Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ahaha, Blazing Souls: Accelate is about to be released for the PSP in Europe. Yes, I'm sure that'll sell excellently when set against Diablo 3, Dragon's Dogma, Atelier Meruru, and Rune Factory PS3, and when none of the shops even bother to put up PSP frontpieces any more.

May's going to be a pretty solid month for releases, all in all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Noticed today that Falcom is developing a new RPG series now, called Nayuta no Kiseki. Not related to Trails or Zero at all despite the name. Not a whole ton of info around yet, but it looks like they hope to combine the actionyness of Ys with the grand RPGness of Sora no Kiseki. Seems to still be a regular PSP title though ...

Decent collection of screenshots and info from Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470163

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
That looks pretty promising, if there is anything wrong with the Ys games, it is how short they are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like the translation of Grand Knights History got canned. :(

http://kotaku.com/5906953/yet-another-gorgeous-jrpg-might-not-make-it-to-america
(Apologies for Kotaku link.)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
so, I just got a DS and would be much obliged if some of you kind people could recommend some of the best RPGs for it. I've already heard good things about Radiant Historia and the DQ games (though I don't know which to play first???) but after that I'm fairly in the dark.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Play Dragon Quest 5 first, or maybe 4. I'd skip Radiant Historia personally, it's about as generic and mediocre as any game I've ever played. I'd definitely recommend the Shin Megami Tensei games, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey. If you have any taste for old-school RPGs like Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. then The Dark Spire is excellent. It's one of my favorite RPGs on the DS, after DQ 4 and 5.

edit:

I guess you should look at The World Ends With You as well. Personally, I think it's an awful game thanks to having one of the worst control schemes I've ever seen. But basically everyone else on the planet seems to love it.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 3, 2012

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

so, I just got a DS and would be much obliged if some of you kind people could recommend some of the best RPGs for it. I've already heard good things about Radiant Historia and the DQ games (though I don't know which to play first???) but after that I'm fairly in the dark.

Dragon Quest IV and V are must-plays. Either is fine to play first (don't start with IX like I did).
Radiant Historia, SMT Devil Survivor, and The World Ends With You are all great RPGs for the DS. You can also try out the Etrian Odyssey series if you like dungeon crawlers, or the Rune Factory series (which is Harvest Moon crossed with a RPG, and is strangely very good).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Not quite as good as the previous two but still Golden Sun through and through. A little easy at times but a lot of fun and very polished.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Anyone know any good RPGs with really flexible and in depth skill systems, Just so I can play around with dumb builds for the hell of it. MMOs would be alright too.

Thanks,

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I personally wasn't a huge Radiant Historia fan but I know the majority of the RPG thread has suggested Historia to everyone with a DS.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I personally wasn't a huge Radiant Historia fan but I know the majority of the RPG thread has suggested Historia to everyone with a DS.

I felt the same way. It's not bad at all but I found myself just losing interest halfway through. It felt a little tedious to me. But the storyline is pretty good!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Levantine posted:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Not quite as good as the previous two

So it's total trash then?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I quite liked the GBA Golden Sun games actually

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

I quite liked the GBA Golden Sun games actually

They are pretty excellent games! They are firmly steeped in the old traditions but are really polished and a lot of fun to play. Lots of hidden stuff to find and things to do.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Rello posted:

Anyone know any good RPGs with really flexible and in depth skill systems, Just so I can play around with dumb builds for the hell of it. MMOs would be alright too.

Thanks,

Might wanna look into Rift. The class system is pretty darn flexible:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463620

Also that Secret World game looks like it may even beat out rift for flexibility but who knows if it will have the same amount of polish?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469404
Also it's not out yet.

Ultima online also does this very well. In that there are like a few hundred skills and you can max out 7 or 8 of them (I forget how many it's been awhile).

I can't really think of any Single player RPGS that do this REALLY well. That diablo clone coming out supposedly has a stupid huge skill tree (Was it path of exile? anyone c/d ?)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing about Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is that it is Golden Sun and if you already know whether you like Golden Sun then you'll know whether you can expect to like Dark Dawn.

Any of the Dragon Quests is a good choice. VI is my favorite, but you just can't go wrong.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Adam Bowen posted:

I'd skip Radiant Historia personally, it's about as generic and mediocre as any game I've ever played.
I'm 75% in agreement with you. It starts getting really tedious about 20 hours in, but I want to finish the story dammit.

Borrow it if you can.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

They are pretty excellent games! They are firmly steeped in the old traditions but are really polished and a lot of fun to play. Lots of hidden stuff to find and things to do.

You do know that official goonpinion is that GS fucken sucks, right? I never got into the originals but having read the recent LP I'm inclined to agree. I did have a lot of fun with DD though. You just have to remember that this is not a very modern game you're playing and it might not be for you.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Amppelix posted:

You do know that official goonpinion is that GS fucken sucks, right? I never got into the originals but having read the recent LP I'm inclined to agree. I did have a lot of fun with DD though. You just have to remember that this is not a very modern game you're playing and it might not be for you.

Goonpinion is that Dvinity 2 was worth $20 during the Steam holiday sale. Don't listen to everything goons say because they have terrible taste. That said I loved DD but I also loved the first two. It's very much the same kind of game so yeah, if you've played the others you will either love it or hate it based on your opinion of those.

See: Project Diva

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

flyboi posted:

Goonpinion is that Dvinity 2 was worth $20 during the Steam holiday sale. Don't listen to everything goons say because they have terrible taste.

You have proved beyond a doubt you ain't got the taste god gave a goat.

Yeah Golden Sun DD is the same as the other games in that there's going to be a lot of plot exposition in bursts, some of it getting thrown out as convenient because what the gently caress is editing, a lot of mechanics that work fine until they no longer decide to (we can use our powers in 3D! except when we arbitrarily can't because ???), and a cast full of people who have no personality whatsoever, and I mean that even by JRPG standards. If you honestly craved more of that horseshit after the first two, you're the target audience, congrats.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rello posted:

Thanks,

Kingdom of Amalur seems like it was made for you. Respeccing is super cheap and the most fun part of the game is trying out the different skill combinations and destinies (classes)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rello posted:

Thanks,

If you have a DS, you should get Etrian Odyssey 3. 10 different classes, and then you can subclass to any other one. Every class has a ton of skills to play with, and you can make all kind of dumb/hilarious builds to muck around with. Plus it's just a very good game overall!

As far as Golden Sun goes, I've really just never understood why people liked it, but it seems that there are a fair number of people that do. About the nicest thing I could say about it is that it's not the worst RPG I've ever played.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the appeal of it is that it has a pretty interesting class system (that it's not hard enough to require you to understand) and lots and lots of environmental puzzles. I can't speak for anyone else, but puzzles are like catnip to me; I'll overlook altogether too many other flaws.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 1, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

As far as Golden Sun goes, I've really just never understood why people liked it, but it seems that there are a fair number of people that do. About the nicest thing I could say about it is that it's not the worst RPG I've ever played.

I played through GS1 twice, and the second time was a real struggle. I started Lost Age and never finished it because I got tired of being told the plot to the game I just finished.

I then got Dark Dawn as a gift, and while I've been enjoying it in a moderate sort of way, I'm pretty glad I never put down my own cash to buy it.

Also, if you play DD, get set for some extraordinarily long expositional conversations. And not just in the first hour or so, the trend stretches well into the game.

Seriously, I'm not sure if it exists, but if you can, find an faq or something that sums up what the conversations involve and mash the advance button while watching tv or something. They're offensively repetitive and uninspired.

Edit: On the bright side, the developers finally let go of the NES-era trend of having your party members do nothing for a turn of combat if the enemy they were targeting died before their action came up. Cuts most of the battle time in half compared to the previous games.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 4, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jesto posted:

People probably like Golden Sun because so many of the in-battle spells are out of battle spells too. You can burn things, make plants grow, read the minds of every single NPC in the game and so on. It's like the HM techniques in Pokemon taken to an absurd level.

It's also a pretty strong puzzle based RPG, of which there are very few. Many of the in-battle spells can be used to solve complex puzzles in dungeons and towns and that's pretty fun!

The rest is boilerplate RPG but that's pretty much what you get in an RPG. I think the story is not awesome or dramatic but it's overall a fun adventure with no real offensive characters or anything. It has sort of a whimsical air about the proceedings that I liked.

Dark Dawn however does have some of the longest, driest conversations I've ever seen in an RPG which is why I think it's a bit of a step down from the previous games. They say a lot and give a lot of information but it's just delivered in an uninteresting fashion.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I recently finished Chrono Trigger on DS, and that is utterly epic. As everyone else says as well, get the Dragon Quests (start with 4) and play them until IX, as IX is so awesome, save it until you're done with the earlier ones...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Levantine posted:

It's also a pretty strong puzzle based RPG, of which there are very few. Many of the in-battle spells can be used to solve complex puzzles in dungeons and towns and that's pretty fun!

The rest is boilerplate RPG but that's pretty much what you get in an RPG. I think the story is not awesome or dramatic but it's overall a fun adventure with no real offensive characters or anything. It has sort of a whimsical air about the proceedings that I liked.

Dark Dawn however does have some of the longest, driest conversations I've ever seen in an RPG which is why I think it's a bit of a step down from the previous games. They say a lot and give a lot of information but it's just delivered in an uninteresting fashion.

So you haven't played the others since you were 13, right? Because long, dry conversations are not new to the series. Also, it doesn't have offensive characters because it barely has characters.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

So you haven't played the others since you were 13, right? Because long, dry conversations are not new to the series. Also, it doesn't have offensive characters because it barely has characters.

Yeah the characterization in general is incredibly weak, and it doesn't help that once you get some Djinn everyone can do pretty much the same stuff in battle.

Some of the "secret" classes were pretty cool though. Getting a Samurai by accident was really awesome to my 13-year-old self.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Sun could have been a good franchise but it really wasn't. It did almost everything wrong that it should have done right, up to and including having one drat RPG split over two carts that required either a second system or the worst loving password in the entire history of mankind to transfer over from. I wanted to like it so bad because it had a lot of fantastic ideas, but awful execution of all of them.

I think it gets remember with more nostalgia than it deserves because it was one of the most advanced handheld RPGs that existed at the time and the lack of competition made it a lot easier to overlook how loving bad it did things.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

niggapolis posted:

Kingdom of Amalur seems like it was made for you. Respeccing is super cheap and the most fun part of the game is trying out the different skill combinations and destinies (classes)

Awesome going to try this now, thanks for the suggestions everybody.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I already have the Vita version of Disgaea 3 but am looking for a PSP rpg that I can sink a lot of hours into that is fairly deep. Suggestions?

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs
There's Disgaea 1/2 and Phantom Brave for more NIS goodness. Z.H.P. for a NIS rogue-like-like.

Class of Heroes is a (anime) Wizardry clone and just recently got a price cut. Jeanne d'Arc is a pretty fun tactical RPG about Joan of Arc. Tactics Ogre is another really good strategy RPG. Persona 3 portable is a wonderful, challenging dungeon crawler/high-school simulator and a lot of people will recommend it, and Persona 4 the Golden is coming out soon for Vita, I think. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite isn't an RPG per se but if you like action games about hunting giant monsters its pretty long.

Riveria: The Promised Land was good when I played it on the game boy but I don't know how the PSP port holds up. I hear a lot of good things about Ys but its less numbers and more run into things.

If you had to pick one of these I'd pick Persona 3 Portable.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

NyaoMyao posted:

Riveria: The Promised Land was good when I played it on the game boy but I don't know how the PSP port holds up.

It's the same thing with better graphics/music quality, voice acting (I liked it but if it really bothers you you can also turn it off), and more save slots.

Though if you're looking into Sting games you might also want to check out Yggdra Union, a really neat twist on the Strategy RPG genre.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What is the twist to Yggdra Union?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's the same thing with better graphics/music quality, voice acting (I liked it but if it really bothers you you can also turn it off), and more save slots.

The PSP version also has a little extra content in the form of a whole hidden bonus chapter in place of the hidden bonus boss fight in the original, although it's not connected to the main plot and isn't really up to the standard of the rest of the game.

Wendell posted:

It's pretty hard to summarise all its quirks, but I'll do my best.

When you engage an enemy in battle on the main map, it's resolved by having your character's army fight the enemy's army on a battle screen, and you can take various actions during the engagement to improve your chances of success. Whichever army is defeated in the engagement loses morale (the game's version of hit points), while the victorious army is unharmed. Further complicating this is the Union mechanic: by placing your characters in the right positions on the map, you can engage an enemy with multiple units in succession, wearing the enemy down to make the battle easier. Forming large Unions can be very helpful in taking down tougher enemies, and smart positioning to keep enemies from forming big Unions against single characters of yours is important for survival.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So for the Ys fans here, and I know you exist and are Righteous Men, Ys Origin is now definitely landing this month.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/04/ys-origin-comes-to-steam-with-english-text-in-may/

Cannot loving wait. Absolutely cannot loving wait. Especially since, in a lot of ways, it's the best of the Ark Engine-based Ys games. And after this, that'll leave just IV and V unreleased here.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New Ys game here? Gonna be all over that, I loved the PSP stuff (Chronicles not so much, but they were still alright).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wendell posted:

Game mechanics are rolled out slowly over the game, but once you have everything, you have a number of strategies to consider. In sequential order:

Each turn, you pick a particular card from your deck that dictates your movement budget to move your army, the overall power of your attack, and the special ability of your attack. You can attack once on your player turn and can counter attack whenever on the enemy turn, and a card lasts for your turn as well as the opponent's turn.

When you attack or counter attack (defend), you form unions with respect to the formation that you have on the field and the gender of the person you are attacking with or are under attack. The union dictates the order of your attacks and who attacks whom in the opponent's union. The order dictates the overall progression of meter build up throughout the course of each battle within the union.

Meter is used during the battles between unions. You can consume meter for an increase in overall combat ability, or you can build meter until its full to use the special ability of your card. Special abilities can range from temporary invulnerability to straight out nuking.

Each "unit" on the field is comprised of a head and a number of henchmen reflected by your class type. E.g., Princess Yggdra is the head and is accompanied by 9 valkyries or whatever. Henchmen mostly just reflect the status of the battle but also dictate your current power level as battles go on. The more henchmen you have left after you win a fight, the more damage you do to whoever you lost. Henchmen are 'restored' every time you do battle (so basically every turn). If you win a battle, you take no damage so it's almost always in your best interest to win fights but it's not always possible due to the union orders and such (unions who go later in the chain suffer penalties but get the bonus of increased meter).

Throw in items, special events, various stat build ups, etc and it becomes quite the bear of a game. It's really hard to adequetely explain in a single post. There's a good LP of Yggdra up on LPArchive and the author basically spreads the mechanics out over a number of posts, as they're uncovered in the main game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Jesto posted:

As usual in these topics, plugging three of the best free RPG Maker games to give a whirl.

Exit Fate: Goon-made game. 75 characters, 6 character battles with 2 reserve characters for swapping in and out of combat, a 50-60 hour story and overall manages to beat out quite a few retail games these days in terms of engaging gameplay and plot. Heavily themed after the early Suikoden games, and even uses Suikoden 2's war battle format while fixing all the problems of it, making it more strategy based.

Just the other day I found myself jonesing for a JRPG I could play on my PC.