Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

I'm Seriously considering buying a verizon plan with a Motorola droid 4 LTE, but frankly, the pricing seems mildly retarded.

Jumping on my friend's account, it'd cost, between the two of us, $170 a month for his phone, his grandfathered unlimited data/email plan, our pooled minutes and then a separate data 4gb for my phone, and another charge for texts on my phone.

without me, he pays about $70.

Going solo, I'm looking at about a $110ish a month, for most likely the lowest tier on everything but texts.

Frankly, gently caress, that's alot, and it really just looks like i'm loving myself over either way. What is wrong?

$110 a month doesn't sound right at all, I pay $90 a month for the lowest tier minutes, 4gb data and unlimited texts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

frodnonnag posted:

Yeah, but whats your employee discount?

:downs:

12%-15% and my bill is about $148/month with tax so I'm guessing that $170 is not too far off :v:

Looking at my last months bill, the discount is about $12

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

EbolaIvory posted:

I guess what im sayin, If you dont mind being a beta tester, dealing with delayed updates because of the carrier/google nonsense, and pay for insurance or whatever. Just go nexus.

If you don't want to be a smartphone beta tester, get the new Nokia Lumia

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

frodnonnag posted:

What is wrong?
Don't know, but your numbers seem a bit high unless you're using non-base options and/or adding in taxes and fees. Are you getting your info from here?

Base family would be $70 for two voice lines (700 minutes)+ $60 for two data plans + either $10 for 1000 messages for you or $20 for unlimited messaging.

Single would be $40 for a voice line (450 mins?) + $30 for data + either $10 or $20 for texting.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
OK so I finally got a smartphone but I got it from Sprint because they have unlimited data. I'm about ten days into it, still the trial period, and I notice the amount of data I'm using isn't going to go over the 5gig Verizon cap. The only issue is that it's only been ten days and most of my days have been relatively average, so I don't know if my data will skyrocket due to random stuff, like my bi-monthly seven hour bus rides where I'd love to have netflix, but my sprint connection is so spotty I don't even know if I'd be able to have netflix streaming on my unlimited plan anyway.

So.... my question is how likely is it that I'd ever go over 5 gigs of data? Verizon's 'how much data do you need' calculator is what scared me into going to Sprint in the first place, but ten days in and I've only used 500megs.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

nickhimself posted:

If you don't want to be a smartphone beta tester, get the new Nokia Lumia

Wouldn't that be kinda tough on Verizon?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Yawgmoft posted:

So.... my question is how likely is it that I'd ever go over 5 gigs of data?
There's not really a great answer to that question. By far the most bandwidth intensive activities on a smartphone are audio and, especially, video streaming. If you never stream, staying under 2 GB/mo (and especially 5 GB/mo) is entirely doable, if not typical. And yes, Sprint's primary claim of "unlimited data" is of dubious benefit when their network is spotty enough to actually make reasonable use of it.

To be honest, I'd question whether you could reliably stream Netflix on a seven hour bus ride (presumably which the majority is outside of metro areas where cellular coverage is weaker) even with Verizon. Perhaps it's not practical with Netflix/Android, but in that kind of secenario I'd preload a bunch of video on the device in anticipation of the trip, so you don't have to worry about spotty coverage. And if you did that, your streaming requirements would be low enough that Verizon's data caps shouldn't be an issue.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I was just seizing an opportunity to make a commercial joke reference.

snej
Mar 27, 2009

Tedious_Bastard posted:

It uses a utility for temporary root so you can put the update in a normally unwritable part of the filesystem. Because IMM76K is signed the stock boot loader sees it and updates.

It's as safe as rooting and unlocking, I guess, take that as you will. It's horse poo poo that we have to do that to get a functioning phone but it is what it is.

I'm a total retard: Where did you find the instructions and files for only updating to 4.0.4 and temporarily rooting?
Looking on XDA-dev I don't see anything obvious in the first few pages.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

http://strifejester.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/imm76k-direct-for-verizon-galaxy-nexus/

Use at your own risk, etc.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Probably would be better in the rooting thread, but I'm waiting for LiquidSmooth to use this for his next build. I'm not having any problems or nearly bad enough battery to lose LiquidSmooths benefits for official 4.0.4. (Pretty sure Liquid is built on leaked 4.0.4 right now)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I just posted this in SA-Mart but might have a better chance in here since y'all Verizon people:

My dad is fed up with his enV3 that is constantly shutting itself off or pressing buttons in his pocket but still loves that it has a keyboard. He has absolutely no need for a smartphone or dataplan. Does anyone have an old QWERTY phone lying around that works well?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

I just posted this in SA-Mart but might have a better chance in here since y'all Verizon people:

My dad is fed up with his enV3 that is constantly shutting itself off or pressing buttons in his pocket but still loves that it has a keyboard. He has absolutely no need for a smartphone or dataplan. Does anyone have an old QWERTY phone lying around that works well?

I can usually get you one if you give me a few weeks. Eventually I switch someone over (I work for sprint) and they just give me their old phone. Let me know what your time frame is.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Verizon stopped their test of LTE in Burlington VT because they're doing a market launch on May 17 in northern VT.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/05/pr2012-05-09i.html

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

waffle iron posted:

Verizon stopped their test of LTE in Burlington VT because they're doing a market launch on May 17 in northern VT.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/05/pr2012-05-09i.html

I cannot believe VZW was this fast deploying LTE in VT. And it pisses me off!

I was all set to buy the unlocked GSM GNex and do a StraightTalk pre-paid plan, thinking that the lack of 4G wasn't a big deal since what were the odds of 4G coming to VT within the next year or two?

And now this happens, so I have to decide if the Verizon GNex is worth it...is the CDMA/Verizon one still prone to problems? I remember reading stuff about cell radio and battery issues..on the other hand, it has 32GB of storage, not the lousy 16 the GSM version has...and, of course, LTE...

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I cannot believe VZW was this fast deploying LTE in VT. And it pisses me off!

I was all set to buy the unlocked GSM GNex and do a StraightTalk pre-paid plan, thinking that the lack of 4G wasn't a big deal since what were the odds of 4G coming to VT within the next year or two?

And now this happens, so I have to decide if the Verizon GNex is worth it...is the CDMA/Verizon one still prone to problems? I remember reading stuff about cell radio and battery issues..on the other hand, it has 32GB of storage, not the lousy 16 the GSM version has...and, of course, LTE...

I work in the Burlington area and good god was it nice to have 4G at my desk to download podcasts. Although it allows me to do over 5 GB of data a month but that's OK because I have a grandfathered unlimited plan. My Nexus has been good although when they dialed back the 4G broadcast power a couple weeks ago I was getting into situations where it would go from 3 bars of 3G to one or less of 4G and then ping pong back and forth. Which wouldn't be so bad except the handoff time is really slow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is also pushing LTE to more of the eastern seaboard.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-lte-spreading-more-cities-eastern-seaboard

It's kind of insane to think you could be sitting on the beach in some remote area of the Outer Banks and be pulling down 20Mbps on your phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is also pushing LTE to more of the eastern seaboard.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-lte-spreading-more-cities-eastern-seaboard

It's kind of insane to think you could be sitting on the beach in some remote area of the Outer Banks and be pulling down 20Mbps on your phone.

My city is saturated with LTE. I don't even bother with WiFi anymore, because LTE is almost always faster.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Other than the Incredible, what new Android phones are coming out in the next couple months? I'm out of the loop and I have an upgrade ready to use but I'm not in a rush because my Bionic is doing just fine.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

wandler20 posted:

Other than the Incredible, what new Android phones are coming out in the next couple months? I'm out of the loop and I have an upgrade ready to use but I'm not in a rush because my Bionic is doing just fine.
Probably the RAZR HD which should be the bees knees.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So given the github repo linked in this blog post, it appears that every Galaxy Nexus that Verizon has shipped has a root vulnerability that's been known for three months now. Sweet.

The fact that this "mempodroid" thing even works is a Bad Thing.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

So given the github repo linked in this blog post, it appears that every Galaxy Nexus that Verizon has shipped has a root vulnerability that's been known for three months now. Sweet.

The fact that this "mempodroid" thing even works is a Bad Thing.
It's a kernel vulnerability that was fixed after 4.02. I've read up on it and it's only exploitable as the shell user (local adb) not as an app.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I just found out that I might be getting a free Incredible 4G. I already have a Galaxy Nexus, so I was wondering which phone I should keep. Assuming the size makes no difference to me, which phone would you use and why? How do they compare based on performance and battery life? I will likely be rooting and using custom ROMs so the official software support isn't that big of a deal for me.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

dominator posted:

Probably the RAZR HD which should be the bees knees.

I think this is being released as the Droid Fighter. No source, just spoken word from motorola reps who have visited with me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My GNex is out of the 14-day window but I want to throw it in the loving trash. I get little/no reception at work, where my cube neighbor gets 4G service with his Razr Maxx five feet away from me. It's fine everywhere else aside from the pretty lousy battery life.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve hundreds of dollars leaving my pocket?

(Sidenote: I bought three loving GNex's on a new Verizon contract; mine sucks, one is okay, and the other dies within 3-4 hours every day. gently caress this phone.)

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2012

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

traveling midget posted:

My GNex is out of the 14-day window but I want to throw it in the loving trash. I get little/no reception at work, where my cube neighbor gets 4G service with his Razr Maxx five feet away from me. It's fine everywhere else aside from the pretty lousy battery life.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve hundreds of dollars leaving my pocket?

(Sidenote: I bought three loving GNex's on a new Verizon contract; mine sucks, one is okay, and the other dies within 3-4 hours every day. gently caress this phone.)

Quick solutions that have worked for me-- use wifi at work. If you're willing to root it, there are new radios out that get better reception with less drops. If you're not willing to root, take it to where you bought it and try exchanging it. I would especially recommend it for your third phone that dies so quickly.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob A Feet posted:

Quick solutions that have worked for me-- use wifi at work. If you're willing to root it, there are new radios out that get better reception with less drops. If you're not willing to root, take it to where you bought it and try exchanging it. I would especially recommend it for your third phone that dies so quickly.

Wifi is banned at work (government). I'm on the 'hybrid' 4.0.4 radio that was put out a bit ago, it works best for me. Best still being no loving data in my office and 50% of my texts require multiple send attempts.

I'm outside the Amazon returns window, I bought it from them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

traveling midget posted:

Wifi is banned at work (government). I'm on the 'hybrid' 4.0.4 radio that was put out a bit ago, it works best for me. Best still being no loving data in my office and 50% of my texts require multiple send attempts.

I'm outside the Amazon returns window, I bought it from them.

OH, you work government? That explains it. I have little to no signal in any governmental building. I'm forced to either set my phone in a window or use airplane mode and a landline. As you probably know, the radio searching for signal chews through battery like none other.

Does the phone show the same behavior outside work? Like now at home?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob A Feet posted:

OH, you work government? That explains it. I have little to no signal in any governmental building. I'm forced to either set my phone in a window or use airplane mode and a landline. As you probably know, the radio searching for signal chews through battery like none other.

Does the phone show the same behavior outside work? Like now at home?

Nope, no problems at home or most of the time, it's just (i guess?) low-reception areas. And, like I mentioned, my cube neighbor has a Razr Maxx and gets 4G just fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure all government buildings are built like Faraday cages. At least in AF dorms, it was a crap shoot to get phone signal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure all government buildings are built like Faraday cages. At least in AF dorms, it was a crap shoot to get phone signal.

Yeah unless you're next to a window you're not going to get a decent signal.

You can also end up in a situation where there's a 10ft^2 area where the signal's ok just based on how it gets reflected around.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

traveling midget posted:

Nope, no problems at home or most of the time, it's just (i guess?) low-reception areas. And, like I mentioned, my cube neighbor has a Razr Maxx and gets 4G just fine.

Take your phone by his cube and try it out. He also may be lying to you out of GNex envy. That last one was a joke, but like Vertigus said, depending on which side of the building is facing a close cell tower, and based off of the reflection from other buildings, or attenuation caused by trees, he may be getting a clear beam of radio signal while you aren't.

With my Droid Incredible, I had to find a spot on my desk in every room or office in the class room building I was in that would receive signal. It was still never good enough to keep the battery from dying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Mine has Verizon mini cells or whatever built into it. (Granted, it's only Verizon.) We also have wifi we can use.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008
I posted this in the android phone thread, but might as well solicit opinions here as well - Droid 4 or Galaxy Nexus? Previous phone was an OG Droid (still have unlimited data), currently trying out a Nexus s with Credo (Sprint), still in the cancellation window. I did like having a keyboard, but Google experience is also nice. I don't know what to do!!!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I love my Droid 4 to bits, but I'm exceedingly picky and will eschew basically everything for a hard keyboard. People will cry about the screen on the D4 - I don't see the problems except on a pure white/light grey screen. *shrug*

I will say that unless you really, really want the keyboard, you should go with the GNex.

Apr 7, 2003

Blinky13 posted:

I posted this in the android phone thread, but might as well solicit opinions here as well - Droid 4 or Galaxy Nexus? Previous phone was an OG Droid (still have unlimited data), currently trying out a Nexus s with Credo (Sprint), still in the cancellation window. I did like having a keyboard, but Google experience is also nice. I don't know what to do!!!

iPhone

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tedious_Bastard posted:

iPhone

Because that was what he asked! :downs: Everyone knows you hate your phone, shut up about it already.

Apr 7, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Because that was what he asked! :downs: Everyone knows you hate your phone, shut up about it already.

I didn't say anything about my phone, quit reading into things and being a douche.

Seriously, I don't think you've ever made a single polite post. Ever.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I didn't say anything about my phone, quit reading into things and being a douche.

Seriously, I don't think you've ever made a single polite post. Ever.

Galaxy? Is it the radios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Why not a RAZR/RAZR MAXX? Better screen than Droid 4 and better reception (and battery life for MAXX at least) than Nexus. I've got a Droid 4 and a RAZR and I'll pick the RAZR any day of the week.

• Locked thread