Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Internaut! posted:

wait til you crack a history book someday and discover people were successfully developing software all the way back in the 20th century before stuff like git and svn were invented

of course back then we had help, when evaluating potential hires we had to rely on old school metrics like "education" and "experience" instead of "open source project starts" and "blogosphere presence"

lol and what's the deal with these "compilers"? like ones that are a computer program?? idgi, we have Jerry to tranlsate our fortran

idk, at any rate i dont think a machine could write better machine code than a human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

that "carpenters don't blame their tools" metaphor always seemed really silly
like what if someone just
handed you a stick
then complained that you didn't make an entire house using that stick as your only tool

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

rotor posted:

the cool thing is when someone loses a bunch of work because they accidentally delete their local repo

consider it like a canary. if your idiot coworkers delete their local repo, perhaps you should gtfo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

the cool thing is when someone loses a bunch of work because they accidentally delete their local repo

if you or somebody you employ deletes their local repo you deserve what you get

`rm` is the scrubbiest command, an admission of failure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

notepad++ is the best of the "editors that aren't vim/emacs" category but this is like being the best tablet in the "tablets that aren't ipad" category

it took me like 2 or 3 days to get up to speed with vim to the point where it was not interrupting my work flow, but that was only after i uninstalled notepad++ and gave myself no other options. then after like a week using any other editor was intolerable because moving around was so slow and editing text was so inefficient. cmon jonny you can do it, perl devs should not use crapware editors

i am vim fluent (boxes are configured with ksh with VI keys so i didnt have much of an option) but because i am an ADD scrublord, i like the block collapsing thing that np++ does, it's helping me focus on the bits of gear that need focusing on

Birth Of A Coder
this poo poo is a documentary and the events are happening in real time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BonzoESC posted:

if you or somebody you employ deletes their local repo you deserve what you get

I agree, git is its own punishment

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hoisted by his own gitard

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

tef posted:

:supaburn:

lol

tef posted:

Your haughty condescending tone carries an arrogance that can only come from a stubborn refusal to learn from the mistakes of others. You're no worse than the zealots you decry and defame, the key difference being which side of the false dichotomy you sit: 'new' vs 'old'.

this is a thing the -ists believe

that developers with grad degrees in hard sciences in environments like wall street use proven, efficient, fast old tools and technologies because we aren't clever or industrious enough to pick up the latest fotm

and not because we can literally measure the impact to our profits when our trade data falls out of byte alignment in memory for example

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

How that is different of someone accidentally deleting/losing their local changes because they don't want to / can't commit everything they're working on at that point in time to a remote server is a bit vague to me. I somehow doubt an additional 'push' (also 'add' if you're with git) is the main source of 'accidental loss of code'.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

How that is different of someone accidentally deleting/losing their local changes because they don't want to / can't commit everything they're working on at that point in time to a remote server is a bit vague to me. I somehow doubt an additional 'push' (also 'add' if you're with git) is the main source of 'accidental loss of code'.

because the typical git workflow has people holding onto local changes far longer than is typical with svn. if you're constantly pushing to origin in git why even bother with a local repo?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Jonny 290 posted:

i am vim fluent (boxes are configured with ksh with VI keys so i didnt have much of an option) but because i am an ADD scrublord, i like the block collapsing thing that np++ does, it's helping me focus on the bits of gear that need focusing on

Birth Of A Coder
this poo poo is a documentary and the events are happening in real time

vim does have folding--idk if the built in perl syntax specifies where blocks begin/end but even if it doesn't you could prob just set foldmethod=indent and be good to go. i grant that folding in vim isn't as ez as point and click on the lil plus box though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean if you want to use git because the merging is better or because of conveniences like git bisect, great. but unless you're actually connecting to the repo over some slowass link, the local repo is at best a mixed blessing

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Internaut! posted:

that developers with grad degrees in hard sciences in environments like wall street use proven, efficient, fast old tools and technologies because we aren't clever or industrious enough to pick up the latest fotm

and not because we can literally measure the impact to our profits when our trade data falls out of byte alignment in memory for example

lol are you for real

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

people just have a tendency to act like git is just better than svn, but its not, its just different and carries a different set of tradeoffs is really all I'm sayin here

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
sorry im too busy being a wall street wealth creator with a degree in the hard sciences to learn your new flavour of the month skills

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

because the typical git workflow has people holding onto local changes far longer than is typical with svn. if you're constantly pushing to origin in git why even bother with a local repo?

• Being able to work without the network working or remote server in place
  • Being able to work without having to have each commit go over the network
  • Not needing the network for a lot of poo poo. Networks suck and are unreliable. Networks suck, suck suck. Seeing the network and remote servers as something that never fails is dumb, dumb, dumb. Reduce your single points of failure, be faster in general.
  • Better merges in general, though that is tool-specific.
  • Being able to use repos as branches, if you want to,
  • Division of work and branches in a decentralized manner (especially with mercurial and 'hg serve')
  • Regroup related units in different commits, push them as one functional mass of changes at once, even with many people working on the same branches
  • for open sores, avoid central points of contribution where one fanatic can stall all development for everyone.

I'll give you that, though. It does make people hold onto their changesets much longer. I do prefer that to what I remember people doing with SVN and CVSNT, which was "don't commit poo poo to avoid breaking people's stuff" whenever more than one person works on the same branch. This led to far more problems than accidentally deleting repos.

E: my opinion might be influenced by the fact I work from home and used SVN, mercurial and git with projects hundreds of kilometers away, and also on continents away. I hated having to store some larger file and uploading it through SVN overseas.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

• Being able to work without the network working or remote server in place
  • Being able to work without having to have each commit go over the network
  • Not needing the network for a lot of poo poo. Networks suck and are unreliable. Networks suck, suck suck. Seeing the network and remote servers as something that never fails is dumb, dumb, dumb. Reduce your single points of failure, be faster in general.
  • Better merges in general, though that is tool-specific.
  • Being able to use repos as branches, if you want to,
  • Division of work and branches in a decentralized manner (especially with mercurial and 'hg serve')
  • Regroup related units in different commits, push them as one functional mass of changes at once, even with many people working on the same branches
  • for open sores, avoid central points of contribution where one fanatic can stall all development for everyone.

I'll give you that, though. It does make people hold onto their changesets much longer. I do prefer that to what I remember people doing with SVN and CVSNT, which was "don't commit poo poo to avoid breaking people's stuff" whenever more than one person works on the same branch. This led to far more problems than accidentally deleting repos.
I haven't seen a work network go down in literally over a decade, poo poo isn't 1995 anymore, so none of those 'omg teh network' arguments ship any water with me. the only convincing argument in that list is 'better merge behavior'

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

I haven't seen a work network go down in literally over a decade, poo poo isn't 1995 anymore, so none of those 'omg teh network' arguments ship any water with me. the only convincing argument in that list is 'better merge behavior'

Ever seen server crashes, power failures, maintenance outages?

Networks don't always have to fail though. I mean, I've been working remotely from home (power failures, lines being cut), from trains, buses and airplanes where the connection isn't always fast (if there is a connection at all), on battery power (disable wifi for longer life, possibly), hotels without connectivity, etc.

The network isn't always there, far from that. Granted if your workplace has everything sitting in a LAN and you push your code real close to where you are all the time, you won't see the effect of it. You might see it more if you have 3-4 offices with different servers handling everything. If you get out of the office, it will soon become painfully obvious how doing everything over the network is slow, error-prone, and unreliable.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

The network isn't always there, far from that.

yeah actually it is. if the network or server or power goes out with the kind of regularity that makes you plan around it, get some decent infrastructure, jesus

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

yeah actually it is. if the network or server or power goes out with the kind of regularity that makes you plan around it, get some decent infrastructure, jesus

I'm sorry I can't plug some fiber optics from a plane to the office in another country, my bad.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also laughing at: invest in better infrastructure and shell out the money or lose man-days or man-weeks of work, instead of using tools that work fine otherwise and are 100% free.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

git is that decent infrastructure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jesus loving shitchrist

like I said a bojillion times, if your developers are actually widely distributed then - shockingly enough - a distributed version control system makes sense. if not, then maybe it doesn't.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

jesus loving shitchrist

like I said a bojillion times, if your developers are actually widely distributed then - shockingly enough - a distributed version control system makes sense. if not, then maybe it doesn't.

the best answer would have been to tell me "just use git-svn or HgSubversion and leave me alone you nerd" or something.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rufo posted:

sorry im too busy being a wall street wealth creator with a degree in the hard sciences to learn your new flavour of the month skills

thanks for the liveblog update from the "Balancing Wall Street Disdain with your Stock Options Package: An Exercise in Cognitive Dissonance" session at Bar Camp Seattle, sponsored by Barking Blumpkin Microbreweries

retweeted by @AnarchoRubyist

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

also laughing at: invest in better infrastructure and shell out the money or lose man-days or man-weeks of work, instead of using tools that work fine otherwise and are 100% free.

well my network keeps dying and the power keeps going out for days and the servers keep crashing. I will solve these issues by switching to git.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

ummm, power outages and poo poo clearly fall into leave work and go to a bar category and not keep working

and if you are programming on a plane or airport then lol, that is clearly time you should be at the airport bar charging poo poo to your expense account

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

well my network keeps dying and the power keeps going out for days and the servers keep crashing. I will solve these issues by switching to git.

My GF's workplace had their server die for 1 day a week or so ago. At 15 people, that's 15 days of productivity lost on deadlines and contracts. Have that happen 2-3 times a year for various reasons (maintenance, crashes, broken hardware, whatever) and it's equivalent to paying an employee a full month to do nothing. I've had it happen at a 70 developers place for 3 days because something failed during the migration of repositories and backups needed to be obtained.

Between shelling more money to build a bigger fault-tolerant machine and just using software that deals with it correctly, it's not that a hard of a choice.

For remote employees, plugins for distributed source control are good enough.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

hey shaggar pay attention this is how you do it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
for the record I think it is fine to use new technologies like, java, xml and svn. I don't see your problem with 'modern stuff'

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fyi my point is if you use svn/cvs you will literally bankrupt your company

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

we use svn at work and after the better part of a year i don't think it's responsible for the terrible state of the company

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Internaut! posted:

:smug: you know how advanced we are? we detected a %50+ degradation in perf

ur move pythonistas

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
My version control software works like this.

Your version control software works like that.

Git/hg are fine if you need the distributed features. However, it's not like svn is somehow garbage for olds. My 9-5 is a PBS/NPR affiliate (re: donation funded!) and we have solid enough infrastructure for svn. If the server went down, which it never has, I would just, I don't know, not commit my changes until it cam back up?

Not every development team is geographically and time separated, which IMO are e best factors for choosing something like Git or hg.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

sorry but being able to commit and then go 'oh gently caress i made a typo in this comment' and fixing it up with commit --amend (or rebase if i've made commits in between) owns

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

sorry but being able to commit and then go 'oh gently caress i made a typo in this comment' and fixing it up with commit --amend (or rebase if i've made commits in between) owns

That isn't an attribute of distributed source control or not, though. Just a per-tool choice about how history should be handled.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yaoi prophet posted:

at my last job you could edit svn commit logs after the fact. at my current one we can't, but they also apparently had just switched from visual sourcesafe like a year before i got here

e: here u go http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#change-log-msg

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also please get a new avatar already, why do you still have that anime poo poo

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

who cares about any of this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->