Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Radbot posted:

How old are you guys? I'm a 26 y/o male, and the lowest I've ever been quoted for an '06 V-Strom DL1000 for full coverage is more than $100/month, and I've never been in an accident, cited, or had an insurance loss. It's bullshit that I'm grouped along with other idiots my age when I'm a goddamned commercial driver instructor and have never even been in a minor crash, knock on wood.

I'm 24 and I pay a little over $400/yr for comp, collision and liability on an 07 DRZ400sm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Radbot posted:

How old are you guys? I'm a 26 y/o male, and the lowest I've ever been quoted for an '06 V-Strom DL1000 for full coverage is more than $100/month, and I've never been in an accident, cited, or had an insurance loss. It's bullshit that I'm grouped along with other idiots my age when I'm a goddamned commercial driver instructor and have never even been in a minor crash, knock on wood.

Really? Through who? After you hit 25 you should get a decent break.

I pay like $250 a year for my bandit through Progressive

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

26, 99 SV650, I pay 200 bucks a year. That's including 300/500/300 limits, full coverage everything, including UM and the like. Try different insurance companies, your DL shouldn't have coverage that high, and bike insurance is REALLY inconsitent. My 690 SMC was about the same, so was my DRZ, so was my ZZR1200, so I think you just need to find a better company.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am 31 the wife is 28, we pay about $400/y for the Ulysses and the R1150R together. Both of us are insured on both bikes. She has two speeding tickets on motorcycles in the last 2 years. In fact, we just got a note that our Progressive rate is going DOWN for our June renewal.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've tried every single insurance company I can think of including weird little ones like Markel, and I can't get it under $470 for the year. Does it have to do with living in Denver?

What insurance companies do you guys use? I know it won't guarantee a lower rate, but at least I can start where other CAers have gotten good rates.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

I've tried every single insurance company I can think of including weird little ones like Markel, and I can't get it under $470 for the year. Does it have to do with living in Denver?

What insurance companies do you guys use? I know it won't guarantee a lower rate, but at least I can start where other CAers have gotten good rates.

I used Foremost and then bundled in with State Farm.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Radbot posted:

Progressive lumped in with my car insurance and renter's insurance (underwritten.)

I should mention my $400/yr was with my 25y/o wife listed as insured as well.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I think the real lesson about insurance is: Don't be under 25. I get raped on insurance for a 75 Honda 550, purely due to my age. Progressive was by and far the cheapest I found though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never bothered with collision on my bikes. Everything but for the C14 is $120/year. I think its about $400 with collision.

(OLD GUY.. but not 40)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Would blue grips on a blue bike look weird? The rubber on my right hand grip split so I'm contemplating ordering a new pair.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

Do you keep it in a garage? I imagine street-parked bikes are more expensive to insure.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I took the MSF course this past weekend and passed the test no sweat, so now I'm starting to consider picking up a bike on the somewhat cheap; 3-4k tops, less is better. I've got a bunch of coworkers/friends who ride a wide variety of different things and are all older, responsible, ATGATT types so I have some trustworthy resources at my disposal but just wanted to see if AI has any insight or recommendations.

I'm looking to pick up something that's kind of a sporty standard (or standard-y sport) for bombing around town and for some short trips to the mountains and islands (at most an overnight, generally less than 1 day), and based on my own research and my friends my current short list is an SV650, GS500, Ninja 250R/500R, and the BMW K75. Yeah, I know the K75 is kind of an odd contender on that list.

Now I know that a lot of people would say get the Ninja 250 as a first bike, and I am definitely considering it. But my friends and I think I'm responsible enough to handle a little bit bigger bike without killing myself, too. I'm 25, driving since 16 with a clean record, road biking seriously for several years, and also have some experience on 125cc underbones on the crazy roads of SE Asia. I did great in the MSF course, really impressed the instructors, and felt really natural on the KLX250 I was riding, though I know that's much different than riding on the street.

Am I stupid for considering something bigger than a Ninja 250? Any other options I should be considering?

As for the K75, I think BMW motorcycles are pretty rad, I've owned a couple BMW cars and still do own one so I kind of know what I'm getting into with the BMW brand, and I'm mechanical enough to feel comfortable working on it since it would be an older bike. I'm still undecided if it's something I want to dive into right now, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2012

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Progressive has treated me pretty well. I have 4 years with no claims/tickets and my b-king with full insurance (comp/collision/um) and low deductables works out to less than 60/mo. It would be cheaper if I paid in chunks or bundled my car insurance. I am 22 years old (prime insurance rape age).

I will say that I pay about the same now as I did on my first sv650 almost 4 years ago. Looks like they really, really like a clean driving history.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Guinness posted:

I took the MSF course this past weekend and passed the test no sweat, so now I'm starting to consider picking up a bike on the somewhat cheap; 3-4k tops, less is better. I've got a bunch of coworkers/friends who ride a wide variety of different things and are all older, responsible, ATGATT types so I have some trustworthy resources at my disposal but just wanted to see if AI has any insight or recommendations.

I'm looking to pick up something that's kind of a sporty standard (or standard-y sport) for bombing around town and for some short trips to the mountains and islands (at most an overnight, generally less than 1 day), and based on my own research and my friends my current short list is an SV650, GS500, Ninja 250R/500R, and the BMW K75. Yeah, I know the K75 is kind of an odd contender on that list.

Now I know that a lot of people would say get the Ninja 250 as a first bike, and I am definitely considering it. But my friends and I think I'm responsible enough to handle a little bit bigger bike without killing myself, too. I'm 25, driving since 16 with a clean record, road biking seriously for several years, and also have some experience on 125cc underbones on the crazy roads of SE Asia. I did great in the MSF course, really impressed the instructors, and felt really natural on the KLX250 I was riding, though I know that's much different than riding on the street.

Am I stupid for considering something bigger than a Ninja 250? Any other options I should be considering?

As for the K75, I think BMW motorcycles are pretty rad, I've owned a couple BMW cars and still do own one so I kind of know what I'm getting into with the BMW brand, and I'm mechanical enough to feel comfortable working on it since it would be an older bike. I'm still undecided if it's something I want to dive into right now, though.
The K75 and SV650 are the best options out of that list if you ask me. I think SV650 would probably be better. I'm a BMW guy, but the old K bikes are not all that appealing. Not bad, just kinda boring and heavy and hard to work on.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Radbot posted:

I pay $133/year through State Farm for great coverage, and I'm near Boulder so it can't just be your area.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Guinness posted:

Gonna agree with the Rev. here...get the SV650, you'll be fine.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

So, I'm looking into getting a bike to commute on, and am looking at riding gear online. I figure that my leather combat boots should work, and found this stuff online for what I feel is a good price. (I don't have a very large budget)

I, however, have not ridden a motorcycle before, and would like to appeal to goon wisdom before making any decisions. I'll be signing up for the MSF on Friday after I get paid, and will wait to order the gear until I've completed the course. Do you guys have opinions on leatherup.com, the gear I picked out, or my use of combat boots instead of dedicated motorcycle boots?

http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Full-Face-Helmets/HJC-CL-16-Solid-Matte-Black-Helmet/95088.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...ket/337891.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Gloves-/Xelement-Mens-Black-Gel-Padded-Palm-Racing-Gloves/56128.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Mens-Pants-and-Chaps/Xelement-Mens-Black-Tri-Tex-Pants-with-Reflective-Piping/97512.html

Thanks in advance!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Early 30s, about $550/year for full coverage on a new Speed Triple through Geico. Disappointingly, no discount for ABS. Time with a new license plays a big part, your first year or two will be brutal unless you have a very conservative bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Day Man posted:

So, I'm looking into getting a bike to commute on, and am looking at riding gear online. I figure that my leather combat boots should work, and found this stuff online for what I feel is a good price. (I don't have a very large budget)

I, however, have not ridden a motorcycle before, and would like to appeal to goon wisdom before making any decisions. I'll be signing up for the MSF on Friday after I get paid, and will wait to order the gear until I've completed the course. Do you guys have opinions on leatherup.com, the gear I picked out, or my use of combat boots instead of dedicated motorcycle boots?

http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Full-Face-Helmets/HJC-CL-16-Solid-Matte-Black-Helmet/95088.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...ket/337891.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Gloves-/Xelement-Mens-Black-Gel-Padded-Palm-Racing-Gloves/56128.html

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Mens-Pants-and-Chaps/Xelement-Mens-Black-Tri-Tex-Pants-with-Reflective-Piping/97512.html

Thanks in advance!

I'd buy full gauntlet gloves and leather ones. Helmet is fine, if it fits, do you know if that helmet fits you?

If you're not going to get full riding boots with proper ankle support, your combat boots will be as good as any entry level motorcycle boot. I'd say get the full riding boots but that's a call you have to make, if you're not going to wear them, don't bother buying them.

Also I'd look for something with at least 1000 denier fabric in the sliding areas, that jacket is only 600. Higher denier means higher threadcount which usually means more abrasion resistance.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Guinness posted:

I got the SV as my first bike a few days ago and I love it. It has a lot of torque but nothing a beginner cant handle.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Also I'd look for something with at least 1000 denier fabric in the sliding areas, that jacket is only 600. Higher denier means higher threadcount which usually means more abrasion resistance.

Correct, although denier actually means higher thread thickness rather than threadcount. :science:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nice, I'm glad to hear you guys all say get the SV650. That's kind of at the top of my list currently, but now I need to find a couple to test ride. Thanks for the confirmation.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
As a newer rider a tamer lighter bike like the 250 will be more forgiving but a sv isn't a bad option. I'm amazed at how easy it is to tightly maneuver a ninjette versus my FZ6, which isn't too much larger. I'll say in these threads too that I started on a FZ6 but the 250 taught me to ride. The FZ6 rode me around, it wasn't until I put some miles on the little 250 that I felt like I learned how to move a bike around.

I always hear that "you shouldn't get a small bike because you'll 'outgrow' it too quickly". What I think most people mean by 'outgrow' is 'get used to the throttle' when it should be 'learn how to comfortably pilot the bike'. If you get rid of it in a season because of that, good. You learned to ride and it served you well. Skipping the "learning to ride" part just because you can resist the wrist twist is silly.

I just see lots of riders looking very awkward on bikes and I think about how I used to be one of them. I even have video evidence lol.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 2, 2012

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

I'd buy full gauntlet gloves and leather ones. Helmet is fine, if it fits, do you know if that helmet fits you?

If you're not going to get full riding boots with proper ankle support, your combat boots will be as good as any entry level motorcycle boot. I'd say get the full riding boots but that's a call you have to make, if you're not going to wear them, don't bother buying them.

I do not know if that helmet will fit. I figured I'd measure and use their exchange policy if I get the wrong size. I like the fact that it's got the more stringent testing badge, and the low price. I did not know what the denier count meant, thanks for explaining. Is that "level 3" the type of armor I should be looking for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Day Man posted:

I do not know if that helmet will fit. I figured I'd measure and use their exchange policy if I get the wrong size. I like the fact that it's got the more stringent testing badge, and the low price. I did not know what the denier count meant, thanks for explaining. Is that "level 3" the type of armor I should be looking for?

Yeah, CE certification is good, and higher numbers are better.

Helmet fit is a very individual thing, you can't just measure, you also have to take into account head shape. Go try on a bunch of helmets, there's nothing worse than a helmet that "fits" but compresses the poo poo out of your forehead, causing a massive headache after 30 seconds.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Helmet fit is a very individual thing, you can't just measure, you also have to take into account head shape. Go try on a bunch of helmets, there's nothing worse than a helmet that "fits" but compresses the poo poo out of your forehead, causing a massive headache after 30 seconds.

Scorpion and most Arai for me :(

HJC fits the very best, followed by Suomy and Shoei for me.

Seriously, HJC is the best feeling helmet ever for my head.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

Alright, thanks! I'll definitely do that. I'm sure there are plenty of shops around here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tenchrono posted:

Would blue grips on a blue bike look weird? The rubber on my right hand grip split so I'm contemplating ordering a new pair.

Post a picture of your bike and the grips in question, and I'll photoshop it for you so you can see.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Time with a new license plays a big part, your first year or two will be brutal unless you have a very conservative bike.

What counts as a conservative bike in the context of this statement? Lower displacement? Age? Current value?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

What counts as a conservative bike in the context of this statement? Lower displacement? Age? Current value?

Something not particularly powerful nor likely to be stolen. Something like a Ninja 250 or a GS500.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I quoted myself (19, 0 years experience, MSF) on a '08 Ninja 250 through Progressive just for fun the other day, came in at $307/year.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
drat, I just looked on the Progressive website, I'd be saving over $200/year for my insurance. Just might have to switch, that is a pretty nice difference.

Edit - I'm a 25 year old male in the Chicago area, not married yet, no tickets or accidents or any of that stuff, on a 13 year old cruiser.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 2, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think I need to go and talk to an agent or something, I'm completely clueless as to why a 26 year old person with a flawless driving record and an MSF course under his belt would be getting higher rates than 19 year olds. Maybe my bike is considered a squiddy literbike, even though it's just a DL1K?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Radbot posted:

I think I need to go and talk to an agent or something, I'm completely clueless as to why a 26 year old person with a flawless driving record and an MSF course under his belt would be getting higher rates than 19 year olds. Maybe my bike is considered a squiddy literbike, even though it's just a DL1K?

It could be that 1k... When you're looking for a quote, make sure you're putting in 996cc (for the 2012, or whatever it is for yours). I'd bet at least some companies jack it up at that size. My 04 MTS 1000 is only $221 through Progressive, but the engine size is only 992cc. I'm 27.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Splizwarf posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

Something not particularly powerful nor likely to be stolen. Something like a Ninja 250 or a GS500.

Basically. Something that doesn't say "I'm going to wear this as a hat / wrap it around a tree / smash through a school bus before I've ridden a month." If you want cheap insurance to start out, rule out a modern 600cc+ sportbike or anything that even sounds like one, and Lord help you if it's got '1000' in the name. Because we've all known the guy that totalled his Gixxa the first weekend he owned it. Cruisers get cut slack (they wreck going slower) and at some point even the most widowmaker UJMs become 'classics' and get really affordable.

A DL1000 is possibly in their system as '1000cc sportbike' which gets you stratospheric rates. Talking to a human might help, saying it's a V-Strom might help. My first insurance company (I think Merkel) tripled my rates one year after they 'reclassified' my Z1000 from a standard to a sportbike (I immediately switched) and Geico keeps switching my Speed Triple back and forth to a Street Triple, so there's reasonable odds their systems are just a mess, and reasonable odds they'll work with you on it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I tried lowering the gear shift lever on my new SV. I adjusted the gear shift rod as far as it could go, but the lever was still too high and I have to lift my foot off the peg to shift.

So I tackled the clamp/shaft, taking off the clamp and relocating it. At first I positioned it wrong, causing the lever to strike against the adjacent nut portion of the rod. I positioned the clamp again so the lever was high enough that it wouldn't hit the rod. It seemed to shift into first fine from neutral, then I went around the block, shifting up into 3rd... Then I slowed down to a stop, and shifted into what was supposed to be first. I tried taking off again, but the bike wasn't in first - slipping as if it was in 2nd or 3rd. It refused to go into neutral or 1st.

I slipped the bike back home and looked at the adjustment of the clamp - tried adjusting the shifter lever to be too high like before along with other incremental adjustments, but the bike STILL won't let me find neutral or go into first. I pushed down with my finger until it felt as if it was in first - then shifted as much up as I could, counting 5 shifts... Then back down, and still no neutral? WTFFF. I hope i didnt break anything. Does anyone have any advice?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 2, 2012

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Post a picture of your bike and the grips in question, and I'll photoshop it for you so you can see.

Thanks but I just saw this and I picked up some dark blue ones earlier.

On that subject, How do you install these? The cashier said something about soapy water, I assume just take the old ones off and slide the new ones on?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

I slipped the bike back home and looked at the adjustment of the clamp - tried adjusting the shifter lever to be too high like before along with other incremental adjustments, but the bike STILL won't let me find neutral or go into first. I pushed down with my finger until it felt as if it was in first - then shifted as much up as I could, counting 5 shifts... Then back down, and still no neutral? WTFFF. I hope i didnt break anything. Does anyone have any advice?

Not specific, but make sure your clamp is on the correct spline position and tightened correctly, and can achieve full range of motion when you operate the shifter lever with positive, firm action on the shift shaft.

You also need to have the bike running to perform a shift test. It will not behave correctly when stopped.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
There's a specific spline position for my SV? I did pull the bike a bit fwd/back and ran it during my shifting test that got me up 5 shifts.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

There's a specific spline position for my SV?

Well presumably part 27 here needs to be in the right position to be able to remain in a neutral position when the rod is not actuated by the lever, and still move the shift shaft around in its proper range when being shifted.