Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

I'm thinking if the spec rumors of the Droid Razr HD are correct, it's going to be truly special phone.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/htc-one-x-for-att-review/3

Take a look at the AT&T one X. The S4 is looking like a remarkable chipset for battery life. The One X is either just slightly beind the Razr Maxx and even exceeding it in a few areas.

This is despite having a battery half the size.

Now, the Razr HD is also supposed to have the S4 chipset as well as the 3300mAh battery of the MAXX.

It is possible we may end up with a phone with nearly double the battery life of the Razr MAXX.
I don't think the HD battery is going to be as big as the MAXX, somewhere in between the regular Razr and the Maxx which would still be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dominator posted:

I don't think the HD battery is going to be as big as the MAXX, somewhere in between the regular Razr and the Maxx which would still be pretty good.

All current leaked information indicates the following as the Razr HD specs.

1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, on-screen navigation keys, 4.6″ HD display, 3300mAh battery (just like the MAXX), 12MP or 13MP camera, 4G LTE

I think Motorola has realized that battery life has been a much bigger hit than thinness right now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The 4.6" screen would give the body enough width/height to thin out the battery a bit, potentially making the HD a touch trimmer than the MAXX.

More likely, they'll just use the exact same battery, so it will be the same thickness, which isn't bad to begin with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

The 4.6" screen would give the body enough width/height to thin out the battery a bit, potentially making the HD a touch trimmer than the MAXX.

More likely, they'll just use the exact same battery, so it will be the same thickness, which isn't bad to begin with.

The outer casing of the phone will likely be the same as the current Razrs or pretty close. It may be going from 4.3" to 4.6", but it's also losing the capacitance buttons. So the final size should end up being a wash.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm glad Android phone manufacturers have finally figured out that people actually want to be able to use their smartphone like a smartphone and not have to go running to a charger by 4PM.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I think Motorola has realized that battery life has been a much bigger hit than thinness right now.

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Razr Maxx.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the Razrs aren't thin. They're so thin it's a complete non-issue, if they were any thinner I feel like I'd hurt my hand on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vertigus posted:

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Razr Maxx.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the Razrs aren't thin. They're so thin it's a complete non-issue, if they were any thinner I feel like I'd hurt my hand on it.

Well, compared to the regular Razr, it's just slightly thicker.

But yes, even the Razr MAXX is a thin phone, but it seems like some manufacturers are trying to go as thin as possible against everything else.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The fact that 3300 mAh is even physically loving possible in the RAZR Maxx's chassis is basically amazing. The idea that there'd be some pigheaded dispute about the phone not having that battery in the interest of it being a tiny obnoxious amount thinner is sort of mindblowing.

Maybe I read too much internet, but I haven't seen or heard a single opinion where someone prefers the regular RAZR over the Maxx.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just another form of the megapixel race. Everyone wants to market the "thinnest" phone.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kalibar posted:

The fact that 3300 mAh is even physically loving possible in the RAZR Maxx's chassis is basically amazing. The idea that there'd be some pigheaded dispute about the phone not having that battery in the interest of it being a tiny obnoxious amount thinner is sort of mindblowing.

Maybe I read too much internet, but I haven't seen or heard a single opinion where someone prefers the regular RAZR over the Maxx.

Actually if you read up on how the phone performs (by comparing the new HTC phone to the Razr Maxx) you see that about the only time the big rear end battery shines is call time. When it comes to everything else the OneX actually lasts a whole loving lot longer doing basically anything else due to die shrink + better chips inside.

TLDR: bigger battery means nothing. better engineering means a lot.

In essence, it sounds great, and it's nice to have them do a battery of that mwh inside a phone - and represents a step forward for batteries, it's not a step forward for the phone as a whole. put a 3300mah into a onex? then you'd be looking at what we all kinda expect - 2-3 + days on the phone easily.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Actually if you read up on how the phone performs (by comparing the new HTC phone to the Razr Maxx) you see that about the only time the big rear end battery shines is call time. When it comes to everything else the OneX actually lasts a whole loving lot longer doing basically anything else due to die shrink + better chips inside.

TLDR: bigger battery means nothing. better engineering means a lot.

In essence, it sounds great, and it's nice to have them do a battery of that mwh inside a phone - and represents a step forward for batteries, it's not a step forward for the phone as a whole. put a 3300mah into a onex? then you'd be looking at what we all kinda expect - 2-3 + days on the phone easily.

Well, yeah. That's why it's time to get excited about the Razr HD since it will be sharing the same chipset as the One X.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

bulbous nub posted:

After all of this talk about how terrible the GNex is, I'm really starting to regret my purchase which hasn't even gotten here yet :(

Why was the 4.0.4 update pulled, was there ever an answer on that or not because it was unofficial?

I guess another question I have is whether it's worth it to install the leaked 4.0.4 when I get my phone on Friday.

Edit: I guess while I'm here I can share how awesome Verizon customer service was last night. Ever since starting my new job, I get piss poor 3G service on my floor, rendering my iPhone pretty much useless unless I wanted to wait 4 minutes to download the daily NewEgg email over 2 bars of 1x. I called in to see if there was any possibility of getting an early upgrade on one of my lines and using it for a new Galaxy Nexus. I got someone who couldn't have been more helpful. I explain the whole situation to her and she actually got a supervisor override for an 8 month early upgrade on my MiFi line and let me use it to replace my iPhone. I was impressed.

How did you manage this? My Droid X has really been limping along the last few months, and the GPS died last week. My scheduled early upgrade window starts in August, and last time I asked about an upgrade prior to that it was a pretty flat "no."

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
Any news/traction on Voice over LTE?

Last I heard out of Verizon was the LG booth at MWC in 2011 and a brief bit on a possible 2013 hard launch.

It appears that the MSM8960 chipset seems to "support" it, though the fallback is on HSPA/GSM and not CDMA. Further, I wonder how will this be implemented with Google Voice, i.e. outbound calling, AMR-WB/VoLTE/Whatever -> Google Voice -> Reversion to Land-line quality -> receiver.

My garbled conversations - which is certainly a function of signal quality as much as codec - are driving me a bit crazy, lately.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

bull3964 posted:

Well, yeah. That's why it's time to get excited about the Razr HD since it will be sharing the same chipset as the One X.

Don't get excited about anything Motorola, they find a way to make absolute poo poo handsets.

Don't be surprised if you see an RGBW HD layout

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

AppleCobbler posted:

Don't get excited about anything Motorola, they find a way to make absolute poo poo handsets.

Don't be surprised if you see an RGBW HD layout

Really 'cause my Razr is doing fine - how's the nexus doing?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If I gift a used Verizon iPhone 4 to someone using an old Droid 2 on Verizon will it change their plan/data or whatnot? What do I need to do to transfer it to them, given there's no SIM to swap?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cardboard Box A posted:

If I gift a used Verizon iPhone 4 to someone using an old Droid 2 on Verizon will it change their plan/data or whatnot?
Nope, nothing will change. Androids and iPhones use the same data plan, and since it's not a subsidized phone there's no contract extension.

quote:

What do I need to do to transfer it to them, given there's no SIM to swap?
You do nothing (I assume 'used' means it's not currently activated on your plan). They just activate it -- although I'm not sure if dialing *228 and choosing option 1 (the usual way to activate a Verizon phone) will work with an iPhone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nope, nothing will change. Androids and iPhones use the same data plan, and since it's not a subsidized phone there's no contract extension.
You do nothing (I assume 'used' means it's not currently activated on your plan). They just activate it -- although I'm not sure if dialing *228 and choosing option 1 (the usual way to activate a Verizon phone) will work with an iPhone.

*228[99] does not work, the ESN must be entered on the account and then the phone factory data reset (erase all content and settings)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The phone is all factory reset already, basically can I just show them how to press something and it will work or will I have to contact Verizon on their behalf/they have to contact Verizon first? By "the ESN must be entered on the account" I assume it's the latter?

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Did anyone install the official 4.0.4? Did it fix the service drop issues? Just curious if it's worth switching to from the leaked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rye Bread posted:

Did anyone install the official 4.0.4? Did it fix the service drop issues? Just curious if it's worth switching to from the leaked.

I haven't really noticed any difference in anything between IMM30B and IMM76K. If anything, I'm seeing more wake locks.

It's possible the radios fix some things in edge cases so it might be worthwhile to flash back to 4.0.2 radios and then flash these newest ones, but I wouldn't go through the effort of wiping and putting IMM76K on the phone until it is confirmed that it's going out for real.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

The phone is all factory reset already, basically can I just show them how to press something and it will work or will I have to contact Verizon on their behalf/they have to contact Verizon first? By "the ESN must be entered on the account" I assume it's the latter?

The account manager should be able to manually enter the ESN on their account through the website, which should eliminate the need to call Verizon before doing a *228.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

SeaborneClink posted:

*228[99] does not work, the ESN must be entered on the account and then the phone factory data reset (erase all content and settings)

You can also just do "Reset Network Settings" for a quicker way to reactivate that won't remove any information from the iPhone.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

bull3964 posted:

I haven't really noticed any difference in anything between IMM30B and IMM76K. If anything, I'm seeing more wake locks.

It's possible the radios fix some things in edge cases so it might be worthwhile to flash back to 4.0.2 radios and then flash these newest ones, but I wouldn't go through the effort of wiping and putting IMM76K on the phone until it is confirmed that it's going out for real.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll hold off for now. It's really the only issue I have with the phone.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Weird, just noticed that Verizon.com is offering me the full upgrade discount price on a new phone even though my early upgrade window should start until August. Is there some kind of promotion running right now?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

stormrider posted:

Weird, just noticed that Verizon.com is offering me the full upgrade discount price on a new phone even though my early upgrade window should start until August. Is there some kind of promotion running right now?

Currently, some customers are eligible to upgrade into 4G smartphones early.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

SpacedOut posted:

Currently, some customers are eligible to upgrade into 4G smartphones early.

Awesome. Question, do you have to be on a Verizon network to activate a new phone? I'm in Alaska for at least a few more months. Roams on ACS Alaska, which counts as an "Extended Network" (I've never been billed fees or anything). To get phone updates I've always had to switch the network to "Home Only," and then connect via w-fi.

A few years back I had an issue with a T-Mo phone that couldn't activate until I was actually on a T-Mo tower.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

stormrider posted:

Awesome. Question, do you have to be on a Verizon network to activate a new phone? I'm in Alaska for at least a few more months. Roams on ACS Alaska, which counts as an "Extended Network" (I've never been billed fees or anything). To get phone updates I've always had to switch the network to "Home Only," and then connect via w-fi.

A few years back I had an issue with a T-Mo phone that couldn't activate until I was actually on a T-Mo tower.

Probably for the 3G phones, 99% sure you will with any LTE phone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Penguissimo posted:

The account manager should be able to manually enter the ESN on their account through the website, which should eliminate the need to call Verizon before doing a *228.
Thank you very much. That is what i needed to know!

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

stormrider posted:

Like SeaborneClink said, I don't think a 4G device will activate on an extended network, since they're SIM card based, just like you're old T-Mobile phone.

If you need to activate a 3G device on an extended network, you can call *22890, as the "90" portion forces the tower to seek out Verizon's OTA activation servers. Unfortunately, 4G devices don't use *228, so I don't think they'll activate off network.

Do you have friends/family back in the contiguous that could possibly activate if for you, then ship you the phone? You'd be without a phone for a few days, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Latest update on the lovely battery life saga.

I took this screenshot as soon as I got home, but I spent five of those hours with a full four bars LTE.

Screen time on was 39 minutes.

The phone spent almost the entire time in my pocket doing nothing, with full signal. Depressing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's a lot of awake time, at least 50% of that. You're either lying or dumb as hell because your pictures disagree with what you post just about every time.

Apr 7, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

That's a lot of awake time, at least 50% of that. You're either lying or dumb as hell because your pictures disagree with what you post just about every time.

Why would I lie about my screen time, and why would leaving my phone in my pocket while it drains the battery make me dumb as hell? The GN is notorious for waking up while not in use and destroying batteries.

Unless you mean I was dumb as hell to buy a Galaxy Nexus in the first place, or replace it twice and hope I got a good one. Why is it so hard for you, and other people on this forum, to admit that the Verizon GN isn't all it's cracked up to be and has major issues?

EDIT: Here's a screenshot from earlier in the night, my screen on time at this point at 18 minutes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 6, 2012

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Why would I lie about my screen time, and why would leaving my phone in my pocket while it drains the battery make me dumb as hell? The GN is notorious for waking up while not in use and destroying batteries.

Unless you mean I was dumb as hell to buy a Galaxy Nexus in the first place, or replace it twice and hope I got a good one. Why is it so hard for you, and other people on this forum, to admit that the Verizon GN isn't all it's cracked up to be and has major issues?

EDIT: Here's a screenshot from earlier in the night, my screen on time at this point at 18 minutes.

I've been lucky, I love mine.
My first one, sadly had a charging port flake out. But the new one is just as solid as the first which is near perfect. My only complaints the touch screen input weirdness (Not responding to multitouch sometimes). But whatever, I dont play games enough to care.

It makes me sad seeing so many bad experiences. I really love my phone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Any thoughts/feelings on the HTC Trophy? I feel like picking one up to play around with/as a backup to my GNex

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The real question here, is "why the hell is "Android OS taking up nearly half of your battery life every time?"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The real question here, is "why the hell is "Android OS taking up nearly half of your battery life every time?"

As of 4.0, Android OS is what the battery use screen lumps everything into that doesn't go into anything else. He's probably got a wakelock going on with something, which is why BetterBatteryStats is the best app ever. It'll tell you specifically which process is causing a partial wakelock and draining your battery.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Your phone is in your pocket, doing nothing for ~30 minutes of those 6 hours. You're either exaggerating about how little you're using it or some app is preventing it from going to sleep. Something like that won't happen on a phone at factory settings, period.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
So I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm stuck between the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx. From what I've read the razr has better build quality and an awesome battery but its stuck in android update limbo for who knows how long. On the other hand the nexus has the latest software, a bigger screen, but it feels a bit flimsier it sounds like the battery/reception is kinda poo poo. So yea, I have no idea what to get, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Your phone is in your pocket, doing nothing for ~30 minutes of those 6 hours. You're either exaggerating about how little you're using it or some app is preventing it from going to sleep. Something like that won't happen on a phone at factory settings, period.

I'll grab better battery stats and see what that says, but the personal attacks are ridiculous, if you think I have some reason to sit here and lie about how garbage this phone has been (all three of them) and I enjoy wasting my time exchanging phones, you are out of your mind.

Today I was out from 7:00 AM to 12:30 PM and the phone was at ~10% when I got it home. I used it maybe one hour total trying to take pictures, or post things on Facebook, and this was in a downtown area with four bars of reception at all times. I decided to put the leaked IMM76K on it since another exchange obviously isn't going to help. We'll see what happens.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 7, 2012

• Locked thread