Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Rickycat posted:

Charlie Chaplin sans 'stache:

You have impeccable taste. :golfclap: Charlie Chaplin as himself instead of the Little Tramp was a hottie beyond compare. Supposedly he was also a god in the sack, as well as an accomplished cellist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
If we're doing Charlie Chaplin without mustache, how about Yul Brynner with hair?

...some hair, anyway.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Brigitte Helm (of Metropolis fame, 1927) was a stunner.

She's absolutely mesmerizing in Metropolis (at the age of 21). She died in 1996. :allears:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Sir Edmund Barton, first Prime Minister of Australia. And used to be a professional cricket player.

:australia:

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Beardless posted:

Queen Elizabeth II was a babe when she was younger:

Her sister was too:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Smoking Crow posted:

Rosalind Franklin, scientist who had her work on the shape of DNA stolen by Watson and Crick, and my super nerdy science crush. :swoon:
Speaking of brilliant female scientists that no one pays attention to because of the patriarchy:

Cecilia Payne was the first to show the sun is mainly composed of hydrogen.

also...

Fred Hampton was a prominent member of the Black Panthers. His short life was ended when the police murdered him in his sleep in 1969.

Marusya Nikiforova fought as an anarchist for the black guard in Ukraine during the Russian Civil War in 1918. She died in battle against the Reds.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Young Anton Chekhov

(seated in the white coat)

:allears:

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
William I, Prince of Orange, a.k.a. William the Silent. Leader of the Dutch revolt against the Spanish and founder of the House of Orange-Nassau.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nancy Pelosi was downright adorable in her youth.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

magic pantaloons posted:

Is that Seth Rogen's relative?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Rickycat posted:

Is that Seth Rogen's relative?

Nah I don't think he's related to Jonah Hill.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

John Singer Sargent is one of my favourite artists. I discovered that he is also one of my father's favourite artists after we both found ourselves standing in front of this picture during a visit to the Scottish National. Only time I have heard the old man use the word "erotic".

Gentlemen, and sapphists, I give you Lady Agnew of Lochnaw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sugar Shack
Jul 23, 2007

You'll never get my $20 bill, ASSHOLE!
Edwin Booth

- Highly accomplished actor
- Brother of John Wilkes
- Saved Abe Lincoln's son from getting run over by a train
- Distant relative of Chris Meloni, maybe? Nope, but they totally look alike:

Also, World's Greatest Dad:

:3:

CmdrChicken
Jun 16, 2008

SEA PATROL!

Rasler posted:

He's the most handsome of the three, and was also the gayest, and the craziest, and the stupidest.

I'm honestly surprised his daughter isn't brought up more often:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

CmdrChicken posted:

I'm honestly surprised his daughter isn't brought up more often:

That's quite the pirate hat.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Here are some more Silent Movie stars.

Musidora

Don Alvarado

Elinor Fair
She was married to cowboy actor, William Boyd. While filming a scene for the DeMille film The Volga Boatman, Boyd's character professes his love for Fair's character. However, what audiences were not aware of (due to The Volga Boatman being a silent film) was that Boyd was actually proposing for real, and that Fair accepted in character and on screen.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Nancy Pelosi was downright adorable in her youth.

...is that Kennedy?

Did...did they...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

...is that Kennedy?

Did...did they...

Kennedy? Probably. I'm pretty sure if you were alive, attractive, and above 18 while he was around, you boinked JFK, or at least some Kennedy.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Kennedy? Probably. I'm pretty sure if you were alive, attractive, and above 18 while he was around, you boinked JFK, or at least some Kennedy.

poo poo, who wouldn't? If a Kennedy offers you a ride home, you say yes. Never fail, it'll be the ride of your life.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

This guy made his way across Greece and Persia, loving every hot person he met and betraying everyone who employed him. Also the hottest guy of his generation, according to Plato.

According to Plato, one of the biggest signs of Socrates' virtue was that he slept naked in the same bed with Alcibiadies and didn't gently caress him. Symposium has Alcibiades rather bitterly resenting the idea that Socrates didn't succumb to his beauty and charm.

Mr Shankly
Aug 4, 2008
A few of my favorites:

Farah Diba

I would certainly hope that the Shah was getting with a hottie, and I don't think Empress Farah disappoints. Her daughter in the second picture is good looking too, in my opinion.

Dolley Madison

Look at that rack. I think Dolley alone was better than all Jefferson's slave girls combined.

Mr Shankly has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Apr 26, 2012

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Robert Cornelius, one of the earliest portrait photographers, was smoking hot. Love the fashion, too.

Also Rudolph Valentino may be a bit of a cliche historical hottie, but he was definitely a looker

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....

Ned Kelly, the Bushranger, more a dapper rogue rather than badass without the beard or armour.

attackofthequasars
Aug 3, 2011

subject to change without notice
As far as hotties go, Greece had got it going from early on...

Ancient snake goddess from around 2000BCE.

Hypatia. Mathematician and philosopher.

Theodora. Started poor, became a prostitute, went on to become Empress of Byzantium and one of the most influential women of her time and got a sainthood.

And now, for some revolutionary guys!

Demetrios Ypsilantis

That is quite the mustache.

Theodoros Kolokotronis

Last but not least, Aris Velouchiotis, leader of the Greek People's Liberation Army.

(I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Florence yet!)

sourbugs
Nov 10, 2005
Mmm, I can't wait to eat that monkey.

attackofthequasars posted:

Theodora. Started poor, became a prostitute, went on to become Empress of Byzantium and one of the most influential women of her time and got a sainthood.

Wow, thanks for posting this, I've not heard much about Theodora before, and I've just been reading her and her husbands wiki entries and wow, what an amazing influential woman. Very inspiring, as is the love and support she and her husband shared.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

magic pantaloons posted:

Pre-Raphaelite Artists when they were younger

Dante Gabriel Rossetti

I love his artwork so much and am very pleased to know that he is really really hot.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

sourbugs posted:

Wow, thanks for posting this, I've not heard much about Theodora before, and I've just been reading her and her husbands wiki entries and wow, what an amazing influential woman. Very inspiring, as is the love and support she and her husband shared.

Worth noting that Procopius' history is pretty clearly slanted towards bashing the hell out of her and there's no real evidence that she was ever a prostitute. (She was an actress, and the actress/prostitute line was a bit blurry at the time) Taking Procopius at face value is a pretty dangerous move.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

CrunchyTaco posted:

poo poo, who wouldn't? If a Kennedy offers you a ride home, you say yes. Never fail, it'll be the ride of your life.

Or your death.

To contribute, another silent film star.

Nils Asther

http://www.goldensilents.com/stars/nilsasther.html

I thought Charlie Chaplin was dreamy too. There are several more, but alas I don't know their names. :(

I saw a silent movie late one night that was filmed in India I think around 1928 and the guy was gorgeous. Wish I could remember the name! It was a good movie, too, with great filming and musical score.

From later years - Paul Newman :swoon: He was smokin hot from youth to old age.

http://paulnewman.com/

mombot has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Apr 27, 2012

sourbugs
Nov 10, 2005
Mmm, I can't wait to eat that monkey.

Patter Song posted:

Worth noting that Procopius' history is pretty clearly slanted towards bashing the hell out of her and there's no real evidence that she was ever a prostitute. (She was an actress, and the actress/prostitute line was a bit blurry at the time) Taking Procopius at face value is a pretty dangerous move.

It did mention that. Regardless of the prostitute thing though,be it true or not, still an interesting woman.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Five pages in and I haven't seen Betty Page yet!
Scurrilous!

:nws: for nudey nudes.
http://bettie-collectors.com/Excal/main-index/booksdedicated/isotfbp/index.htm

Edit; Hubba freakin' hubba!
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/yyQYz.gif:nws:

I has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Apr 27, 2012

attackofthequasars
Aug 3, 2011

subject to change without notice

Patter Song posted:

You are correct. The line was blurred and the whole prostitute to saint thing is just an interesting narrative. It's pretty catchy though, if you want to entice someone into reading up on some history. You win a Laskarina Bouboulina (naval commander and heroine of the War of Independence)!

attackofthequasars has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Apr 27, 2012

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!
As far as art is concerned, whoever modeled for Bernini's David was unbelievably hot.

Reminds me a tiny bit of a young Clint Eastwood, who I'm surprised hasn't been posted yet.

Speaking of great works of sculpture, Caesar Augustus wasn't bad either:

And as far as actual artists are concerned, I think Eugčne Delacroix was pretty dreamy.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Saladin

Saladin played by Ghassan Masoud in the movie Kingdom of Heaven

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I showed my girlfriend the picture of Young Nixon, and her response was "Ooh, that's the cutest one yet." Then I told her who he was and she went "Aaaaaagh! I'm so conflicted!"

And I just realized I spent half an hour looking at this thread and My Daguerrotype Boyfriend, sharing hot men with my girlfriend. :gay:

Lt. Marmalade
Feb 15, 2012

She's opening a portal to hell!
Let's go to McDonald's.
Romantic painter J.M.W. Turner.

Here's a self-portrait from his younger days.:allears:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lots of photos incoming. The theme is Forgotten Hotties of the Silver Screen.

John Barrymore (Drew Barrymore's grandfather)

Pauline Frederick

Adolphe Menjou (that dapper moustache :3:)

Glenn Langan (you'll never guess who he grew up to be MST3K's Amazing Colossal Man)

Tilly Losch

Gilbert Roland

My favorite actress of the 1930s-40s, Frances Dee:

This was Frances with her husband, actor Joel McCrea, pretty hot stuff himself...

They were married for 57 years. :3:

Less forgotten but still hot:

Tyrone Power

Carole Lombard

And he's been posted in this thread before but that's no reason not to include more pictures of the handsomest devil --

~*Errol Flynn*~ :allears::swoon::shlick:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Lots of photos incoming. The theme is Forgotten Hotties of the Silver Screen.

Gilbert Roland
T... Timothy Dalton!?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought the same thing! I'm surprised Gilbert Roland isn't more remembered today -- his film credits stretch from 1923 to 1982, and he was so super handsome. (No one reading this will ever look that good in a fedora.) He was also Mexican, his real name being Luis Antonio Dámaso de Alonso. :mexico:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Lord Byron

Oscar Wilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still think I'm looking at Stephen Fry first every time I see a picture of Oscar. Every single time.

• Locked thread