Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

At least this one actually posted in the MMO HMO. They're almost learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Yaos posted:

Something else funny, Active Worlds still exists but they have completely ignored every other virtual world and keep on moving with their pre-2000 technology. It's still kind of fun to pick a random location and see what somebody built 10 years ago.

The worst thing about this is that last time I checked they were still selling Uniserver licenses for the same ~2000$+ a year they were in 2000. I really want that server but not that much. :smith:

Zereth posted:

From what I've gathered, League of Legends [is the easiest game to grief].

The best thing about League is that sometimes you can utterly steamroll a team who's using standard builds just by doing something different they can't adapt to. They get really mad about this sometimes.

League has a champ named Veigar who is basically a black mage from final fantasy. He's supposed to be a ranged mage carry. He has a basic skill that creates a fairly large pentagon of towers with beams going between them. The towers only last for a few seconds but anyone who walks over one of the edges of the pentagon (being inside it is fine) gets stunned for a couple seconds. It's cheap and has a pretty fast cooldown. In games that are obviously stupid and ragey from the get-go, I build movespeed, survivability and cooldown reduction on him and spend the entire match zooming in, stunning as many people as possible and escaping. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it almost always gets me screamed at.

E: forgot another one that doesn't require any commitment: Anytime you're playing Kog'maw it's your duty to hit shift-1 repeatedly any time you gank someone, attack someone, pass by someone, notice someone on your minimap, or the wind blows. Doing this while moving doesn't break your movement command either, it just plays the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXVH_Fw6mM (skip to 0:25)

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 13, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

mcvey posted:

It's totally normal to scream racist poo poo when you're mad at a video game.

Oh god I gotta stop reading these. Help help I am being griefed.

I really wish I could lock that second guy in a room and ask him what he thinks Jim Crow laws were.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering they constantly fall for the "we need you to fork over some space cash so we know that you're legit" trick, I'd imagine that they think the :10bux: is just an extension of that.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really glad HoN didn't catch on with my friends now. Jesus this is awful, and the comments aren't helping much.
I'm almost writing-letters mad about this.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 13, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

I just don't understand how this happens. You would think they would read the thread for instructions on how to join instead of wasting 10 dollars because they have to be in RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

e: I forgot, was the j4g for APB last month or this one? Cause there's been like 5 in just this month. :psyduck:

5 a month, HEH. We have a j4g for every page in our thread :smug:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If you really want to grief DotA2, just join any game and comment on how similar it is to LoL.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Thompsons posted:

I really wish I could lock that second guy in a room and ask him what he thinks Jim Crow laws were.

But don't you see? That was ages ago! We have a black president, racism is over! (As you can tell by him using terrible racial slurs to insult people he doesn't like)

The simplest griefs are the best: back in Ragnarok Online, an acolyte or priest's portals could be set to go pretty much anywhere you'd been, and people would go mad when you dropped them. It didn't matter who bought it or where it went, as soon as it dropped, everyone would rush for it, because travel was hilariously expensive for low level players and walking from city to city usually meant dashing through some dangerous area and getting one-shot by some random monster and having to start all over when you respawned in the first city. All you had to do was set a portal either to the top floor of a dungeon or some town in the rear end-end of nowhere that no one ever went to, and announce "FREE POERTAL TO PRONTERA" on the off chance people didn't just rush for it immediately. If it was a dungeon, they "just" died and lost exp; if it was a distant city and they had no money, they had to either try to run home or try to get a friend to come get them.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

But don't you see? That was ages ago! We have a black president, racism is over! (As you can tell by him using terrible racial slurs to insult people he doesn't like)

The simplest griefs are the best: back in Ragnarok Online, an acolyte or priest's portals could be set to go pretty much anywhere you'd been,

I forget which city had it, but there was a map right below one of them with an enormous pillar. The only way off was a Fly Wing, and you could get up there with random Fly Wing spam. Forget sending them to cities, send them to a place where they can't escape at all unless they have a fly wing. Most low level players aren't going to carry them, and even then they're in a zone with monsters much higher mobs.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Is the $10 registration fee not enough of a deterrent for these people to do some basic research? :psyduck:

There should be an option for account creation that says "I'm signing up because I want to join Goonswarm" (or whatever it's called nowadays) that costs an extra :10bux: and doesn't actually do anything.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

A Pinball Wizard posted:

The simplest griefs are the best: back in Ragnarok Online, an acolyte or priest's portals could be set to go pretty much anywhere you'd been, and people would go mad when you dropped them.

I had a friend who basically only had one portal slot set to something useful, the other ones were set to dead tiles that you couldn't get out of (before items that teleported you around were easily attained- or at least common knowledge), and he lucked out once, occasionally maps were 'down' and you couldn't access them normally, but he had a warp there and would literally just send people into their doom.

I like to imagine their game crashed after taking that portal, as it tried to load an inaccessible area, and then when they could finally log in again hours later, wonder where the gently caress they are and how to get out. Early Ragnarok Online most people didn't go very far, I knew many people who would grind 20 levels in a single dungeon, only going to the closest town for healing items and to sell junk. Simply going from Prontera to Morroc (a relatively easy and quick trip) was unknown to many, and going from a wooded European style area and loading in the desert confused more than its fair share of new players.

Comic fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 13, 2012

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WAR FOOT posted:

If you really want to grief DotA2, just join any game and comment on how similar it is to LoL.

Easier than that. Change your steam name to "League of Legends Pro" and join a game.

Bonus points if you feed.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

waspinator posted:

Easier than that. Change your steam name to "League of Legends Pro" and join a game.

Bonus points if you feed.

Extra bonus points if you play terribly as well.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Disclaimer: Ragnarok Online is a lovely grindy MMO full of weeabos and pedophiles and is surviving on microtransactions so please do not play it.

Ragnarok Online is one of those games that, after playing for a while, you realized was built for griefing. All the gameplay mechanics make it very easy to make other players very angry.

1. The mob train
This one is a very simple grief and a lot of new players even do this one accidentally without realizing it! Mix two simple rules, get one easy grief stew:
- In RO enemies have no 'leash'. You can have an enemy chase you for hours and it won't give up.
- Enemies also have no 'aggro'. The rule is simply attack whatever is closest.
Therefore a clever player would soon realize he could drag 30+ enemies behind him while looking for an unsuspecting target!
Of course, you can prevent this from happing to you by having a Fly Wing, an item which teleports you to a random location nearby. Ironically, my favorite target for this type of grief, the high-level wizard, often carried a highly popular item known as a teleport clip, which is basically a fly wing that lasts forever, saving you a lot of money and carrying weight. Unfortunately, unlike a fly wing, it has the specific drawback of not being able to be used if you're casting. Guess what wizards do a lot that for some reason can't be cancelled in RO? :haw: So imagine you're a wizard and you just started warmin up your fireball or whatever and all of a sudden someone runs straight for you with a couple dozen pissed off enemies in tow: you're hosed, you know it, but there's nothing you can do but shout profanities into your chat box in exasperation.

2. The dead branch
Nothing made me realize RO was a game for griefing more than this item. This loving item. The dead branch was a pretty common item that, when used, summoned a random enemy - anything from the lowest level slime to very dangerous high level enemies that any player in their right mind would teleport away from as fast as their fat fingers would let them. These enemies persisted until the server reset, which in RO's case, was almost never.
There are so many ways to use a dead branch griefingly! You can go to a newbie zone and summon a bunch of strong enemies, shutting it down until high level players come clean it up. You can go to a bot-heavy map and shut down someone's item-farming business. But no, these aren't enough. You see, if you were a individual who obtained a large amount of wealth through shady dealings like me, you had access to a lot of dead branches. A LOT of dead branches. On my last day, I bought every dead branch I could. I must have had thousands of them, I know I had as many as I could carry eight times over. I went to the smallest, most crowded map there is, and started unleashing the chaos. Every square inch of that map became a wriggling, deadly mass of enemies. Any player who entered died instantly. (I managed to stay alive because using a Fly Wing grants you temporary invulnerability, while still allowing you to use more dead branches.) The best part of this grief is that after some trips back to town to pick up more branches, I had created so many enemies that the server crashed. It's always nice to leave on a good note, and knowing that I had stopped close to a thousand players from playing for a couple hours was good enough for me.
The best part about this grief though is that the game developers never removed the dead branch. It still works this way to this very day. In fact, a rarer item called the Bloody Branch was created which always creates a very powerful monster is now buyable...with actual money.

3. The death penalty
Doing grief #1 on a high-level player is it's own satisfaction. Death in RO is very punishing. When a player dies, they're sent back to whatever town they saved in, which without a priest to give you a portal (which can cost a good amount of money itself), could be up to fifteen minutes of walking to get back to where you were. (Also many routes to high-level grinding areas had lots of annoying and dangerous enemies which could also kill you, sending you back to start over again.) But the best part of getting someone killed is the EXP loss. Oh, the precious, precious EXP loss. 1% of a level may not sound like much, but at higher levels this can be as much as an hour of constant grinding lost from a single death. This EXP loss literally made a lot of good friends quit the game, since at higher levels that 1% per hour is actually achieved by doing risky things like killing a dozen enemies at a time - play it safe and you're looking at more like 1% every 2 or 3 hours! And if you're not max level yet you can forget about trying to kill some bosses - you're pretty much guaranteed to die several times over and it just isn't worth losing all that EXP you grinded out.
So Manslaughter, you may ask, how do I extract the EXP out of a player's soul intentionally and savor their tears? Why it's quite easy! Do grief #1. However, the most skilled players are too keen to fall for this trick...so it's time to resort to bannable offenses.
There are certain maps in RO which have no aggressive enemies on them which are scenic or newbie-friendly maps. Sometimes, players will go AFK on these maps for some reason or another, expecting to be fully safe. In this game? Yeah right. Simply find another player and use the dead branch in grief #2 until you get something good then run. Dead branch enemy proceeds to have it's way with AFK player. 1% exp loss...a good start! Now, you can resurrect players in RO if you're a priest (or have an expensive item called a Yggdrassil Leaf). Resurrecting a player in RO automatically pops them alive - no need to confirm on their end. So what you do is you resurrect them and get them killed a couple dozen times, and they'll come back to their dead corpse with weeks of grinding wasted - and there's no combat log in RO so they'll have no idea who it was or how it happened.

4. The hostage situation
Okay, I admit this one isn't so much a grief as much as a strategy for winning, but drat if it isn't frustrating to be on the bad end of.
In RO the endgame consists of guild vs guild fights to take over castles called the War of Emperium. These castles function like several maps joined together. The standard strategy to win the WoE is to set up a good defense in your castle at specific choke points, taking out anyone who tries to pass; to take a castle you have to get to the Emperium at the end and kill it. Taking a castle kicks everyone out who isn't in the killing guild.
With this rule came a clever strategy: assault a castle and kill the defenders, but don't kill the emperium; instead, get it to low health and set up your defense. If the enemy tries to come back, you can just kill it and kick them out! Manage to coordinate two characters in different guilds that are very fast specifically designed to kill emperiums and you can prevent an entire guild from taking their castle back for the entire war.

5. The bosses
This isn't a grief either but just how the game is but god drat if it isn't the stupidest thing ever so it deserves a spot here. EVERY BOSS in RO is only one SINGLE enemy on the server that often had a several hour respawn timer. This means that the boss was up for grabs by ANYBODY so good luck ever killing one. Also the bosses wandered around their map randomly so you had to search an entire map to find a boss. Also, once players had figured out the exact amount of time it took bosses to respawn, they had a huge advantage over other players since they could just go to where the boss is the minute it spawns instead of wandering around looking for it for an hour.

6. The priest
All of the griefs mentioned above (and the portal grief mentioned by other posters) wouldn't be possible if it weren't for this class. Priests had a multitude of abilities which hosed with gameplay. You can portal players to bumfuck nowhere, sure. But the priest also had three helpful spells and one debuff spell: heal, blessing, agility up, and agility down. The three helpful spells normally were used to make friendly players stronger...but for some :wtc: reason, the RO engine let you use these spells on monsters. While a player is fighting an enemy, you can sit there and spam heals on it until the player dies. You can cast agility up and blessing on enemies, making them stronger and move faster. Of course, agility down can be used on enemies, but this has the unintended side effect of making them unable to be grouped up with other enemies and killed in groups. Teleporting around and agi downing random enemies pissed off players a lot more than it should.

7. The game
Overall though like any bad game if you played Ragnarok Online legitimately you were griefing yourself. Why? Because the game is hilariously easy to bot and the simplicity of enemies and lack of effort on the part of the game master team and the fact that almost all the good items had a 1 in 10,000 drop chance that people kill each other in real life for practically put a big sticker on their game that said 'use automated programs to play me!' Seriously, just look at this video. Every player you see disappearing/appearing is a bot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BMnBWcyMU
And then since the game is so esoteric you can whip up a 'bot site' that gets hit by google and idiots will download your 'bot' that you made (which requires your username and password of course!) which 'crashes' (sends the information they typed in to your hotmail) and then you can harvest the accounts like delicious grief-candy.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Manslaughter posted:

2. The dead branch

There was a time in which you could use this in town. Where all the merchants would sit in lines AFK as people purchased their potions and such, possibly going hours without checking on the character.

You don't even need a great deal of dead branches, just one good one that doesn't get taken down particularly fast after releasing it in the midst of the town plaza.

Seeing Prontera scattered with merchant corpses knowing you've just prevent someone from profiting for the next x hours until they log in wondering what killed them in the middle of town was a great feeling.

(Ragnarok Online is terrible do not play it)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The only thing worth doing in RO is going on high rate private servers and pulling off #4. :v: Even that is debatable.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

2. The dead branch

This one is extra-fun when you realize that RO monsters can level up. So if you get a sufficiently dangerous monster, you can feed it bodies until it reaches level 99 and becomes even faster, stronger and tougher. Or just let it happen naturally.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
That kind of begs the question: Is WoE timed? If it isn't, couldn't you theoretically get to the hostage situation point and then spam dead branches in the room with to make it an inhospitable hellhole to both teams?

I wish I'd known that game was so griefable when I looked at and dismissed it years and years ago.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bucketmouse posted:

That kind of begs the question: Is WoE timed? If it isn't, couldn't you theoretically get to the hostage situation point and then spam dead branches in the room with to make it an inhospitable hellhole to both teams?

I wish I'd known that game was so griefable when I looked at and dismissed it years and years ago.

WoE ocurred at set times throughout the week. I think it was something like 1-2 hours on wednesday and friday or something like that.

I recall griefing with a sage spell called abracadabra, maybe someone with a better memory of this awful game can explain it as I don't recall the specifics. It was kind of like the random effects you get from playing a wild mage in baldurs gate 2.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I guess this would be a perfect place for a story from yesterday.

I'm sure everyone has heard of the new mod for ArmA 2 that's really caught on, Day Z. For the uninformed, Day Z is basically "that zombie game" everyone always discusses when they talk about a dream zombie apocalypse game. It's a large, open world multiplayer mod for the military sim ArmA 2. It's clunky, has a bad UI and has a learning cliff rather that a curve, but this mod has put sales through the roof.

The idea of the mod is simply to survive. The undead are everywhere in towns, but towns are where you need to go to scrounge around for guns, ammo, food and water. Yes, you need to eat and drink to survive of course. If the looming threat of starvation, dehydration and hordes of vicious, flesh-eating zombies wasn't enough, the biggest threat in the game is other players.

There is no limits on PVP. Any player can kill any other player, whether in a desperate attempt to get food or water they so badly need or just because they want your things. Hell, there doesn't even need to be a reason really. When you die, that's it. You start over. All of your things stay on your corpse and you respawn somewhere at random with the near-useless starting loadout. This game is mean. Very mean.

That doesn't stop some players from trying to be nice though. This is where our story proper begins. Having found a salvageable bus, a few goons were hanging out in a town and trying to fix it up enough to drive it. That's when we got word that some of the other pubbie players had got a helicopter working.

What do they do with their amazing helicopter(armed with two powerful machineguns mind you)? They play "airline" and start ferrying people around and generally spreading the wealth and fun of having quick, easy transport in a game where the next town over could literally be a half-hour run away.

We wanted that helicopter. We had a plan.

Simpa, another goon who didn't have the feared [LLJK] tag that seemed to scare other players on instinct at this point, managed to convince the helicopter to come pick him up. Our plan was that he'd approach the helicopter but not get in. I'd wait in the bushes nearby and shoot the pilot, at which point he'd hop into the pilot seat and fly away, effectively taking all of the passengers hostage as there were no parachutes.

Like all good heists, it didn't go as planned.

The helicopter landed and when Simpa approached, I shot the pilot in the head. Before Simpa could get in another man leaped into the pilot seat, who I also shot. One of the other passengers leaped out of the back and managed to shoot Simpa in the chest before I could shoot him, causing Simpa to bleed out pretty fast.

A man jumped on the gunner seat next and I shot him in the face, but now I had to reload. As I did, a new pilot took over and managed to fly the chopper into the sky, retreating to the northwest.

If we couldn't have it, nobody could.

Having reloaded, I took aim at the chopper, right below the main rotor. I fired and saw a metallic flash where the bullet impacted the rotor's workings. I feared that nothing happened, until I saw the rotors beginning to slow, then whir to a stop in mid air.

The entire chopper with all of it's remaining passengers plummeted from the sky and slammed into the ground, exploding in a massive fireball and killing everyone instantly. The entire field was now covered in dead bodies and wreckage, I had ended the zombie apocalypse's friendliest public transportation system essentially just because I felt like it.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
How is the community in Star Trek Online, or the game itself for that matter. I was kind of considering it, but as all MMO type games, I get bored quickly and usually just grief/gently caress around until I either get kicked or just uninstall it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

OrangeSoda posted:

zombie apocalypse's friendliest public transportation system
Looking at it a different way, you just eliminated the competition for the Murderbus Transit Service. Offer free rides on the goonbus!

Next stop: respawn.

Ribbo
Jun 28, 2009

by T. Smith

Boba_Fettish posted:

How is the community in Star Trek Online,

Just tell people you are a huge fan of Voyager, that does the trick.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ribbo posted:

Just tell people you are a huge fan of Voyager, that does the trick.

I liked Voyager :( Except for that one goddamn stupid episode with the evolution fuckery. You know the one. It was something to help turn my brain off before bedtime v:v:v

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Boba_Fettish posted:

How is the community in Star Trek Online, or the game itself for that matter. I was kind of considering it, but as all MMO type games, I get bored quickly and usually just grief/gently caress around until I either get kicked or just uninstall it.
"Where are the jedi sabers???"
On that note, in SWTOR: "I think Picard would beat Anakin any day in a fight"

It works much better with Star Trek games for some reason.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Goofballs posted:

Amusingly I asked in the League of Legends thread if it was easily griefable and they responded poorly. I play a lot of APB and that is a griefy game but its hard. Bloodline Champions was hard to grief even when I just hung out at spawn no one said anything

You basically asked them "How do I troll you guys? Please provide an itemized list. Including your deepest insecurities would be a plus" and then were shocked at them getting annoyed.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
This would probably work in Star Trek Online. I used it on a trekkie message board my ex used to go to:
"i think john luck picker is a bad captin"

I had everyone on my rear end, from grammar nazis, to Picard fans. The Kirk fans started arguing with the Picard fans over who was a better captain, you know the drill.
Trekkies are so easy. I really don't know why. Does anyone else know?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I am reminded of an awesome t-shirt I saw in a comic which had the starship Voyager on the front and the text Star Wars written above it. It'd be the perfect thing to wear to any scifi convention.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I liked Voyager :( Except for that one goddamn stupid episode with the evolution fuckery. You know the one. It was something to help turn my brain off before bedtime v:v:v
Yeah I liked it too. It wasn't perfect but it was entertaining. :shobon:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

PokeWarVeteran posted:

This would probably work in Star Trek Online. I used it on a trekkie message board my ex used to go to:
"i think john luck picker is a bad captin"

Or roleplaying as Picard's jilted lover Jean-Charles

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Is ARMA 2 any good? Is there a thread for goons in the zombie mod?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Oppenheimer posted:

Is ARMA 2 any good? Is there a thread for goons in the zombie mod?
Day Z
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481582
ARMA 2
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342764

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You basically asked them "How do I troll you guys? Please provide an itemized list. Including your deepest insecurities would be a plus" and then were shocked at them getting annoyed.

The LoL thread has lots of angry people in it that love posting about how they just lost all the games they played due to no fault of their own and if you reply to them along lines "so I watched your replay and you aren't as faultless as you think" then you get two pages of people telling you that you are terrible and should never post again and then they go back to talking about how Riot has flagged them for losses and that's why they always get so terrible teams. The newest thread title "An Ongoing Dunning-Kruger Effect Study" is very fitting.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Sounds like it worked to me. They didn't even have to log into the game. :allears:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Heroes of Newerth has an amazingly bad community. Just for the hell of it I installed it and decided to check it out. While waiting for a game, I decided to use the chat. I said nothing inflammatory, I just said hey everybody and asked how they were doing, polite stuff. I was then told to shut the gently caress up and was insulted in various ways. After that I managed to get into a game and immediately ran to the middle lane where some dude apparently had claimed it and was pissed off at me for being there. He then called a restart because of me, when the game hadn't even started yet. I joined another game and the same thing happened, except before the restart could happen I was kicked out of the game because of lag or something.

It's amazing that you can piss these people off just by being there :stare:

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

It works much better with Star Trek games for some reason.

I like this already. Also the Voyager thing, but I don't think I can choke on my own poo poo long enough to say I liked Voyager for more than a couple sentences. Still might be a fun mess around free game for a weekend or something. The DayZ mod looks really fun, an apocalypse is nothing if not grief.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Biowarfare posted:

I always used the: "Why do i have to call for a shuttle when they can just beam up on the tv show????" Never failed to rile someone up.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I had to test how griefable EVE pubbies are. I posted "Goonfleet/Goonswarm is looking for new members - contact me to apply." in the local chat, and got one private chat and an e-mail of people interesting to join.

This is amazing. I'll be filthy rich!

edit: aww... but this is fun!

quote:

Lela Li > hi
Grawl > Hello.
Lela Li > goons are recruiting?
Grawl > Yes, we need new members after our last Jita stunt.
Lela Li > i see
Grawl > Are you interested? Read everything on https://www.goonfleet.net first.
Lela Li > hm i see a different websites for the main site
Lela Li > and its saying i need a something awful account
Grawl > Or a sponsor, which I am.
Lela Li > why are the sites different?
Grawl > If you just buy an SA account you won't get it, your account is too young.
Grawl > what main site?
Grawl > if you mean goonfleet.com, that's for members only
Lela Li > https://auth.goonfleet.com/
Lela Li > so I don't apply to become a member?
Lela Li > lol
Grawl > first option - "[ I DO NOT have an account and I am registering for GoonWaffe as an SA member or am being Sponsored ]"
Lela Li > need a key
Grawl > did you read goonfleet.net?
Lela Li > yes
Grawl > we ask for a deposit so we don't get spies, you will get it back +10% within 30 days
Lela Li > um
Lela Li > how much is it?
Grawl > 500mil
Lela Li > ok i can do that
Lela Li > but i want to be in corp first
Grawl > you're missing the point - we need the deposit so we know we are dealing with honest people here
Grawl > if you don't trust it, I can understand
Grawl > but remember we are a big corp
Lela Li > no I'm not missing the point; not with the goon reputation am I giving a deposit first
Lela Li > :)
Lela Li > if there is something to work out then ok
Grawl > alright, half/half then? I don't know if you're trustable either. If you do 250mil now, I'll get you in and then I'll have to trust you you'll pay the rest.
Lela Li > sry, my friend just said goons scam. dunno if i can trust you
Grawl > that's ok, I don't mind, too bad we have this horrible reputation though
Lela Li > yea
Grawl > well if you ever change your mind, let me know.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 14, 2012

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tsurupettan posted:

Sounds like it worked to me. They didn't even have to log into the game. :allears:

If that was his intent, it certainly worked, but from his posts it seemed like he was honestly expecting a less than hostile reaction.

LoL is incredibly easy to grief though. Even if you're trying to avoid getting banned so that can you can annoy people at level 30 (eg people who will care) you can do ANYTHING to upset them. Build something other than the normal stock items for a character. Use an unorthodox combination of champions if you're with a buddy. Play Evelynn (seriously, just select her in champion select, instant rage) and/or select Revive as a summoner spell. Once I said "good luck, have fun" and instantly got two people saying "gently caress you".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Grawl posted:

I had to test how griefable EVE pubbies are. I posted "Goonfleet/Goonswarm is looking for new members - contact me to apply." in the local chat, and got one private chat and an e-mail of people interesting to join.

This is amazing. I'll be filthy rich!

edit: aww... but this is fun!

You have to promise them the world first, say they get the deposit back after 2 weeks with 10% interest, say they receive free ships etc etc. I promised a mark of mine a free carrier in a C5 and got half a bil right away. They should really want to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right