Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

idk every time i hear someone's tale from an interview it's not "so they had me mock up a quick web application on the platform of my choice using a provided API" (this would be a killer loving way to interview a front-end dev btw) it's "well they had me whiteboard code these 17 different math/algo problems"

it takes like 30 seconds to copy a list of algorithms into evernote to use as interview questions. anyway just make some bomb-rear end webs and eventually you'll find a company that wants to pay you to make bomb-rear end webs or maybe you won't, and then eventually everyone you love will die. so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

how to get employed in IT
  • be attractive
  • smile
  • bullshit
why do you need to whiteboard stuff, tell them about your past brilliant successes. make those successes up. you're approaching this like the process of getting an IT job is some sort of honesty meritocracy

ever been in a job where some bigmouthed manager gets employed, brings in his inept lackeys who each get paid ridiculous amounts? you could be one of them!!!

but no no keep studying your clr making cheat sheets remember to say bloom filters a lot in the interview

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anal Tributary posted:

idk every time i hear someone's tale from an interview it's not "so they had me mock up a quick web application on the platform of my choice using a provided API" (this would be a killer loving way to interview a front-end dev btw) it's "well they had me whiteboard code these 17 different math/algo problems"

that's not a place you want to work

"hey look i know you're applying to be a car salesman, but could you take a look at my chevy out back? it's making an odd noise"

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
the interview isnt there to assess your api trivia knowledge and it's not something that should be able to be solved with google

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
when i say provided API, i'm talking about a basic CRUD interface to a database

we're talking about front-end development. if i say "alright, for this interview, we've got some web application that has this API we made. build us a front-end for it. here's some basic specifications."

it'd be a relatively simple test (like maybe 5-6 hours at most, or gently caress just like two and see what they can do; that may seem like a lot but there's far crazier interviews out there), probably with some basic authentication handling so they know how to do that.

i mean this is something you'd want tailored to the position, so if it was say a django shop you'd give them a half-built django application and have them create views and templates and poo poo, you know, what front-end devs do. if it's something kind of open, encourage them to use something like backbone.js; front-end devs should be able to handle heavy-client side apps, since that's where we're going.

you'd look for the same stuff you look for in interviews: code quality, mastery of tools used, very importantly ability to learn new concepts (i assume a lot of front-end dev is "we have this new specific need, go learn this jquery plugin and how to style the output"), design considerations (though obviously you wouldn't expect them to bust out photoshop and spend the six hours mocking up the perfect gradients), etc.

front-end development is, at its core, about taking back-ends and creating complex, easy-to-use views for them, and to some extent making it look good (i think there's still a difference between "front-end developer" and "web designer"). that's the challenge you need to present interviewees, imo

e: also, i want to be clear; i don't think this is the only coding you want in an interview. i get that there's value in being able to do traditional interview code challenges - especially if you want more of a "flex" coder than someone who sits around creating views all day. i would guess that most companies would want front-end devs who can hack on the backend if they need to, and yeah, you do need more than just "onclick=$.ajax(api endpoint)" in that case. but i think it's a mistake to put the majority of a coder's value in terms of their interviewstreet score.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 4, 2012

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yeah but otoh that sounds like it's gonna take way too loving long when i can just expect you to have this one syntax trick i looked up for django memorized

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
that would take ages when you could do the same with a couple of well formed lil problems that take minutes.

how many interviews have you actually been to

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Alligator posted:

that would take ages when you could do the same with a couple of well formed lil problems that take minutes.

how many interviews have you actually been to

zero, of course!

i know it's a long-rear end way to test someone, but hey, there's some long-rear end interviews out there (like the one i linked). and i don't think it would take ages; think it would take maybe a day. poo poo, i could imagine a company getting a bunch of prospects in at once, explaining it to them, and giving them the time to do it. there's some like "day trip" type interviews out there, especially for startups/companies hiring college grads, this would be a cool way to do one

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
that's a gigantic waste and gives you no sense of the candidate's ability to work with team members

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

that's a gigantic waste and gives you no sense of the candidate's ability to work with team members

what do you during an interview to see a candidate's ability to work with team members? honestly curious. i remember reading about a company that would essentially have a candidate work alongside them for a day (or at least a few hours), but that's obviously not practical for 99% of companies.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Anal Tributary posted:

what do you during an interview to see a candidate's ability to work with team members? honestly curious. i remember reading about a company that would essentially have a candidate work alongside them for a day (or at least a few hours), but that's obviously not practical for 99% of companies.

anything other than make them work on a problem by themselves for a whole day

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
talk to them durin gthe interview. interview them

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this only happens if your server is set up in a weird stupid way using an old module nobody uses anymore. i saw a link earlier this morning explaining it but now i can't find it

yeah its not a big deal because only dumb old sites are set up in that way

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

talk to them durin gthe interview. interview them

i'm not saying this is the only thing you do

it's not "hey you applied? ok go to this room and read the instructions there, we've provided a computer, don't say a word, when you're done leave and we'll call you back."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let's just make it pair programming with a really polar opposite guy

sitcom interviews

all drawin a line down the middle of the keyboard
THIS SIDE IS MINE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait
if you're coding here
then that means

OH BOY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
CHECK PLEASE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll have what he's having :xd:

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Nevett posted:

yeah its not a big deal because only dumb old sites are set up in that way

Although I think lots of servers, particularly shared web hosts, are set up to run php through cgi and this exploit is a big deal, I suspect this case may be a clever joke. Check at what that include actually is ...

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
wanna be interviewed by jonny

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Although I think lots of servers, particularly shared web hosts, are set up to run php through cgi and this exploit is a big deal, I suspect this case may be a clever joke. Check at what that include actually is ...

thats what i get from blindly reposting links from smarter people then me

regardless, even if its an obscure server set-up or whatever, it doesnt excuse php sitting on a known exploit and then not even fixing it properly when it becomes public

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Hey, any script kiddies wanna impress some lovely php devs?

quote:

:~ me$ curl 'http://wordpress.com/?-s' -I
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:56:33 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Connection: close
Vary: Accept-Encoding
X-hacker: If you're reading this, you should visit automattic.com/jobs and apply to join the fun, mention this header.
X-Pingback: http://wordpress.com/xmlrpc.php
Link: <http://wp.me/1>; rel=shortlink

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Jonny 290 posted:

let's just make it pair programming with a really polar opposite guy

sitcom interviews

all drawin a line down the middle of the keyboard
THIS SIDE IS MINE

lmao

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anal Tributary posted:

i'm not saying this is the only thing you do

it's not "hey you applied? ok go to this room and read the instructions there, we've provided a computer, don't say a word, when you're done leave and we'll call you back."

So you want me to not only go through the normal interview process, but also take "about a day" of my personal time to write something for your company for free in the hopes you decide I'm the one candidate you want?

Sure, that's gonna happen.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My Two Project Managers

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Everyone Loves Eric Raymond

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DEBRA

DEBRA

HEY DEBRA

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

poo poo, if I ever have to jump all these hoops and build apps and spend 2 days interviewing to work on lovely frontends, I better hope you're not adding a probation period on top.

"You know the best way to interview someone? GIVE THEM THE JOB, BUT DON'T PAY THEM. EVALUATE ON THAT!"

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Casao posted:

So you want me to not only go through the normal interview process, but also take "about a day" of my personal time to write something for your company for free in the hopes you decide I'm the one candidate you want?

Sure, that's gonna happen.

reminder that anal volcano is a child and his experience with job interviews consists mostly of fast food places

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Anal Tributary posted:

kid I know is a flash developer at a top media shop, google called him up and said we'd like to interview you, in the interview they asked him all kinds of questions about things like inodes and efficient pointer/bitshift operations

in short most tech interviewers are retarded and terrible

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
no you see software development is all about whatever some crusty-rear end C book from 1972 says and if you dont know that how can you *possibly* get any work done

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Internaut! posted:

kid I know is a flash developer at a top media shop, google called him up and said we'd like to interview you, in the interview they asked him all kinds of questions about things like inodes and efficient pointer/bitshift operations

yeah whether or not my idea was good (spoilers: probs not) this is kinda my ultimate point

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
2 hours of pair programming was the final part of the interview at my last job, it was actually a really great tool.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Internaut! posted:

google has like 20 people total who write actionscript and most of them are remote. at my interview for a flash position no one knew actionscript or could ask me relevant platform questions either.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
unless somebody is entirely incompetent or unwilling to learn then programming skills, languages and disciplines can be taught anyway

it's far more important to hire somebody who isn't a dick and who the team can work with because then the rest will fall into place

i spent this weekend chatting to some friends who work at other places and their teams are full of morons who can optimise the poo poo out of a sort function but who squeal like toddlers when asked to learn how to use git or use more than 2 letters for variable names

surprise they all hate their jobs meanwhile i love mine

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol @ going on interviews for jobs you don't already have

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Char posted:

no you see software development is all about whatever some crusty-rear end C book from 1972 says and if you dont know that how can you *possibly* get any work done

to be fair google has plenty of need for people who know the intimate details of inodes and low level memory management

but throwing questions like these at a flash developer is a waste of time for everyone involved

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Interview question #1: Are you like me? Because we need more people like me in here.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
are you a yes man who isnt gonna rock my boat and make me do real work with real deliverables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
OH poo poo I'VE BEEN SHAGGARED