Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pick one of those things and get a lot better at it. things will shape up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

pick a couple things, kick the poo poo out of them, move on.

yep, just need to figure out which things those are going to be

probably wind up hacking some stuff up in perl or ruby, i like those the most out of what i've tried

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

fidel sarcastro posted:

yep, just need to figure out which things those are going to be

probably wind up hacking some stuff up in perl or ruby, i like those the most out of what i've tried

aim a bit higher. learn something loving hard... i don't have good examples because i'm lame but just learning a language is easy compared to the magnitude of some of the problems you will encounter if you're anything above a code monkey.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

aim a bit higher. learn something loving hard... i don't have good examples because i'm lame but just learning a language is easy compared to the magnitude of some of the problems you will encounter if you're anything above a code monkey.

mmm yes. a thorough understanding of a language is usually a terrible place to start. i mean, how are you gonna motivate yourself to reinvent the wheel if you already know it exists?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

mmm yes. a thorough understanding of a language is usually a terrible place to start. i mean, how are you gonna motivate yourself to reinvent the wheel if you already know it exists?

maybe it's just me but the complexity of learning the idiosyncrasies of a language is not only boring but it's simply not hard, it's just tedious.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
but i guess if that's all you can handle then aim for that i guess. congrats on your mediocrity

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tbf i did say make some things, not sit down and read the camel book cover to cover

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

tbf i did say make some things, not sit down and read the camel book cover to cover

your comment emphasized language over problem. use whatever language you like man (woman?) just solve the problem well.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i wouldnt use perl for learning computer science topics

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

i had to write code to generate smooth curves through arbitrary-sized lists of points on a polygon using only quadratic curves, and do it at 30fps so shove your backend elitism up your rear end you mincing loving human being
lol calm down rotor goddamn

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ppp posted:

i wouldnt use perl for learning computer science topics

http://perl.plover.com/lambda/tpj.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

but i guess if that's all you can handle then aim for that i guess. congrats on your mediocrity

the best way to do it is to learn the tools then go find a problem that needs solving. you can worry about the solutions once you've found the problem.

for example, i'm currently working on an iphone app for women who have had to terminate pregnancies due to birth defects. through some voodoo of my own, the screen recognizes when tears are falling on it and pops up a message saying, "Why are you crying? We had a discussion about this you know."

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

your comment emphasized language over problem. use whatever language you like man (woman?) just solve the problem well.

that's fair

but at the end of the day it'll likely wind up being one of those two because i like them best, not because of any hang-up on language

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

the best way to do it is to learn the tools then go find a problem that needs solving. you can worry about the solutions once you've found the problem.

for example, i'm currently working on an iphone app for women who have had to terminate pregnancies due to birth defects. through some voodoo of my own, the screen recognizes when tears are falling on it and pops up a message saying, "Why are you crying? We had a discussion about this you know."

i wish that app was around for your mom when she aborted you

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

http://perl.plover.com/lambda/tpj.html

i still wouldnt use perl for learning computer science topics

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

i wish that app was around for your mom when she aborted you

same re: your mother, she might not have changed her mind in a moment of weakness

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
lets use a hash with sequentially ordered keys to learn about searching and sorting

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lets use some hash in a non-sealed bag at teh border to learn about unlawful search and seizure

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

nukethewhales posted:

same re: your mother, she might not have changed her mind in a moment of weakness

a shameful combination of "rah rah" and "rubber/glue" posting

perhaps for your next trick you get out

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
Lua ftw, folks

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
just lettin everybody know ruby is pretty neat

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ahhh spiders posted:

Lua ftw, folks

I'm reading programming in lua and having trouble seeing it. 0 is true, strings are immutable. I'm not seeing any advantage to lua over perl on a scripting level.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Casao posted:

I'm reading programming in lua and having trouble seeing it. 0 is true, strings are immutable. I'm not seeing any advantage to lua over perl on a scripting level.

lua has boolean values, why the gently caress are you using numbers

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
false and nil are false, everything else is true

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
also, comparing lua to perl is so loving stupid that i don't even know why i'm responding

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ahhh spiders posted:

also, comparing lua to perl is so loving stupid that i don't even know why i'm responding

These two scripting languages are so different!!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Casao posted:

These two scripting languages are so different!!

yes

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

ahhh spiders posted:

false and nil are false, everything else is true

lol you're serious. holy poo poo what a dumb language

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol you're serious. holy poo poo what a dumb language

please loving kill yourself you worthless troll

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ahhh spiders posted:

yes

Yeah I'm reading through and finding terrible decisions lua made that make it different. I'm not finding anything that would prevent you from comparing them.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Casao posted:

Yeah I'm reading through and finding terrible decisions lua made that make it different. I'm not finding anything that would prevent you from comparing them.

because they have completely different applications. also, you haven't really explained what's terrible

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ahhh spiders posted:

because they have completely different applications. also, you haven't really explained what's terrible

0 considered true sounds p terrible

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

0 considered true sounds p terrible

if you actually thought about it for more than 2 seconds you would understand the reasoning behind it, but you're a php developer

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

nope you can think about it all you want and it'll still be really stupid

0 == false == the number of good posts you have ever made

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
stfu tiny bug child. grown-ups are trying to talk

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ahhh spiders posted:

Is luas being super lightweight to bolt onto other things easily? Cause I can see that, otherwise I'm not yet seeing a case where I could want to use lua over perl. That's the only excuse for using their lovely custom backed regex, for example.

And sorry, 0 = true is some php poo poo right there. Immutable strings are pretty wtf too. Non-standard regex, vestigial coercion that they explicitly recommend you not use. Automatically assuming an index that resolves to nil is the end of the table.

Thats just what I've read so far that has left a sour taste. I plan to read on, because an easily portable language like this is pretty useful and I keep seeing it pop up.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ahhh spiders posted:

stfu tiny bug child. grown-ups are trying to talk

ahhh spiders posted:

i had over 40,000 posts in YCS on this account and never got forums cancer

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I can see the reasoning behind 0 being true, but having it false is still super convenient.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Casao posted:

Is luas being super lightweight to bolt onto other things easily? Cause I can see that, otherwise I'm not yet seeing a case where I could want to use lua over perl. That's the only excuse for using their lovely custom backed regex, for example.

And sorry, 0 = true is some php poo poo right there. Immutable strings are pretty wtf too. Non-standard regex, vestigial coercion that they explicitly recommend you not use. Automatically assuming an index that resolves to nil is the end of the table.

Thats just what I've read so far that has left a sour taste. I plan to read on, because an easily portable language like this is pretty useful and I keep seeing it pop up.

??
> print(0 == true)
false

it evaluates to true because it's a non-nil value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ronald Raiden posted:

I can see the reasoning behind 0 being true, but having it false is still super convenient.

This.