Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

silverbullitt850 posted:

What is this calculator you speak of?

Thread

Download

This is the latest (and possibly last) update to the tuning calculator. It includes all cars up to the April DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does the Forza 3 flash based calculator work well for forza 4 ? I can't be bothered with spreadsheets, but there are a few racecars I need to get a baseline tune for.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

jonathan posted:

Does the Forza 3 flash based calculator work well for forza 4 ? I can't be bothered with spreadsheets, but there are a few racecars I need to get a baseline tune for.

Not really, no. It's running a rather old version of fuererdog's calculations. This one has a more recent verion that's given some pretty reliable baselines though:

http://myforzagarage.com/V5tuning_m.php

Also, that spreadsheet seems to be a little too concerned with making the car stable under braking. I've had to completely ignore whatever caster and brake setting it gives because they always seem to cause massive understeer on corner exits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You know you can change multipliers to get yourself more or less understeer or oversteer.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

jonathan posted:

I have had luck with Forzadroid, I know it isn't flash based, but I am pretty sure it is for 3.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Jarf posted:

Thread

Download

This is the latest (and possibly last) update to the tuning calculator. It includes all cars up to the April DLC.

I like the tuning calculator for messing with gear ratios since the interface in the game sucks, but the suspension part has always seemed kind of sketchy to me since it just looks at your car's weight ratio and sets your spring rates (and maybe dampers?) to match that ratio, and I don't think that's how car suspensions are usually set up. Also I ended up with a number of cars that do this bizarre rocking/bottoming out thing under heavy braking. Unfortunately suspension tuning is complete wizardry to me so I don't know anywhere better to look.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I like the tuning calculator for messing with gear ratios since the interface in the game sucks, but the suspension part has always seemed kind of sketchy to me since it just looks at your car's weight ratio and sets your spring rates (and maybe dampers?) to match that ratio, and I don't think that's how car suspensions are usually set up. Also I ended up with a number of cars that do this bizarre rocking/bottoming out thing under heavy braking. Unfortunately suspension tuning is complete wizardry to me so I don't know anywhere better to look.

In a real race car, spring rates are usually calculated based on the ability to keep the car from bottoming out while keeping enough wheel travel to conform to bumps but nit so much that your camber, caster, toe etc aren't changing too much. Basically your spring rate and spring length do its best to keep your suspension in its sweet spot.

Dampers act to control the rate of movement in an attempt to keep the tire touch the tarmac as much as possible.

Swap bars control body roll in combination with the springs and also help with the balance of the car. A under steer/over steer condition is usually tuned with sway bar adjustments.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I went into some a-class rivals with my Ford Raptor and beat a much of mid-pack records. Pushing 950 +- horsepower and 4400lbs on race tires and a pi of 599.

Kind of fun in pubbie races too since it doesn't turn well but loving motors out of the turns. Since pubbies go into the turns too hot and blow their exits, this truck pulls away as soon as you get onto the straight. I hung in 3rd until I tipped on the last turn of road Atlanta.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I've always wanted to get a truck series going.

Did you put that raptor in the club garage or on your storefront?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrPain posted:

I've always wanted to get a truck series going.

Did you put that raptor in the club garage or on your storefront?

I can't because the paint design I downloaded for it is locked. So it gives me an error. Is there a way around that ? Could I share it, and then add the paint job after ?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

jonathan posted:

I can't because the paint design I downloaded for it is locked. So it gives me an error. Is there a way around that ? Could I share it, and then add the paint job after ?
Yes. Put on a default or otherwise unlocked paint job, then share the truck. You can then put the locked paint back on, and while the game will complain that it's now out-of-sync with the club garage, it'll still be on there.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Wow, that B500 Austin Healy is a monster.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Wow, that B500 Austin Healy is a monster.

Fujimi was fun as hell. That stupid gutless Alfa just can't get up out of 2nd gear and as such I had the Transit of doom on my arse the whole way up.

But coming down, its so freaking light that it's an absolute dream to drive.

The top spec cars are fun to drive and all, but I much prefer the A class and below to race in.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Vettel's 2013 RB9.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

A Porsche!

1995 Porsche 911 GT2

They've created a gallery on facebook for them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JingleBells beat me to the first car. This showed up on their Facebook before Twitter, suppose to be the other way around. :P

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The comments are predictably :ughh:

WHY YOU CHARGE FOR THIS TURN 10 SUXXXXXXXXX.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

The comments are predictably :ughh:

WHY YOU CHARGE FOR THIS TURN 10 SUXXXXXXXXX.

$20 is a really good deal for what we're getting. Turn-10 went back and did all the Porsche's from Forza 3, and updated them to Forza 4 DLC quality.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

$20 is a really good deal for what we're getting. Turn-10 went back and did all the Porsche's from Forza 3, and updated them to Forza 4 DLC quality.

lol $20! Each one of them better have an autovista presentation which also happens to blow me.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It would actually be nice to get an Autovista 911 or two, unironically.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

jonathan posted:

lol $20! Each one of them better have an autovista presentation which also happens to blow me.

Right? This pack is,

"Hey guys, we were all set to put them in the game, and in fact we made events for all of them too! But, at the last minute, EA decided to make a deal with us where we weren't allowed to release these cars for 6 months. We were bummed until they got us onto the idea of making them a DLC! So, what we did was make a deal where we didn't have to pay for the rights to use them, but in return we had to charge our users for these cars that we had already put into the game. See, we only get $10 of every Porsche DLC we sell, EA gets the other half. Point is, we get EVEN RICHER! Isn't that awesome guys? We promise we'll use it to make more track packs send all of our employees on vacation!

Love,

Dan Greenwalt"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ANAmal.net posted:

It would actually be nice to get an Autovista 911 or two, unironically.

Especially if they can get Clarkson; They can get 12 Autovistas for the price of 1. Just use the same Jezza speech for every 911.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want the 917k as a autovista car.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I said come in! posted:

I want the 917k as a autovista car.

I'd rather have the 917k as an autovista car and the 917/30 as a driving car.

OR BOTH

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Both of these will be fine additions to the game. Badned has hinted as much as he possibly can, without outright saying it, that the 917k is in the Porsche Expansion. He knows the exact list of cars, but won't say anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bring you this weeks Goon Spec race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aAgZktgNANk

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dont get me wrong a Porsche car pack is cool, but we already have RUF. A yellowbird dlc would be just as welcome as an entire Porsche pack.

I'd rather turn 10 dud some more track packs. Maybe Portland's track, or Mission Raceway in BC, which is a 2 hour drive from Microsoft's building.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

jonathan posted:

Dont get me wrong a Porsche car pack is cool, but we already have RUF. A yellowbird dlc would be just as welcome as an entire Porsche pack.

I'd rather turn 10 dud some more track packs. Maybe Portland's track, or Mission Raceway in BC, which is a 2 hour drive from Microsoft's building.
You are joking, right?

924, 944, 968, 928, Boxter, Cayman, 959, 962, 917, 936, 918...

There's really much more to Porsche than 911.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, pretty much. I've been saying from the start that RUF is really not a substitute for the real thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise, really needs to go look up the history of Porsche.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

silverbullitt850 posted:

Right? This pack is,

"Hey guys, we were all set to put them in the game, and in fact we made events for all of them too! But, at the last minute, EA decided to make a deal with us where we weren't allowed to release these cars for 6 months. We were bummed until they got us onto the idea of making them a DLC! So, what we did was make a deal where we didn't have to pay for the rights to use them, but in return we had to charge our users for these cars that we had already put into the game. See, we only get $10 of every Porsche DLC we sell, EA gets the other half. Point is, we get EVEN RICHER! Isn't that awesome guys? We promise we'll use it to make more track packs send all of our employees on vacation!

Love,

Dan Greenwalt"

Pretty much this. I love T10 and will forever buy Forza + all the DLC but this one does feel like a kick in the nads. All this content was going to be in the game anyway and it looks as though they exploited a bad situation just to cash in on us. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

I will buy it though because :love: Porsche

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick
In the past, Turn 10 has said the reason they shy away from track DLC is because it would alienate non-paying users from participating online. So they should use the ton of money they make from this supposed-to-be-free Porsche pack to give out free track DLC. I wish...

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm actually OK with it. It's the equivalent content of 3 car packs, and the cost is inline with that.

I doubt they had all 30 Porsches ready to go at launch time and just had to hold back for licensing reasons. They at least had time to put Ruf in as their plan B, so probably they shelved the Porches after some internal deadline passed, and added Ruf instead. So your $20 is paying for them to finish up those models and whatnot that didn't get completed and rolled out, because why would they have spent the time and money on that until they were sure EA would actually let them use it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Car #2 today is:

quote:

2011 @Porsche No. 54 Black Swan Racing 911 GT3 Cup in Forza 4.

Google pulls up this:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 7, 2012

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Car #2 today is:

Google pulls up this:

The 2011 Porsche No. 54 Black Swan Racing 911 GT3 Cup:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basically, so far, it's "The 911 Expansion". :manning:

I hope they unveil some of the non-911 cars soon or my enthusiasm will start to decline, and we all know how much Turn 10 hinges their decisions on my enthusiasm.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I bring you this weeks Goon Spec race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aAgZktgNANk

Haha, I was there on Saturday too, on a fact finding mission. I've been trying to find guys that want to put together a team for the one in October so I went to see what kind of cars I'd be up against and what the pit was like since I've never been on a track in my life. We've got a guy from work who also has never been on a track and a dude that did formula sae in college. Still looking for a couple more guys that want to split all the costs evenly.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 7, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Yes xzzy, they've revealed 2 out of 30 cars, which happen to be 911s... this will of course mean that the remaining 28 cars will be 911s.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Porsche is back and that means I'm back as well.

I've been trying to get back into the game, but I can barely play for more than twenty minutes or so before I get bored and quit. Hopefully the Porsche pack gets me playing again.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Falken posted:

Yes xzzy, they've revealed 2 out of 30 cars, which happen to be 911s... this will of course mean that the remaining 28 cars will be 911s.

Curious how many of the cars are 911's with different decals.

I am well versed in the History of Porsche. However, I have little interest in the VW 944 or the VW Toureg Cayman. A 911, a 959, a GT3, and whatever that Le mans 1500hp rear end up in the air race car was would be perfectly reasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

jonathan posted:

Curious how many of the cars are 911's with different decals.

I am well versed in the History of Porsche. However, I have little interest in the VW 944 or the VW Toureg Cayman. A 911, a 959, a GT3, and whatever that Le mans 1500hp rear end up in the air race car was would be perfectly reasonable to me.
The 944 is not powered by a VW engine like the 924 was, and it was built in an Audi factory. Plus, it actually has the engine in the correct place.

• Locked thread