Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. rest apis are a good sign you hosed up bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BonzoESC posted:

UML sequence diagrams are unironically great for explaining how REST APIs work

(goatse.cx is great for explaining the bad xml kind shaggar likes)

why would you need a loving diagram to explain how a rest api works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
b/c "REST API" is codeword for "bunch of crap we put together. heres the word doc the intern wrote that mostly explains all the parameters"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
real APIs are self documenting

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

homercles posted:

disrupter looks cool, I was happily using ArrayBlockingQueue for some handrolled stuff, hopefully i can find a use for this

I liked the talk the disruptor guys gave. "Queues are either full or empty" was one of the platitudes that stood out.

anyway I wrote some wrappers around arrayblockingqueue when I was bored at work ~2 years ago

https://github.com/tef/pipeline/blob/master/org.twentygototen.pipeline/src/org/twentygototen/pipeline/Example.java

it's java *and* pipes :q:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

b/c "REST API" is codeword for "bunch of crap we put together. heres the word doc the intern wrote that mostly explains all the parameters"

unfortunately, this is true.

most of the time REST means 'half assed json over http with arbitrary url construction'.

I need a crying roy t fielding emote

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

There are 5 types of strings in Erlang:

:words:

This seems like a pain in the rear end until you get used to it, but kind of like the idea of a list of Unicode code points with no encoding.

It's probably a pain in the rear end after you get used to it too though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Lysidas posted:

This seems like a pain in the rear end until you get used to it, but kind of like the idea of a list of Unicode code points with no encoding.

It's probably a pain in the rear end after you get used to it too though

It's mostly a pain in the rear end because there's no God drat standard library to handle them, and because there is no good culture about it yet. A lot of people still do not know how to handle Unicode strings, and in general, a lot of people do not even know how Unicode works and want a black box where poo poo magically works.

I do expect it to get better as more people talk about it, get to know how stuff works, and libraries get added.

And yeah, working directly with codepoints can be pretty nice at times.

Incidentally, my biggest String handling pain came from working with Node.JS guys when doing socket.io-erlang marshalling. The node.js guys just assumed a good old 'length(S)' function on a string to tell whatever was valid input or not and determine field length, but based it on string length rather than byte length. This meant that the length of the string was entirely dependent on JS' interpretation of it as a standard, and some grapheme clusters sometimes being unclear (is 'æsthetics' 9 or 10 letters?), and that the act of appending strings together in their format, when encoded under UTF-8, can gently caress up how clustering actually takes place (a standalone ` accent following an e is not always clearly defined as e + `, or è, depending on the circumstances, iirc).

The problem in this case wasn't handling unicode in Erlang, but that some Javascript people had no actual idea how Unicode worked and made it a real pain to work with by simply using string length instead of byte length and appending messages.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 30, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
first python, now earlang. what unfinished language will math students jump to next!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

first python, now earlang. what unfinished language will math students jump to next!

java,

(python and erlang are older than java)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
math majors cant use java cause it works and has finished features+libraries.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

java,

(python and erlang are older than java)
and java is missing some very important and useful features python has

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

math majors cant use java cause it works and has finished features+libraries.

if by finished you mean 'project coin will never see completion', sure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BonzoESC posted:

and java is missing some very important and useful features python has

like sucking? or maybe code obfuscation tools? java has those but they're 3rd party

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

if by finished you mean 'project coin will never see completion', sure.

idk what project coin is but finished as in a usable, practical product

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if java had function primitives i'd probably still be doin java.

great libraries, works everywhere if you're not a dumbass, but goddamn i got tired of jumping through a bunch of gay hoops to implement a loving callback

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
either us an anonymous class or make an object like ur supposed to. function pointers are gross

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 30, 2012

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

either us an anonymous class or make an object like ur supposed to.

these are the gay hoops i was speaking of previously

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
OO only in my OO language please. garbage "functional" code stay out.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

OO only in my OO language please. garbage "functional" code stay out.

In Java, everything is an object well ok except for these primitives like ints and chars and booleans and stuff

In Java, operator overloading is not allowed well ok except for strings

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes they have a few primitives that make sense and + is overloaded on strings for concatination.

but oh no this is too simple and makes sense. lets make everything able to operator overload so we can have a big lovely mess of crap like in c++. lets not stop there, we can have functions be primatives too so people can write even more unreadable code. thats just what i want in a collaberative environment where im probably working w/ idiots.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho lol @ that autoboxing bug w/ ints or w/e. that was pretty good.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

tef posted:

it's java *and* pipes :q:
Did you do anything with that? Looks like a bit of a paradigm shift. Have you played with LINQ?

code:
public abstract class AbstractPipe<I,O> implements Pipe<I,O> {
    final public <O2> Pipe<I,O2> next(final Pipe<? super O,O2> p) {
        return Pipeline.next(this, p);
    }
sometimes most times i really dislike java :saddowns:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

thats just what i want in a collaberative environment where im probably working w/ idiots.

then don't work with idiots

or, equivalently, don't use languages like java and c# that attract idiots

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

yes they have a few primitives that make sense and + is overloaded on strings for concatination.

but oh no this is too simple and makes sense. lets make everything able to operator overload so we can have a big lovely mess of crap like in c++. lets not stop there, we can have functions be primatives too so people can write even more unreadable code. thats just what i want in a collaberative environment where im probably working w/ idiots.
shagger was right?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

My Linux Rig posted:

shagger was right?

lol no

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

c# owns tho

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
i want to use c# but I haven't had a reason to use/learn it.

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

anonymous functions are great to just toss in a callback if you have to like show a message or something

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

My Linux Rig posted:

shagger was right?

daww, it's like you've never encountered a strawman before.

c# is an easy counter example to his 'oh noes my javas it could be c++' malarkey

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is alot more annoying to use than java but most people dont really use the arcane and useless features that math spergs demand so its not so bad. it also means theres no reason for those features to be in the language.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Gazpacho posted:

sweet now try doing it inside an arbitrary function OH SNAP
why would you want to do this? IO should only be done if the function's type signature allows IO.

tef posted:

I have been informed that haskell is easier if you understand category theory first.
no it's not. don't be silly.

you don't need to understand operational semantics to use java, right? why would you need to understand category theory to use haskell?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i always feel sorry for functional programmers

i mean it must get depressing knowing that nothing you've ever written will ever be used by a single person ever

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Sweevo posted:

i always feel sorry for functional programmers

i mean it must get depressing knowing that nothing you've ever written will ever be used by a single person ever
it's cute how all the li'l college students believe this :allears:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

"well my teacher left the industry in '98 and he says everyone uses java, nobody cares about that functional stuff, so who am I am to argue!?"

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Janin posted:

it's cute how all the li'l middleware brogrammers believe this :allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
middleware owns cause everyone uses all the good tools + languages unlike in 99% of frontend and some backend stuff.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

middleware owns cause everyone uses all the good tools + languages unlike in 99% of frontend and some backend stuff.

but i thought you used java and eclipse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes correct. java and eclipse are the best tools + languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Shaggar posted:

Name me a piece of "middleware" that isn't a complete pile of poo poo, because I've never seen one.