Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I agree, git *is* bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol can you imagine what a hellish world it would be if you had to write java in a crapass ide on some old windows using svn or sourcesafe

no vim/emacs
no ci
no good source control
poo poo build times
bad verbose code that requires 3 levels of bureaucracy to change
antivirus runs every two hours
computer infected with malware
nobody sees or uses your product ever and you gotta lie to everyone about what you do

*shudder*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here's a cool thing git does by default:

you make changes to branch A, git checkout B, make some changes to branch B to fix a bug real quick

at this point git push origin will push all your changes to both branches because that's clearly the common use case for this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also git is hella slower than svn at my work but idk if that's normal

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

here's a cool thing git does by default:

you make changes to branch A, git checkout B, make some changes to branch B to fix a bug real quick

at this point git push origin will push all your changes to both branches because that's clearly the common use case for this.

lol that is annoying

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

probably desperately needs to be flattened/gc'ed

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

rotor posted:

if you're running windows, it's cause of windows, use mercurial instead

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

if you're running windows, it's cause of windows, use mercurial instead

sadly no

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

also shoot yourself in the face

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

good advice

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

it has never let me down

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

lol can you imagine what a hellish world it would be if you had to write java in a crapass ide on some old windows using svn or sourcesafe

no vim/emacs
no ci
no good source control
poo poo build times
bad verbose code that requires 3 levels of bureaucracy to change
antivirus runs every two hours
computer infected with malware
nobody sees or uses your product ever and you gotta lie to everyone about what you do

*shudder*

this is what p language users actually believe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

yes thats normal. people who complain about svn performance are 3rd worlders connecting to a subversion server over dialup.

setting up a fast svn server that uses ldap is super easy and u can setup a nexus server for ur maven reeps at the same time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git is basically svn with a useless extra step you have to do for everything

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

you guys should get that stockholm syndrome looked at by a doctor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
git is way faster than bitkeeper so it suits my needs

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

still usin CVS crew checkin in

colour me unsurprised.

quote:

occasionally people talk about moving to git but after 12+ years with a bulletproof workflow, why

atomic commits would be nice, eh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CaptainMeatpants posted:

guys if need to make a web api that will be used by a website and phones what should i use

i don't care about being a big restful knob-slobber, query strings are fine

in 'hypermedia/rest' urls are opaque. I guess you must be talking about shaggar/rest.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

i'm the pumpking it's me

hands off keyboards guys i'm coding here

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

rotor posted:

svn is basically git without the best parts and a useless extra step you have to do for everything

ftfy

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

tef posted:

colour me unsurprised.

wait til you crack a history book someday and discover people were successfully developing software all the way back in the 20th century before stuff like git and svn were invented

of course back then we had help, when evaluating potential hires we had to rely on old school metrics like "education" and "experience" instead of "open source project starts" and "blogosphere presence"

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
lol i was talking to a friend who said their company went from git to subversion because the devs kept loving up their repos by not knowing how to use it

fyi if you can't figure out git you should be ashamed to call yourself a developer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
realtalk is notepad++ competent for perling on a windows, so far it meats my kneads but am i missing out on tons of poo poo by not demanding something different

yes i have vim for windows
no i do not really care for it yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh are you loving kidding me

code:
$var{'ABS01'} = '10.0.0.4';
$var{'ABS02'} ='10.0.0.5';
$var{'Firmware'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9'; # oid to get firmware for 3.X
$var{'Firmware_current'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9'; # value of 1 is proper index to use.
$var{'dhcp_pool_oid'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9';
$var{'dhcp_status_oid'} ='8.6.7.5.3.0.9';
$var{'uptime_oid'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9';
$var{'adopted_oid'} =  '8.6.7.5.3.0.9'; # adopted mac's
$var{'unadopted_oid'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9'; # un-adopted mac's
and yes there is a %var2

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
$var{'Firmware_current'} = '8.6.7.5.3.0.9'; # value of 1 is proper index to use.
and yes there is a %var2

Are all of those used globally? As in written to used? Anyway, that's horrible.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Jonny 290 posted:

realtalk is notepad++ competent for perling on a windows, so far it meats my kneads but am i missing out on tons of poo poo by not demanding something different

Notepad++ is good and entirely adequate if you like using it but consider checking out Sublime Text 2 because it's free + works on windows + is Cool As poo poo to use

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

wait til you crack a history book someday

well, I can just wait for you to post more about your exciting development environment. but given cvs is relatively new (only a year older than python), I don't think you get to whine about 'how it was' back in the days before structured programming.

let alone when people wrote things like ratfor, or people argued about the utility of if statements.

quote:

and discover people were successfully developing software all the way back in the 20th century before stuff like git and svn were invented

yup and people still write code as if the last 20 years never happened too.

we've been trying to drag luddites like you away from punchcards and fortran to no avail.

in the end, you'll die and then progress can happen.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jonny 290 posted:

code:

and yes there is a %var2

Komodo IDE if you want a full debugger IDE. Otherwise yeah notepad++ or sublime text own. I've been trying out sublime text and I prefer the look and the completion to notepad++.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

wait til you crack a history book someday

I'm tempted to rebut this by posting my collection of old computer books (I have a few), but you're really not worth it. Even though I like posting books.

Your haughty condescending tone carries an arrogance that can only come from a stubborn refusal to learn from the mistakes of others. You're no worse than the zealots you decry and defame, the key difference being which side of the false dichotomy you sit: 'new' vs 'old'.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I'm saying you are a bad person. pee pee, doo doo, and all that.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Git and Mercurial and distributed source control is usually worth it if only because it lets you work and commit stuff without being connected to whatever server. Oh, how hilarious it is when some server crashes or network splits and half a day of work is lost to some lovely source control software that works over the network without ever thinking the network could go out for some reason.

----

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
and yes there is a %var2

idgi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scrub tier naming

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

idgi

perl :v:

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Give Komodo a try since it's for Perl. The regex builder is pretty badass. Otherwise sublime.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Jonny 290 posted:

notepad++ is the best of the "editors that aren't vim/emacs" category but this is like being the best tablet in the "tablets that aren't ipad" category

it took me like 2 or 3 days to get up to speed with vim to the point where it was not interrupting my work flow, but that was only after i uninstalled notepad++ and gave myself no other options. then after like a week using any other editor was intolerable because moving around was so slow and editing text was so inefficient. cmon jonny you can do it, perl devs should not use crapware editors

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
and yes there is a %var2

Hell is other peoples Perl code.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

Git and Mercurial and distributed source control is usually worth it if only because it lets you work and commit stuff without being connected to whatever server. Oh, how hilarious it is when some server crashes or network splits and half a day of work is lost to some lovely source control software that works over the network without ever thinking the network could go out for some reason.

i don't use git a lot cause i became an hg fag first, but one thing i immediately noticed about hg is how much faster it was at calculating changes than svn. even if i just used hg like a svn replacement and didn't use anything else, it was a huge gain just from that

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
use sublimetext cause the package installer is amazing and it has solarized and its cross platform

thanks!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

notepad++ is the best of the "editors that aren't vim/emacs" category but this is like being the best tablet in the "tablets that aren't ipad" category

it took me like 2 or 3 days to get up to speed with vim to the point where it was not interrupting my work flow, but that was only after i uninstalled notepad++ and gave myself no other options. then after like a week using any other editor was intolerable because moving around was so slow and editing text was so inefficient. cmon jonny you can do it, perl devs should not use crapware editors

Another tiny bug opinion from tiny bug child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

the cool thing is when someone loses a bunch of work because they accidentally delete their local repo