Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
CLRS is an obvious book suggestion for data structures and algorithms idk what the ~goon opinion~ of it is but its probably on like 99% of university reading lists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Rufo posted:

CLRS is an obvious book suggestion for data structures and algorithms idk what the ~goon opinion~ of it is but its probably on like 99% of university reading lists

cormen is great but if you don't have the math you will get lost loving fast

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Werthog posted:

you're in school, you don't need experience to do an internship. that's the whole point of internships, to teach you the poo poo you actually need to know in order to work a real job

Anal Tributary posted:

idk internships still have like interviews and poo poo and i assume they want you to have an actual CS background

yes they have interviews

no you don't need an actual cs background

we just hired a batch of 4 interns and two of them are arguably retarded finance majors who took one or two cs courses

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Rufo posted:

It has been a great decoration in many programmers' shelves for years now.

I've heard of way more people who have it as a reference but never read it than people who read them before. I'm in the former category myself.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
for me calc 1 was before discrete math, so you might have a hard time with clrs. also theres video lectures thru mit ocw for it so thats probably the best idea

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

nukethewhales posted:

they want you to show interest and enthusiasmin what you'll be learning about at the internship in those interviews

all you have to do to get an internship like the ones we just gave out is appear
1. smart
2. interested in the project
3. eager to learn

one of the people we hired only had one programming-related project on his resume, an ios game to teach children bible stories

loving scu jesuits

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Rufo posted:

WHAT A GRAPH IS

a bad poster

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Rufo posted:

fyi this is the book i was referring to

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
look guys the algorithms that people care about aren't that complicated

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

i had to implement a partial sha256 collision finder for a class that was memory-efficient (partial in the sense of 'get the first n bits to collide for as large n as possible')

i managed to get to 64 bits but i lost 10% because the algorithm i implemented was linear in the prefix length instead of constant

welp that's my story

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweeper posted:

look guys the algorithms that people care about aren't that complicated

they're also in the standard lib so you dont really need to know more than what to use when and what resources it will use

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

if this was the case i wouldn't be here asking for materials to learn proper CS

i go a terrible school that doesn't have a CS degree, and while i'm planning to transfer (god loving willing), in the interim i'm stuck spinning wheels

you should be more confident in your abilities b/c your desire to learn combined w/ your current knowledge is much better than most students (especially freshman) so you are a really good candidate for most internships. just look for them and apply instead of selling yourself short by getting a dumb retail job.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
CLRS is a slog. You'll learn more than you'll ever possibly need to know and you'll spend more time sitting with a pad and paper than writing code. But if you actually manage to correctly do clrs exercises it'll be an incredibly valuable experience

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jooky posted:

you should be more confident in your abilities b/c your desire to learn combined w/ your current knowledge is much better than most students (especially freshman) so you are a really good candidate for most internships. just look for them and apply instead of selling yourself short by getting a dumb retail job.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
yo analvolcano go and learn what a set is or something idk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jooky posted:

yup this. and don't avoid interviews just because you don't think you're qualified. my best internship came from a guy who openly talked poo poo on my resume when i gave it to him at the career fair ("don't bother with that 'major gpa' poo poo, we all know what that means"), and when it was time to graduate i interviewed at a few places i wasn't interested in just for the experience. by the time i interviewed for job i was actually qualified for and wanted to get, there was no stress at all

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rufo posted:

yo analvolcano go and learn what a set is or something idk

juelz dip dip santana set set

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Werthog posted:

fyi this is the book i was referring to

do people in jobs really have a 200 level cmpt textbook on their desk?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
here's the books i have on my desk: the lua book, computational geometry in C

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i like graphs.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i like graphs, but i do not like graph's [posting]

makes u think

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

ahhh spiders posted:

a bunch of the stuff in cormen is above 200 level unless you're like mr cmu i do nothing else but computer poo poo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tinselt0wn posted:

i like graphs, but i do not like graph's [posting]

makes u think

graph chat. post directed forests and the completest graphs u got

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

this guy does. idfk why

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

a bunch of the stuff in cormen is above 200 level unless you're like mr cmu i do nothing else but computer poo poo

i don't think the level is important so much as the book actually being relevant to the job (it isn't)

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i like coding my graphs in d3

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
graphs are the most pro-tier data structure, 420 do iterative deepening search everyday

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Police Academy III posted:

graphs are the most pro-tier data structure, 420 do iterative deepening search everyday

graph theory was my favorite class in college

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
graphs are cool but i've only had 2 irl things i've solved with them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
dijkstra's algorithm bestest algorithm

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

graphs are cool but i've only had 2 irl things i've solved with them.

yeah the only times i've used a graph after the class were...
- in an ai class with neural networks
- in that same class for getting a learning ai to learn how to "play" blackjack by studying game states and their results
- for a game i started and never finished
- to solve some convex hull problem (project euler maybe? i forget)

it's too bad that i don't use them more

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Graphs are fun to solve some mazes, and do some reductions of algorithms for trees (forests), which are acyclic directed graphs, or undirected acyclic graphs when you have zippers :3:

E: and a shitload of stuff I never had to work on.

detroit
Nov 11, 2009
code:
A    B:C  D E F G=H:I:J K:L M N O,P Q:R  S T=UVW X YZ

detroit
Nov 11, 2009
:cool:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Werthog posted:

the punchline is that this man is now my boss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd%27s_cycle-finding_algorithm#Tortoise_and_hare

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
p.s. I am yet to use anything I picked up from a cs course, in my day job of programming

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ugh shaggar av

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol tef youve never taken a cs course

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tinselt0wn posted: