Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BexGu posted:

How is a game this boring so fun to read about?

Its like reading a blog written by a super villian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BexGu posted:

How is a game this boring so fun to read about?

As someone who sat in Empire (PVP restricted) space for 2 years and then joined up with a Goon friendly alliance: Playing EVE in safe space is doing it wrong. Just...No. Don't do it. Sign up, get into Goonwaffe, and get free stuff for being a cute newbie.

Yes there are dull time wasting moments where no fights happen or you're just doing mind numbing stuff like shooting NPCs but when you end up in a 250 vs 250 fight with ships exploding left & right it's AWESOME. Plus you really can get away with being a giant rear end to everyone else in the game as the developers really are pro-grief.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Giggily posted:

This already exists, it's called the official EVE forums.

There should just be a separate Goldmine. It could be called the Foundry because it's for meltdowns. :)

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Doctor Dogballs posted:

There was a smash brothers tournament here yesterday (n64.) Obviously I only play kirby, suck people up, fly them out over the edge, drop them, fly back. Every life. Every match. All night.

This can be even funnier if you know how the game handles people dying. In a nutshell if you die with somebody in your mouth they get credited for dying first so anytime you're fighting someone with only one life left as Kirby you can go all out trying to suck them in and then suicide into a pit. The amount of rage this can cause is unbelievable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's like the MMORPG equivalent of Dwarf Fortress. Only accessible by a few people, but the most amazing stories come out of it. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Giggily posted:

Right now Goonswarm and their allies control something like 90% of the game's supply of some resource needed to build mining ships. They also have a campaign going that's led to the destruction of around 1500~ish of these ships in the last two days. So either they can starve everyone else of a supply of these resources, sell them for inflated prices, or laugh as they pay 120% market value to get them anyways. I believe their resource is also vital to the construction of almost any advanced item in the game.

So yeah, the economy probably won't collapse, but they're certainly doing a great job in loving with it.

Can't people just fly off and find new areas to explore? I mean it's space, right? Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning and all that poo poo.

What stops the devs from deciding to spawn floating space debris rich in those minerals somewhere else?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It sounds like the devs created the conditions for the current situation to begin with and are more than thrilled with the results. Why would they undo their own work?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can't people just fly off and find new areas to explore? I mean it's space, right? Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning and all that poo poo.

What stops the devs from deciding to spawn floating space debris rich in those minerals somewhere else?

Systems themselves have to actually exist, because it's a game. You can't go find undiscovered space. On top of that, if you leave the relative safety of Empire to "escape", that means you're on your own for defense. If you couldn't defend yourself in the area where godless killing machines are on your side to protect you when you get ganked, then odds are good you're going to get your poo poo wrecked entirely when you go to null sec or go find a wormhole to hold up in.

In this particular case, the main reason they can't just fly off is because Jita is the trade hub of the entire game. Commerce flows to it and through it, and if you've locked down the space around Jita, it doesn't matter if you can get your minerals somewhere else. Because the marketplace you were going to sell them on is a kill zone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Burn Jita is cool, but Jihadswarm's graveyard bombing is still my favorite Goonswarm grief.

quote:

Unfortunately, the cemetery also attracted the attention of Karttoon, leader of JihadSwarm; “I ordered JihadSwarm to destroy the Cemetery in order to set free the desecrated and defiled bodies, stolen and trapped in mass graves to be put on display and gawked at as personal possessions of a vile woman. The deceased must be buried on planets, wrapped in our ritual shroud, and positioned to face in the direction of the temple of Qu’Lah." [Sesfan Qu'Lah was a revered GoonSwarm CEO -ed.].

"GoonSwarm believes in freedom of religion, as long it is righteous. I doubt any of the “tenants” had the opportunity to state their beliefs before they were dragged into this prison. It is my duty as leader of JihadSwarm to enforce the moral standards of the one true god.”

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Zaodai posted:

If you couldn't defend yourself in the area where godless killing machines are on your side to protect you when you get ganked, then odds are good you're going to get your poo poo wrecked entirely when you go to null sec or go find a wormhole to hold up in.

Well, to be fair, most people aren't expecting to be attacked in highsec, so they tend to fly whatever they feel like instead of their warships.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Gorilla Salad posted:

The devs mentioned this might be the route they take in a presentation at the recent fanfest.

I find it amusing that while I'm typing this I glanced over at Goon Jabber and this very topic is being discussed.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Star wars Galaxies was rather fun to harass people. In the end times ( the last update that killed the game know as the NGE)

they did a treasure map revamp. treasure maps were disk you looted from high level npcs. when you opened said maps it would spawn 8-10 elite dark jedi and a loot chest.

Well it came to my attention the disk were bugged and you could spawn them any where. naturally i went to the most populated star port on the server and opened something like 15 treasure maps dead center of the starport and one in the cloning facility.

Hilarity ensued.. and to top it off after they managed to clear the starport of all the npcs i was able to loot all the chests

iamthehans fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 3, 2012

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

bucketmouse posted:

This can be even funnier if you know how the game handles people dying. In a nutshell if you die with somebody in your mouth they get credited for dying first so anytime you're fighting someone with only one life left as Kirby you can go all out trying to suck them in and then suicide into a pit. The amount of rage this can cause is unbelievable.

Why do it with kirby when you can do it with the character regarded as the worst in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmK_JHvyYc

The guy does seem even more impressive "suicides" later on in the video.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

duffath posted:

Why do it with kirby when you can do it with the character regarded as the worst in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmK_JHvyYc

The guy does seem even more impressive "suicides" later on in the video.

Those graphics look really good for an N64 game!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tardcore posted:

One of my favorite griefs in WoW was to turn on PVP in the Sunwell Isle quest zone back in late BC and stand on top of one of the quest givers. I played a tauren, the biggest race in the game, so I pretty much covered the entire quest giver and kept spinning in circles so the opposing faction members could never get a good spot to click on him from under me. It was great, whenever one of them tried to click him they'd attack me which would piss off these super powerful guards that would proceed to paste them in 1 shot. So many angry tells those days :allears:.
This was also fun to do as a bloodelf rogue(bloodelves had pretty slender character models, harder to see when stealthed.)
I'd stand directly in front of the opposing faction's quest giver, hit stealth and just start dancing in front of them. Stealth in wow only works up to a point, if someone is standing right next to you, they'll see you regardless if they're close to your level.
So enemy players would come up to turn in the quest(the questgiver being on a boat, near the shore), only to click on me without realizing it, which would have the effect of them initiating combat, resulting in them being fired at by 4 guards, all with knockback, and they would be thrown into the air or start skipping across the water before dying in midair.
the amount of angry alliance characters yelling at me after running back to their corpses was precious, especially if they did it again after dying.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

I'm surprised Street Fighter X Tekken hasn't shown up in this thread yet.

So the game comes out and it has 3 PS3-exclusive characters: megaman, pacman and sony's Japanese cat mascot. It takes the FGC roughly 4 days to figure out that these characters were shoehorned in at the last minute and not playtested at all.

Cue matches turning into this. How many bugs can you spot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

bucketmouse posted:

So the game comes out and it has 3 PS3-exclusive characters: megaman, pacman and sony's Japanese cat mascot. It takes the FGC roughly 4 days to figure out that these characters were shoehorned in at the last minute and not playtested at all.

Holy poo poo :stare: that looks positively unplayable. How the hell do you rush something like that with no testing at all? I love how megaman just sort of floats up, forever whenever he does anything.

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 3, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

bucketmouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs

Add "punched to death by a cat" to the list of undignified ways to die.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Admittedly that's a reel of all the bugs/overpowered moves/glitches strung together, but any of those can ruin a match. It's excusable for them to overlook a few of them maybe, but not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGRUJ_x1oQ

Behold high-level pacman strategy. Move A combos into move B which combos into move A. Repeat until you hit the 99-hit combo cap.

E: neat, glad those actually got fixed, I haven't paid any attention to it since right after launch.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 4, 2012

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

Admittedly that's a reel of all the bugs/overpowered moves/glitches strung together, but any of those can ruin a match. It's excusable for them to overlook a few of them maybe, but not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGRUJ_x1oQ

Behold high-level pacman strategy. Move A combos into move B which combos into move A. Repeat until you hit the 99-hit combo cap.

Most of those were just patched out the other day including cross-system issues like Kazuya's reset standing infinite.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Well, to be fair, most people aren't expecting to be attacked in highsec, so they tend to fly whatever they feel like instead of their warships.

True, but if you're going to suddenly flee high-sec, odds are good you don't have the economy or experience needed to fight a real war, and you're going to have to move all your poo poo out of high-sec which involves taking ships even less viable for war through the kill zone that is the entire reason you're moving in the first place. And you still end up somewhere with significantly less defenses when you arrive.

It's the space equivalent of being a civilian in occupied France during WWII. You don't like the Nazis being all up in your poo poo, so you load all your remaining possessions on a slow, rickety horse-drawn wagon and then flee into the heart of Germany. It gets you away from your current situation, but it doesn't send you anywhere better and you're heading directly into the waiting hands of your enemy.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
Let me tell you about Salem. Salem is an MMO by the same development team as the griefer favorite Haven and Hearth, and is in its current state a 3D clone of their last game. The closed beta began a week and a half ago and, with no NDA, you can hear all about our pubbie destroying adventures in its own thread.

Salem is a really beta game, that has had bugs like "if you walk into a cliff everyone around you crashes" and "making too much sound causes the server to crash" and, most importantly, "swords will kill anything in two hits."

We took advantage of that last one and killed one of the lead developers.

This game has permadeath but he reset his character.

He was a pretty good sport about it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tardcore posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: that looks positively unplayable. How the hell do you rush something like that with no testing at all? I love how megaman just sort of floats up, forever whenever he does anything.
Guess how much Capcom will charge for the fixed edition, with no upgrade available for existing customers? I realize server-side XML has sort of mitigated this but anyone who buys the first or second edition of a Capcom game these days is a fool.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's the next step on this Eve thing? Are they just going to gouge everyone on this material they control or they going to hoard it so no one can buy any ships?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's the next step on this Eve thing? Are they just going to gouge everyone on this material they control or they going to hoard it so no one can buy any ships?

People would eventually get more resources. You couldn't lock them out forever. If you gouge them, you make them pay for the privlege of getting their teeth kicked in by you. Otherwise, you're kicking their teeth in and other pubbies are reaping the rewards. Can't have that.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dr_Amazing posted:

Our Dear Goon Leader wrote a column about this, actually: http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/spymaster/78

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
They'll always gouge, so they can have the space bux to do other game-bending things. They needed money to wage their wars, they needed money to host their hulkagedons, and they needed money to burn jita. As long as they turn a profit every step of the way, they can keep griefing pubbies in bigger and bigger ways.

It all runs the griefing-industrial complex.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

They'll always gouge, so they can have the space bux to do other game-bending things. They needed money to wage their wars, they needed money to host their hulkagedons, and they needed money to burn jita. As long as they turn a profit every step of the way, they can keep griefing pubbies in bigger and bigger ways.

It all runs the griefing-industrial complex.

The best thing about it is that they only care about the money as a fun-enabling device. Taking money is fun, spending it is fun, and watching others lose it is fun. Combine the three in as many ways as you can and the fun increases exponentially. The only financial issues I've heard from the Swarm is the one time the bills didn't get paid.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PokeWarVeteran posted:

The best thing about it is that they only care about the money as a fun-enabling device. Taking money is fun, spending it is fun, and watching others lose it is fun. Combine the three in as many ways as you can and the fun increases exponentially. The only financial issues I've heard from the Swarm is the one time the bills didn't get paid.

For the uninitiated: Goonswarm collapsed because all the money was in the wrong account, so they lost literally all of their territory overnight when the corporation was deleted. This happened because none of the people running the corp had logged on in months. Greatest moment of the swarm, or the swarm's greatest moment?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

For the uninitiated: Goonswarm collapsed because all the money was in the wrong account, so they lost literally all of their territory overnight when the corporation was deleted. This happened because none of the people running the corp had logged on in months. Greatest moment of the swarm, or the swarm's greatest moment?

Another source of Fun.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose to stir up some action. After all, why wouldn't the trolls troll themselves and each other on occasion?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would love to watch a series or movie ala Serenity but instead of Reavers its Goonswarm and it follows the trials of either a down-on-his-luck miner that gets swept into Goonswarm and has to participate in the burning of Jita OR from the point of view of a hot-shot pilot for a "good guys" defense corp and how Goonswarm fucks his poo poo up and just when the good guys are about to win.......suicide goonswarmers WIN.

I'd pay to see that. Make it happen, DVD and Bluray.

SiteMeister
Mar 29, 2010

BexGu posted:

poo poo, The Mittani even writes like a Machiavelli Prince on his reasons for guiding GoonSwarm in its actions:

That's because he's an egomaniac.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Jastiger posted:

I would love to watch a series or movie ala Serenity but instead of Reavers its Goonswarm and it follows the trials of either a down-on-his-luck miner that gets swept into Goonswarm and has to participate in the burning of Jita OR from the point of view of a hot-shot pilot for a "good guys" defense corp and how Goonswarm fucks his poo poo up and just when the good guys are about to win.......suicide goonswarmers WIN.

I'd pay to see that. Make it happen, DVD and Bluray.

Include a scene where our protagonist is turned away by Goonfleet recruitment, but a sympathetic goon sponsors him in exchange for the security fee. He has initial reservations, then pays--and he's off for a whirlwind of adventure and sponsored suicide bombing.

It'll pay for itself.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

The alliance leader went fuckgoons, and it brought Mittani back as our CEO and ever since then Goonswarm has been on the path to glory.

We're REALLY overdue for another :downs: moment in which we simultaneously lose all of our space, capitals/supers, and our allies.

It will be the best day ever.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's not entirely the case from what I remember, CCP changed the way that the sov cash was taken and as a result we lost sov; along with a bunch of other alliances including our Russian friends (Red Alliance maybe? It's been forever). It ended up being that the change in which wallet the cash was taken from was halfway down a long list of patch notes.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
This Eve Online economic warfare is surprisingly fascinating to read about for a game I have never and will never play, but I'm confused about one thing. I think I'm missing something in the org chart, because I can't see how Goonswarm stands to gain financially from this.

1) Goonswarm nukes a bunch of poo poo that requires technetium, halts trade, and subsequently further bankrolls destruction of technetium miners
2) A cartel made up of CFC, NCdot, Ev0ke, and PL will sell you some technetium...at predictably jacked up cartel prices
3) ...goonswarm congratulates the cartel on their newfound money?

But the article just linked said that technetium sales line the pockets of those bankrolling the gankers, so there's a step missing here. What I think is the case is that one or more of those four memebers of the cartel are connected to goonswarm somehow, but some cursory googling doesn't revel much.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

DMBFan23 posted:

What I think is the case is that one or more of those four memebers of the cartel are connected to goonswarm somehow, but some cursory googling doesn't revel much.
Goonswarm is the biggest alliance in the CFC.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

DMBFan23 posted:

This Eve Online economic warfare is surprisingly fascinating to read about for a game I have never and will never play, but I'm confused about one thing. I think I'm missing something in the org chart, because I can't see how Goonswarm stands to gain financially from this.

1) Goonswarm nukes a bunch of poo poo that requires technetium, halts trade, and subsequently further bankrolls destruction of technetium miners
2) A cartel made up of CFC, NCdot, Ev0ke, and PL will sell you some technetium...at predictably jacked up cartel prices
3) ...goonswarm congratulates the cartel on their newfound money?

But the article just linked said that technetium sales line the pockets of those bankrolling the gankers, so there's a step missing here. What I think is the case is that one or more of those four memebers of the cartel are connected to goonswarm somehow, but some cursory googling doesn't revel much.
Your mistake is at Step 1. The people Goonswarm blow up are not Technetium miners. They're asteroid miners providing the basic minerals for Tech 1 (basic) types of ships. Technetium is mined by player-owned stations at moons in nullsec and lowsec. The ships being destroyed are almost universally Tech 2, which needs the moon minerals to be completed. As an example, it's been estimated that 70% of the cost of producing a Hulk (the preferred mining vessel) is from the technetium cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wasn't that pretty much what happened to BoB? How did Goonswarm manage to survive losing everything?

• Locked thread