Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Robert Denby posted:

Yes it did. If I recall there were many, many more.

Tell me this is real, because it's absolutely brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

But Nesbø published his first book eight years before Larsson did.

But someone outside Sweden read Larsson's first book eight years before Nesbo's. (Minor exaggeration there, BTW.)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Robert Denby posted:

If it gets more teenagers to read Wuthering Heights I'm totally okay with this. :colbert:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Tell me this is real, because it's absolutely brilliant.

It totally is. They made one for each of Bella's favorite novels or something.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Benne posted:

If it gets more teenagers to read Wuthering Heights I'm totally okay with this. :colbert:

Sure, but then they'll completely misinterpret it and see Heathcliff and Catherine as heroic, exemplary protagonists rather than selfish, destructive assholes. If you're going to miss the point that badly, you might as well not read it in the first place.

Teenagers. :argh:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Sure, but then they'll completely misinterpret it and see Heathcliff and Catherine as heroic, exemplary protagonists rather than selfish, destructive assholes. If you're going to miss the point that badly, you might as well not read it in the first place.

Teenagers. :argh:

Interestingly, Heathcliff, Edgar and Catherine have a very similar relationship to Edward, Jacob and Bella. It's worth some further analysis.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

scary ghost dog posted:

Interestingly, Heathcliff, Edgar and Catherine have a very similar relationship to Edward, Jacob and Bella. It's worth some further analysis.

I think that's the point, it's straightforward source material. Now, the way those covers blur the fictive line while simultaneously offering a kind of inverted commentary on the works' cultural status, that's fascinating.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
As has been said, if it gets teens to read classic novels I think it's great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Speaking of Wuthering Heights, has anyone checked out Andrea Arnold's adaptation of the film yet? It's wonderful.

Sadly, the DVD case is a bit lazy:

I guess it's supposed to look like Catherine and Heathcliff are standing in the tall grass? But the photoshop artist didn't want to do any tricky masking and just had them fade out around the waist...

The theatrical poster doesn't have any photoshop disasters, but it's still somewhat bland:

This is all especially unfortunate because not only does the film itself have loads of incredibly arresting imagery that could have been used, but set photographer Agatha Nitecka work is also unusually lovely and could have been used to great effect.

Oh well, maybe some of that will get put to use for the American theatrical campaign...

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 3, 2012

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Meyer's other book The Host:

The Bible:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bugblatter posted:

The theatrical poster doesn't have any photoshop disasters, but it's still somewhat bland:

This is all especially unfortunate because not only does the film itself have loads of incredibly arresting imagery that could have been used, but set photographer Agatha Nitecka work is also unusually lovely and could have been used to great effect.

Oh well, maybe some of that will get put to use for the American theatrical campaign...

My favourite movie, Love Is A Force of Nature.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

AndyP posted:

The Bible:

I spent a good few seconds trying to work out which woman of the bible would have had eyebrow piercings.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I first saw this in thumbnail mode and was absolutely amazed the Jonas Brothers played in an action/thriller movie. Very very disappointed.

wheatpuppy posted:

I spent a good few seconds trying to work out which woman of the bible would have had eyebrow piercings.

There is no loving way this real. I refuse to believe that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

There is no loving way this real. I refuse to believe that.

Who would expect Christians to ape pop-culture in embarrassing ways in the hope of appearing hip enough to entice impressionable youth into joining their club?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Bugblatter posted:

Who would expect Christians to ape pop-culture in embarrassing ways in the hope of appearing hip enough to entice impressionable youth into joining their club?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jesus is notorious for his unapolegetic spawncamping.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gonz posted:

The other way around, surely.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Speaking of Wuthering Heights, has anyone checked out Andrea Arnold's adaptation of the film yet? It's wonderful.

Sadly, the DVD case is a bit lazy:

Ha they missed a letter off of James Howson's name. Is it like that on the actual box or just the promo image?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Noxville posted:

Ha they missed a letter off of James Howson's name. Is it like that on the actual box or just the promo image?

Holy poo poo. Yeah, that's the box alright.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Gonz posted:

Whereas Judas is an inveterate team-killer. Joke stolen from Penny Arcade.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Noxville posted:

Really, how so? :v:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

:pwn:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Why is that bird rolling it's eyes?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Gonz posted:

Why is that bird rolling it's eyes?

Gosh...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
HAH!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sarcasm Bird doesn't care if you see this movie....

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hahaha, that's brilliant and terrible.

Now is it me or does something seem off with Xzibits body/head?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zenintrude posted:

:pwn:

I appreciate what they attempted to do here but man did they gently caress it up.

The movie looks rad though.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I appreciate what they attempted to do here but man did they gently caress it up.

I agree. It's a cool idea but at first glance it seems like they were trying way too hard. Maybe it would have worked better if it weren't realistic but some simpler art style. At least then the human eye on the bird might not look as out of place.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I actually like it. But maybe that is because the eye on the bird reminds me of Tool.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vintersorg posted:

That's honestly just how Xzibit looks all the time :\

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Sockser posted:

He always has the facial expression of a man desperately trying to see one of those magic eye images but just cant do it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Am I just missing it or has there ever been a trailer thread?

We just finished three trailers in three days and after many 12 hour days in a row this past week or so I'd love to post them. I don't, however, want to create a thread for each film.

Am I missing it?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

kiimo posted:

Am I just missing it or has there ever been a trailer thread?

Never. I requested one back in January. Please post one.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I am all for a trailer thread and am a little surprised that I never noticed the absence of one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay, I don't really have time to create a thread and make it good by inserting the appropriate amount of witticism so I'll do so in the next couple of days if nobody else does.

I also need to wait a bit as our trailers are in finishing at the moment and haven't debuted yet.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

kiimo posted:

Okay, I don't really have time to create a thread and make it good by inserting the appropriate amount of witticism so I'll do so in the next couple of days if nobody else does.

I also need to wait a bit as our trailers are in finishing at the moment and haven't debuted yet.

If ayone did it, I'd be very happy if it was you.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Sockser posted:

He's angry there's no posters in that poster.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vintersorg posted:

Guy to the right of Xzibit looks like he's suffered a minor stroke just before this movie. I hope he makes it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/movies-starring-jimmy-fallon-and-amy-poehler-that