Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

titties posted:

This is the most reactive game I've ever played, and like everyone else I have been amazed by the new things I uncover with each playthrough. This is a game that allows complete freedom to handle every situation however you see fit, and it rewards and even comments on almost everything you do. There is virtually no wrong way to play AP.

Except without a giant beard. :colbert:

I like to shave the lumberjack beard after going on the run in the early game to disguise my identity, only to gradually regrow it mission by mission to majestic fullness for the final showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Crappy Jack posted:

Marburg is pretty badass, but Mike Thorton has something he doesn't.

A GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD.

I just watched that movie the other day, so this has almost brought me to tears laughing.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

p.crestmont posted:

I like to shave the lumberjack beard after going on the run in the early game to disguise my identity, only to gradually regrow it mission by mission to majestic fullness for the final showdown.

Meaning that same beard grows at half an inch a minute during the interludes with Leland?

(I, of course, switch to appropriate headgear for each country. Head wrap in Saudi Arabia, beanie/ushanka in Russia, big floppy hat in sunny Italy, whatever in Taiwan. Never saw the point of the hooligan cap, you're never expected to blend in in England.)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

p.crestmont posted:

Despite what I said before, during my veteran playthrough I've been gradually increasing the beard's majesty as I imagine Mike slowly descending through paranoia and into complete delusional madness as he learns that his best friend and lover Mina was the one who betrayed him in the beginning, struggles with his yearning for Scarlet, and his shock when he learns her real job and gets restrained and subsequently ~couga pounced~ by SIE.

Also, why is her name all in caps?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Because SIE is a code name. And SIE is an all-caps kinda lady.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Because she's a HEEL.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo!!!!

"You DID already give me the evidence."
"I did? I thought I gave you one of my mines." :smug:

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 14, 2012

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Darth Various posted:

Meaning that same beard grows at half an inch a minute during the interludes with Leland?

I think Thornton is always clean-shaven during the Leland cutscenes, probably to avoid weird facial hair continuity breaking.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

I think Thornton is always clean-shaven during the Leland cutscenes, probably to avoid weird facial hair continuity breaking.

I know it's for the sake of making it so your beard doesn't keep changing in the middle of the interrogation, but part of me would love it if Leland keeps stopping the in middle of a sentence every time you have the flash-forward, looking really oconfused and asking "W....wasn't your hair like totally different? And how did you just get a tan?"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crappy Jack posted:

I know it's for the sake of making it so your beard doesn't keep changing in the middle of the interrogation, but part of me would love it if Leland keeps stopping the in middle of a sentence every time you have the flash-forward, looking really oconfused and asking "W....wasn't your hair like totally different? And how did you just get a tan?"

Only as long as there's a janitor somewhere in the background. :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Two Finger posted:

the best line

In a game full of incredible moments and great lines, I think this is my favourite. It took me totally by surprise when I first saw it, too. In fact if I were you I would put that in spoiler tags just in case someone reading this thread has never seen that ending.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

In a game full of incredible moments and great lines, I think this is my favourite. It took me totally by surprise when I first saw it, too. In fact if I were you I would put that in spoiler tags just in case someone reading this thread has never seen that ending.

That was the reason I put it up completely without context, but fair enough, I'll edit it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Crappy Jack posted:

If I told you that there was a certain combination of clothes/hairstyles that would trigger this response, would you believe me?

(Don't, it's not true.)

I'm going to try to update my blog with something about a level in Rome every day for the next week. Today's is a short post on Marburg's Villa.

http://pkernaghan.wordpress.com/alpha-protocol/

It's part of transitioning my portfolio online and also making it not lovely at the same time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a line of code I change in a text file somewhere to unlock veteran mode? I want to replay Alpha Protocol with that on, but I don't want to play through recruit mode just to do it.

Also I had no idea that Mina was the one who sells you out, holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, I was ABSOLUTELY convinced that Marburg was played by Paul Giamatti (he sounds almost exactly the same as Giamatti does in Shoot 'em Up) and no, it's not him at all. Just the right amount of sleaze in his voice, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Two Finger posted:

Wow, I was ABSOLUTELY convinced that Marburg was played by Paul Giamatti (he sounds almost exactly the same as Giamatti does in Shoot 'em Up) and no, it's not him at all. Just the right amount of sleaze in his voice, though.

If I remember correcctly, Marburg is voiced by Jim Cummings

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

titties posted:

If I remember correcctly, Marburg is voiced by Jim Cummings

aka Winne the loving Pooh. Yeah.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Nehru the Damaja posted:

aka Winne the loving Pooh. Yeah.

Tigger too, iirc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Someone once said something about a dialogue tree where Mike describes himself as a hobo, is this true?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Someone once said something about a dialogue tree where Mike describes himself as a hobo, is this true?

I don't recall anything like this, closest thing I can think of is the fact that a while back I used to suggest that people do a playthrough where they RP'd Thorton as a crazy homeless guy who was mistakenly drugged up and taken to the Greybox instead of the actual Mike Thorton, but proceeds to go along with the spy poo poo anyway, yells at everybody all the time and smashes faces in whenever possible. Lumberjack beard, of course.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I don't recall anything like this, closest thing I can think of is the fact that a while back I used to suggest that people do a playthrough where they RP'd Thorton as a crazy homeless guy who was mistakenly drugged up and taken to the Greybox instead of the actual Mike Thorton, but proceeds to go along with the spy poo poo anyway, yells at everybody all the time and smashes faces in whenever possible. Lumberjack beard, of course.

That was probably it. drat. I was really hoping that the game would include some insane off-the-wall poo poo like that.

Also just got my Youth Trumps Experience achievement. Goddamn Thorton is stone cold on that conversation, calls the old bastard on all his bullshit.

"I will END you, Thorton."

No you won't, bitch, Fury, Iron Will, pulled your skull right out of your head and beat you to death with it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Two Finger posted:

That was probably it. drat. I was really hoping that the game would include some insane off-the-wall poo poo like that.

Also just got my Youth Trumps Experience achievement. Goddamn Thorton is stone cold on that conversation, calls the old bastard on all his bullshit.

"I will END you, Thorton."

No you won't, bitch, Fury, Iron Will, pulled your skull right out of your head and beat you to death with it.

What console are you playing on? PC version doesn't have achievements :negative:

And for a game like this, you really loving need achievements. What's that? You completed the achievement known as Thorton Inc.? TOO BAD NOT RECORDED.

(I'm bitter because I've earned that one, and it was fun and good, but I don't actually get an achievement.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

360 mate. I have Thorton Inc. I got it completely by accident, I glanced at the description and went 'gently caress that looks hard', then when I finished that playthrough, I got it! Go me.

Also, another fantastic line:
"If China prepares for war, the US prepares for war."

"And we rename egg rolls - free rolls."

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

That reminds me of Linkara's Crazy Steve. Any relation?

Two Finger posted:

Also, another fantastic line:
"If China prepares for war, the US prepares for war."

"And we rename egg rolls - free rolls."

Parker and Thorton, I presume?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No, that's Thorton and Leland.

As an aside, it's probably a coincidence that Leland shares a name with the antagonist of Needful Things, but they do more or less the same thing - jack up tensions for their own profit.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm guessing the name Leland was a tribute to the Leland character in Syriana. Syriana was mentioned somewhere along the way in development as a loose influence of AP.

Speaking of which, Syriana is loving amazing.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Leinadi posted:

I'm guessing the name Leland was a tribute to the Leland character in Syriana. Syriana was mentioned somewhere along the way in development as a loose influence of AP.

Speaking of which, Syriana is loving amazing.

I made everyone watch Syriana. I would have prefered to go a little more in that direction, but I don't know if we could have pulled off something that serious. As it stands though, my hope is that it at least made someone a little more interested in the intersection of world trade and the military industrial complex.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my main creative goal (With what little authority I had/took advantage of) was to address some of the issues that most troubled Eisenhower.

http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/speeches/ike_chance_for_peace.html

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just want to say again how much I absolutely loved Alpha Protocol.
I consider it to be very similar to Torment, in that the gameplay wasn't spectacular, but it REALLY shone in the story. I consider the conversation where Thorton sits there slagging off Marburg until he goes apeshit to be one of the best moments of the game, and it gains a lot of strength for me because despite Thorton actually having pretty much no personality, you can really see what a fantastic manipulator he is. He honestly almost sounds like he's enjoying calling Marburg out - 'how hosed up and empty do you have to be?'
I was another of those people who the sales clerk tried to stop me buying it 'this got really bad reviews, you know?', but it was in the bargain bin at $20 so I figured eh, why not.
Comte, thanks for your part in it. I will have to track down this Syriana and check it out.
Definitely going to recommend this game to everyone I know - I think it's the absolute definition of a diamond in the rough.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Two Finger posted:

I consider the conversation where Thorton sits there slagging off Marburg until he goes apeshit to be one of the best moments of the game

For me, that wasn't just the best moment in Alpha Protocol, it was one of the best moments in any game I've ever played. Maybe not top 5, but definitely top 10. It gets even further bonus points for the excellence of the moment coming from the storytelling, and not the simple fact that when you fail a jump 76 times it's really satisfying to make it on the 77th try.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Alpha Protocol has like a dozen iconic moments it's impossible to pick just one.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't think any other game has that kind of thing, really. Like, every game protagonist has badass action moments but none that I can think of has the opportunity to absolutely verbally assault someone into submission. The Marburg bit gets a lot of love, but I also adore the 'Analysis Flawed' bit with Parker where you basically shove all of his wrong conclusions back in his face.

Just ended up repurchasing this game on PS3 after getting the itch, I'm still choking out guards in the tutorial and goddamn do I love this game.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think any other game has that kind of thing, really. Like, every game protagonist has badass action moments but none that I can think of has the opportunity to absolutely verbally assault someone into submission. The Marburg bit gets a lot of love, but I also adore the 'Analysis Flawed' bit with Parker where you basically shove all of his wrong conclusions back in his face.

Just ended up repurchasing this game on PS3 after getting the itch, I'm still choking out guards in the tutorial and goddamn do I love this game.

In this way too, the closest analogue to AP is Planescape Torment. TNO can absolutely verbally assault someone into submission. "What can change the nature of a man" indeed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think I've mentioned this before, but my main creative goal (With what little authority I had/took advantage of) was to address some of the issues that most troubled Eisenhower.

http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/speeches/ike_chance_for_peace.html

This section from that speech:

Eisenhower posted:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

is one of my favourite pieces of writing, and it depresses me immensely how Eisenhower's administration essentially betrayed that ideal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I can think of a few - the old Black Isle (Planescape Torment, Fallout) and Troika (Arcanum, Vampire: Bloodlines) games come to mind.

Torment in particular places far more weight on dialogue than on combat and is full of this. Among other things you can convince Vhailor to kill himself in at least two different ways, you can win a debate on the nature of death by killing yourself in the debate hall and coming back to life, and you can resolve the confrontation with the final boss by convincing him that he is a part of you, threatening to will yourself out of existence, or actually willing yourself out of existence - among other things.

Fallout also has a fantastic path in the endgame where you can obtain scientific evidence that The Master's plan is unworkable, walk into his office, slap your research documents down on his desk and go "your plan is hopeless and I can prove it", defeating him without even drawing a weapon.

Moments like this in Alpha Protocol have a bit more impact, though, due to the excellent voice acting and choreography - I'm not sure what else to call it, but I mean the body language and facial expressions and whatnot of the characters, which most games gently caress up hard or ignore completely - of the dialogue.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This section from that speech:

is one of my favourite pieces of writing, and it depresses me immensely how Eisenhower's administration essentially betrayed that ideal.

Not to mention his party and nation. The US stands, on one end, as a beacon of liberalism and justice, and on the other hand is willing to bomb, torture, and incarcerate for *individual* gain. The nation does not benefit from the drug war, but some individuals and special (read: corporate) interests do. The military-industrial complex is quite clearly a squandering of our national treasures, but it makes a few extremely wealthy.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 24, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I finished the game on my first run and will be going back as a recruit next time around but a few questions:

1) I guess I didn't find where Scarlet or Mia were being hidden in the base because they were killed or vanished in the end text. Are they in Greybox?

2) How do I kill that motherfucker Marburg this time around?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

weekly font posted:

I finished the game on my first run and will be going back as a recruit next time around but a few questions:

1) I guess I didn't find where Scarlet or Mia were being hidden in the base because they were killed or vanished in the end text. Are they in Greybox?

2) How do I kill that motherfucker Marburg this time around?

1) Yes they're both in Greybox. I forget Scarlet's exact location (She's in the room with the "big-rear end screen" that Westridge briefs you and Leland interrogates you in, but I don't remember how you get there. Just check every optional door and you should find it.), but Mina is in the door on the left when Leland or Westridge tell you that they have Mina captive.

2) To kill Marburg in the museum you have to give all suave responses to Marburg in the museum conversations, already have him dislike you going into that mission (so just use suave responses for every conversation with him), and choose to defuse the bombs. If you go into the Marburg fight without him already disliking you he'll know you're just trying to get under his skin and still leave. You also might need to have the suave perk and all of the intel on his file, but I'm not sure about that part. Someone else might be able to clarify.

He's also a possible boss in the Greybox, but I've never met the conditions for that to happen.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 26, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Thanks. I really, really want to kill him. On the other hand, is there any way that you don't fight Darcy at Greybox? I liked him/her. :)

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

TechnoSyndrome posted:

2) To kill Marburg in the museum you have to give all suave responses to Marburg in the museum conversations, already have him dislike you going into that mission (so just use suave responses for every conversation with him), and choose to defuse the bombs. If you go into the Marburg fight without him already disliking you he'll know you're just trying to get under his skin and still leave. You also might need to have the suave perk and all of the intel on his file, but I'm not sure about that part. Someone else might be able to clarify.
The suave perk doesn't matter, but you have to have used mostly suave responses throughout the game up to that point. That's the most important part, if you aren't regularly suave you can be at -10 with him and he'll still just run away. If you're professional with everyone else and try to just be suave with Marburg, he'll know you're just trying to get under his skin and won't take the bait. If he mentions during the cafe scene that you have the reputation of being someone who uses words over action, you know you're on the right track.

Having lots of intel helps too, I don't think you need 100%, though, just enough to read about his failed operation that got him burned and cut loose by the government.

weekly font posted:

Thanks. I really, really want to kill him. On the other hand, is there any way that you don't fight Darcy at Greybox? I liked him/her. :)
No, sadly that's one of the least reactive things in the game. There's nothing you can do that will change the fight, or even the dialogue that goes along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hannibal Smith posted:

Having lots of intel helps too, I don't think you need 100%, though, just enough to read about his failed operation that got him burned and cut loose by the government.
You don't need 100% but the dialogue changes depending on if you do. Thorton only does the "boo-loving-hoo" burn if you have it all.

• Locked thread