road conditions :colbert:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cannot Find Server posted:

If I can survive Northeastern winters in an RX7, and before that a 300zx, then nobody needs a loving pickup for weather or road conditions :colbert:

A 13B rotary has enough trouble in normal weather. I don't know what it would do at -40 degrees. Working on the oil patch requires 4wd and all terrain tires minimum. A sportscar would be impractical until summer unless you work at walmart or somewhere that keeps their parking lots clear.

How is the Jeep Wrangler in the new car pack ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jonathan posted:

A 13B rotary has enough trouble in normal weather. I don't know what it would do at -40 degrees. Working on the oil patch requires 4wd and all terrain tires minimum. A sportscar would be impractical until summer unless you work at walmart or somewhere that keeps their parking lots clear.

Well then I guess it's good that I have a 12a! :toot:

But really, sure, 4wd vehicles are acceptable for places where there is no road and poo poo, but people buying them because of stuff like snow? Learn to loving drive, christ. All 4WD/AWD does in the snow is make people think they can go faster and they end up crashing instead. I drove my RX7 home in an ice storm this past winter and had no issues at all; I had half a mind to roll my window down and point and laugh at all the chucklefucks with their pickups and SUVs who were off the road while I happily cruised home in my lightweight RWD sports car, up hills and everything.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, a decent set of tires and some experience will work wonders in most urban snow storms. An RX7 has nowhere near the capabilities of a 4wd vehicle with well suited tires though. You're comparing good driving to poor driving, not vehicles.

I'm going to start specing out a racing league and trying to figure out some handicaps.

Is anyone interested in a Nascar vs Australian V8 Supercar race ? I don't have the time to run a series but I think a set of handicaps could be created to get both cars at a competitive level.

Opinions ? My other thought it just to create a V8 Supercars league like we used to run in forza 2, Open to any rwd Saloon car with a hp and weight restriction similar to the real cars.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Asking why people drive pickups or SUVs when they don't really use it for its intended purpose is no better than the people who ask why someone else owns a fast car when it's rarely or never used in a place where it can achieve even a fraction of its potential.

People drive what they like, and that's a good thing in my opinion... Though I still reserve the right to point and laugh at the soccer mom in the Yukon Denali, and the dudes who sit in their driveways all day just polishing their trailer queens.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just put some chains on a Miata. You will be fine.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Trucks and 4x4s always look so much better with big fat offroad tires, lifted suspension, removed front and rear fenders/bumpers, snorkel, winch etc.

Oh, and half it's weight in mud smeared all over it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Cannot Find Server posted:

When I had an RX-8, that thing was like some sort of living nightmare in the snow. Then I drove a friend's 350Z, and it had the best traction; I could drive that thing anywhere. drat all-season tires.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Symphoric posted:

Asking why people drive pickups or SUVs when they don't really use it for its intended purpose is no better than the people who ask why someone else owns a fast car when it's rarely or never used in a place where it can achieve even a fraction of its potential.

People drive what they like, and that's a good thing in my opinion... Though I still reserve the right to point and laugh at the soccer mom in the Yukon Denali, and the dudes who sit in their driveways all day just polishing their trailer queens.

I'm not really bothered by people who want the body style or overkill towing capacity or whatever, things would be fine if they would just shrink them down by a few decades so my view of the road wasn't totally obstructed by unnecessarily tall and cubic monstrosities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so here is a preliminary race series idea:

You can choose one of 2 classes:

V8 Supercar or Nascar

V8 Supercar Rules:

-Can use pre-made V8 Supercar or Any 4 Door "Saloon" Chassis
-RWD only (Drivetrain swaps allowed)
-Engine swaps allowed, use a V8 engine if possible

Nascar Rules:

-Can use Pre-made Nascar or any car chassis used as a Nascar (including classics)
-RWD Only (Drivetrain swaps allowed)
-Engine Swaps Allowed, use V8 if possible

Series rules:

-Minimum Weight 2900 pounds
-Maximum Horsepower 825
-Max PI (R3) 730
-Race Tires Required
-Race Liveries Required, either DIY or Store Bought
-All cars require front and rear aero if available

Race type:

-A race event will consist of 2 races. Race 1 on an Oval course, and Race 2 on a Road course. The points leader after race 2 will determine the winner. A racer may not change cars between races, or car upgrades (parts changes). However, Tuning changes are allowed.

AIDS:

-TCS/ABS are optional.
-Steering will be restricted to Simulation type
-Racing line will be braking only or none at all (input required)
-Simulation Damage
-Tire wear and fuel usage ideas required.

Ideas:

The 2 races could be combined into a single longer race on occasion on tracks that have an oval and a road course, such as Sunset Peninsula, Indianapolis, Sedona.

For track choices, Full tracks should be required, as some short course versions lack a pit. Also, reverse courses should be discouraged. I am undecided if allowing the huge top speed oval should be allowed as an oval track.

I did a version of this back in 2007 or so and everyone had a blast. The cars are kind of sloppy, kind of loud, and offer a fight trying to dig out of the slow corners. I think at the time it was only the Supercars, not Nascars. Some testing might be required but the rule restrictions at each extreme resemble current nascar and v8 supercar rules (Well, nascar doesn't use 800hp on the big circuits).

I would like to have pit strategy, also 1/2 hour or so per race. and perhaps a 45 minute or full hour for a combined race. What is involved in settings for the need to pit every 15 minutes ?

• Locked thread