Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the tips! Before my injury I ran marathons/raced bikes, so I'm hoping to at least get back to one of those two when I'm in Madison. I've gotten that impression from my searches and finding that they use a lot of LIDAR around Madison/Wisconsin in general. Thanks for the heads up. :(

If you cut through Dubuque and follow the Great River Road to Prairie du Chien, it would be worth the extra drive. There's a castle-house on the WI/Illinois border of the river, perched on a cliff and overlooking Dubuque right next to the 151 bridge. From there, you could cut over through Fennimore and Dodgeville for more hilly views, or follow the Wisconsin River to Mazomanie. There's great views all through this region, and a ton of really good backroads and county roads.

Road bikers and mountain bikers both have tons to do around Madison - I almost snapped my bike frame at Blue Mound State Park's trails last summer, and I plan on doing more damage at Dubuque's FDR and Platteville's Hirsch trail this summer. I hear Cam-Rock and Quarry Ridge are both good also, and they will be closer for you.

Basically, SW Wisconsin is where it's at. Be jealous of us.

EDIT: oops, new page, need content...

Every car pack has had some sort of ridiculous trim upgrade on one of the cars, what will it be with the Porsche pack?

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

CaseFace McGee posted:

Every car pack has had some sort of ridiculous trim upgrade on one of the cars, what will it be with the Porsche pack?

Widebodies, slantnoses, whaletails and a rally 959, which I guess is not an anatomically-related compound word.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

This is the ONE car I was hoping for! YES!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I keep seeing people pumped for cars they've already announced- you guys know that all the Porsches from FM3 are in, right? That means the 959 and 914 were never in doubt, nor is the 944 or 550. As for the 928, we'll have to see on that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

GOD IS BED posted:

I keep seeing people pumped for cars they've already announced- you guys know that all the Porsches from FM3 are in, right? That means the 959 and 914 were never in doubt, nor is the 944 or 550. As for the 928, we'll have to see on that.
Is this just you assuming that due to the fact that all the current models shown are in FM3, or do did you find this out? If so I'm chuffed as I need my 944 again.

e: They better put the OEM wheels on the 944. I have no idea why it was on mid 90's 911 wheels. Put teledials, ATS Cookie cutters, fuchs etc on...

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 10, 2012

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

GOD IS BED posted:

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/content/291-forza-horizon.html
30 cars, 7 of them will be new to the Forza Franchise.

According to this list, http://forza3.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/forzamotorsport3/carlist.aspx , there are 27 Porsches in Forza 3. So they can't all be included in Forza 4 because 7 will be new.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GOD IS BED posted:

Regarding the 928... It seems like everything that was up for grabs in that crazy-rear end Jalopnik voting thing a while back that didn't make it into Forza 3 was in Forza 4? At least the ones that made it near the end, anyway... So hopefully, on the 928!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to jump on and do some racing. If anyone has a hobby going, please send me an invite.

Gamertag JCole

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Falken posted:

e: They better put the OEM wheels on the 944. I have no idea why it was on mid 90's 911 wheels. Put teledials, ATS Cookie cutters, fuchs etc on...

They probably just used whatever wheels were on the car they scanned. Some guy buys a 944, puts 911 wheels on it then Turn 10 scans it without realizing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still want to know how Turn-10 managed to gently caress up the wheels on the Mazda 787B though.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

xzzy posted:

I would donate organs if Turn 10 splintered off a motorbike game. I love cars, but two wheel racing is pretty drat exciting too.

This is my dream too. There's simply no decent motorcycle game made for this generation of consoles. I doubt there ever will :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Some 787s had both wheels the same design, whilst some had the "front wheel fairing" type design.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ringo R posted:

This is my dream too. There's simply no decent motorcycle game made for this generation of consoles. I doubt there ever will :(

The gran turismo based motorcycle game was really really hard to get good at, and as a result I don't think it sold well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last decent motogp game was MotoGP 3 on the original xbox, and I loved the poo poo out of it. It had a first person perspective available and some of the real world tracks are night and day different compared to driving them with a car.

The twisty bits on Mugello really stood out to me.. you can blaze through them so gloriously fast on a bike if you get the turns right, where most cars feel like they can barely hold grip.

Now I'm making myself sad. :smith:

C'mon Turn 10, you know you wanna make a bike game.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

jonathan posted:

The gran turismo based motorcycle game was really really hard to get good at, and as a result I don't think it sold well.

That game was not very much fun until you played it for a while and it clicked. Then it was awesome. If T10 made a proper, proper motorcycle game or properly added motorcycles to the next Forza game, I would be all over that. I'm not much of a motorcycle guy, but it would be cool.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

captainOrbital posted:

That game was not very much fun until you played it for a while and it clicked. Then it was awesome. If T10 made a proper, proper motorcycle game or properly added motorcycles to the next Forza game, I would be all over that. I'm not much of a motorcycle guy, but it would be cool.

I played the poo poo out of that game for a while, then switched back to GT4 - first race, blew the first corner worse than a level 10 pubbie playing online. Tracks really take on a whole new dimension with bikes.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I found a good representation of the tire wear in the Trans-Am races.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CaseFace McGee posted:

I played the poo poo out of that game for a while, then switched back to GT4 - first race, blew the first corner worse than a level 10 pubbie playing online. Tracks really take on a whole new dimension with bikes.
It does look very good. I was watching some footage of someone blasting around the Nurburgring, very nice.

I wish that our HUD in FM4 was nearly as good as GT4/TT's. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

or properly added motorcycles to the next Forza game,

Mixing cars and bikes is a really bad idea. Not only are huge problems generated when cars and bikes make contact, but their cornering and acceleration don't merge well so it gets all messy.

There was that PGR game that attempted it and it was hilariously bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Before the obligatory bitching, the 911 GT3 RS is a great car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, except for the dumb door decal, that's a 911 that needs to be in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yeah, except for the dumb door decal, that's a 911 that needs to be in.

No way, the door decal is one of the best features of the car. The different color combinations really makes it look cool. There's a black/red version, where the wheels are also red, and it looks great. There's a green version as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a "best feature" only in the sense that it's a faithful recreation.

The only interpretation I can make of its origin is taunting the viewer like a mole on a supermodel. It's there, and there's nothing else you can say about it because underlying kit is so badass.

And I think at some point I got lost and mixed a metaphor.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I said come in! posted:

No way, the door decal is one of the best features of the car.

That sounds like something one would say about the Renault LeCar.

"Well...it has zis stick-air on ze side! C'est magnifique!"

But yeah, you'll hear no bitching from me about the GT3 RS. Just don't read the Facebook comments.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

quackman posted:

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/content/291-forza-horizon.html
30 cars, 7 of them will be new to the Forza Franchise.

According to this list, http://forza3.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/forzamotorsport3/carlist.aspx , there are 27 Porsches in Forza 3. So they can't all be included in Forza 4 because 7 will be new.

aaaahhh, I figured they would cut out a few duplicate racing Porsches and put in the original cars. Didn't realize I was reading more into that article than it actually said.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You can order the GT3 RS without the decals :ssh:

We better get the 4.0 as well. Fewer cup cars, more road cars.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Bah its still the old 997.1 RS, why cant they model the 997.2 with centerlock wheels or the mental 4.0 one :(

Also the decals own and are a homage to the old 70s rs iirc

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

captainOrbital posted:

Just don't read the Facebook comments.

"Oh, is this the new Beetle?" :laugh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Falken posted:

Before the obligatory bitching, the 911 GT3 RS is a great car.

That was my favourite car from forza 1. It wasn't the RS though. The exhaust sounded so good, and in forza 1, rear engine cars had the engine sound coming from the rear speakers in surround.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Just picked up forza 4 again. (and bioshock 2) I had it for a month back when it came out, then my dog chomped the disc through the case. God damned dog, guess I didn't leave enough homework laying around. I bought a new xbox since then too, so all my hard work on that level 50 profile was completely erased.

Surprised to see I'm still in LLJK though. Gamertag: InvadeFranceNow. I'll be prowling for some online competition soon.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Another interesting paintjob: 2011 Porsche #45 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, well, in one day, we have satisfied my modern 911 and racing 911 desire. Really, those are the only modern ones that I wanted. Now onwards to the nice older Porsches.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So looks like this after 1/3 reveal:

Race Car
'05 ALMS GT #31 Petersen-White Lightning 911 GT3-RSR (996)
'08 Porsche #2 Gruppe Orange Racing 911 GT3 Cup
'11 Porsce #54 Black Swan Racing 911 GT3 Cup
'11 Porsche #45 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR

Street Car
'70 914/6
'87 959
'95 911 GT2
'04 911 GT3 (996)
'07 911 GT3 RS (997)

Other
'12 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

With exception of the two 911 GT3 cup cars, which have different trim anyway, the 911 race cars all compete in different classes or specs.

So basically, no reskins yet. I reckon there will be no race car reskins. The 2011 #45 Black Swan Racing car is a new car, as is the 2011 Flying Lizard. The body shape and aero package has changed since 2009 so it's not just the 2009 Flying Lizard car with a newer livery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having seen these types of GT cars racing up close for the first time only recently (Long Beach GP), there's a remarkable amount of difference from the 911s competing in the lower classes (like Pirelli World Challenge) and the ones competing in ALMS. Whole different level of speed and noise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carroll Shelby passed away, yesterday. :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

RIP Carroll, thanks for creating a car that wound up giving the UK a speed limit!

Also, the 911 race cars look cool as hell if you ask me. Could be a good multiplayer spec in the making. 8 Drivers in GT trim 911s, 8 drivers in GTC/Cup trim.

Falken fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Need to redo that with every Shelby-influenced car in the game in a single shot. 427 Cobra, Cobra Daytona, GLHS, GT500, hell even the Series 1 and the SSC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
SSC is a different Shelby.

RIP Carroll Shelby.

• Locked thread