Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gursky is awesome.
Speaking of that, someone post some awesome tableu photographers. I'm well into it atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think those are banal at all. Gursky is banal. A photo of a random wall is banal. Those are well executed landscapes of an exotic location. That is not banal. Don't assume, and don't tell people not to post based on those assumptions.

They're not landscapes, nor are they trying to be exotic. Given that you think Gurksy is 'banal', all signs point towards you being unable to comprehend a photograph beyond the obvious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love how you guys just post snide remarks instead of putting effort into coversation and a good discussion environment here. Why not contribute instead of being assholes about it? Get off your high horses. :rolleyes:

Gursky's work explores a lot of banality, we even had a discussion on it in the early pages of this thread.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 27, 2012

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I love how you guys just post snide remarks instead of putting effort into coversation and a good discussion environment here. Why not contribute instead of being assholes about it? Get off your high horses. :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ you're an idiot. Stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

Why not just not post when you don't understand something instead of being dismissive of an entire genre?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh yeah, because we are the ones randomly talking poo poo about stuff we don't understand. Why don't you go make a whiny QCS thread about it? :getout:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ok please shut up as of now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well seeing as I am a regular poster of actual content for this thread and I posted my opinions on the matter in a much more mature way than you guys are acting here, how about you all go away?

<--- sweet title, glad you guys care so much.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Bottom Liner posted:

How does one discuss "its been done."? It's not a critique of the pictures, it's just you dismissing the pictures because it's not new and exciting.

Have a worth while opinion that is worth discussing and then there will be discussion.

Here is an example:
Personally I liked the colour palette used. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of some of the pictures. 1,2, and 4 were my favorites.

See, that is something that can be discussed. Why did I like those ones, and not some of the others? What about the palette appealed to me.

I didn't just vomit a lovely opinion then furiously back pedal when called on it.

Edit:

Bottom Liner posted:

Well seeing as I am a regular poster of actual content for this thread and I posted my opinions on the matter in a much more mature way than you guys are acting here, how about you all go away?

So posting in this thread give you the privilege of poo poo posting and telling other (larger) contributers to get out? Noted.

Anything else that being King of this thread entitles you to?

Editedit:

Bottom Liner posted:

oh, i see being king of the thread DOES entitle you to something

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

<--- sweet title, glad you guys care so much.

Okay, actual effort: those photos are very interesting examinations of density vs. open space. That's a much more interesting angle on Hong Kong than viewing it as an exotic other.

Less effort:
Who are you to tell people you've contributed more to this thread than others?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229836&userid=40451
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229836&userid=92483

In summary:
:wrongful:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

Ok please shut up as of now.

This wasn't a suggestion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

One of the best series I've found recently, in both content and execution;

Eric Valli: Off the Grid

quote:

There are growing number of people
who have decided to live light on the earth
to not be a part of problem anymore
I spent the last few years with four of them
striving for harmony with nature
in the most pristine corners of United States

http://www.ericvalli.com/index.php?/stories/off-the-grid/

Crazy Goat
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

One of the best series I've found recently, in both content and execution;

Eric Valli: Off the Grid

http://www.ericvalli.com/index.php?/stories/off-the-grid/

I love these - it gives your imagination room to design explanations or stories to support the image.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They look like stills from movies in the 70's.. especially the one with the mountains. Urge to fiddle with white balance is almost impossible to resist!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bottom Liner posted:

Phalanx - Super Nintendo :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
http://www.americanelegy.com/an-interview-with-tom-wik/

This guys work owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
More sweet lanscape stuff. I like the clean minimalist lines in "white noise" and "tunnels".

http://www.sandermeisner.nl/

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Continuing my streak of not being a regular contributor:

Steven Brooks has a pretty awesome series called American Pickup:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Reichstag posted:

Lars Tunbjörk

Bitingly funny and absurd photography.

m4mbo posted:

I think you're thinking about exactitudes...http://www.exactitudes.com/

Bang, isn't the internet amazing :)

These are both great, thank you.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Christian Stoll: Doer of Amazing Photo Stuff.

edit: changed to timg, didn't realize these were so huge...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a wacky update to how timg functions. In some ways it's cool, in others, I liked having big images open in a new tab better.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

dukeku posted:

I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in and thought this was your stuff.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

xzzy posted:

That's a wacky update to how timg functions. In some ways it's cool, in others, I liked having big images open in a new tab better.

Whoa...I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Odd, but neat.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in and thought this was your stuff.

(glad I wasn't the only one)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Eh, that stuff is 6x6 Dukeku is a 6x7ist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really creative double exposure work

http://andredefreitas.com/Double-Exposures

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Tokihiro Sato - 3 hour exposures on 8x10:

and also some interesting pinhole work:

taken with this camera:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 1, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bottom Liner posted:

These are so drat cool. I really wish my 60d could do this natively.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Falco posted:

These are so drat cool. I really wish my 60d could do this natively.

Time to upgrade to a 5d3!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

Time to upgrade to a 5d3!

Or any edition of Photoshop with layers. Seriously, in camera multiexposures are hard. Those ones are done in post.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

These are not double exposures. They're reflections on a window. I remember reading about the photographer and I'm pretty sure he said they were reflections.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Santa is strapped posted:

These are not double exposures. They're reflections on a window. I remember reading about the photographer and I'm pretty sure he said they were reflections.

Makes sense.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hyungwon Kang: Store owners defend their property as gunfire breaks out in Koreatown at Western Avenue and 5th Street on April 30

From a multi-photographer gallery of images from the 1992 LA riots at framework.latimes.com

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

Wow, that's crazy. I assumed it was done in post as well, but that's genius.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Wow, that's crazy. I assumed it was done in post as well, but that's genius.

Hmm, now that I'm looking at the whole set, some do look like they are double exposures - these ones in particular:

and some others as well.

May be I was confused as to which photographer said that.

Hmm... unless he was carrying a piece of glass with him and held it between the subjects.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

dukeku posted:

This is interesting, I like it a lot. It has given me some inspiration for a project...

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Here's some portraits from the newly scanned Gemini photos.

Rest of the stuff is here in hi-res. http://tothemoon.ser.asu.edu/

Lots of shots of the spacecraft/earth.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

East Lake posted:

All of these. I want them in my room.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I, Butthole posted:

All of these. I want them in my room.

Totally agreed. Although don't you know that it was all filmed in a studio anyway? (just trying to prod the conspiracy theorists)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

East Lake posted:

Rest of the stuff is here in hi-res. http://tothemoon.ser.asu.edu/

They have this nice film-look. I really, really dig them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

East Lake posted:

Stupid kids and their MySpace angle self portraits.

• Locked thread