Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

blankoblanco posted:

Hard not to be miles better when last year they were probably the worst in the league. To now say the Jags have one of the best WR corps in the league, thanks largely to a rookie and Lee Evans? I don't see how that's anything but "totally unreasonable"

Well, maybe he meant strength in a relative term, because on the Jaguars... it's probably one of their most talented positions now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Some of you may remember DE/OLB Ricky Elmore, a player who was drafted by the Packers in the 6th round last year, he was college teammate to Brooks Reed. Elmore led his team and the PAC (IIRC) in sacks his final year.

He was drafted by the Packers and cut at the end of training camp because he seriously did NOTHING during training camp or the preseason. He got zero push even against low quality tackles, he couldn't stop the run and couldn't cover. He seriously didn't make a single play that made you think, "Hey maybe he's got a future in the league." He was a nice enough guy, he seemed to try hard, he just didn't have the ability.

This forumer is answering the question of why Elmore was cut.

quote:

The answer is very obvious. He lacks melanin. If he didn't lack melanin, he wouldn't had been treated this way. He would've been given every chance to succeed, not knocked down with invented things and then cut in preseason.[

Answer me this. Who was the last black college player to put up two 10+ sacks seasons in a very good conference and get picked in the 6th round or later, and then he was cut in preseason. I'll wait.

Of course Elmore didn't do anything in the NFL, so far he was not allowed to play in the NFL.

And no, this is not from Caste Football, sadly.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"You Lack Melanin" - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Caste football cop

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is however

quote:

The Wonderlic scores aren't supposed to be officially released to the public. Whenever they have gotten out, it's either through the player or a leak.
I'd be very wary of any score reported for Griffin. I was a wrestling fan (the silly kind) when I was growing up, and I always found it frustrating how new stars would be "created" by a fairly rapid progression of hype and scripted behavior. Whenever ratings began to sag, Vince McMahon would just take one of his long time villains and quickly reshape his image into that of a hero, and vice versa. That's obviously what the XFL was intended to be if it had succeeded.
I suspect the NFL, which, after all, exists solely to make money, has taken note of McMahon's long term stability and success and has adopted some of his practices. There was nothing in Cam Newton's previous history to suggest he would be a competent quarterback in the NFL. But, although his team wasn't all that successful, they have created a media image for him as one of the league's brightest superstars. Part of that is just endless hype, but another component is the changing rules that are making it easier for quotabacks to perform in NFL games. They're under a lot less pressure to find an open receiver quickly, since they are practically untouchable. Add in the relaxed officiating on holding calls and you have a situation where any idiot could take a snap and get a pass off without taking contact.
Unlike other members here, I believe Griffin will be very successful in the NFL. Because the league feels like they need him to be successful. A game doesn't have to be "fixed" for one player to find success. The rules and traditions of the game can be changed to fit the abilities and characteristics of specific types of players. Since Griffin is so similar to Newton, I believe he will perform at least as well in his first season. Along with that, the NFL will make sure he gets the same star treatment that made the underwhelming Newton a household name. But they likely want to take it further with Griffin. They can make him the "best of everything" by creating the appearance that he's not only the most athletically gifted quarterback to ever play the position, but he's also the smartest.
So, that's my long-winded explanation for why I would distrust any Wonderlic score released for Griffin. I fully expect his score to be reported over 40. After all, he's also a chalkboard genius, despite playing in an idiot-proof offense where the coaching box makes all the play calls before the snap.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Ahh yes, that noted team full of blacks the Indianapolis Colts dare get the rules changed to help their players.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ah yes, the WWE is a paragon of long term planning and popular characters, such as....uh....hrm.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What's amazing is how the NFL can target these rules to only affect black quarterbacks while Jimmy Clausen is left hopeless.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I think part of the caste post mentality is that many of these guys appear to be really mad they're not star collegiate/professional athletes and choose the comfort of believing that maybe they could have gotten there if not for the vile system of oppression against white people in sports.

It's easier to get mad about non-existent boogeymen and strawman stereotypes than it is to acknowledge they didn't work hard enough and/or didn't hit the genetic lottery jackpot.

Wonder what the correlation is between caste football posting and guys who were high school backups.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Guy called in to the late show on Sports 610 in Houston tonight, had to ask if Case Keenum was drafted, and after he was told the Texans signed him as an UDFA said:

"Now the Texans have a REAL passing quarterback."

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
^^^ Post/av combo

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

Guy called in to the late show on Sports 610 in Houston tonight, had to ask if Case Keenum was drafted, and after he was told the Texans signed him as an UDFA said:

"Now the Texans have a REAL passing quarterback."

I don't get the hate for Schaub. Dude is a legit good QB and, without the injury this year, the Texans stood a good chance to get into the late rounds of the playoffs.

osu
May 30, 2011

Sash! posted:

Ah yes, the WWE is a paragon of long term planning and popular characters, such as....uh....hrm.

The 'WHAT?' chant that's lasted more than a decade and has found its way into other sports' drafts.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Morby posted:

I don't get the hate for Schaub. Dude is a legit good QB and, without the injury this year, the Texans stood a good chance to get into the late rounds of the playoffs.

I don't think this is hate for Schaub as much as its Keenum fans who think he's just going to air raid it up in the NFL no problem.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

osu posted:

The 'WHAT?' chant that's lasted more than a decade and has found its way into other sports' drafts.

'YES!' is next.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

McKracken posted:

I don't think this is hate for Schaub as much as its Keenum fans who think he's just going to air raid it up in the NFL no problem.

Yeah, but there are also folks who still :qq: about the Texans "missing out" on Vince Young. Sports fans are dumb.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Morby posted:

Yeah, but there are also folks who still :qq: about the Texans "missing out" on Vince Young. Sports fans are dumb.

Even now? That's loving mind blowing after seeing how good Schaub has been for quite a while now. Honestly that hurts my brain. I could see it that one year the Titans were on a winning streak with Young as the starter (I can't justify it but I can at least see why idiots would believe it) ...but... now? Really?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I think it's just Texas wanting Texas college quarterbacks to be their NFL QB's. Till this day my dad still says "Man if only the Cowboys got Vince Young or Colt McCoy! Get some Horns on the roster."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

squarerandom posted:

I think it's just Texas wanting Texas college quarterbacks to be their NFL QB's. Till this day my dad still says "Man if only the Cowboys got Vince Young or Colt McCoy! Get some Horns on the roster."

You know what the only difference between Major Applewhite and Tony Romo is? Opportunities

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Fenrir posted:

Even now? That's loving mind blowing after seeing how good Schaub has been for quite a while now. Honestly that hurts my brain. I could see it that one year the Titans were on a winning streak with Young as the starter (I can't justify it but I can at least see why idiots would believe it) ...but... now? Really?

Prejudice against white players, clearly. The only reason Schaub gets no respect is melanin.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean, that's not totally unreasonable. Blackmon/Robinson/Evans is miles better than what they had last year.
Don't forget Mike Thomas, who was poo poo as a #1 last year but should be a pretty good slot guy.

In theory that's actually a pretty solid four-man rotation if Evans can do anything at all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can't tell which type of patsfans.com posts make me :rolleyes: more; the super exaggerated optimism where it's inevitable that we win the next 3 Super Bowls or the absolute depressing pessimism that can never be pleased.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can't tell which type of patsfans.com posts make me :rolleyes: more; the super exaggerated optimism where it's inevitable that we win the next 3 Super Bowls or the absolute depressing pessimism that can never be pleased.

At least you have the positive one.

I gave up on PSU boards after I realized almost everyone was either "nine wins is a horrible season" or "if the record is less than 13-0 its a disaster of 9/11 proportions."

For the NFL guys only, if a college team goes 9-3 its not the best season but half the league would kill to sniff something even close to that. But when you look at the top 10 teams of all time, their average season: 9-3. Actually 8-4 is closer. No one has a .750 all time winning percentage.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
College boards are an entirely different animal. Every now and then I'd drop by the NCSU basketball one for some massive laughs. Every year was "fire Sendek" then the one time Julius Hodge went coast to coast on UConn to steal a sweet 16 berth there was like a 20 page thread "Should Herb Sendek have the auto extending 10 year contract we gave Jimmy V?" with like 1,000 HELL YES replies. Guess what they wanted to do not even 12 months later?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Something new for the Bookmark file: http://qbinskirts.com/

quote:

Today football has forever been ruined by the Dictator Commissioner of the NFL and the pansy “journalists” that influence him. Suspending Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison was a shameful act brought on mostly by a bunch of cowards that never played the game beyond the pee wee level. Let me start with the play in question. There is enough ambiguity with the actual rule to argue that Harrison’s hit on Cleveland Browns QB Colt McCoy was in fact legal. When a QB attempts to advance the ball as a runner he can be hit like a runner. Helmet to helmet hits on runners are within the rules. On the play in question McCoy broke out of the pocket and tucked the ball. He made no less than 4 strides with the ball tucked before he flipped it at the last second to an open receiver. Even though he was able to get rid of the ball he never established a passing posture. When James Harrison committed to making the hit on McCoy he did so under the assumption that McCoy was trying to run the ball. I don’t know how anyone could argue that McCoy was not trying to advance the ball as a runner once he tucked the ball and broke from the pocket. Had Harrison laid a lick like that on Peyton Hillis there would be no such outrage. It just isn’t cut and dry that the hit was illegal and there is no consensus that it was an illegal hit. Former NFL player Bucky Brooks who writes for NFL.com had this to say about the hit in an opinion piece on NFL.com:

There's more!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Kalli posted:

Something new for the Bookmark file: http://qbinskirts.com/

There's more!

Well this is certainly something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"Almost every player in the NFL. Most of them would be in prison or dead if it wasn't for inner-city football programs."

osu
May 30, 2011

squarerandom posted:

Browns fan here. Will gladly 1:1 trade you McCoy for Romo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

osu posted:

Browns fan here. Will gladly 1:1 trade you McCoy for Romo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Seahawks fan here. Will gladly trade you 3:1 all our qbs for Romo.

Kalli posted:

"Almost every player in the NFL. Most of them would be in prison or dead if it wasn't for inner-city football programs."

Black Men: Death or Prison, You Decide!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Look at this mock draft. Just look at it

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/829515-ye-official-2012-mock-draft-thread-page111.html#post3022301

That's right, EIGHTEEN PICKS and an additional ten UDFA.

And here's the rational for his strategy.

quote:

2005 ~ Might we'ave beat the Broncos ~ and won it all ~ with 1 more effective O Back?? Super Bowl.

2006 ~ Would we'ave beat the Colts ~ and won it all ~ with an actual Wide Receiver?? Super Bowl.

2007 ~ Would we'ave beat the Giants ~ and won it all ~ with a beastly back up for Neal?? Super Bowl.

2008 ~ Would we'ave won one more game ~ and made mincemeat of that pathetically weak PlayOffs field ~ if we'd had better Depth of Talent at Flanker or MidFielder?? Super Bowl.

2010 ~ Would we'ave destroyed the Jets ~ and won it all ~ if we'd had better Depth of Talent at O Back, Split End, O Guard, or Corner?? Super Bowl.

2011 ~ Would we'ave beat the Giants ~ and won it all ~ with a substantial back up for Gronk?? Super Bowl.

That's 6 Super Bowls we might've won, out'f the last 7...if we had more substantial, impactfull Depth of Talent...And yet so many still bleat that they couldn't imagine where we could possibly improve this roster of Ryan Wendells, Bobby Carpenters, Steven Gregorys, and Sergio Browns!!

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 5, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look at this mock draft. Just look at it

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/829515-ye-official-2012-mock-draft-thread-page111.html#post3022301

That's right, EIGHTEEN PICKS and an additional ten UDFA.

And here's the rational for his strategy.

WHY DON'T WE HAVE STARTER DEPTH AT EVERY BACKUP POSITION GUYS????

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Wow this guy is great

I was going to pick some quotes but there is too much. Ray Lewis is only Ray Lewis because of two players he hasn't played with in over a decade, center is the third most important position on the field because Vince Lombardi won with interior blocking 90 years ago,

This is probably my favorite though

quote:

Obviously, that makes CornerBack a priority for me. However, as they are furthest away from the Ball at the time of the Snap, I'm not looking to break the bank on them.
What.the.gently caress

I quit reading here but man this dude must have put 20 hours into this psychotic post.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I love that guy and I wish he posted here.

Also I think he might be Ehud's coworker

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Sam Adams was on the Ravens for literally two years, 2000 and 2001. Lewis made the pro bowl in 97 and 98 and was an all-pro in 1999. In 2002, the year after Adams left(and the whole team was gutted due to the cap), Lewis would have likely been a top candidate for DPOY if he hadn't been injured. He won the award again in 2003. In neither of these years did we have an Adams or a Siragusa. Those players were certainly key to our Superbowl run and did help Lewis but they're far from the things that forged his career.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Ribsauce posted:

This is probably my favorite though
What.the.gently caress

I quit reading here but man this dude must have put 20 hours into this psychotic post.

Best part of that is if Asante Samuel didn't drop an interception that hit his loving hands on the play right before "that play". New England would have had 19-0.

And if we had a respectable corner covering Manningham, Eli would be 0-2 against the Patriots in Super Bowls.

And Ray Lewis owes Tony Siragusa anything for being probably the best linebacker in the history of the NFL? Now thats trolling.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
There was a game in 2004 on MNF against the Chiefs where Ray Lewis was going nuts because he thought he was being double teamed on every play and that's when the team decided we needed a huge dominant DT up front or something. Some people got the idea from that game that Ray Lewis was overrated and that the only reason he did well all those years was because he had big players like Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa to keep blockers from getting to him. But really that game was just against that mega offensive line the Chiefs had with like 3 HOFers on it. I think this is where that whole theory originated.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Manningham play didn't really matter in the end. I have no doubt in my mind that Eli would have just driven down the field to kick the game winning field goal as time expired anyway.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Im not sure Id want Eli Manning kicking my field goals

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

There was a game in 2004 on MNF against the Chiefs where Ray Lewis was going nuts because he thought he was being double teamed on every play and that's when the team decided we needed a huge dominant DT up front or something. Some people got the idea from that game that Ray Lewis was overrated and that the only reason he did well all those years was because he had big players like Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa to keep blockers from getting to him. But really that game was just against that mega offensive line the Chiefs had with like 3 HOFers on it. I think this is where that whole theory originated.

This is still one of my favorite replays from that offensive line. Ray talking about how he's being doubled every play and then they show him never being doubled and just running into Shields again and again (or occasionally Roaf or someone else). The defenses on those teams were :stonk: bad so there was never any playoff success, but that line was amazing.

As I remember Lewis was actually pretty good that game too once you got past the doubled every down quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
There's an old industry secret...

Every LBer gets dominated when offensive linemen who outweigh them by 50-80 lbs constantly get in their face.

I always laugh when I hear people say "Oh that LBer sucks unless he has a D-line that can keep him clean."

In other news, RBs suck when defensive linemen are constantly breaking through the O-line and tackling them behind the LOS.

• Locked thread