Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

ImpAtom posted:

You can go full-on crazy when designing guns but beyond a certain point they become indistinguishable from magic. (And a lot of RPGs have characters who use 'magic' by using goofy fancy weapons.)

SMT Strange Journey was guilty here. Nothing says charm like a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Parasite Eve takes place in 90's New York. I haven't played The World Ends With You but that took place in modern day I believe. This setting is vastly underutilized.

Parasite eve had an amazing gun mechanic, so is borderlands.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bleusilences posted:

Parasite eve had an amazing gun mechanic, so is borderlands.
Borderlands is only barely an RPG, though.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

swoollacott posted:

Just finished looking through my RPG collection and it seems like 99.9% of them are either fantasy or sci-fi. The only one's I've played that are set in modern times are Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG that has a modern setting?

The Legacy: Realm of Terror is set in 1993. It's probably the best horror RPG there is, but beware: it's really challenging.

Jagged Alliance 2.

Liberal Crime Squad (roguelike).

Twilight 2000.

Hammer & Sickle.

Earthbound.

Also, um, Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble? :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you dislike grinding and the occult, then you'd probably want to avoid SMT, because that series and its spinoffs are all about both of those things.

Pokemon's fantasy but it's a contemporary sort of fantasy. Somehow I don't think you didn't know about that, though. Ditto the Mega Man Battle Network series (I don't know which of these are actually good).

Valkyria Chronicles is Anime World War II, which is only a few decades out from being modern.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Bongo Bill posted:

Valkyria Chronicles is Anime World War II, which is only a few decades out from being modern.

I played this on PSP and loved it. Very nice use of weapons and strategy. No grinding required if you don't want to. Lots of stuff to unlock if you do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pierce posted:

I played this on PSP and loved it. Very nice use of weapons and strategy. No grinding required if you don't want to. Lots of stuff to unlock if you do.

That'd be Valkyria Chronicles 2, I think, which received criticism for being much more anime than its predecessor on PS3.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I doubt if I've ever grinded in an SMT game my first time through, it's more something you do when you have the system mastered and New Game+ at your back. Otherwise, grinding is totally unnecessary and is absolutely no substitute for learning the system.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Utgardaloki posted:

I doubt if I've ever grinded in an SMT game my first time through, it's more something you do when you have the system mastered and New Game+ at your back. Otherwise, grinding is totally unnecessary and is absolutely no substitute for learning the system.
SMT games grind themselves for you with higher-than-average (sometimes MERCILESS) encounter rates. If you have to actually go out of your way to grind, then you're compensating for lack of knowledge of particular strategy.

The most popular example of this is the infamous Matador fight in Nocturne (which can be construed as not only a lack of knowledge of a particular strategy but also bad luck at choosing which abilities to level up on your main character).

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Bongo Bill posted:

That'd be Valkyria Chronicles 2, I think, which received criticism for being much more anime than its predecessor on PS3.

Yep, it was 2. The story was anime but the strategy made up for it. I play more for mechanics than story.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
If you don't mind strategy, the Front Mission games have a fairly modern setting. FM3 is one of my all time favs and has a great soundtrack!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ankle-biter posted:

If you don't mind strategy, the Front Mission games have a fairly modern setting. FM3 is one of my all time favs and has a great soundtrack!

I love FM4 as well. I loved FM5 after the translation patch hit and hate SquareEnix for what they did to the series after that. I'd love a return to form for that series.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Levantine posted:

I love FM4 as well. I loved FM5 after the translation patch hit and hate SquareEnix for what they did to the series after that. I'd love a return to form for that series.

I enjoyed FM4 a lot more than I thought I would. My primary complaint with it was that you couldn't really target points on a wanzer like in previous games, making crippling them a total game of chance.

My other complaint is one entirely of my making: whenever I was controlling Elsa, every battle was a struggle to survive, but whenever I was in command of Darril, I was a bipedal god of destruction.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Cardiovorax posted:

Borderlands is only barely an RPG, though.

I am mostly talking about how the guns are randomly created with different stats.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
FM5 is such a blistering good game, it's a down right shame it never came west.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

My other complaint is one entirely of my making: whenever I was controlling Elsa, every battle was a struggle to survive, but whenever I was in command of Darril, I was a bipedal god of destruction.

I liked that the two sides actively felt like they handled differently. Darril's group was a chaotic mess of different weapons and styles, but it gave you a lot of versatility, while Elsa's group formed a tight firing squad of machine gunners who used a melee wanzer to paint their target.

But yes, Elsa's later stages, especially the ones with about 8 missilers, can piss right off.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've never played any of the Front Mission games. Is there one that might be better than others as an entry into the series? Alternately, if I only managed to find time to play one game in the series, which should it be?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

FM3 is faster, less strategic, and more immediately satisfying in an 'I punch a mech's arm off' way, and can be grabbed straight from the PSN. FM4 is slower and more strategic, and while individual attacks aren't very satisfying clearing out a level with your death squad working in tandem can be pretty great.

If you've got access to a PS3 or PSP I'd play 3 first, if nothing else because it's dirt cheap.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

MockingQuantum posted:

I've never played any of the Front Mission games. Is there one that might be better than others as an entry into the series? Alternately, if I only managed to find time to play one game in the series, which should it be?

If you can find some way to play Front Mission 5, you should pretty much play that.
It does have some references to the other games in the series, but you won't be missing that much by just playing Front Mission 5.

Otherwise, Front Mission 3 for the PS1 is generally the next best one. It's also only 10$ on PSN so it's pretty easy to obtain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why not start with Front Mission 1 on the DS? I had plenty of fun with that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

Play Front Mission 1 on the DS. It's the most standalone, and pretty short'ish and the simplest while still staying fun. All subsequent Front Mission games usually have something to do with FM1's story as well, or at least make indirect references to it.

You can't play FM2 in English and I haven't personally. There's an ongoing translation but I don't think it's getting far since the group kind of broke down and passed the torch to another group that's been doing nothing with it. FM2 is infamous for being the hardest (and probably the only challenging Front Mission game, they're all very easy for the most part).

FM3 is usually the second title people play and also probably the biggest of the Front Mission games as far as content. I have mixed feelings about FM3 as it tends to be slow in a lot of things, from animations to plot. Lots of people love FM3 because you can do some crazy Wanzer hyjinks like punch a pilot out of the mech and then stealing his mech (which admittedly is pretty funny). Game is long as gently caress and sports an entire internet for you to dick around with inbetween missions.

FM4 is fun but has a pretty dumb plot; still has the same slowness to it that FM3 did. The squad-link system gets introduced in this one and is fun to play with as you chain attacks between squad members on enemies for some pretty big attacks. The pilot ejection system is gone in this one unfortunately. It's a fairly medium length game but gets a lot of flak for not really advancing the series much aside from the link system.

FM5 is basically the love letter to Front Mission fans. It only introduces a few small new gameplay mechanics but refines all the existing ones (but sadly still no pilot ejection/capture system). The link system is its best here, the part variety is pretty wide, pilot selection is customizable, and the story is pretty fun and varied. The downside to FM5 is that the game's plot is absolutely full of references to every single previous FM game. There will be times when you generally have no clue what's going on in the bigger picture (they won't tell you, it's up to you to connect dots from previous games) but since you're a soldier in the military, you just soldier on and blow poo poo up. Great game all around, but you will need to use a fan translation.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 13, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Front Mission 3 was my introduction to the series. It has this crazy internet metagame that doesn't exist in any other FM game. It can be tedious or interesting depending on your level of interest in the world they've created. You can also get the super top secret Wanzer and weapon from it (which is awesome). The game is slow as Rascyc said, but once you get rolling you just start cannibalizing other Wanzers and destroying battlefields. Some of my favorite fights are the long, protracted ones where you're out of everything so you start having pilots man abandoned enemy Wanzers with like 1 arm or whatever just to do whatever damage you can.

I am of the opinion that FM4's plot it pretty entertaining but sort of in a popcorn, Michael Bay way. It's big and twisty but the multiple perspectives lend something to the game. Squad link system leads to some sick kills when supporting with snipers.

And Front Mission 5 is just incredible. It's like the best of everything the series could offer. But again, like Rascyc said, you need to have played the previous titles to really get everything thrown at you. Still a mechanically fun game.

EDIT: Incidentally i finished up my double feature of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn and decided I wanted to play another tactical game. I played FM recently so I settled on Arc the Lad II which is really pretty fun. I played it when it first released on the PSX and enjoyed it then but I had forgotten just how simple and quick a game it is (until later on when the enemy stats start skyrocketing). If you're in the market for a simple (mechanically) SRPG with a weird modern/fantasy world I think it's worth a shot. You can get it from PSN now which is nice and cheap.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 13, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm kind of depressed I never got around to finishing FM5 because it's as every bit as good as people have said here. The initial fan patch I was using was pretty bad though, I wonder if it's improved any since then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm kind of depressed I never got around to finishing FM5 because it's as every bit as good as people have said here. The initial fan patch I was using was pretty bad though, I wonder if it's improved any since then.

What was wrong with it?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's been a while but it seemed to be riddled with spelling and grammar errors and just seemed very, VERY rough around the edges. Some things almost read like they were machine translated.

It was playable but it definitely made me wish for a cleaned up version. It was the first "full" one they put out, not sure how much has changed since then.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can't really speak to the quality of the translation itself but there wasn't a slew of misspellings or bad grammar when I played through (twice).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I've played FM1 and bits of FM3, but the latter just felt really slow to me so I just kinda lost interest around mission 5 or so. My favorite, though, is definitely Gun Hazard. It's just such a ridiculous and fun and simple game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gun Hazard is awesome but for completely different reasons than most FM games. That doesn't mean it isn't awesome though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Gun Hazard is awesome but for completely different reasons than most FM games. That doesn't mean it isn't awesome though.

Being the spiritual sequel to Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken is an instant pass to being awesome.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
So I got high and thought up some games I would like to play, thought I would ask here:
Has there ever been a good J/RPG that revolves around giant robots?
Has there ever been a good J/RPG involving spaceship dogfights ala Star Fox/Cowboy Bebop?
Xenoblade Chronicles has the most beautiful game world I've seen in a JRPG, and it's really fun to explore. What other games have exploration that is as fun and interesting?

Thanks. :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

So I got high and thought up some games I would like to play, thought I would ask here:
Has there ever been a good J/RPG involving spaceship dogfights ala Star Fox/Cowboy Bebop?
Xenoblade Chronicles has the most beautiful game world I've seen in a JRPG, and it's really fun to explore. What other games have exploration that is as fun and interesting?

There have been a ton of JRPGs involving giant robots. It depends on what you're looking for. Xenogears is obviously the most noteworthy but there's plenty others. MS Saga, for example, is a Gundam spinoff where you build your own robots and JRPG battle them. The Super Robot Wars series is a strategy-RPG franchise based entirely around that.

Spaceship dogfights... maybe try Infinite Space? It's not quite Star Fox but...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

For my money, DQ8 had one of the most engaging and interesting overworlds in ages.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

Xenogears covers the first question there pretty thoroughly. I can't really recommend playing it yourself, but TheDarkId did a drat good LP of it last year.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stelas posted:

For my money, DQ8 had one of the most engaging and interesting overworlds in ages.

This confuses me because while there is some stuff to do on the DQ8 overworld (rare monsters, treasure chests) its all very dull visually. The world is mostly DBZ style hills and grass with the token desert and arctic regions. Don't get me wrong I really like the game and definitely recommend it but that was actually a point that nagged me when I played.

I recommend FF12 for good exploration, world building, and a large variety of environment types.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

dis astranagant posted:

Xenogears covers the first question there pretty thoroughly. I can't really recommend playing it yourself, but TheDarkId did a drat good LP of it last year.
Why would someone rather read a LP than play the actual game, seriously it's the loving gooniest thing ever I literally don't get it at all

anyway, I'm not sure I'd say Xenogears "revolves around" giant robots but you do fight in them quite a bit and it's a great game so yeah maybe play it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Why would someone rather read a LP than play the actual game, seriously it's the loving gooniest thing ever I literally don't get it at all

anyway, I'm not sure I'd say Xenogears "revolves around" giant robots but you do fight in them quite a bit and it's a great game so yeah maybe play it

Mostly because the gameplay's pretty meh and the dungeon design is just awful. Plus it's a lot easier to figure out what's going on when you can go back and reread stuff since it loving loves its infodumps.

And it's not like you actually get to play much of the second disk anyway. There's some cool poo poo buried in there, but on the whole it's pretty poorly executed.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 15, 2012

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies! Infinite Space looks drat cool and is pretty much what I meant by "spaceshop dogfights" - from what I read you command multiple (!) ships, fight space pirates, get ship schematics, and have a roster with like 30 people to assign jobs to do and stuff. It sounds huge and ambitious and awesome for a DS game, and I'll probably check it out. I haven't played my DS in loving ages.

I was kind of looking for the same sort of thing with the giant robots, like a Gundam-style giant rig that you can customize. I've never played Xenogears and my friend has a PS2 that he lets me borrow from time to time, and checking out that LP makes it seem interesting if a little dated. Nothing wrong with that, though! I just love the idea of huge robots fighting in space with huge explosions and that sort of thing. I've been hooked on Gurren Lagann recently.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

dis astranagant posted:

Mostly because the gameplay's pretty meh and the dungeon design is just awful. Plus it's a lot easier to figure out what's going on when you can go back and reread stuff since it loving loves its infodumps.
That's great and all, but I mean if you're not going to play a game because it is ostensibly not very good, then why would you give a poo poo about watching someone else playing it and reading its retarded and convoluted plot? read a book or watch a film, games are for playing :negative:

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I've played FM1 and bits of FM3, but the latter just felt really slow to me so I just kinda lost interest around mission 5 or so. My favorite, though, is definitely Gun Hazard. It's just such a ridiculous and fun and simple game.

I'm in the exact same boat here, FM1 is one of the few SNES jRPGS I ever got round to actually finishing, but when I tried 3 (Whats the deal with 2?) I just never got into it. Do goons think its worth giving it another shot? Whats 4 like? and has anyone else got any opinions on the quality of the translation patch? I'd really like more Front Mission in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
This is a crosspost from the steam thread, but since we're on the topic on RPGs with guns I figure it's as good a time as any.

Has there been any discussion on the newly released PC port Call Of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land? It's a turn based strategy RPG akin to Silent Storm about Cthuloid horrors in a WW1 setting, originally released on iOS. The Rock, Paper, Shotgun review made it sound interesting and rather fun with it's execution of trench warfare, but with some bad UI decisions, a camp story and too many of your dudes having to survive. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...he-wasted-land/

It's 5 bucks on Intel's PC DD thing and even though I have Front Mission 4 in progress, I'm tempted to get it sometime soon. Anyone else played this on either platform and have any impressions?