Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
sorry forgot to mention im tethered to bumfuck az does that make a difference????

o thou defense contractors please bestow unto me thy sweet sweet government money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
commute to chandler?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

JawnV6 posted:

commute to chandler?

*upwards nod* how u doin?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rufo posted:

*upwards nod* how u doin?

gj ur hired

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

JawnV6 posted:

commute to chandler?

three hours one way

if i lived anywhere near maricopa county this would be much easier and yet i would hate my life even more!

this job im going for is java jsp tomcat kwakkey i was like holy poo poo its shaggars dream job :wth:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
do you have solid experience doing all the things our last guy was doing before he died

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
we're not just looking for a replacement see, we're looking for a reincarnation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

how can you call it source control if it isn't centrally managed?

right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also every time someone has a problem with svn its because they hosed up their design and multiple people are editing the same stuff. git and other bad source repos are designed to let you ignore everyone elses stuff and just work on your own version without ever checking back into a central trunk.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Shaggar posted:

also every time someone has a problem with svn its because they hosed up their design and multiple people are editing the same stuff. git and other bad source repos are designed to let you ignore everyone elses stuff and just work on your own version without ever checking back into a central trunk.

everyone else is a bad programmer and I don't care what they are committing

point, git

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

also every time someone has a problem with svn its because ... multiple people are editing the same stuff.

:stare: holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Git is pretty customizable. If you want to keep a central repo and require everyone turn in to that then you can do that. Why worry about merging until you want to put it in the central repo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

:stare: holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

if someone edits the same class file as u then ur design is way hosed. even then dealing with resolving a commit in svn is only as huge a fuckup as ur design is.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
shaggar gets it, merging is pretty dumb when you can just play round-robin and take breaks when it's not your turn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my point is if a merge is causing huge grief then ur design is hosed, not ur source control system

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so you've literally never kept config files in source control then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only config that might maybe differ is local configs if say one person is using tomcat locally and another person is using jetty. its easy enough to simply set your "local" maven profile to use an external file for config that doesnt get checked into source control that contains the filtering options specific to your local build. since these are only going to be a small number of options and only relevent to your local computer its not a big deal.

of course the real way to do it is to use the relevent maven plugin to handle whatever runtime you want. that way the config is the same across all platforms.

obv configs for dev/accept/prod profiles would be the same for everyone and not a big deal to merge.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

so you've literally never kept config files in source control then

config...files?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

the only config that might maybe differ is local configs if say one person is using tomcat locally and another person is using jetty.
and all this time i was thinking that you knew there was a world beyond web development

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tomcat config is just one simple example (for web services mind you). if you have some other runtime config thats local specific then it would just work the same way.

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

guys if need to make a web api that will be used by a website and phones what should i use

i don't care about being a big restful knob-slobber, query strings are fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cxf. use jax-ws if ur pro or jax-rs if ur scrub

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

also i do not plan on using xml cause it is gay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no u

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
still usin CVS crew checkin in

occasionally people talk about moving to git but after 12+ years with a bulletproof workflow, why

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Rufo posted:

shaggars gimmick has got boring

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

sorry forgot to mention im tethered to bumfuck az does that make a difference????

o thou defense contractors please bestow unto me thy sweet sweet government money

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

where in AZ? I get job offers/head hunters twice a month in Tucson for various programming jobs.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

CaptainMeatpants posted:

guys if need to make a web api that will be used by a website and phones what should i use

i don't care about being a big restful knob-slobber, query strings are fine

PHP

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
also don't encourage non english speaking poors with utf32 and unicode and whatnot

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Internaut! posted:

occasionally people talk about moving to git but after 12+ years with a bulletproof workflow, why

what happens if you make and commit a directory in your code called Attic?

serious question; never tried it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Internaut! posted:

it's faster

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
unless you need the distributed part of git, svn is better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hint: you dont need the distributed part of git

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol if youre using anything without an equivalent to git stash

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

lol if youre using anything without an equivalent to git stash

something without... revisions :confused: wtf

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ppp posted:

something without... revisions :confused: wtf
that's not what git stash does

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git stash is nice that's true

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but its not like a 4 line shell script can't get you the same thing in svn

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/working-with-restful-services-in-codeigniter-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

but its not like a 4 line shell script can't get you the same thing in svn
a good carpenter doesnt blame his tools

he also doesnt excuse them for being bad though