Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
a msp430 is like five dollars and im pretty sure i read something that they made a newer revision of it and now its the most energy efficient microcontroller or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ahhh spiders posted:

lol that's terrible. oh well i guess that's why it costs like $30 or whatever

the best part is that i started out simple with an arduino, a humidity sensor, and a wi-fi "shield" that just snaps on top. for the initial tests i made it send a http request to my server once every 5 miinutes

when I got the ~10 hours of battery life i was like "oh, well, the wifi is always on, i should put that to sleep" so i spent a bunch of time setting up this "deep sleep" mode on the wi-fi shield where the arduino could wake up the wi-fi stuff from its sleep, and made it so it only woke up once every 30 minutes. "this should make it last six times as long!"

but no, the arduino was the power hog the whole time. the battery life was barely any different.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wth do they call the addons shields?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Shaggar posted:

because it shields you from having to learn electronics

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ppp posted:

a msp430 is like five dollars and im pretty sure i read something that they made a newer revision of it and now its the most energy efficient microcontroller or something.

$4.30 for a kit that comes with two chips, a target board and a usb cable

and yeah the low power modes are their big selling point, it uses something on the scale of microamps in some cases

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
was the arduino itself sleeping?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

and yeah the low power modes are their big selling point, it uses something on the scale of microamps in some cases

how much for an assembled one with MAde in Italy on it and also stickers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well i guess we've settled it then, forth is the cool programming language for stuff

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Werthog posted:

sleep modes on the order of uamps aren't really a new thing wrt ucs

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
the really fast wakeup is nice tho

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shaggar posted:

for the same reason they call programs sketches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

sleep modes on the order of uamps aren't really a new thing wrt ucs

oh ok. it was my first time actually looking at current consumption so idfk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Werthog posted:

nobody in yospos is dumb enough that they can't use a real microcontroller instead of some lovely dev board loaded up with unnecessary poo poo that sucks power and leaves you with no room for your code. I only posted that gameduino poo poo because an accessible forth cpu seemed neat

its me i'm the guy wayyyyyyyy too dumb to use anything but an arduino but i don't do anything but sit at the wall and ponder the best way to cut my own brake lines

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jonny 290 posted:

its me i'm the guy wayyyyyyyy too dumb to use anything but an arduino but i don't do anything but sit at the wall and ponder the best way to cut my own brake lines

cmon, johnny, you just got promoted, don't be suicidal :ohdear:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lua ftw

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

ahhh spiders posted:

lua ftw

as someone who doesnt play wow i still have found no use for it

edit: love2d is cool but still

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ahhh spiders posted:

because it shields you from having to learn electronics

basically that. invert icabus could have just made a timer to turn the entire thing on for 2 minutes every half hour but, well, there were volts involved soooooo

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

not just volts, but amps too

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
ohmg

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

ahhh spiders posted:

lua ftw

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I can barely handle amps and volts but then you get to AC poo poo and there's frequencies and inductances and phases and jyfdjytdkuyewttsuted now I code java for money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I can barely handle amps and volts but then you get to AC poo poo and there's frequencies and inductances and phases and jyfdjytdkuyewttsuted now I code java for money

yeah once you get into PF and reactive power you're like :what:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ahhh spiders posted:

lua ftw

ive been doing interviewstreet challenges to learn how to do Real Programming Problems

for some reason, they have support for loving lua, but not javascript. i'm using python instead but still, what the gently caress? ugh.

e: also if anyone can give me hints on the "unfriendly numbers" challenge (not a solution obviously!! i aint no cheater) that'd be nice; i timed out on the last 3 test cases. it really sucks that they don't show you any details about the test cases :(

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 3, 2012

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah once you get into PF and reactive power you're like :what:

more like :watt:

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

ive been doing interviewstreet challenges to learn how to do Real Programming Problems

for some reason, they have support for loving lua, but not javascript. i'm using python instead but still, what the gently caress? ugh.

e: also if anyone can give me hints on the "unfriendly numbers" challenge (not a solution obviously!! i aint no cheater) that'd be nice; i timed out on the last 3 test cases. it really sucks that they don't show you any details about the test cases :(

javascript is gay

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

tbqh I would loving love to work with a good front-end dev and IMO if you need real programming on the client side you hosed up bad. Just want someone to worry about W3C poo poo and Ajax call my code to get the heavy lifting done

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Like if you can figure how to fill in an object and call $.ajax that's good enough for webs

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Like if you can figure how to fill in an object and call $.ajax that's good enough for webs

yeah well if it was good enough for real employment i'd probably have a job by now :v:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

tbqh I would loving love to work with a good front-end dev and IMO if you need real programming on the client side you hosed up bad. Just want someone to worry about W3C poo poo and Ajax call my code to get the heavy lifting done

lmao

yeah, just flop some text into a div. that's all the gui you need. heh. *adjusts belt*

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Anal Tributary posted:

yeah well if it was good enough for real employment i'd probably have a job by now :v:

hehehehe

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

rotor posted:

lmao

yeah, just flop some text into a div. that's all the gui you need. heh. *adjusts belt*

it's a time-honored tradition for front-end and back-end devs to think the other person's job is really easy

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Anal Tributary posted:

it's because javascript blows

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

do both and think both are real easy

being a master of your trade ftw

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
hey kid im not a computer - javascript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ahhh spiders posted:

it's because javascript blows

javascript is fine, it's browsers that suck

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if it's so easy why don't you do it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rotor posted:

javascript is fine, it's browsers that suck

javascript is a terrible language

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ahhh spiders posted:

javascript is a terrible language

nope, its fine

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ahhh spiders posted:

if it's so easy why don't you do it
cause I don't like HTML and CSS, at least not more than a once in a while break from more difficult tasks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

cause I don't like HTML and CSS, at least not more than a once in a while break from more difficult tasks

nice troll