Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iwentdoodie posted:

So, uh, how likely am I to get pulled over on a two mile trip with a tire or two bungeed to myself or my backpack?

Depends on how many wheelies you roll running from A to B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Depends on how many wheelies you roll running from A to B.

As it turns out, no need to worry. Called another shop, and he has a set of take off BT-45s he'll sell me for...well, let's just say they have less than 2K miles on them and it's less than a new battery. Hook up for a fellow 2 stroke rider, he says.

loving awesome.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Why do you think you would get pulled over?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

So, uh, how likely am I to get pulled over on a two mile trip with a tire or two bungeed to myself or my backpack?

If you can fit them its a lot easier to put them around your waist.

I apologise for hurting your feelings if you are too fat to do this.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

MotoMind posted:

You should be fine, though I would not advise overfilling by more than a few mm. If it's over the sightglass it is not hard to back out the drain plug and lower it a fraction so the oil drains out over your hand. Then screw it back in after a moment.

What you want to avoid is massive crankcase overpressure that can blow seals, and you definitely don't want your piston skirt slamming into the oil bath. As long as you're only changing your crankcase volume by a few percent there is no issue.

I think my father and I overfilled by a margin when we changed the oil pan.

And I 'believe' it ended up being vented into my airbox and thus came out my airbox drain when I drained it a few weeks after.

Did we actually hurt anything?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thylacine posted:

Why do you think you would get pulled over?

If I was a cop and saw some guy with tires bungee corded to his back, I'd probably look twice.

And I don't know if I'm too fat to do that or not, but the point is now moot. 80 for two take off tires, installing them, and putting my new chain on. loving awesome.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

nsaP posted:

I guess it's covered in 'everything' but don't forget your air filter too. I've seen a few pictures of animals making a home in there and if it's been sitting that's a possibility.
Thanks, I'll check that too. The specific suggestions are what's helpful since I don't even know what "everything" is. My plan is to check our the air filter, flush the brake and clutch fluid, and replace the brake pads. Then I'll do some parking lot practice and if everything still seems fine, take it to the mountains.

By the way, I was scouting google maps for a parking lot that'd be good for practicing, and it looks like I found the right spot:

http://g.co/maps/96nwc

(That's clearly an MSF class going on)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

frunksock posted:

My bike was parked on the street in the weather and rarely ridden for several years. I've already changed the tires and chain. What else should I check / replace to make sure it's safe to ride hard? Brake pads? Brake fluid? Axles or bearings or whatever? How would I check those? Basically I'm looking for things that could be compromised by long periods of inactivity and exposure to rain.

Is your bike red or green? This is important.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Sir Cornelius posted:

Is your bike red or green? This is important.
Nope.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I think my father and I overfilled by a margin when we changed the oil pan.

And I 'believe' it ended up being vented into my airbox and thus came out my airbox drain when I drained it a few weeks after.

Did we actually hurt anything?

Well like everyone is saying, a bit overfilled is no problem.

If there was a problem, you'd already have a problem by now. But you don't. So there's no problem.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I see a lot of people recommending sv650s for a first bike. Isn't it a bit too powerful to be one?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

An observer posted:

I see a lot of people recommending sv650s for a first bike. Isn't it a bit too powerful to be one?

When i'm not accidentally dropping mine in the garage its fine. I just started riding a few weeks ago but I can handle the power fine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's not that bad. It's on the upper end of what's considered okay to start on but if you're not a mouth breathing retard (most people humble enough to ask aren't) you'll be fine. Chances are pretty good if you wreck it's not due to power it's due to inexperience and panic moments. The SV is sedate enough not to get you in trouble imo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

An observer posted:

I tend to only recommend the sv if the person has some kind of previous riding experience that will help them avoid making stupid mistakes with the controls. So some offroad experience, or riding a scooter, or something like that.

It has enough power that you can power wheelie an sv in first gear if you slap the throttle hard which is why I think some previous experience is a good idea.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Anybody have any experience/opinions on a 97 Honda CBR 600 F3?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

An observer posted:

I'm on my first bike, a Bandit 600, which has similar HP.

Any close calls I've had have been due to me entering corners a bit too hot for comfort, not because of the power. And they probably weren't really close calls, but just felt like it due to inexperience.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 6, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Day Man posted:

Anybody have any experience/opinions on a 97 Honda CBR 600 F3?

For what sort of use/experience level? They're good bikes, but heavy and powerful for a new rider.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

For what sort of use/experience level? They're good bikes, but heavy and powerful for a new rider.

Yeah, I meant for a new rider. I have experience on ATV's, but none on motorcycles. I have a lead on a really cheap CBR that's running but scratched up. Seeing people recommend the SV650 makes me wonder if the CBR would be alright for a new rider as well.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Day Man posted:

Yeah, I meant for a new rider. I have experience on ATV's, but none on motorcycles. I have a lead on a really cheap CBR that's running but scratched up. Seeing people recommend the SV650 makes me wonder if the CBR would be alright for a new rider as well.

A Vtwin (the SV650) and an inline four (CBR) are apples and oranges in terms of displacement. Look at a dyno chart for each and you'll see why.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Bloody Queef posted:

A Vtwin (the SV650) and an inline four (CBR) are apples and oranges in terms of displacement. Look at a dyno chart for each and you'll see why.

Yeah, I thought the SV was reccomended also because the power of the vtwin is constant while the I4 can get you into trouble very quick?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Thanks for the advice re: sv650, guys. :)

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Salvage title and he says he fixed it himself? Probably not a safe bet?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2991698980.html

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

JD posted:

Salvage title and he says he fixed it himself? Probably not a safe bet?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2991698980.html

Doesn't know the difference between brakes and a break? Hmm. The weld looks clean, though.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tenchrono posted:

Yeah, I thought the SV was reccomended also because the power of the vtwin is constant while the I4 can get you into trouble very quick?

Exactly. Also the CBR has a lot more peak horsepower too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you have the self control to not get into the high rev ranges, you'll be fine on the CBR as a new bike. They're more upright than more modern supersports, which is good for new riders and street use.

I don't really agree with the general consensus on the SV being an absolutely great beginner bike. The problem with the SV is exactly what people say...you have a bunch of torque at low RPM, so if you give it too much gas and dump the clutch it's going to shoot forward and probably wheelie a bit. If you do that on the CBR you might stall and jerk but it's really unlikely it's going to launch you forward really fast.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I've always been a level headed, defensive driver who doesn't speed on public roads. I'll keep looking around in case I find something better, but staying out of the high rpm range wouldn't be a problem. I like this one as it's super cheap, and since it's already scratched up, it doesn't matter if I'm an idiot and drop it while parking or something.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
On a similar note, tell me about the idea of a first-gen ('87 to '07) KLR650 for a new rider. I'm a tall guy and they're one that keeps getting recommended to me for height reasons. Also, a dual is appealing given the lovely local roads: a lot of potholes, washboard, cheap repairs, and lumpy general neglect (Fredericksburg, VA).

e: Moving this to the "Tell me what bike to buy" thread.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 7, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Splizwarf posted:

On a similar note, tell me about the idea of a first-gen ('87 to '07) KLR650 for a new rider. I'm a tall guy and they're one that keeps getting recommended to me for height reasons. Also, a dual is appealing given the lovely local roads: a lot of potholes, washboard, cheap repairs, and lumpy general neglect (Fredericksburg, VA).

It's an absolutely bulletproof bike, once the doohickey is done. Mine is >30,000 miles and still running strong. I've crashed it and it doesn't care, it just keeps going.

It's a bit of a compromise -- not a great offroader like a dedicated dirt bike and not a great touring bike -- but it gets the job done again and again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Please elaborate on doohickey?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Splizwarf posted:

Please elaborate on doohickey?

The KLR doohickey is apparently widely known

though the more technical term for it is the Balancer Chain Adjuster Lever

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

An observer posted:

Thanks for the advice re: sv650, guys. :)

I started on an SV650 with my only previous experience being a manual car and riding a bicycle when I was (way) younger. I feel that the power is extremely manageable at all RPM's because you're not getting any surges at weird RPM's. The power is definitely there, but I could ride the bike all day long accelerating at a snail's pace if I wanted. It only goes as fast as you want it to.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Xovaan posted:

I started on an SV650 with my only previous experience being a manual car and riding a bicycle when I was (way) younger. I feel that the power is extremely manageable at all RPM's because you're not getting any surges at weird RPM's. The power is definitely there, but I could ride the bike all day long accelerating at a snail's pace if I wanted. It only goes as fast as you want it to.

I agree with this. I was messing around on the R6 earlier and it really does surprise me still how hard it pulls if you grab throttle around 10k rpms. SV's are pretty linear from the start in my experience making them easy to get to know quickly.

The R6 especially probably feels REALLY tame to someone new until 6k when it gets a little more balls and then 8 or 9 when it really starts to pull. I could see that ending badly in a panic situation.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How am I supposed to get the carbs back on a 1984 magna 500? Got new boots, greased them up and pushed for like 2 hours. Only the fronts went in. By my best guess, this is physically impossible. How did they assemble this thing in the first place?

broke them tables!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 7, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like each one has two sets of hose clamps and you've only undone one. Hose clamps in tight spaces are terrible to work with, but the orifice needs to be fully relaxed and properly lubricated to ensure successful penetration.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Bloody Queef posted:

Is there any particular website that has stock dyno charts that are available to compare bikes?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ola posted:

Looks like each one has two sets of hose clamps and you've only undone one. Hose clamps in tight spaces are terrible to work with, but the orifice needs to be fully relaxed and properly lubricated to ensure successful penetration.

I'm not really THIS immature, but for some reason this made me :laugh: a bit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That makes sense, I'll loosen the bottom clamps and try again. We do have some grease in the mix already.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

That makes sense, I'll loosen the bottom clamps and try again. We do have some grease in the mix already.

I usually find it easier to mount the boots on the cylinder flange(s) first, and then press the carburetor(s) in place. But yes, you'll have to loosen both clamps on each boot. For lubrication use a few drops of silicone oil.

This is my best partner for intake-boot-battles:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 7, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also, it's normal for that to be a horrible pain in the rear end. All the Japanese I4 engines make that job torture, and you don't even have to deal with the different cylinder angles on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

iwentdoodie posted:

If I was a cop and saw some guy with tires bungee corded to his back, I'd probably look twice.

I strapped my tires to the Uly for the 30 mile interstate ride to the shop I got them changed at. No drama. I imagine it's just like anything, if it's strapped down and secure, it shouldn't be a problem.