Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Rufo posted:

CLRS is an obvious book suggestion for data structures and algorithms idk what the ~goon opinion~ of it is but its probably on like 99% of university reading lists

while clrs is an excellent reference, dpv is very good imo while being concise and eminently readable

the penultimate draft is also available fo free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
clrs was the textbook for my algorithms class.

Its probably the textbook for a lot of algorithms classes.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Otto Skorzeny posted:

while clrs is an excellent reference, dpv is very good imo while being concise and eminently readable

the penultimate draft is also available fo free

nice. anal volcano u should read that ^

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
clrs is also available for free if you know where to look. I rarely pay for textbooks.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tef posted:

I've failed more cs courses than you've had empty quotes

no one likes anything i say so more than 0 isnt impressive.

fail harder plz

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
graphs are cool and graph theory comes up a lot in bioinformatics

sure, i can assemble these genome reads into their shortest common superstring; just build a graph out of the strings with edges for their overlap, then find the heaviest hamiltonian ... poo poo

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020

Rufo posted:

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

Kinda depends on where the calc I leaves off. Series come up often enough that being familiar with them is handy and sometimes that's like the tail end of a first-of-two-terms course, sometimes it's in the second-of-three-terms course in that sequence.

I struggled some with math tbqh (got it well enough to finish a degree in the "hard" sciences but really had to slog through it), but when I went back to school more or less on a lark and took discrete math it was kind of a HOLY poo poo experience. It was the first time I ever really super enjoyed a math class and it seemed so useful day to day. For what it's worth, the course used Rosen's discrete math text, 6th ed. (The solutions manual is also pretty good, so it might be useful for self-study as well as in the context of a course.)

Re: coursera being bootstrap, yeah, but they're like fresh off the starting block and seem to be spending most of their time working on actual course delivery stuff. Just finished the Algo I course with Roughgarden and it was pretty awesome. CLRS is kind of dense, but it was kind of the ultimate reference I'd turn to if something didn't make sense in lecture.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Calc gets really important if yo'ure interested in machine learning algorithms: convex optimization is more or less "move in the direction of the gradient until you find your optimum"

god help you if your optimizing something that isn't convex though; then you actually have to think about it

SVMs with a gaussian kernel are heavy poo poo

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
sign(sin(φx)) has one parameter φ but infinite VC dimension~

also I hate matlab

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Lysidas posted:

Calc gets really important if yo'ure interested in machine learning algorithms: convex optimization is more or less "move in the direction of the gradient until you find your optimum"

also doing a ML or MAP or whatever estimator for a lot of distributions will involve doing a fourier xform iirc

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
when you get into category theory you find out that calculus concepts have their equivalents in the discrete realm that have applications but really who ever does that

e.g. you can differentiate or integrate a data type and the result is useful :monocle:

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

also doing a ML or MAP or whatever estimator for a lot of distributions will involve doing a fourier xform iirc

hey um this is kinda from the out field here but do you know anything about cycle/stability detection on periodic profiles. and if so where i can learn about more.
i have likea 400 page book on linear control systems but i just want one specific subsection of all that (detecting when peaks and troughs are stable mostly)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look at these fuckin nerdshoes

just make an array and set up a couple for loops
you're good

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Don't forget nyquist theorem hth

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

While we're in algorithm talk, I'd like to ask if anyone has a few tips here.

I'm working on doing some advertisement targeting at the moment and I've been working on implementing Interval IDs to evaluate Boolean Expression Trees (PDF) to allow me to do some nifty efficient arbitrary matches, getting close (~3x) to compiled-code speed when interpreted on a few reasonable queries.

The problem I foresee is that it's still gonna be lovely expensive to run this stuff over hundreds of thousands of candidates. I was wondering if anyone working in different areas had similar problems of doing complex matching (hard to index) over medium-sized to large data-sets with ideally sublinear complexity, and if so, if you'd have any pointers :3:.

It seems to me pub/sub problems are somewhat similar, as well as match-making for dating sites or online games and whatnot. I'm sadly under low-latency constraints (under 20-30ms if possible), but any source of inspiration is welcome.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

MononcQc posted:

I'm working on doing some advertisement targeting at the moment and I've been working on implementing Interval IDs to evaluate Boolean Expression Trees (PDF) to allow me to do some nifty efficient arbitrary matches, getting close (~3x) to compiled-code speed when interpreted on a few reasonable queries.

The problem I foresee is that it's still gonna be lovely expensive to run this stuff over hundreds of thousands of candidates. I was wondering if anyone working in different areas had similar problems of doing complex matching (hard to index) over medium-sized to large data-sets with ideally sublinear complexity, and if so, if you'd have any pointers :3:.

It seems to me pub/sub problems are somewhat similar, as well as match-making for dating sites or online games and whatnot. I'm sadly under low-latency constraints (under 20-30ms if possible), but any source of inspiration is welcome.

just use php

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
graph algorithms and visualization are literally my favorite computer things

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

MononcQc posted:

have you tried mongo db? It's web scale you know.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

its weird, right? I never thought advertising would be the industry where I actually had to deal with serious cs poo poo but well here I am

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

rotor posted:

graph algorithms

the 'send yostop' algorithm has a curious time complexity of O(5 months) that no one can seem to solve

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TiMBuS posted:

the 'send yostop' algorithm has a curious time complexity of O(5 months) that no one can seem to solve

this problem has been solved and it's integrated into the main trunk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

this problem has been solved and it's integrated into the main trunk

why you gotta dis fork bomb like that

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

its weird, right? I never thought advertising would be the industry where I actually had to deal with serious cs poo poo but well here I am

I've been pleasantly surprised by how fun it is to work on that stuff. I used to think the projects I worked on were impressive because we had millions of requests a month and here I am handling more than that each hour.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

why you gotta dis fork bomb like that

it was a yostop in trunk joke

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

MononcQc posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised by how fun it is to work on that stuff. I used to think the projects I worked on were impressive because we had millions of requests a month and here I am handling more than that each hour.

nobody likes a showoff

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i wish just a hundred people an hour would look at my company's website

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if it makes you feel any better between a third and a half of those requests are probably fraudulent

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

yeah ok well last week ten guys from the philippines totally checked out our poo poo and they were impressed

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MononcQc posted:

Satisfaction of job well done

Beers all around

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

TiMBuS posted:

hey um this is kinda from the out field here but do you know anything about cycle/stability detection on periodic profiles. and if so where i can learn about more.
i have likea 400 page book on linear control systems but i just want one specific subsection of all that (detecting when peaks and troughs are stable mostly)

i was not the best student when i took signals & systems so i'm just going to handwave something to the effect of anything with a pole in the right hand side of the s-plane will be unstable. apologies that i couldn't be more helpful. i think mit has some EE opencourseware stuff that may be more useful than banging through a text yourself though.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Rufo posted:

what do you know about trees and graphs n poo poo? can u read a statement or proof written in propositional logic? how about using predicate logic to describe different properties of different types of graphs, e.g. acyclicity
alternatively what do you know about software development i.e. the thing that real people do at real computers making real applications in the real world

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MononcQc posted:

im pretty stupid but that seems very similar to BLAST lookups, or at least, the underlying algorithm they use in BLAST may be worth checking out. there's way less variety in the search strings (ACTG only), but 10s or 100s of millions of characters of genome to search through

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

nukethewhales posted:

I can't imagine what the course you failed must have been like... :ohdear:

probably one of those courses that requires you to write code instead of blogging about writing code

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Char posted:

alternatively what do you know about software development i.e. the thing that real people do at real computers making real applications in the real world

maths is hella relevant to non-trivial computing problems im sorry
neat example: this poo poo is the reason its possible to do this poo poo on non-toy programs before the heat death of the universe (its cool. companies like nokia actually use it to analyse their code irl)

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

math's

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Rufo posted:

maths is hella relevant to non-trivial computing problems im sorry
neat example: this poo poo is the reason its possible to do this poo poo on non-toy programs before the heat death of the universe (its cool. companies like nokia actually use it to analyse their code irl)

focusing on "computing problems" is fine if you're using your CPU as a gigantic calculator because it's 1952 and the only thing people write code for is crunching data

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
in before "all programming is crunching data" hurf durf i sniff dijkstra's farts from a jar

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

lookit these fuckin shameful excel figures

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Char posted:

in before "all programming is crunching data" hurf durf i sniff dijkstra's farts from a jar

this except unironically. functional programming > *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
also in lisp similar languages the program itself is even more data!!!!

makes u think