Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Nomnom Cookie posted:

shitrotorsays.txt

nice comeback, rotor is old, interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
be a cool dude who can write code in any language

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

nice comeback, rotor is old, interesting

ur old I didn't know that!! :wth: i only meant your wrong but if yo uare old too than that makes a lot of cents!!!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
hmm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that's my feeling as well

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ahhh spiders posted:

why are you changing the same string so many times? get it right the first time

literally choked on some water reading this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Seems like people are sperging out aggressively about poo poo that's only applicable in a very narrow set of circumstances, interesting

It's as though they just assume all of their assumptions are absolute truths

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gentle Autist posted:

Seems like people are sperging out aggressively about poo poo that's only applicable in a very narrow set of circumstances, interesting

It's as though they just assume all of their assumptions are absolute truths

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
I'm doing the Stanford logic course on coursera it's pretty cool

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Web platform of the future: R running under rApache

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pfffft its just a language don't get all messed up about it

everyone has their fav or the one they are best at or their first love when they got their first atari and plugged its rf converter lovingly into the back of the television and it was a magical, beautiful, sexual thing...

but its not like you are trapped on an island with it or married to it or something

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
i wrote a CGI app in R, it literally ran a new R process for every request and is the most horrifying thing ever

it was only used very briefly for one specific thing and worked fine and will never be used again but i'm still tempted to rewrite it all so nobody finds out how it actually worked

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
R is a complete monster and i use it constantly and it's growing like crazy and has a billion packages to do useful stats crap

but holy christ do not let anyone ever tell you it's anything but retarded as a language

edit: Evaluating the Design of the R Language http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/pubs/ecoop12.pdf
"adding an extra (and unneeded) return statement or a pair of parentheses () will impact performance in a noticeable way" what the gently caress

PENETRATION TESTS fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 7, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

R is a complete monster and i use it constantly and it's growing like crazy and has a billion packages to do useful stats crap

but holy christ do not let anyone ever tell you it's anything but retarded as a language

i had some r poo poo that made a webpage with some boss control charts on it so i could tell what happened in the fab while i was drooling on my pillow sleeping all night and it is the tits for making charts

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kwinkles posted:

pfffft its just a language don't get all messed up about it

everyone has their fav or the one they are best at or their first love when they got their first atari and plugged its rf converter lovingly into the back of the television and it was a magical, beautiful, sexual thing...

but its not like you are trapped on an island with it or married to it or something

obviously and i'm learning lua cause it does do some things i'm intrigued by

but drat some of their syntactical choices just make my teeth itch cause they're not how i think

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

i wrote a CGI app in R, it literally ran a new R process for every request and is the most horrifying thing ever
CGI is a perfectly fine way to run code

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
yeah I don't care about that CoC argument

the CGI overhead was nothing compared to the time it takes R to start, load several libraries (somehow this is really slow?), read in the various files that maintained state ugghhh it was awful

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah I don't care about that CoC argument

the CGI overhead was nothing compared to the time it takes R to start, load several libraries (somehow this is really slow?), read in the various files that maintained state ugghhh it was awful

use fastcgi and just never exit

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
there is a whole spectrum of faster/more efficient/more complicated and i picked the solution one notch better than pen and paper

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

use fastcgi and just never exit

this is in contrast to using a fast girl and exiting as quick as you can - but only of consequence to about 20% of yosposters

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
apparently LuaJIT is really loving fast

...apropos of nothing

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
last bunch of pages have all been "my language is better because *faaaaart" and I hear that all the time so if everyone could either shut up, start posting constructively or at least entertainingly (lol like that's gonna happen) or if we could get this shitheap closed, that would be cool.

just stop flinging poo poo and nothing else yall, if you are going to fling poo poo at least fling something interesting too. Are we out of interesting things to fling? (I sure am)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Lua ftw, folks

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

edit: Evaluating the Design of the R Language http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/pubs/ecoop12.pdf
"adding an extra (and unneeded) return statement or a pair of parentheses () will impact performance in a noticeable way" what the gently caress

the answer is clojure + incanter

use the best language (a lisp) on the best platform (the jvm) to do cool stats poo poo (via incanter, an R-esque package)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

the answer is clojure + incanter

use the best language (a lisp) on the best platform (the jvm) to do cool stats poo poo (via incanter, an R-esque package)

are you for real

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

are you for real

all three are good, if you need to do those sorts of things

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
apparently XLISP-STAT was the winning platform in some sense until R came along and people switched over

poor lisp

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
R is really good but it's clear to me it's a stats package first and a language second.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ronald Raiden posted:

last bunch of pages have all been "my language is better because *faaaaart" and I hear that all the time so if everyone could either shut up, start posting constructively or at least entertainingly (lol like that's gonna happen) or if we could get this shitheap closed, that would be cool.

how about you shut the gently caress up

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

R is really good but it's clear to me it's a stats package first and a language second.

julia is picking up some steam :toot:

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
yeah it's promising but gonna be a while before it's worth using

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there is a whole spectrum of faster/more efficient/more complicated and i picked the solution one notch better than pen and paper

fastcgi is actually stupid simple as long as you've written your poo poo to sit and wait for input instead of start on input then exit

also as long as you can get a result quickly

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
R is cool for making charts for your paper you wrote in LaTeX

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ur old I didn't know that!! :wth: i only meant your wrong but if yo uare old too than that makes a lot of cents!!!

your posting is always pretty poo poo but this one in particular was offensively bad. please leave and never return.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so i guess this is the thread for this. got a fun text from my dad, who wrote visual basic for three years in the 90s:

quote:

If I wanted to write my own simple web browser, what would be the best language to learn?
didn't know where to being with that one
half an hour later while i'm still trying to wrap my brain around that, i get another

quote:

Ok looks like the answer is c++ according to what I found online...

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

rotor posted:

check it out, its a guy who has never paid attention to what the garbage collector does

*makes a billion temporary objects*
goddamn java is so slow gently caress this poo poo sucks

eh have you done this on the newer generational gcs

iirc you can literally create a billion strings in a tight loop and they all get swept away almost immediately without loving up the heap

ahhh spiders posted:

be a cool dude who can write trivial code in any fotm language

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

rotor posted:

how about you shut the gently caress up

sorry, that was a drunkpost.

carry on thread, i'll quit bitching.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all programming languages are terrible