Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah but it comes down to what's comfortable to you. That was my buddy's first WERA race so he was legitimately trying to go fast :). He rides elbows out 'cause that's what's comfortable.

Z3n posted:

Bonus if you can do it without even getting a knee down.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The gap in the knee is what makes that picture so much more funny.

I will never be that cool :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

Yeah but it comes down to what's comfortable to you. That was my buddy's first WERA race so he was legitimately trying to go fast :). He rides elbows out 'cause that's what's comfortable.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That's what it feels like when I hang off the ninja. :v:

I got some info about OVRP racetrack (since my local one is closed now) and they run qualifying runs in the morning instead of heats. This is for supermoto. Does this mean if I suck I'm going home early? I really wish there were just simple practice days but that seems to be a rarity for sumo around here.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

That's what it feels like when I hang off the ninja. :v:

I got some info about OVRP racetrack (since my local one is closed now) and they run qualifying runs in the morning instead of heats. This is for supermoto. Does this mean if I suck I'm going home early? I really wish there were just simple practice days but that seems to be a rarity for sumo around here.

Probably just determines your position on the starting grid.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

If that's the case it's the same as I was doing last year. Don't have to worry about people passing me then. :v:

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
Went to a track day at the Ridge on Friday and had an awesome day. The weather forecast was for rain all day, but it ended up that we had a couple light sprinkles in the first couple sessions and blue sky the rest of the day. The Ridge is a super fun track. It's got steep corners, blind corners, tight corners, and a steep tight blind corner that also happens to be number 13.

This is the one time I went off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEyOMoxat7A
I missed the blind start of the turn and target fixated on the run off instead of recovering. The rest of the day I was careful to aim for a tree during the start of the turn that happened to roughly line up with the apex.

This is the video of the session after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JQW90mmQDQ

A couple of things I was noticing during the day:
  • I'm squaring off the exit to some of the corners. I think I could be faster if I let myself go a bit wider and got on the gas a bit earlier/harder.
  • I'm not good at estimating entry speed into corners. I'm guessing this is just something that comes with practice.
  • I think my body position is off. I'm not sure how, it just feels really awkward.
  • I need to find somewhere else to put the GoPro. On top of the helmet may seem like a good idea, but at the end of the straight-away it pulls up hard.

I think the next track day I do I'll sign up for a rider school. I don't want to get into any bad habits that will be harder to break in the future.

anchorite fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 10, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Bazacko, Gullous, Spiffness and I were at Ridge Saturday and Sunday. Great times, I got a chance to take the RS out for the first time, Gullous was asked to move to A group, the new front end on Spiffness's SV was awesome, and Bazacko lowsided my KTM. :argh: (no real damage to either of them though)

The RS was very hard to ride, we raised the seat 2 inches with shop towels and duct tape so I could move my legs, the close ratio transmission combined with no power below 9k rpm was a real challenge for me coming off of the KTM.

I overheated the rear brake a couple times because I was unintentionally riding it. Then I lost a bolt and spacer on the rear set and rode the KTM for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unc0B4sgAIo&list=UUmvv0_JU1jo1o00ia48Lm6w&index=1&feature=plcp

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

anchorite posted:

I think the next track day I do I'll sign up for a rider school. I don't want to get into any bad habits that will be harder to break in the future.

Hey, you missed the whole gang!

Didn't know there was another gooner out there. What group where you riding in and what were you on?

Shoot a PM next time you ride with Motofit, 2fast or PSSR. Chances are, we're there too.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

I really like these videos with just the sound of the engine and a first person view camera for full laps. Plus I feel like I'm learning the track just watching all of these videos of it.

Is the amount of shaking of the windscreen/front fairing due to wind or is the bike chattering or something?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Resource posted:

I really like these videos with just the sound of the engine and a first person view camera for full laps. Plus I feel like I'm learning the track just watching all of these videos of it.

Is the amount of shaking of the windscreen/front fairing due to wind or is the bike chattering or something?

The fairing mounts can slide around a little bit, so it shakes like crazy.

Spiffness posted:

Hey, you missed the whole gang!

Didn't know there was another gooner out there. What group where you riding in and what were you on?
He was there Friday.

Zool fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

He was there Friday.

Whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhVjwMxtvuk

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Thank god... less than a week until the first race weekend of the season. I don't race, but I flag and the long winter months suck just as much. Rumour also has it that some rich rear end in a top hat bought a desmo and is setting it up for the track... he had a pretty fancy 1198R last year, so who knows. I may have to take some photographs if this is the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think I've said this before, but it's worth repeating:

Thank you for flagging for us stupid idiots on the track. It's a thankless job but without you guys we wouldn't have the safety buffer to do what we do.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Ridge was a blast on Sat/Sun, can't wait to go back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zrhfWGQQpk

I picked up 7 seconds from my last (dry) day :dance:

Dude had to lay 'er down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvtR_JZ5F-0&t=1130s
Bazacko and Spiffness are in there at ~8:45

Bazacko approves

I followed Zool on the RS and KTM for a lap, but neither recorded. :smith:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 8, 2012

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Z3n posted:

I think I've said this before, but it's worth repeating:

Thank you for flagging for us stupid idiots on the track. It's a thankless job but without you guys we wouldn't have the safety buffer to do what we do.

Thanks! You racer folk normally keep us entertained, so it's a two way street, of course. I will try to snap some pics this weekend, I'll probably be doing race control so probably very little (ie none) on track stuff, but i'll try to find some interesting stuff.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

What would I google to find tracks to fart around in in the novice groups? The closest track I can find near me is Virginia International Raceway but thats a 3+ hour ride. Im near Quantico VA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Fack, I just hear the sound of the bikes winding up and I have to close the window because it makes me sad :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I hopped on Spiffness's bike for one session and made a respectable 2:11. His fastest was a 2:06. The GSXR front end with monoblock calipers feels terrific.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-O_x8pRSw&feature=g-user-u

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I'm so envious of that new track you guys have :arghfist::smith:

Watched vids from my one and only trackday of 2011 last night... man I need to get back out and ride!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tenchrono posted:

What would I google to find tracks to fart around in in the novice groups? The closest track I can find near me is Virginia International Raceway but thats a 3+ hour ride. Im near Quantico VA.

Look up sport bike track time or any other group that does track days and see where they are running. VIR is a great track even at 3 hours away. I'm 3+ hours from any track but it's worth the drive.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Two more videos.

I can't believe these were my two fastest laps, 2:06 and a bunch of 2:08's, but I chose this one since it's continuous. But it really doesn't look like it should be my fastest lap. It was the 3rd session of the weekend and I wasn't even trying to go fast yet. Maybe that tells me something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHOoEvcLDuQ

Not sure when this one is from but I really like the rear cam view for the drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Qlqpr49L0

Edit: The long sweeping lefts also did a number on my tires. I've V'ed off track tires before, but the left side is almost hexagonal, as there are two corners that stress the hell out of one particular lean angle, and the rest of the lefts use the rest of the tire. I've outlined whats happened in the picture below:

Where the two angles on the left meet, the tire is completely gone down to the base rubber. The middle has all the life in the world left :(

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 9, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure there is a Nascar joke to be made here.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Too bad they're Michelins, otherwise those would be perfect commuting tires.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got measured at 96dB last time at the track, going all out in third gear down the finishing straight. Bikes (DRZ) got a full Yoshi stainless with the silencer insert. Now I've looked it up and the insert is actually rated to 96dB so no complaints there, and the track is rated for 100dB, but for some hosed up reason (whiny old lady living three km away) they "inform" every motard that goes over 95dB because according to the tracks permission motards are in fact not allowed after 9pm (this was after 9pm). Yes, that is how it is written. Doesn't matter if you have a DRZ or a SXV, stock or full race exhaust. Motard = not allowed after 9pm. Why do I get the feeling that whoever wrote that permission don't know too much about bikes?

Any suggestions that don't involve putting the stock exhaust back on?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Could you talk to the club/track organizer, maybe they could stand a little further back ;) Either repack your current exhaust or run fairings :v: I'd look for a loophole or buddy up with the people enforcing them.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I got measured at 96dB last time at the track, going all out in third gear down the finishing straight. Bikes (DRZ) got a full Yoshi stainless with the silencer insert. Now I've looked it up and the insert is actually rated to 96dB so no complaints there, and the track is rated for 100dB, but for some hosed up reason (whiny old lady living three km away) they "inform" every motard that goes over 95dB because according to the tracks permission motards are in fact not allowed after 9pm (this was after 9pm). Yes, that is how it is written. Doesn't matter if you have a DRZ or a SXV, stock or full race exhaust. Motard = not allowed after 9pm. Why do I get the feeling that whoever wrote that permission don't know too much about bikes?

Any suggestions that don't involve putting the stock exhaust back on?

What does getting below 95dB get you? Will they let you out after 9 even though they aren't supposed too?

But yeah, repack the silencer, put rtv in any joints in the pipe. Maybe put in a restrictor.

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 9, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zool posted:

What does getting below 95dB get you? Will they let you out after 9 even though they aren't supposed too?

I simply don't want to be the reason their permit is revoked. The organizers don't really care beyond that, I've never been turned away for being too loud or told I can't go out after nine. It's not like I'm the loudest bike there, it's just that I have one of those motards, they explode peoples ear drums of something (according to the county administrative board).

The really hosed up thing here is that they have a full on motocross track 400m farther away, but their permit says nothing about 9pm or whatever. But you see, they don't ride motards. (I need a crying motard smilie).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like this photo because it showcases what it's like to track an SV... keep that throttle ringed out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Our track day yesterday which was a rain date for one two weeks ago got a ton of rain. Rained from 2-11am or so. For some reason we decided to just wait out the rain so we started running around noon.

Had two great sessions in the wet on the CRF, getting comfortable with a bike sliding a bit again. Third session was dry and I got pulled in after 5 laps because the bike felt/sounded strange.

Stop and notice my swingarm is covered in oil, airbox is full of oil and turns out they were about to black flag me for putting up a smoke cloud. :suicide:

So I either fix the CRF or finish the SV for my track day on Memorial Day. Right now I'm leaning towards the SV.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Invision/Veritas I am about 50% of going to TWS on Sunday with Ridesmart. I haven't booked yet but they appear to still allow you to register. I love the poo poo out of TWS.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I hate you guys with a track literally an hour or two away. The closest real track to me is a good 7 hour drive, including crossing the border :(

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

MrZig posted:

I hate you guys with a track literally an hour or two away. The closest real track to me is a good 7 hour drive, including crossing the border :(

3 (I think - TWS, GSS, MSRH..missing anything?) within 1.5 hours and more further out. Plus new track being built in Austin.

One of the few truly good things about motorcycling in Houston.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MrZig posted:

Many years ago I drove 8 hours one way to drift my car at lancaster speedway...in the drift car. Kirkey seat, roll cage and no A/C. It was pretty dumb because there was no runoff at the track and no spare parts for a JDM engine but stuff like that is definitely do-able if you just take your time and make a three-day weekend out of it. When I finally got a truck and trailer I just enjoyed driving the whole rig to new places and trying out different hotels and restaurants.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Plus Zig, you only have to make it to Seattle before you can hitch a ride with one of us local track addict goons.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from+...pRmUlEA&t=m&z=7

quote:

556 km, 6 hours 33 mins
:(

I'll be one of those guys on the side of the road hitch hiking with a dog, and a sign that says Seattle, except instead of a dog it'll be a beat up track bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MrZig posted:

:(

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from:...3L2JdZQ&t=m&z=7

Ain't so bad if you go direct.

Edit: fixed link, durr

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 11, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
double post

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 11, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There is a road course in Spokane, but I don't see any trackday's scheduled for it. Of course their website is poo poo: http://www.spokaneracewaypark.com/ No email or calendar.

:smith:

Nvm: http://www.inlandspeed.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For those of you with a track bike that also sees some (limited) street use, what tires are you using?

The CRF needs better tires, the SV needs tires. They both see some street riding which is spent in the mountains and other fun roads, will see very little rain unless it rains at the track. I'm running fast novice to intermediate pace and would prefer to avoid tire warmers for now.

I'm not super worried about being DOT legal but it would nice. Something that is easy to find as a take off would be even better. 120 front, 160 rear.

• Locked thread