Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Hopefully Brian is behind the scenes (if around at all). And I agree, the JRE definitely needs a third person to mix it up a bit. I could see an intelligent, laid back guy who isn't quite as "gorilla-gently caress-conspiracy-theories" as Joe, but still willing to talk wacky poo poo being a good compliment. Hopefully the new producer fits the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bring on Bryan Callen as the cohost, he doesn't buy in to any conspiracy theories while Joe will give most at least an "anything's possible" so Callen would be the perfect foil.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'd stop listening completely if Bryan Callen came on to co-host.

AltronHGX posted:

Why, Country Boy, of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfy7LQFuM9E

I've never ever laughed harder at a podcast than at this loving clip.

It was also my introduction to Duncan :allears:

Am I the only one that felt awkward for Duncan while watching this? I was waiting for Joe to go "hahah no I'm just kidding" while Duncan was going along with it to be nice. What part's supposed to be really funny? The ending? That's just low-hanging fruit.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 10, 2012

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I watched it again and yes the part where they were saying the jokes and making eachother laugh was the funny part, dude.

I also like when Brian interrupts at the most awkward time in the middle of their conversation inquiring about a Mrs. Hands and everyone just ignores him :hfive:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 10, 2012

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006

bango skank posted:

Bring on Bryan Callen as the cohost, he doesn't buy in to any conspiracy theories while Joe will give most at least an "anything's possible" so Callen would be the perfect foil.

This would be awesome, but realistically he'd probably be too busy to do a podcast every week or even every second week. I like that Bert/Ari/Joey etc. come on every month and a half rather than every day, because if they did they'd probably run out of stories to tell.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I think people forget Brian probably has brain damage from carbon monoxide poisoning. So him being retarded isn't really his fault.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I'm not sure being retarded is any retard's fault, but still, gently caress retards.

Having just listened to the Duncan Trussell episode, it seemed to me like Duncan was being brought to heel by Rogan a bit, being made to take more responsibility for the argument than Duncan felt comfortable with. It's interesting the power Rogan has over some people, because they feel like they owe him, which I guess they do. Nutty poo poo.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZeroDays posted:

I'm not sure being retarded is any retard's fault, but still, gently caress retards.

Having just listened to the Duncan Trussell episode, it seemed to me like Duncan was being brought to heel by Rogan a bit, being made to take more responsibility for the argument than Duncan felt comfortable with. It's interesting the power Rogan has over some people, because they feel like they owe him, which I guess they do. Nutty poo poo.
I wonder how many careers he's either made or helped along just by bringing people on the road with him or onto the podcast? He's the like the Podfather.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Dice podcast was good.

edit: I bet this new producer will be 100% off screen and Brian will still be around as third wheel (important imo), but less often. Joe one on one with NEW guests is fine because he treats it as an interview, but when it's one of the deathsquad regulars (Ari, Joey, Eddie, Duncan) poo poo gets old quick.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 12, 2012

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Whoa whoa whoa

Podcasts with Joey never get old.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZeroDays posted:

I definitely get the vibe that some people really bite their tongue when theyre around rogan.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
The Dice Clay episode was loving amazing. Strangely interesting guy.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I agree. I thought it would be awkward, but was surprised. Really interesting episode.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It would have been a lot better without his son that Dice couldn't help but attempt to shoehorn him into every other topic.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

I have to say, I only made it 30 mins in before I turned it off because I found Clay uncomfortably unfunny and dated. Does it pick up, or is it just one of they "each to their own" things? I know nothing of the guest, but he comes across hacky as gently caress.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Definitely went eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegh when Dice was like, play my son's music right this instant, and then actually shushed them when someone started an attempt at a segue like 30 seconds into the song.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Definitely went eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegh when Dice was like, play my son's music right this instant, and then actually shushed them when someone started an attempt at a segue like 30 seconds into the song.

yeah a parent being proud of their children's talent (especially when they were 13 and 17) is STUUPID

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

yeah a parent being proud of their children's talent (especially when they were 13 and 17) is STUUPID

For podcast entertainment purposes it is. You must eat all that facebook baby poo poo right up.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

ZeroDays posted:

For podcast entertainment purposes it is. You must eat all that facebook baby poo poo right up.

talking about what's appropriate content for podcast entertainment in the Joe rogan experience thread, what a hoot!

edit: really though, you're listening to a podcast that has no structure content-wise as in they literally talk about anything and everything from dramatic to comedic tone every episode and you're "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegh"ing over a man genuinely enthusiastic about his kids band (which they were talking about)

for people that like dice, it's a really great episode... and for people that don't know him realize going in that, like joey diaz, he's a huge personality who has a lot of opinions he strongly vocalizes that you just take with a grain of salt

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 13, 2012

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think being proud as a parent is stupid I just thought it was awkward and a little rude! Sorry if I offended you, it seems to me like that move is like showing someone pictures of your kids (which is fine) but insisting that they stare at the picture for 2 minutes straight (which is a little weird maybe!)

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DerbyTime!!! posted:

So you're saying dice clay actually alpha'd rogan on his own podcast?

daaaaaaaamn

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Phatzilla posted:

So you're saying dice clay actually alpha'd rogan on his own podcast?

daaaaaaaamn

It happens occasionally. For more out-alphaing check out the podcasts with Mayhem Miller. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure if Miller is "alpha" or if he just doesn't give a single gently caress. He's the type of person that just talks progressively louder as you try to interrupt them, except this is miller, so instead of just talking it's hysterical yelling interrupted with bursts of intense cackling

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Powerful

turinpt
May 10, 2012
I haven't listened in a few months, what happened with Brian? Is it all about money?

I remember Rogen talking about him as if he was his twin soul, together forever.

turinpt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 14, 2012

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

turinpt posted:

I haven't listened in a few months, what happened with Brian?

I remember Rogen talking about him as if he was his twin soul, together forever.

basically Brian's been really overworked for the last year without pay (Joe pays him but that has nothing to do with Deathsquad), and during the Icehouse Chronicles he would keep $150 a show without paying most of the comedians (as there was never a set rule on pay) because he felt it was his way of being reimbursed for everything he does since he produces 10+ podcasts for free. Duncan called him out on a podcast for not paying the comedians, then on a later podcast with Ari on JRE they brought up what Duncan said and all the stress/overworking caused him to have a legitimate meltdown. Also before this Jay Mohr made a bunch of really mean tweets about someone insinuating they were about Brian (which apparently he said they weren't but that's nonsense because they're all spot on) so that added a lot of fuel to the darkness in him. On the latest Icehouse he says "I've had the worst month of my whole entire life. Three things happened, one I don't feel like talking about, two I CAN'T talk about, and three I don't feel like talking about."

I honestly feel really bad for him with all that's happened. It has to suck when 70% of the fanbase for your network's podcasts that you put all of your waking hours into hate you and TELL you they hate you on twitter/JRE boards/facebook/etc. All of the hatred he gets is imo the core of his meltdown. Yeah yeah he's a dumb/childish person and at times can be a straight up lovely human being, but he reminds me of that friend you've had for years that's a complete idiot who would never be your friend if he wasn't already your friend yet you still like him.

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 14, 2012

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
I can't imagine the Joe Rogan podcast without Brian, I really hope he comes back on regularly.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow I did not know he produces all of those podcasts for free. I knew Joe paid him, but I thought that money was somehow also for the whole deathsquad thing/he was making money somehow.

It's still a little shady how he was paying/not paying, but I feel bad for hating on the dude when he puts in all of that work behind the scenes... although I do think he is incredibly immature sometimes (whether thats an act, I dont know).

I'm going to take a shower, I feel grimy.

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!
Chael was outstanding. Definitely worth listening to. It was nice to have Brian back, too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I may be in the minority but Dice was awful. Trying to shoehorn his son into everything, talking about what a badass he is constantly, etc. Got very old very fast, I ended up turning it off.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Dice is a guy who had a character that was so successful, he became him.

Banana Pond
Aug 19, 2004

ToasterOven posted:

Chael was outstanding. Definitely worth listening to. It was nice to have Brian back, too.

Absolutely. I have been waiting for this episode since Joe mentioned it a few weeks back and it did not disappoint

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Smeed posted:

I think Dice is a guy who had a character that was so successful, he became him.

It's also possible he stayed in character assuming that's what Joe wanted for his podcast. Which is probably right.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Advice posted:

It's also possible he stayed in character assuming that's what Joe wanted for his podcast. Which is probably right.

Im not sure if it was because he knew that's what Joe wanted or not, but he definitely had a foot inside his personas door

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Chael frightens me. He has a way to sound unreasonably reasonable no matter what the topic is. I'm afraid that if you locked me in a room with him for an hour, I'd come out republican or something.

Also, hopping on the "Dice was horrible"-bandwagon. I couldn't get through it. It's probably that I just don't find that type of character funny. It might work as a guest appearances in a tv-series or something but god drat is he tiresome as a three hour special.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Throw me in that camp too. I couldn't stand him and Jesus shut the gently caress up about your kid.

Someone earlier in the thread defended him because a parent should be proud of their kids, and yes they should, but when that parent is an ENTERTAINER for a profession they should know that is not entertaining and nobody gives a poo poo or wants to hear about it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Chael frightens me. He has a way to sound unreasonably reasonable no matter what the topic is. I'm afraid that if you locked me in a room with him for an hour, I'd come out republican or something.

I'm glad you said this Bohemian Nights. You've always appeared to me as a sensible and open minded poster.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

DerbyTime!!! posted:

It's awkward when anyone insists that they listen to a song. Let alone Dice Clay. If they start talking they're probably aren't diggin it son.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 16, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm glad you said this Bohemian Nights. You've always appeared to me as a sensible and open minded poster.

I thought Chael was pretty good, but some of the things like that and "I'm surprised/glad you said that" that he kept repeating started to get annoying.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

ToasterOven posted:

Was it 2+ hours of MMA talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Was it 2+ hours of MMA talk?
maybe 75% but from a really fascinating perspective mostly