Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Forza 3, to get myself in the mood for the Porsche pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ANAmal.net posted:

If you aren't driving the stupidest cars all the time you're playing the game wrong.

This. I'm not too much into the SUVs myself, but any driving game can have Ferraris and Lamborghinis and Corvettes. If you have the opportunity to race a Grand Cherokee against a Pacer, an Omni, an El Camino, and a Humvee, you take it whenever possible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

xzzy posted:

Southwest Wisconsin is pretty nice.. the call it the driftless because it somehow avoided being carved flat by glaciers, so there's some pretty terrain.

Texas to Wisconsin, not so much. The "secret" to fun road trips is pick a route with google maps, then turn on the feature to show geotagged photos. Spots with big clusters of pictures are probably worth visiting.

Staying off the interstate can work too. I did Chicago to Las Vegas last November and didn't use a single interstate.. was the best drive I've ever had.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

My plan right now is to save up a bunch of podcasts, buy a spotify subscription, and try to bang the trip out in 2 days (3 max). It seems reasonable right now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Tonight was a disaster. First network problems didn't let me connect in time for the first race, then in the middle of the second work called me and I ended up having to disconnect to fix some server issues at work. Then when I got back on for a race after my shifter started acting up so I had to use the paddles with the clutch which just seems unnatural. At least I came 3rd, ahead of a jeep that rolled five times in the race.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GutBomb posted:

a jeep that rolled five times

Functioning as intended.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I am the biggest loving sperg in the world, I've been running hotlaps on the topgear test track, according to their rules, 5 laps, best of those counts...
The Delorean ran a 1.35!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

Tonight was a disaster. First network problems didn't let me connect in time for the first race, then in the middle of the second work called me and I ended up having to disconnect to fix some server issues at work. Then when I got back on for a race after my shifter started acting up so I had to use the paddles with the clutch which just seems unnatural. At least I came 3rd, ahead of a jeep that rolled five times in the race.

Yeah, man, that's unfortunate. Come on back next week if you can.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Two Finger posted:

I am the biggest loving sperg in the world, I've been running hotlaps on the topgear test track, according to their rules, 5 laps, best of those counts...
The Delorean ran a 1.35!

Actually, the new rules are 4 practice laps (after training) and then your time is counted on the 5th lap.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

Actually, the new rules are 4 practice laps (after training) and then your time is counted on the 5th lap.

I know they never announced that they changed back to the old rules but it sure seems like they did because times really sucked for a few episodes after they instituted the new rules and then they improved. I figured they silently went back to the old rules.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

#31 Petersen-White Lightning 911 GT3-RSR (996):
http://i.imgur.com/pYgLg.jpg

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's probably enough R-class 911s, unless they're going to do some of the insane '70s ones like the Moby Dick, or maybe that crazy GT1.

So um Turn 10, I've put my foot down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately if my estimates are accurate, we have another 12 R-class 911's on the way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know people would like less Porsche race cars, but that's really not what Porsche is about at all. Their consumer level cars are just to fund their racing. It makes a lot more sense to have some of Porsches best race cars in the game. That said, there's still plenty of slots left, Turn-10 is obviously saving the absolute most desired cars for last. There will no doubt be a few that people really want too, that didn't make the cut for a hundred different reasons. With only 30 cars, the pack obviously can't please everyone.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I know people would like less Porsche race cars, but that's really not what Porsche is about at all. Their consumer level cars are just to fund their racing. It makes a lot more sense to have some of Porsches best race cars in the game. That said, there's still plenty of slots left, Turn-10 is obviously saving the absolute most desired cars for last. There will no doubt be a few that people really want too, that didn't make the cut for a hundred different reasons. With only 30 cars, the pack obviously can't please everyone.
It's pretty cost effective for them too, less cars to model and such. Easy to just make a 911 and do a few paint jobs.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
They started with some cars that got the hype up, now they are getting the boring cars announced. The cars will get increasingly awesome from here on, I think.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oh, I don't have an issue with Porsche race cars, I'd just like to see more of the older ones. Really, I think it's the same complaint/request we've all voiced at some point or another: where are the older cars?

The newer 911s, whether road or track cars, all look similar to me, though I know there are huge differences between model years and drivetrain configurations, etc.

What I'm saying is: Can Am cars and old-skool LeMans cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

What I'm saying is: Can Am cars and old-skool LeMans cars.

Just pretend I empty quoted this a whole bunch. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It's going to seriously bite if they put in some new achievements and one of them is "own every porsche".. requiring players to save up 30 million credits to buy a dozen clones of the same goddamn car.

It got a heap of complaints in Forza 3 because there was at least a dozen of the loving things and they stuck in an "own every car in the game" achievement. To be fair, it wasn't just Porsche, several high end manufacturers had a legion of clone cars to buy. But I think Porsche was the biggest offender.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Actually, Forza 3 only had a 'Own 1 car from every company' achievement. Forza 2 was the one with an 'own every car in the game' one, and the worst two in that game were Porsche and especially Audi, with the like 7 different R8 LMP racers that all cost an insane amount of money.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Which Porsche was the le mans racer from the early 80's or late 70's that liked to kill people. Made 1100hp in race trim and 1500 in qualify trim ?

And at speed the back end would lift off the ground.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

xzzy posted:

It got a heap of complaints in Forza 3 because there was at least a dozen of the loving things and they stuck in an "own every car in the game" achievement. To be fair, it wasn't just Porsche, several high end manufacturers had a legion of clone cars to buy. But I think Porsche was the biggest offender.

Well as far as clone cars go, I'd rather Porsche than Datsun.

I'm looking at you, Yamauchi!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I'm not keen on spending additonal money to 'bulk-up' game content to be honest, I think it's sharp practise on the part of the producers. Fair enough if six months after release there's new and fresh stuff which adds real value to the game but I can just imagine the money-throwing fights developers have about stuff like this Porsche release.

Forza 4 is a great game and I enjoy playing it but I'd rather they spent time making it even greater than on ways to gouge more cash out of users.

For instance, I'm doing the Bucket List right now. gently caress those 'Championship' races so hard. What kind of Championship only has two heats? Why does your finishing position in the first heat make no difference whatsoever to your starting place in the second? I just don't get it.

'Traffic' races. Why? Weave in and out of a load of cars that seem be driven by pensioners on your way to the finish line. It's boring.

It's a 'dirty' lap if some AI runs into me? Fair enough if I go way off track or collide with another car but when they do it to me?

Silverstone GP circuit. Hello? The track changed last year, it doesn't look like that anymore. I guess you just couldn't be arsed to model it again huh?

Not enough tracks. Nowhere near enough. Why no Spa? Or Fuji? Why have Aussie V8 cars and no Aussie tracks to race them on? Could have had Surfer's Paradise, Adelaide, Phillip Island, Bathurst etc. etc.

Same with LMP1 cars, only a few tracks they race on in real life.

I guess I just still miss Toca 2 on the old xbox!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jonathan posted:

Which Porsche was the le mans racer from the early 80's or late 70's that liked to kill people. Made 1100hp in race trim and 1500 in qualify trim ?

And at speed the back end would lift off the ground.

I think you're talking about the 917.

:iia:

If this car is in the pack it'll single-handedly make it worth the $20 (it won't be)

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I think the majority of us goons would prefer the more classic Porsches, but the majority of the public want the latest and greatest R-class Porsches. So it makes sense for them to announce cars for that demographic first? I dunno, thats how I see it. I'd imagine as the days pass we'll start to see some of the lower class classics and whatnot.

Personally I never drove any porsche that was in the R's back in F3, but when I turned on some assists and drove the RUFs around I had a blast, infact they're probably my favorite fast cars to drive around in.

I'm most looking forward to the classics though, I love bringing supercar names to lower class races. Like the Ferrari Dino and such. My favorite Porsches in 3 were the 944 and old 911, I think they both fitted into C-class well.

As far as the racing goes, I still find myself wishing for tighter races against the AI. Even if there was some gimmiky rubber-banding you could turn on to make the last 6 cars keep up with the pack, it would be an improvment. On the flipside of that, I still wish tyre wear/fuel was an issue. I'd love it if they took a note from GT legends and allowed you to choose how much fuel you wanted to carry, that way you only need bring enough to last you through a set of tyres. Hell maybe even a system for getting flat-spots if you lock up too often. Stuff like that. It feels like its stuck between sim and arcade, lacking features from either side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a flag system or contact penalties, I'm just saying if I'm set at a high difficulty I'd like tyre wear/fuel and such to be an issue. I mean the game HAS working tyre wear AND working fuel consumption, would it really be that much of an effort to make the system work properly? I mean whats the point of it even being there in the way it is now? They might as well just scrub tyres/fuel and free up the CPU cycles and such.

TLDR: I like Porsches and rant alot about MY IMMERSION.

EDIT: Oh yeah, tried out the smart car last night. I have no idea how to even drive it, it feels like it has the understeer of a FWD car yet its RWD. And twitchy? Jesus, I'm going to have to spend along time in the tuning setup to figure out how to make it better. Its like 100% grip>OH poo poo in a split second.

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2012

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

monkeytennis posted:

I guess I just still miss Toca 2 on the old xbox!

That had some great tracks. I think that's the game that introduced me to Surfer's Paradise, and possibly even Bathurst.

Also there were some great British tracks. What was that one that had that long thing that went up over the hill, and then it went over by the sharp right, and there was a whole thing to the left, but after that there was another thing? That was a great track.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Donington? Up the hill to the right hander, a left hand chicane then the old hairpin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That downhill sweeper on Donington is an absolute blast.. I loved the hell of out it in TOCA. Last time I saw it in a game was in a MotoGP game, it's even more fun on a bike.

I would donate organs if Turn 10 splintered off a motorbike game. I love cars, but two wheel racing is pretty drat exciting too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

monkeytennis posted:

Donington? Up the hill to the right hander, a left hand chicane then the old hairpin.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST

Yeah, actually it was Donington, as confirmed by Youtube. Crazy. That is a great track. loving TOCA.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

I said come in! posted:

That said, there's still plenty of slots left, Turn-10 is obviously saving the absolute most desired cars for last.

Panamera Turbo S come on come on come on

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Bought/buying a 2010 VW GTI, tuned with a Stage 1 chip. :) It's currently in Texas and I'll be driving it to start my new job in Madison, Wisconsin. I've never driven through that part of the Midwest so I'm thinking of doing a thread but I'm guessing the views aren't going to be super exciting.

I'm actually flying into Madison tonight for a little vacationing. It's a great town, you should enjoy working there. Tons of great food, I hope you plan on doing a lot of exercising to counter the deep fried everything.

Do yourself a favor and drive up the Mississippi river valley once you get to St. Louis using the old state highways. There are some unbelievable views of the river, the roads are completely empty, and it's rolling 2 lane perfectly smooth asphalt for most of it. Going up the east coast of Iowa and crossing over at Prarie du Chein will give you some amazing hillclimb views as well as some interesting historic River town downtown architecture. Try the catfish sandwich!

Madison at this time of year is a total speedtrap - lots of parents getting nabbed coming to pick up Junior or see graduation at the U, so be aware as you arrive in the metro area. Also watch out for deer if it's twilight, they're everywhere in Wisconsin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I won't drive at dusk in Wisconsin.. definitely not at highway speeds. Same holds true for large portions of Montana and Wyoming.

Maybe this makes me a wuss but I'm really not a fan of running into a deer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Captain Hair posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah, tried out the smart car last night. I have no idea how to even drive it, it feels like it has the understeer of a FWD car yet its RWD. And twitchy? Jesus, I'm going to have to spend along time in the tuning setup to figure out how to make it better. Its like 100% grip>OH poo poo in a split second.
Try driving one in real life. Car2Go has a car share program here in Austin where you rent them by the minute and is a good alternative to cabs in a city where cab service is extremely poor yet expensive. The car feels like some kind of cartoon car, super tall and yet so short there's virtually nothing behind the driver's seat. It's got super slow acceleration and comically harsh shifting and yet it'll do a scary 90 mph on the freeway. It understeers like a beast all while making you think that it'll throw you to wolves if you keep pushing.

I've been terrified to actually drive it in anger, but I've pushed it around enough to know it's definitely quirky.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Captain Hair posted:

I mean the game HAS working tyre wear AND working fuel consumption, would it really be that much of an effort to make the system work properly? I mean whats the point of it even being there in the way it is now? They might as well just scrub tyres/fuel and free up the CPU cycles and such.

The tire wear and fuel consumption were actually useful in Forza 3 (I don't remember about the first two games), since there were a series of endurance races that were long enough to require pit stops for fuel and tires.

Unfortunately, with those events being dropped in Forza 4, the tire wear and fuel consumption are completely useless in the single player game.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

I said come in! posted:

poo poo yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They had accelerated fuel/tire wear in FM3 too. You could only get something like 30 miles out of the car before the tank would run out.. if you didn't pit every other lap on the Nurburgring, you'd get stranded.

They eliminated it in FM4 I guess because it was too annoying. It would be nice if it was a multiplayer lobby option.. let the host set a multiplier for tire wear to maybe make pit strategy a factor.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Between this, the Cortina, the Austin-Healey, and all the other tiny little "shitboxes" like the BMW 2002 and such, low-class racing in Forza just keeps getting more awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the 914 is an awesome addition. It was kind of a cheater car in previous games but I suspect it'll be just fine since Turn 10 has gotten better at balancing cars.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm still hoping / waiting for my 924 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm actually flying into Madison tonight for a little vacationing. It's a great town, you should enjoy working there. Tons of great food, I hope you plan on doing a lot of exercising to counter the deep fried everything.

Do yourself a favor and drive up the Mississippi river valley once you get to St. Louis using the old state highways. There are some unbelievable views of the river, the roads are completely empty, and it's rolling 2 lane perfectly smooth asphalt for most of it. Going up the east coast of Iowa and crossing over at Prarie du Chein will give you some amazing hillclimb views as well as some interesting historic River town downtown architecture. Try the catfish sandwich!

Madison at this time of year is a total speedtrap - lots of parents getting nabbed coming to pick up Junior or see graduation at the U, so be aware as you arrive in the metro area. Also watch out for deer if it's twilight, they're everywhere in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the tips! Before my injury I ran marathons/raced bikes, so I'm hoping to at least get back to one of those two when I'm in Madison. I've gotten that impression from my searches and finding that they use a lot of LIDAR around Madison/Wisconsin in general. Thanks for the heads up. :(

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2012

• Locked thread