Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

im kinda pissed at java guys, they act like gc is super cool and everyone should use it and then when your heap gets over a couple gigs they're like "oh, you were going to *use* that heap? lol sucks to be you". at this point it looks like my best option is to break the one monster jvm into a bunch of little ones that can full collect independently and do something dumb to serialize requests to each baby jvm. all because I'm too dumb to manage my own memory and don't get to have memory pools

how big is your heap? have you looked into azul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there's pretty much no limit to how much heap we could use because an expensive request will tie up 10GB of heap for several minutes (reducing heap usage is possible but not feasible in the next few months and poo poo is broken now, soooo). 64GB isn't enough for peak usage but it's enough that we're better off bouncing the server than letting it do a full GC because any requests from the front end time out before the gc finishes

i'm talking to azul and am currently at the "tell us everything about your setup and problem so we can decide if we think zing will help" stage

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
that's actually not a horrible strategy; spin up worker vm's with huge heaps every time you need to run a job and reclaim them immediately when the job is complete.

there's other mechanisms i heard about from azul like using some huge bytebuffer as some kind of scratchpad and never letting go of it but i've never had to go above ~ 8GB of heap and definitely never needed to gc that much so good luck i guess :/

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

that's actually not a horrible strategy; spin up worker vm's with huge heaps every time you need to run a job and reclaim them immediately when the job is complete.
CGI vindicated once again

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there's other mechanisms i heard about from azul like using some huge bytebuffer as some kind of scratchpad and never letting go of it but i've never had to go above ~ 8GB of heap and definitely never needed to gc that much so good luck i guess :/

yeah there are ways to fix it but setting anything up will take time and when i go to work on monday my boss will be in india, his boss will be on my rear end (my boss's primary job function is to be a target for his boss), and the client will be broadcasting bitchy emails about how we're a bunch of clowns for only doing a much better job than the previous contractor along any meaningful metric. so I'm hoping p. hard right now that azul's poo poo really is jesus jizz for gc problems :smith:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gazpacho posted:

CGI vindicated once again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

that's what unicorn (ruby app server) does

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

BonzoESC posted:

unicorn (ruby app server)

:ughh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

:ughh:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the unicorn doesn't work!

did you install all the gems??

crunchy bacon!! :xd:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

and for things unicorn is bad at: http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

rotor posted:

this is why I cannot take ruby seriously

oh boy, an anime-themed language with libraries by people who think wearing sunglasses makes them a frat boy. sign me up!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

u'd be pretty lucky then

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Janin posted:

oh boy, an anime-themed language with libraries by people who think wearing sunglasses makes them a frat boy. sign me up!!

sure i mean if you're trapped in some sitcom version of 2007 or you habitually ignore languages because of imaginary people who use them then i guess this post makes sense

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
every time i read any programming thread i feel stupid as heck. fortunately it seems that all my coworkers are even dumber so i look competent compared to them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
u know, i r l

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Janin posted:

not gonna defend those weirdos because holy poo poo

but it has no bearing on the quality of the language and ignoring ruby because of them is pretty dumb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Char posted:

sure i mean if you're trapped in some sitcom version of 2007 or you habitually ignore languages because of imaginary people who use them then i guess this post makes sense
you also have to remember that some ruby people think wearing a helmet is key to extreme programming

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
on the other hand, python programmers

*pic of elgruntox*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tinselt0wn posted:

on the other hand, python programmers

*pic of elgruntox*

the ccd hasn't yet been made for a photo this large

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

BonzoESC posted:

you also have to remember that some ruby people think wearing a helmet is key to extreme programming

to be fair those helmets probably protect against all the things people want to throw at them

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

hand on mouse? not programming.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
btw, in javascript typeof null being object makes as much sense as typeof NaN being number. (both are correct)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
what's bad about coffeescript anyway

I don't web dev but I regularly hear about the landmines you need to dodge in JS, if I'm reading it right coffeescript gets rid of those and generates JS as its output

seems like a good idea but as usual I'm probably underestimating the deep theoretical underpinnings required to pop up a dialog box in a browser

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
some people don't like it :confused: it's just a preprocessor, although some don't like more moving parts in the build-chain

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like I enjoy whatever programming language I am using the most of at any point in time. Right now I like Ruby a lot, I like Java a lot (gently caress you owns), Python, C++, Javascript, whatever. I don't get why people don't like some languages, they are all good at poo poo

Also I don't know lots of languages and have no urge to learn things like Haskell, mostly because I would rather smoke weed and chill than learn a programming language. I assume this makes me a bad programmer, but idc :colbert:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Internaut! posted:

what's bad about coffeescript anyway

I don't web dev but I regularly hear about the landmines you need to dodge in JS, if I'm reading it right coffeescript gets rid of those and generates JS as its output

seems like a good idea but as usual I'm probably underestimating the deep theoretical underpinnings required to pop up a dialog box in a browser

it gets paraded around like the second coming and annoys everyone but as far as i can tell it's just java script: the good parts made into a language

e. i mean it's good, to be clear

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sweeper posted:

I feel like I enjoy whatever programming language I am using the most of at any point in time. Right now I like Ruby a lot, I like Java a lot (gently caress you owns), Python, C++, Javascript, whatever. I don't get why people don't like some languages, they are all good at poo poo

Also I don't know lots of languages and have no urge to learn things like Haskell, mostly because I would rather smoke weed and chill than learn a programming language. I assume this makes me a bad programmer, but idc :colbert:

this man has never programmed in vbscript

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hand on mouse? not programming.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

this man has never programmed in vbscript

true, i use only the most standard of programming languages

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 13, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I pretty much hate whatever language i'm using the most

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sweeper posted:

true, i use only the most standard of programming languages

consider it a blessing

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

BonzoESC posted:

do people pay cash dollars for solutions built on these things

how do you sell something like this to someone who wants a system built and has a pulse

"I'm here to tell you why this untested open source app server written in a third tier language by J Random Mong offering a fraction of the capability of mature free alternatives with bargeloads more risk is the perfect platform to bet your startup and your savings on"

"stop right there, where do I sign!"

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

ugh why would you put an exclamation mark in the name of your thing

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Internaut! posted:

how do you sell something like this to someone who wants a system built and has a pulse

"I'm here to tell you why this untested open source app server written in a third tier language by J Random Mong offering a fraction of the capability of mature free alternatives with bargeloads more risk is the perfect platform to bet your startup and your savings on"

it's not like you're going to put your whole stack on it, but if you want to use ruby and have special requirements it makes sense

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Internaut! posted:

even idiot idea people with money have heard of "ruby on rails," and they don't care about the details

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i have a C++ 101 exam tomorrow morning and the class facebook page which has been barren for the last 4 weeks we've had off has finally lit up this evening with hordes of "how do i do this question from the past exam papers"

loving neurotypicals amd theyre lazy ways piss me off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RoR is a great prototyping environment, and there's easy (relatively easy) paths to porting it to something more performant.

So the idea that you just want to get your poo poo up and functional asap and gently caress scaling until it actually becomes an issue is a perfectly reasonable choice in some circumstances.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

So the idea that you just want to get your poo poo up and functional asap and gently caress scaling until it actually becomes an issue is a perfectly reasonable choice in some circumstances.

ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bedshaped posted:

i have a C++ 101 exam tomorrow morning and the class facebook page which has been barren for the last 4 weeks we've had off has finally lit up this evening with hordes of "how do i do this question from the past exam papers"

loving neurotypicals amd theyre lazy ways piss me off
are you the ta