Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Who had the pic of the guy who was like 5'3" stopped at a light on a KLR650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I repeat, do not buy a Buell Blast. It doesn't matter (sorry) if there is a smattering of people who like them. They are hateful, vile little things with no redeeming value compared to easily obtainable and cheap competitors.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Far better than a blast - a 90s Yamaha TY250 mono trials bike with lighting kit and the obligatory Pirelli MT43s. Not only will she be able to get a leg down, her wheelies will soon exceed your own and you can compete on it for shits and giggles.

Look, I even found one for you (minus road kit), and note the goon-approved track stand.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Spiffness posted:

I repeat, do not buy a Buell Blast. It doesn't matter (sorry) if there is a smattering of people who like them. They are hateful, vile little things with no redeeming value compared to easily obtainable and cheap competitors.

Yes ignore the people who actually have experience on a Blast outside of an MSF course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

Yes ignore the people who actually have experience on a Blast outside of an MSF course.

This is what Erik Buell did to a Buell Blast in 2010.

I think that's fairly conclusive. :devil:

Meanwhile, check out that TY mono. Just look at that handsome motherfucker.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What ended up happening to Erik that same year?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

You can't blame that entirely on the Blast

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

He took his own life after realising he had allowed his name to become associated with the Buell Blast? :stare:

Splizwarf, clearly the only solution is a leg extension kit.

Once the incisions have healed she should be able to start riding again within a week or two. Finding jeans that fit may take more time of course, but that's a problem many goons have.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Saga posted:

This is what Erik Buell did to a Buell Blast in 2010.

I think that's fairly conclusive. :devil:

Regardless of your opinion on the Blast, that's a sad way for any vehicle to end up.

Also, Splizwarf, I found a solution that should work for you:

Just stick two inches of foam down in there and you're set.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Would something like a Triumph Bonneville be too cruiser-y?

A Bonnie is not very cruiser-ish, and it's not especially huge, but I think it's too much bike for a newer rider. At least here in California, you probably won't find a running one under $5000, which is about $4750 more than I paid for my first bike. I adore my Bonneville, but I'd be a little worried putting a new rider on it because it really likes to get going in 1st gear--when putting my way out of the parking lot, I've managed to accidentally goose it once or twice (twitchy hand, speed bump, I don't even remember) and it'll really jerk your head back good.

Like I said, I love the Bonnie, but I'd be a little worried putting a relatively inexperienced 4'11" rider on it.

What about an older UJM, maybe in the 250 range? Depending where you are, you can probably get one pretty cheap--I picked up a 1982 Suzuki GS650GL for $250 back in Rochester NY and it served me well, and when I inevitably dropped it while practicing for the CA motorcycle ride test I didn't really care.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Honda CB200/300.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Honda CB200/300.

Yeah -- if you can find a running one that hasn't been chopped into an awful café, and you can avoid/don't care about the hipster tax, those little old Hondas would be ideal. I encountered a CB175 a couple weeks ago and it's adorable, like an 85% scale model of my 350, which is already pretty small. I don't imagine it would handle the interstate but it would be a ton of fun to putter around town.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

astrollinthepork posted:

Yes, because Blasts are awful, no matter where they are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zool posted:

CB175 with a flat pan seat.

DON'T GET ME loving STARTED ON THIS!
The guy with the xl175 didn't exactly pan out.
I am sad :(

I hope splitz gets a blast and proves us all wrong.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Honda CB200/300.

I think Tommy's 200 and my 360 might both still be a touch too tall for her.
I had the pleasure of meeting her in person and she is adorably pocket sized.

the 360 I bought for my girl is too tall for her at the moment and she's got a couple inches or so on Splizwarf's lovely lady.

However the CB125 I just bought for my girlfriend might be right up her alley. I'll be sure to bring it down as soon as I get it running so she can try it out, Splitz.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

Manayunk Triumph?

That'd be the one.

Heard from a guy i know they were really good, they give him loaner bikes whenever he needs work done on his. You know anything about 'em?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cut the seat down a bit then. Or get one that has already been all cafed out.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

That'd be the one.

Heard from a guy i know they were really good, they give him loaner bikes whenever he needs work done on his. You know anything about 'em?

They used to do my service work something like 8 years ago when I lived in Narberth. I'm assuming it still has the same ownership. They had a really good guy running the workshop but he's long gone now. At the time they were unusual in that it gave the impression it was a bike shop owned by enthusiastic bikers. Most of the other shops had the air of a lovely used car dealership, in their defence probably because they were selling bikes to young dudes who didn't know anything about bikes and would be fairly awful to deal with.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Cut the seat down a bit then. Or get one that has already been all cafed out.

This is most likely going to happen. I'm interested to see what Gweenz's seat looks like when it's done.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

However the CB125 I just bought for my girlfriend might be right up her alley. I'll be sure to bring it down as soon as I get it running so she can try it out, Splitz.

This sounds rad. Alternate option: (couples?) Indian food and seeing it before it's done (ie this year :razz:).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

This sounds rad. Alternate option: (couples?) Indian food and seeing it before it's done (ie this year :razz:).

HA! Well seeing it before it's done could be pretty much any time this century at this rate. But yeah that sounds spectacular. Your lady could also come sit on the 360 and determine just how much too big it is.

Rowe
May 16, 2006
I'm meeting up to check this bike out tonight.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/3015992080.html

I've only ridden cruisers and dirt bikes before. Is there anything special to check out when test riding a sport bike I should be aware of?

Rowe fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 15, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does that chain look loose to anyone?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
A little bit loose, I think. Probably ready to be readjusted.

I'd check out the valve head gasket, make sure it's not seeping (the last and only R6 I test-rode had a leaky gasket). Make sure the front fork seals aren't leaky as well.

that one's a sexy bike, but I'd replace the headlight.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I just registered for the MSF on June 8th, and I've started trawling craigslist for bikes.

EDIT: Too late, I bought it:

1988 Honda Hawk GT. Been my dream bike ever since I started reading about motorcycles.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 16, 2012

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Rowe posted:

I'm meeting up to check this bike out tonight.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/3015992080.html

I've only ridden cruisers and dirt bikes before. Is there anything special to check out when test riding a sport bike I should be aware of?

It looks pretty good! I am not an expert by any means, but I am not sure if that is really a Raven R6. I bought a similar one last year, and my tank is a lot darker than the one in the picture, as is the fairing under the seat.

I took mine to a local shop that 3 other people recommended me and they put it on a dyno for me. The owner told me that these types of bikes are ones that people like to stunt, and a good way to find that out is to see if the bike stays in gear at high RPMs in first and second. He said mine didn't have any issues but a lot of time apparently what happens is when people use them for stunts is that the bike will fall out of 2nd gear at higher rpms.

I really love mine and wish I could give you some better tips, but it is a great bike. Good luck!

Edit: Forgot, make sure your horn, and blinkers work!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That seems like an overly complex way to check for stunting, generally you just check for play in the head bearings (i.e. the handlebars wiggle along an axis not the steering axis.)

Was it that gen R6 that had oil starvation problems when wheelied?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I finished my MSF course last month and currently saving up to buy my first bike. Looking to get a older UJM like a Honda CL/CB350 that I can use for weekend riding. I'm 5'6 so I figured a 350 would be a good compromise between height, fuel efficiency and power starting out.

There's an garage in Los Angeles that does somewhat costly resto jobs on these http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/3008541762.html

The owner of the garage priced out a restoration of a '69 CL350 at 3-3.5k. I know that craigslist ads like this one are considerably cheaper than that: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2993213194.html

but I'm willing to pay a bit more for something that I know has been worked on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can get a 350 in solid running shape for like 1200 bucks, even with the hipster tax. A picture-perfect restoration like your first link might be worth what they're asking, but do you really want a fully restored vintage bike as your first? It's going to get dinged up. Get something that's a little dusty and rusty and clean it up yourself instead!

The second link, well, it's in nice cosmetic shape and I don't know what prices are like in SoCal but that seems awfully expensive. If that were in my area I wouldn't pay more than about 1800 dollars, and only if the tires were literally brand new Michelins like she says. Also, I question what she means by it being "tuned" with aftermarket air filters on it -- these bikes almost require the stock airbox to run properly.

Also three more points

1. CloFan has a CL350 and claims it's a little too tall for him at 5'7"; my CL350 is just about right for me or just barely on the small side and I'm 5'11"

2. Old carbureted bikes don't have mind-blowing fuel efficiency...remember that cars using similar technology were getting like 10 mpg.

3. Honda 350s are some of the most reliable vintage bikes out there, but they're still vintage bikes with quirks that need more attention than something modern, regardless of how well worked-over they are when you buy one

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Who had the pic of the guy who was like 5'3" stopped at a light on a KLR650

I'm still waiting to see this pic :colbert:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

You can get a 350 in solid running shape for like 1200 bucks, even with the hipster tax. A picture-perfect restoration like your first link might be worth what they're asking, but do you really want a fully restored vintage bike as your first? It's going to get dinged up. Get something that's a little dusty and rusty and clean it up yourself instead!
Thanks, it seems like most old UJMs in Los Angeles are running around 2500-4000 for models that haven't even had a wrench shaken at them. I do like the idea of riding a standard for a first bike, and I love the classic late 60s -70s style.

Not going to be ready to get ahold of a bike until late July, otherwise I'd be looking more closely at this one: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3015106822.html

CX500s don't come up that often here for whatever reason, though Silverwing 500s do.

VVV I can't believe how low the cycle prices are I've been seeing here. VVV

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 16, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Thanks, it seems like most old UJMs in Los Angeles are running around 2500-4000 for models that haven't even had a wrench shaken at them. I do like the idea of riding a standard for a first bike, and I love the classic late 60s -70s style.

Not going to be ready to get ahold of a bike until late July, otherwise I'd be looking more closely at this one: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3015106822.html

CX500s don't come up that often here for whatever reason, though Silverwing 500s do.

Just keep looking, I got a 79 CX500, running but not beautiful for $250. The guy said it got hit on the street and 'didn't have the know how to fix the blinkers to make it street legal again, or how to get it running'. $250 and a bump start later I was on my way home with it.

See, ugly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just keep looking, I got a 79 CX500, running but not beautiful for $250. The guy said it got hit on the street and 'didn't have the know how to fix the blinkers to make it street legal again, or how to get it running'. $250 and a bump start later I was on my way home with it.

See, ugly.

How is that not beautiful? It's loving perfect. That tank and all.

Maybe a better seat and some more comfy handlebars and you'll be happy as a clam.
(I'm jealous)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

See, ugly.

That's an interesting seat/handlebars combo there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ well, the main seat is pretty low and has a butt-bump like a café seat...but it also has a pillion. Best of both worlds!
(no seriously K/Q seats are the worst)

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

VVV I can't believe how low the cycle prices are I've been seeing here. VVV

I think the problem you've got is living in a place where you can ride 365 days a year. A motorcycle being sold in Minnesota is going to go for a lot less than anything you can find in LA, because you're stuck with it taking up space in your garage for half the year. And there's trendiness to deal with; that CX500 has a KBB of 850 dollars (SaNChEzZ ripped that guy off if it really was just a battery and turn signals), while the 350s you're looking at are attractive to hipsters so their KBB is 1400 bucks despite being older, slower and made in greater numbers. And late spring is probably the worst possible time to be a buyer because, well, that's when everyone starts thinking about motorcycles.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Best looking nerf bars ever.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ well, the main seat is pretty low and has a butt-bump like a café seat...but it also has a pillion. Best of both worlds!
(no seriously K/Q seats are the worst)

I think the problem you've got is living in a place where you can ride 365 days a year. A motorcycle being sold in Minnesota is going to go for a lot less than anything you can find in LA, because you're stuck with it taking up space in your garage for half the year. And there's trendiness to deal with; that CX500 has a KBB of 850 dollars (SaNChEzZ ripped that guy off if it really was just a battery and turn signals), while the 350s you're looking at are attractive to hipsters so their KBB is 1400 bucks despite being older, slower and made in greater numbers. And late spring is probably the worst possible time to be a buyer because, well, that's when everyone starts thinking about motorcycles.

Best looking nerf bars ever.

He had it listed at $250 and just happened to be a block from my office. i didn't even have to lowball :colbert:

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's an interesting seat/handlebars combo there.

Yes, it came with the K+Q seat and I got the bars to replace the half ape hangers that were on it originally. It wasn't that horrible to ride actually.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How is that not beautiful? It's loving perfect. That tank and all.

Maybe a better seat and some more comfy handlebars and you'll be happy as a clam.
(I'm jealous)

I was going to get another seat for it, but paying more for a pan/seat than I paid for the bike just wouldn't go through my head properly. I rode it for a year and sold it for $800. Can't complain about that!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SaNChEzZ posted:

The 500 Deluxe must have a range of like...infinity minus a mile. I think I ran the theoretical numbers when you first picked this up. What have you been getting did you get out of it?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

The 500 Deluxe must have a range of like...infinity minus a mile. I think I ran the theoretical numbers when you first picked this up. What have you been getting out of it?

Honestly I never really bothered to check, it was more for shits and cackles giggles as I had a SV650 that I commuted on. (had the pipes off for a while)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I still love the retro look of the 70s UJMs but drat if this thread hasn't introduced the idea of picking up a naked modern standard like a SV or FZ6.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/3009811894.html

32" seat height's probably too tall for somebody with a 29" inseam starting out though.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I still love the retro look of the 70s UJMs but drat if this thread hasn't introduced the idea of picking up a naked modern standard like a SV or FZ.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/3009811894.html

32" seat height's probably too tall for somebody with a 29" inseam starting out though.

You could easily lower that bike.