Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

WASHINGTONAfter decades spent battling gender discrimination and inequality in the workplace, the feminist movement underwent a high-level shake-up last month, when 53-year-old management consultant Peter "Buck" McGowan took over as new chief of the worldwide initiative for women's rights.

McGowan, who now oversees the group's day-to-day operations, said he "couldn't be happier" to bring his ambition, experience, and no-nonsense attitude to his new role as the nation's top feminist.

"All the feminist movement needed to do was bring on someone who had the balls to do something about this glass ceiling business," said McGowan, who quickly closed the 23.5 percent gender wage gap by "making a few calls to the big boys upstairs." "In the world of gender identity and empowered female sexuality, it's all about who you know."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-finally-put-in-charge-of-struggling-feminist-m,2338/

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
no but seriously.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
DIRECTIVE TO FORUMS POSTER SULK ID165753
CEASE YOSPOSTING SOONEST STOP PROCEED DIRECTLY TO GBS STOP AT NO TIME ARE YOU TO RESUME YOSPOSTING STOP
END TRANSMISSION

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

rotor posted:

no but seriously.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
CEASE YOSPOSTING SOONEST STOP PROCEED DIRECTLY TO GBS STOP AT NO TIME ARE YOU TO RESUME YOSPOSTING STOP
END TRANSMISSION

thsi but ironically

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CaptainMeatpants posted:

lol @ self-important manchildren unable to run companies

glad you said "companies" and not "businesses" because geeklist is mos def not a business

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

BonzoESC posted:

glad you said "companies" and not "businesses" because geeklist is mos def not a business

thanks to obama, both of those are people though. lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

text editor posted:

Also, what some may call our gimmick, we have staffed this room with 21-year-old Dutch girls who were born within 2 months and within 100 miles of where Python was created.

:stare::fh:

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

theres no sex in the php room

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

all the php girls are botched trannies

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ppp posted:

thanks to obama, both of those are people though. lol
oh, good, that means they can get obamacare

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

CaptainMeatpants posted:

rude

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CaptainMeatpants posted:

u have no right 2 judge me

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

CaptainMeatpants posted:

tinyaoichild

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

rotor posted:

no but seriously.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
END TRANSMISSION

don't make sulk leave he makes me feel better about myself

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

text editor posted:

don't make sulk leave he makes me feel better about myself

:unsmith:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

theres no sex in the php room

no you're thinking of the haskell room

well you can unsafePerformSex i guess

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

yaoi prophet posted:

no you're thinking of the haskell room

well you can unsafePerformSex i guess

no you're trying to overanalyze it

a classic mistake for a person with autism

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I was told this thread was for the discussion of and potentially smack talk regarding programming languages and not a GBS style feminist circlejerk

speaking of haskell janin how painless is C and C++ interop, I've taken this little clojure side project as far as it can go and it's been fun but it's not like I actually planned to suggest dropping a JVM bollock into our core trade switching punchbowl

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

speaking of haskell janin how painless is C and C++ interop, I've taken this little clojure side project as far as it can go and it's been fun but it's not like I actually planned to suggest dropping a JVM bollock into our core trade switching punchbowl

haskell is poo poo why aren't you using java ?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Haskell is fun because there's this shitload of interesting purely functional data structure papers out there and you can just steal all of it for your other favorite functional programming language of choice.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I think my favourite thing (of late) to come out of the haskell swamp is this
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/dimitris/icfp12.pdf

(they've found a way to compile code with type errors, almost as if you were using a dynamic language :q:)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

*YOU* are full of bullshit.

C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot
of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much
easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if
the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out,
that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

In other words: the choice of C is the only sane choice. I know Miles
Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come
to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be
in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really *would* prefer to piss
off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.

C++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using
the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other
total and utter crap, that may "help" you program, but causes:

- infinite amounts of pain when they don't work (and anybody who tells me
that STL and especially Boost are stable and portable is just so full
of BS that it's not even funny)

- inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road
you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all
your code depends on all the nice object models around it, and you
cannot fix it without rewriting your app.

In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level and
portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that are
basically available in C. And limiting your project to C means that people
don't screw that up, and also means that you get a lot of programmers that
do actually understand low-level issues and don't screw things up with any
idiotic "object model" crap.

So I'm sorry, but for something like git, where efficiency was a primary
objective, the "advantages" of C++ is just a huge mistake. The fact that
we also piss off people who cannot see that is just a big additional
advantage.

If you want a VCS that is written in C++, go play with Monotone. Really.
They use a "real database". They use "nice object-oriented libraries".
They use "nice C++ abstractions". And quite frankly, as a result of all
these design decisions that sound so appealing to some CS people, the end
result is a horrible and unmaintainable mess.

But I'm sure you'd like it more than git.

Linus

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
linus is dreamy.

hell, he even saves GA's posting

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
look at all that rightposting about C from the man himself

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Linuc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

does anyone in here use cakephp or know anything about it

don't ask why i'm asking about it. just tell me how much less miserable it makes php on a scale from "still really miserable" to "5% more tolerable" but i'm assuming it's still really miserable and you'd be better off with drupal

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Sulk posted:

does anyone in here use cakephp or know anything about it

don't ask why i'm asking about it. just tell me how much less miserable it makes php on a scale from "still really miserable" to "5% more tolerable" but i'm assuming it's still really miserable and you'd be better off with drupal

drupal is pretty bad too

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

even CoC php goons admit cakephp is terrible

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

drupal is pretty bad too

yeah i mean i know nothing about drupal but i assumed it was at least better in the sense that it is extensively used while this cakephp poo poo has like 2 paragraphs about it on wikipedia and not many resources that i'm aware of.

CaptainMeatpants posted:

even CoC php goons admit cakephp is terrible

this is something i'm afraid of. i'm pretty desperately seeking any kind of entry level job i can get right now and i had a 40-minute interview today in response to a somewhat nutty ad that was posted on craigslist (clever in context, considering that CL is generally poo poo, but still silly overall), and i guess they use the framework for at least one of the things they do. the pay would probably be good, but i'm not sure what other people they have lined up to interview and what their attitude is going to be in regards to no-cs degree.

the interviewer was kind of implying i haven't done any actual programming (and saying that it would result in maybe doing an internship instead) while i was saying "go check out my github account, i literally have a django/jquery project on there that utilizes other stuff as well." she apparently didn't even really go over my resume which is highly unprofessional, and i now have like a week to learn this supposedly poo poo framework/enough php to get by that i can show them i'm capable of learning something quickly. but poo poo it's hard to even consider an internship as it's teetering on the point of not being worth it due to the commute.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Sulk posted:

yeah i mean i know nothing about drupal but i assumed it was at least better in the sense that it is extensively used while this cakephp poo poo has like 2 paragraphs about it on wikipedia and not many resources that i'm aware of.

this is something i'm afraid of. i'm pretty desperately seeking any kind of entry level job i can get right now and i had a 40-minute interview today in response to a somewhat nutty ad that was posted on craigslist (clever in context, considering that CL is generally poo poo, but still silly overall), and i guess they use the framework for at least one of the things they do. the pay would probably be good, but i'm not sure what other people they have lined up to interview and what their attitude is going to be in regards to no-cs degree.

the interviewer was kind of implying i haven't done any actual programming (and saying that it would result in maybe doing an internship instead) while i was saying "go check out my github account, i literally have a django/jquery project on there that utilizes other stuff as well." she apparently didn't even really go over my resume which is highly unprofessional, and i now have like a week to learn this supposedly poo poo framework/enough php to get by that i can show them i'm capable of learning something quickly. but poo poo it's hard to even consider an internship as it's teetering on the point of not being worth it due to the commute.

Sounds like a sneaky way of trying to pay you less. I'd probably keep looking.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

text editor posted:

Sounds like a sneaky way of trying to pay you less. I'd probably keep looking.

yeah I don't know. you should see the ad, I linked it in #cobol when I was talking to some people a couple nights ago and it basically had a bunch of poorly formatted (due to CL I imagine) PHP code and they had you write a something to figure out the email to submit a resume or whatever to. I did it in python (which was noted at the interview when I was sitting in front of three people) and sent it over and had a call literally five minutes later. the reason she had me come in though was the actual text of my email, which I started off by stating (this is a quote) "I'm not going to lie that I don't know a lick of PHP and think it's a complete abomination of a language ... (paraphrase) so I did it in Python." apparently insulting languages is funny to hirers.

it sucks because I really want to break into the field and I'm at least somewhat capable of actually coding, and the job was posted as an entry level position, and yet "I haven't programmed" even though I have a github with personal code on it right now that utilizes at least three different technologies as well as makes use of S3 storage in loading data, which I know tons of companies use and it and EC2 are becoming buzzwords these days. on the other hand, it's still PHP and not even drupal, so I don't know how far that can really take me, and like you said I'm partly concerned now that they would try to pay me less.

edit: that said I don't think the interview itself actually went poorly, since 40 minutes isn't too bad, especially for something entry level, and I think I conducted and presented myself pretty well

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
dont talk to it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

dont talk to it

don't talk to what

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Sulk posted:

the reason she had me come in though was the actual text of my email, which I started off by stating (this is a quote) "I'm not going to lie that I don't know a lick of PHP and think it's a complete abomination of a language ... (paraphrase) so I did it in Python." apparently insulting languages is funny to hirers.

cute

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i wrote my first asp.net MVC app today and it was painful and im still reliving every moment

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tef posted:

I think my favourite thing (of late) to come out of the haskell swamp is this
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/dimitris/icfp12.pdf

(they've found a way to compile code with type errors, almost as if you were using a dynamic language :q:)

code:
ghci> let foo = (True, 'a' && False)
Warning: Couldn't match `Bool' with `Char'
ghci> :type foo
(Bool, Bool)
ghci> fst foo
True
ghci> snd foo
Runtime error: Couldn't match `Bool' with `Char'
oh my god this owns and i really hope it makes it into 7.6 or something if for no other reason than so that i can load my poo poo in ghci without tossing undefineds everywhere to make stuff typecheck

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

dont talk to it

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

the interviewer was kind of implying i haven't done any actual programming

she was right

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the recruiter is not your friend or your confessor, do not be deceived

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i've been using R a lot recently for some modeling stuff

this about sums it up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Sulk posted:

yeah I don't know. you should see the ad, I linked it in #cobol when I was talking to some people a couple nights ago and it basically had a bunch of poorly formatted (due to CL I imagine) PHP code and they had you write a something to figure out the email to submit a resume or whatever to. I did it in python (which was noted at the interview when I was sitting in front of three people) and sent it over and had a call literally five minutes later. the reason she had me come in though was the actual text of my email, which I started off by stating (this is a quote) "I'm not going to lie that I don't know a lick of PHP and think it's a complete abomination of a language ... (paraphrase) so I did it in Python." apparently insulting languages is funny to hirers.

it sucks because I really want to break into the field and I'm at least somewhat capable of actually coding, and the job was posted as an entry level position, and yet "I haven't programmed" even though I have a github with personal code on it right now that utilizes at least three different technologies as well as makes use of S3 storage in loading data, which I know tons of companies use and it and EC2 are becoming buzzwords these days. on the other hand, it's still PHP and not even drupal, so I don't know how far that can really take me, and like you said I'm partly concerned now that they would try to pay me less.

edit: that said I don't think the interview itself actually went poorly, since 40 minutes isn't too bad, especially for something entry level, and I think I conducted and presented myself pretty well

didn't read much of this but learn java because there literally isn't enough java programers in the world

actually dont because that means i get paid more